Sign in to follow this  
BucD

Cowboys see Rob Ryan as a future head coach

Per PFT:

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 1, 2011, 9:32 AM EST

Several of his players expect Cowboys defensive coordinator Rob Ryan to leave Dallas and become a head coach elsewhere.

“I definitely believe so,” Cowboys safety Abram Elam told the Dallas Morning News. “I think Rob should’ve been a head coach. I believe that’s his dream and he’s definitely been preparing himself for that. He’s been a good coach and I believe in him. I think he’ll do a good job.”

There’s little doubt that Ryan would jump at the opportunity if a team comes calling when the regular-season ends.

“I know Rob wants to be a head coach,” Cowboys safety Gerald Sensabaugh said. “That’s every coach’s dream.”

If Rob Ryan does become an NFL head coach, he’ll be the third member of his nuclear family to do so, following his dad Buddy, who coached the Eagles and the Cardinals, and his brother Rex, head coach of the Jets.

“He’s a Ryan, so he has the pedigree, his whole family’s been coaching, everybody except his grandmother, he said,” Cowboys inside linebacker Bradie James said.

Ryan has had success as an assistant, so it’s easy to see why he’d be mentioned as a future head coach. However, it’s also easy to see why the personality traits that have made him one of the NFL’s best-known assistants (and have made his twin brother one of the NFL’s best-known head coaches) could also make it hard on him to get a head-coaching position.

Most NFL owners are old-fashioned men who believe a football coach should act a certain way, and look a certain way. Ryan’s wild statements to the media (not to mention his wild hairstyle) don’t necessarily fit with what owners envision when they picture their next head coach.

That’s not to say Ryan won’t become a head coach — if his defenses continue playing well, it’s likely that he will. But some of those personality traits may give him trouble getting a head-coaching job, even if everything his players say about him is true.

Rob Ryan is going to fail miserably as a HC imo.

• Upvote 1

Guest Phailadelphia

Based on what? Players love to play for him and he spends 20 hours a day watching film and preparing gameplans.

First you say Green Bay and New Orleans would slaughter us in the playoffs and now you say this. Stop trolling, sean. It's like you feel the need to go against every sign that indicates otherwise and make the statement anyway. C'mon, man.

Based on what? Players love to play for him and he spends 20 hours a day watching film and preparing gameplans.

Because he's unprofessional and hust makes so many stupid statements. I can't imagine his teams being very disciplined. He's a great defensive mind. I don't think you can doubt that, but I just don't think he'll be a good HC.

As for BWare's comment. Your secondary vs. Aaron Rodgers is going to get VERY ugly VERY fast. Dallas can't beat Green Bay, ESPECIALLY no in in Lambeau. I think Brees would do much of the same vs. your defense and I think Romo will choke it away in the playoffs throwing picks.

Because he's unprofessional and just makes so many stupid statements. I can't imagine his teams being very disciplined. He's a great defensive mind. I don't think you can doubt that, but I just don't think he'll be a good HC.

I think you got him confused with Rex. :troll:

Edited by BigBen07

I think you got him confused with Rex. :troll:

And Rex's teams have been to two straight AFC Championship games and I won't rule them out of contention for another until they're eliminated from the playoffs or in the playoffs.

And Rex's teams have been to two straight AFC Championship games and I won't rule them out of contention for another until they're eliminated from the playoffs or in the playoffs.

Oh I know. Steelers DID knock out the Jets last year. I was just pulling sean's leg. :)

Either way, making it to AFCCG by beating the Patriots with their defense as shit as it was and still is, isn't much of an achievement. Especially with Tom Brady's amazing ability in playoff games since 2009 >_>

On topic, I don't see him as a good head coach either on the sole premise that I hate the Ryans. But unlike Rex, Rob is actually GOOD at defense and his trash talk is actually logical. So I'd like to be proven wrong.

But unlike Rex, Rob is actually GOOD at defense and his trash talk is actually logical. So I'd like to be proven wrong.

Care to explain why you think Rex is bad at defense?