Sign in to follow this  
BucD

Del Rio out in Jacksonville

:rofl:

Dude. Your avatar is amazing.

Ru...Fi...Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

This is the most I've ever heard anyone talking about the Jags. EVER. The coach is fired, the team is being sold, and the GM gets an extension, all mid-season. Yet I still find it hard to care about the Jaguars.

Well, well, well. Good move Jacksonville.

My question is: What the hell took so damn long? He should have been gone after last year.

And Bangy made an intelligent comment? Is it 2012 already?

Edited by BigBen07

Jags can not has Jerry Gray, either. :nope:

loltitans.

The Jags can take Brian VanGorder away from us...and we'll take Del Rio as our DC. :yep:

VanGorder was our LB coach for a year or two, I seriously doubt we bring him back.

• Upvote 1

He would've been fired had the lockout not occured. I don't think many people were expecting us to have this much of a dropoff this year, so jettisoning the coach and probably the OC as well isn't the best move to make in what was likely going to be a lockout shortened season. And yes, I'm aware other teams jettisoned their HCs in the offseason and had some success afterwards, but I still think it was the right thing to do to not fire him.

But lets say we did fire him in the offseason, who do we replace him with? John Fox? Ron Rivera? Pass.

As for the rest of the season, I'm very curious to see whether or not the offensive play call changes now that JDR is gone. There's been rumbling in the past that JDR was stiffling the offense, though I'm not sure if that was just the case when Garrard was here, or if our current O-line will allow us to do anything different.

This is the thing though would there have been any difference looking at this season with a new head coach than what you have gotten with JDR right now? Personally I say no and because of this it has to been seen a backward step for the Jags.

You are right though Fox and Rivera aren't the best of coaching options but you would take them both over JDR. Del Rio lost the team a few seasons backs like JD said and his management skills of players has been horrible and to me every time they seem to have a shot at the playoff's he seems to manage to fuck it it up.

A full house sweep is needed and I hope the new owner see's this for the sake of the Jags.

VanGorder was our LB coach for a year or two, I seriously doubt we bring him back.

Then we'll just take Del Rio :troll:

Is nobody thinking that the Jags will dip into college ball for a new head coach? Seattle and San Fran already have and with Jacksonville being a small market team, why not them too? Les Miles? Bob Stoops?

This is the thing though would there have been any difference looking at this season with a new head coach than what you have gotten with JDR right now? Personally I say no and because of this it has to been seen a backward step for the Jags.

You are right though Fox and Rivera aren't the best of coaching options but you would take them both over JDR. Del Rio lost the team a few seasons backs like JD said and his management skills of players has been horrible and to me every time they seem to have a shot at the playoff's he seems to manage to fuck it it up.

A full house sweep is needed and I hope the new owner see's this for the sake of the Jags.

Except not firing Del Rio and signing who we want > Firing Del Rio and settling for Fox and Rivera

Is nobody thinking that the Jags will dip into college ball for a new head coach? Seattle and San Fran already have and with Jacksonville being a small market team, why not them too? Les Miles? Bob Stoops?

Absolutely. We got our OC from the college ranks, don't see why we can't go back again.

This would have been a much better move if it had been made at the end of last season. The Jaguars need to clean house and get some talent in those vacant coaching seats. The only question is who wants the job and where will talented coaches come from? Jacksonville needs some serious work that will take years before they can be considered a threat for the title. Good luck!

This should've happened two years ago... Never the less, great day for Jags fans.

Edited by Alu Alu

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/daily-take/201111/jack-del-rio-was-players-coach-til-he-wasnt

We've heard plenty about the insufferable ways of hard-edged coaches like Bill Belichick and Tom Coughlin, but the firing of Jack Del Rio Tuesday brings an unexpected defense of draconian tactics.

And that defense comes in the voice of Mr. Jaguar, retired running back Fred Taylor.

"With Coughlin, if you came in, if you overstep, you're screwed," says Taylor, who played for Coughlin in Jacksonville from his rookie year in 1998 until the coach was let go in 2002. "With Jack, you never knew what you were getting. You don’t know if you’ll get a hard-ass one day, a buddy-buddy one day. You never really knew."

Del Rio was a nice change of pace for the former Gators great, but then the so-called players' coach wore thin.

"He was able to take care of the players somewhat," Taylor says. "After that, after the next five years, it was a lot of gray area, which later in my career I didn't buy into."

Asked if he felt Del Rio played favorites, Taylor doesn't hesitate.

"[Expletive] yeah. Hell yeah," he says. "Why do you think I'm not there?

"There wasn't any falloff in my production. I expressed my willingness to take a paycut. I just wanted to be there and be a part of the community. I wanted to finish my career there. Just because we had this new running back. All we had to do was switch roles. 'Fred, Maurice [Jones-Drew] is going to be the starter.' Fine, no problem. I wasn't a virus in the locker room. I worked my ass off -- everything." Instead, Taylor moved on after 10 years in Jacksonville to New England, where he finished his playing career before ceremonially retiring as a Jaguar before this season. Playing for the famously grouchy Belichick didn't make Taylor miss Del Rio's ways. Not hardly.

"Ninety percent of my enjoyment in New England was due to Coach Belichick -- the respect he demanded," Taylor says. "If you were the vet or the first-year guy, he yelled at you the same, chewed you out the same. Same thing with Coach Coughlin."

With Del Rio, Taylor says, "there was a lot of gray area." That came through most on the offensive side of the ball, where the Jaguars often struggled. "At the end of the day, [Del Rio]'s not a head coach," Taylor says. "He's a great defensive coach. But he's not a head coach."

Del Rio's quarterback decisions were rarely cut-and-dried. He got rid of Byron Leftwich in favor of David Garrard only days before the regular season opener in 2007, but then he cut Garrard only days before the start of this season.

"Pulling that trigger was a bit premature," Taylor says. "If you make that decision, make it a month out. Quite honestly, that kind of thing can ruin careers."

Garrard had back surgery and hasn't played this season, and the Jags are not in the playoff hunt. Blaine Gabbert was pulled in Sunday's game against the Texans in favor of veteran Luke McCown. "You're 3-8," says Taylor. "Take him out and that is going to establish the season?"

Coughlin was known -- and is known -- for squeezing every last drop out of the talent on his squad. That's how he brought an expansion team to two AFC Championship games in Jacksonville. You'd think that act would grate over time, and maybe it does. But Coughlin has won a Super Bowl in New York and Del Rio is now out of work. That speaks a lot louder to players than anything else