Sign in to follow this  
seanbrock

Food Thread

Arby Sauce = liquid crack. I always take like 10 packs of it every time I go in.

When I am at the drive through I tell them to give me enough to take a bath in.

If you're talking about the horsey sauce, I couldn't agree any more.

If you're talking about the horsey sauce, I couldn't agree any more.

No, they're talking about that "red ranch" disgustingness that they put on the sandwiches. I like Arby's, but always ask for that shit off.

What is up with you Zack ? You turn down some of the best foods in the world broski...

I don't know how many of you have a Crock-Pot, but I made this great recipe several weeks ago that was really hearty and had great flavor. It was called Crock-Pot Cheese Tortellini.

Ingredients:

1 (19oz) bag of frozen cheese tortellini

1 small bag of fresh spinach (I used about half of a 5 oz package, but more is better!)

2 (14.5 oz) cans of Italian style diced tomatoes, drained

1 block (8 oz) of cream cheese or neufchatel (less fat)

1 lb. of ground sausage or chicken/turkey sausage

4 cups of chicken broth

Brown the sausage and put all ingredients in crockpot,chunking up the cream cheese.

Cook on low for 4-6 hrs.

Serves 4-6

*Keep an eye on your tortellini, it may be done sooner.

*If still soupy, leave lid off for the last half hour or so of cooking.

IMG_2723.JPG

I loves me some Alaskan Cod right about now. Been on a 4 piece a day craze. Don't even feel fully satisfied after eating it. The texture and juice are just so appetizing. This should have been implemented into my weight lifting regimen years ago.

Over this past winter, I was financially boned by some severe car issues, so I had to learn how to cook cheap but make it taste good. One thing I found is that the Progresso soups are a few spices away from being pretty damn good.

Cayenne

Pepper

Garlic Powder (not garlic salt)

Minced Garlic

Minced Onion

Ad a bit of each as the soup is cooking and you have something that you never knew could taste so good out of a can.

Edited by BwareDWare94

Over the past couple years I've made a huge effort to start eating healthy foods and use high quality ingredients. I buy organic and all natural when I can and have mostly eliminated sugar from my diet outside of what's in fruit.

I've been eating a lot of burgers at home lately after working out. What seasonings and ingredients do you guys use? I use 93% lean ground beef, cheddar cheese, and whole grain buns with pepper, garlic powder, and a small amount of salt.

Pepper, salt, and garlic powder are honestly the perfect seasoning. Personally, I like to make mixes or dry rubs for myself and for when I entertain, and that's about as good as it gets for burgers because too many things tend to just cancel each other out and you don't taste anything.

Organic meat is certainly a better way to go, but the price isn't worth it most of the time, imo. Do you have a meat market in wherever, Nebraska that you frequent? I find organic milk to taste much, much better as well, but a 4-5 bucks for half a gallon is absurd. As for vegetables and fruit--organic is so unnecessary if it costs more, and there aren't any major benefits to it, anyway.

One thing I like to do is mix chopped vegetables into my burgers. Not onions--I prefer them as an addition. When they get cooked inside the burger you barely taste them. Something that's really good in a burger is a chopped up bell pepper. I prefer green but would try anything else. I don't like the concept of juicy lucys so I tend to just add some kind of cheese, depending on the other ingredients. I try to use whole wheat buns but a lot of the people I cook for are fucking pussies when it comes to food.

Do you set the buns face down on the grates or pan for awhile? A toasted bun takes a burger over the top.

Speaking of mushrooms...

13089-2.JPG

The lion’s mane—also called the bearded mushroom, or yamabushitake in Japanese—is a pristine white fungus found in woodlands all over the world. The species (Hericium erinaceus) is easily identifiable for its cascading spines, which are pliable and feel like rubber.
“I describe it as one of nature’s best examples of grace and elegance,” says mycologist Paul Stamets, author of six books on fungi and director of research at mushroom retailer Fungi Perfecti. “When you touch them, each spine is very, very delicate and can bend, but as a conglomerate of thousands of these little spines, they’re quite hefty and firm.”
And besides being a good source of protein like other mushrooms, several studies suggest that the lion’s mane can benefit neural and mental health. “I believe it to be the first ‘smart’ mushroom,” Stamets says.
13088-1.JPG
For instance, research by Hirokazu Kawagishi, a biochemistry professor at Shizuoka University in Japan, and colleagues identified compounds in the mushroom that induced the synthesis of proteins called nerve growth factors, which promote nerve survival and proliferation (the work was done in vivo as well as in rats).
Kawagishi also conducted a small, preliminary clinical trial in which six out of seven patients with dementia showed physical and cognitive improvement after eating soup containing the mushroom for six months on a daily basis. (For a review of Kawagishi's work, appearing in Drugs of the Future in 2008, click here.)
Meanwhile, a double-blind, placebo-controlled study, published in Phytotherapy Research in 2009, found that the fungus helped improve mild cognitive impairment in a small group of Japanese men and women aged 50-80. Further, a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of 30 women, appearing in 2010 in Biomedical Research, suggested that the species has the potential to reduce depression and anxiety.
While more research is necessary to establish just how beneficial H. erinaceus might be to our brains, the mushrooms make for good eatin’. They taste like lobster or shrimp when cooked, says Stamets, and he suggests caramelizing them in olive oil, de-glazing them in sake wine, and then finishing them with butter when cooking. He also warns to avoid eating raw ’shrooms—“you get virtually no nutritional benefit” compared to when they’re cooked.
You can try foraging for the mushroom in late summer into fall—there are no poisonous look-alikes, according to Stamets—but they decompose quickly. They’re also hard to find in stores, so Stamets suggests growing your own. It’ll be worth it. “They’re super delicious,” he says.

source: http://www.sciencefriday.com/blogs/04/10/2015/picture-of-the-week-lion-s-mane-mushroom.html?series=31

• Upvote 1