Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Update: Andy Dalton sharp once again in win

4 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

TIME: 01:00 P.M. EST

VENUE: Paul Brown Stadium

For much of the past eight seasons, the Cincinnati Bengals have dominated the Cleveland Browns.

If quarterback Andy Dalton can add to his solid rookie campaign, the Bengals might continue that mastery of their rivals Sunday at Paul Brown Stadium.

Cincinnati's season-opening 27-17 win in Cleveland on Sept. 11 was its 11th in 14 matchups with the Browns. The Bengals (6-4) have also prevailed in six of seven home meetings, and enter this one having fallen just short during consecutive seven-point defeats.

Dalton was intercepted at Pittsburgh's 19-yard line late in the fourth quarter of a 24-17 loss Nov. 13, and Cincinnati couldn't get past Baltimore's 7-yard line on its final drive during last week's 31-24 defeat.

That loss dropped the Bengals a game behind the Steelers and Ravens in the AFC North.

Dalton finished with a career-best 373 yards against Baltimore. He also recorded his 15th touchdown pass, joining Peyton Manning and Dan Marino as the only rookies to accomplish that feat in 10 games since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger.

Dalton, though, was also picked off a career-worst three times after throwing two interceptions the previous week.

"Three mistakes and all three of them I can live with," offensive coordinator Jay Gruden told the Bengals' official website. "He did a great job. For the most part having to come from behind and throw (a career-high 45) times ... he kept us in it."

Dalton missed the second half of the season opener against Cleveland (4-6) after injuring his right wrist and his replacement, Bruce Gradkowski, threw a go-ahead 41-yard touchdown pass to A.J. Green with 4:28 left.

The Bengals' leading receiver, however, has missed the past six quarters with a hyperextended right knee.

"I hope I can be back this week," Green said.

Dalton might need Green's help as he faces a Cleveland defense that's giving up a league-low 166.5 passing yards per game and is fifth with an average of 305.8 total yards allowed.

That hasn't translated to too many wins for the Browns because of an offense that ranks near the bottom in the league with averages of 14.5 points and 298.1 yards.

Cleveland, though, managed to end a season-high three-game skid last week by topping Jacksonville 14-10. The Browns scored two touchdowns for the first time in five weeks and held the Jaguars at the 1-yard line over the game's final two plays.

Cleveland is 3-1 in games that have been decided by four points or fewer.

"I like suspense," right tackle Tony Pashos said. "But man, this is a little too much."

The Browns might have running backs Peyton Hillis and Montario Hardesty available should they need to pull out another tight game.

Hillis, who has missed six straight games with a hamstring injury, practiced Friday for the first time in three weeks. Hardesty has sat out the past three contests with an injured calf.

Chris Ogbonnaya ran for a career-high 115 yards last week.

"I think Chris has been very productive. He's done things for our team that will warrant him playing, at least some, when our other guys come back," coach Pat Shurmur said. "We'll just see how it goes when they come back. I'm not concerned about that. That's a good problem to have, when you have a line of guys that you feel good about."

Fullback Owen Marecic is still dealing with symptoms of a concussion sustained last week, meaning tight end Alex Smith could start in his place.

Hillis had a team-best 57 yards on 17 carries in the opener against the Bengals, while Cedric Benson rushed for 121 and a touchdown for Cincinnati. Benson has yet to top that total in his eight subsequent games and has failed to surpass 78 in each of his last five.

Benson, though, might have a chance at an improved performance this week. He ran for 150 yards during a 19-17 home win over the Browns on Dec. 19 and had 171 during a 14-0 victory in Cleveland in 2008.

Cleveland's Colt McCoy, who has posted a 72.5 completion percentage over the past two games, connected on a career-best 76.0 percent of his attempts (19 of 25) during his only start in Cincinnati last December.

McCoy, though, was 19 of 40 against the Bengals in September while throwing two touchdowns and an interception.

Copyright 2011 by STATS LLC and The Associated Press

Edited by BLUE

Bengals played well but not well enough in a tough stretch, they're coming into this game hungry for a win. The Browns still play not to lose so...

:Bengals: 27

:Browns: 17

Montario Hardesty (calf) is active for Sunday's game against the Bengals.

Hardesty may start, but he'll be spelled plenty by Peyton Hillis and Chris Ogbonnaya. It's a low-upside fantasy situation as the Bengals rank third in the league against the run.

The Browns inactives: QB Thaddeus Lewis, FB Owen Marecic, T Oniel Cousins, C/G Steve Vallos, DE Jayme Mitchell, LB Quinton Spears and S T.J. Ward.

A.J. Green (knee) is active for Sunday's game against the Browns, as expected.

Green will see a full complement of snaps after sitting out last week's loss to the Ravens. He'll likely be shadowed by Joe Haden, but is still a WR2 thanks to his elite playmaking ability. As for the Bengals' inactives, DE Carlos Dunlap misses his second game in the last three weeks due to a nagging hamstring issue.

The rest: S Robert Sands, LB Dontay Moch, OG Clint Boling, OT Anthony Collins, TE Donald Lee and WR Ryan Whalen.

Colt McCoy is doing work...

Per Rotoworld.com:

Andy Dalton completed 21-of-31 passes for 270 yards with one touchdown and no interceptions in Sunday's win over the Browns.

Dalton also rushed six times for 23 yards and came up about three inches short of a touchdown in the first half. The rookie continues to show incredible poise and smarts in the pocket, pushing the Bengals' record to 7-4 ahead of next week's showdown in Pittsburgh. Over the last four games, Dalton is averaging 257.5 passing yards per game while throwing seven touchdowns against five interceptions. He's a solid QB2, especially with playmaker A.J. Green (knee) healthy. Nov 27 - 4:53 PM

We dropped 3 interceptions today. FML

We dropped 3 interceptions today. FML

Yeah I was about to point that out. He didn't look all that solid to me.

I didn't see any of the game. 'Twas Rotoworld's headline.

I think Andy Dalton played a very solid game against a good pass defense. I was happy with his overall play. Glad the Bengals managed to pull that one out, it wasn't easy.

Dalton wasn't that impressive,it's just that Browns defense failed at some moments...

I'll take 21/31 - 270 Yards - 1 TD - 0 INT - 105.6 QB Rating -- Any day of the week with a Rookie QB. Did he make some poor throws? Yes. He got lucky on a few but overall I was happy with his play. Just because the Browns defense "failed at moments" doesn't take away from what the Bengals offense did. He's still got some improving to do, but I'm encouraged, I know there's going to be some Rookie mistakes as the year goes on, hopefully he can limit them as much as possible.

Edited by WHO-DEY-BENGALS_14_18
  • Upvote 1