BucD

The Official Buccaneers Offseason Thread

Yeah, I'm on the Marty bandwagon for sure. You can't convince me Mike Sherman is a better coach than he is.

Also, isn't Nolan with the Dolphins? There is no way they let him leave for the same position on another team.

LaConfora is getting annoying, he keeps banging the Sherman drum as if he already has the job. The Bucs haven't interviewed anyone other than him and Jerry Gray (who was a Rooney Rule guy), so how in the hell can Sherman have the job locked up already? I really hope Marty has a good interview tommorrow, because I think he is the perfect hire for RIGHT NOW. He is experienced and very respected. I think he could walk into the locker room and have the respect of our team, I don't think Mike Sherman can do that. Chilly and Wade can't do that for sure.

So yes, MARTY SCHOTTENHEIMER FOR BUCS HEAD COACH pl0x.

La Canfora has been a parrot on the Bucs this whole time. He doesn't know shit because the Glazers are so quiet. Schefter said it himself.

^Yeah. If Sheffter hasn't already said it with certainty, La Canfora is most likely talking out of his ass.

I wouldn't mind Marty either except for the fact that he's 68 years old. Exactly how long would he even be coaching for us? Will he just up and retire in 3 to 4 seasons? Will he try to convince the FO to make his son head coach before he leaves? Cause fuck that.

Yea...gotta hope that Marty blows them away in the interview...

C'MON MAN!!! MARTY BALL NAO DOMINIK, GLOLAZERS!!!

^Yeah. If Sheffter hasn't already said it with certainty, La Canfora is most likely talking out of his ass.

I wouldn't mind Marty either except for the fact that he's 68 years old. Exactly how long would he even be coaching for us? Will he just up and retire in 3 to 4 seasons? Will he try to convince the FO to make his son head coach before he leaves? Cause fuck that.

Marty has a great coaching tree. If Marty could do a solid job here for 3 or 4 years and then we have a solid young guy take over for him (hopefully not his son), we could really be in business for a long time.

Only thing that worries me about Marty is him bringing his son over. If he brings his son over, the offense will continue to fail and Freeman will be ruined and considered a bust.

Obviously Marty wouldn't be a long term hire, but who would of all the candidates named? Sherman sure as hell wouldn't be a long term guy, the dude couldn't even get to the NFCCG with Brett Favre. Even fucking Chilly was able to do that. Speaking of Chilly, anyone actually think him or Wade are long term hires? The only guy who MIGHT be a long term hire is Zimmer, and I'm not sure the Bucs are actually interested, there is no word of an interview with him yet.

Besides, long term coaches are rare in sports. We've been somewhat lucky to have Dungy and Gruden tenured for a good amount of time, but normally there isn't much stability with that job.

Obviously Marty wouldn't be a long term hire, but who would of all the candidates named? Sherman sure as hell wouldn't be a long term guy, the dude couldn't even get to the NFCCG with Brett Favre. Even fucking Chilly was able to do that. Speaking of Chilly, anyone actually think him or Wade are long term hires? The only guy who MIGHT be a long term hire is Zimmer, and I'm not sure the Bucs are actually interested, there is no word of an interview with him yet.

Besides, long term coaches are rare in sports. We've been somewhat lucky to have Dungy and Gruden tenured for a good amount of time, but normally there isn't much stability with that job.

Man I am still holding out hope that they at least interview the guy...

Nice write-up and makes great points...thought I'd share...

Per NaplesNews.com:

David Moulton: Two words for the Tampa Bay Bucs: Marty Schottenheimer

By DAVID MOULTON

Posted January 5, 2012 at 5:12 p.m.

There is a football coach available who is a proven winner. He has a better winning percentage and more regular-seasons wins than Chuck Noll. He has 21 years of experience as an NFL head coach. Two of them have been losing seasons.

Two.

He specializes in turning a mess into a winner right away. He brings discipline and organization where there is chaos.

He is perfect for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

His name is Marty Schottenheimer.

When most of us last saw Marty he was leading the San Diego Chargers to a 14-2 record. Then in the playoffs his Pro Bowl kicker missed three field goals in a three-point loss to the Patriots. Marty was fired a month later.

Marty has not had much luck in the playoffs. He is 0-3 in AFC championship games and just 5-13 in January. Of course that means he’s made the playoffs 13 times with three different teams. The Buccaneers have made the playoffs 10 times in 36 seasons.

One of the best NFL head coaches ever is now 68 years old. That may be young at Penn State but it’s almost prehistoric by current NFL standards. Giants head coach Tom Coughlin is 65. Bill Belichick and Mike Shanahan are 59.

It is a young man’s game.

Except the Bucs just hired and fired the youngest head coach in the league.

Now they need an adult.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are a clueless, rudderless ship. They are the youngest team in the league, but that’s not why they need someone with experience (Green Bay is the second youngest).

They need a proven leader and winner because the Bucs are one of the most immature teams in the league. One that proved this year they do not know how to consistently play and win in the NFL.

Marty Schottenheimer does. He led Cleveland to four playoff appearances in four full seasons, including two trips to the AFC championship game. That was 22 years ago. The Browns have made the playoffs just three times since.

He led the Kansas City Chiefs to the playoffs seven times in 10 years, including a trip to the AFC title game. The Chiefs had one playoff appearance in the 18 years before Marty’s arrival and only three in the 13 years since.

In Washington he went 8-8 with Tony Banks as his quarterback. He was fired so they could hire Steve Spurrier, who promptly went 7-9 and 5-11.

Then in San Diego he goes 47-33 and gets fired after a 14-2 season in which he was named the NFL coach of the year.

So why he is out of work again? Because he’s 5-13 in the playoffs and he’s 68 years old.

Well, at least he gets you to the playoffs. Tampa Bay is picking fifth in this year’s draft. They selected third two years ago. The playoffs would be a nice problem to have.

As for his age, Bobby Bowden had an undefeated national championship season when he was 70. Phil Jackson was winning titles at 65. Tony LaRussa just won the World Series at 67.

Some people look at Marty and see an old guy. I look at Marty and see a winner with experience.

Besides, 68 on the west coast of Florida is practically middle aged!

The Buccaneers (and Dolphins) have lost the confidence of their fans. Marty Schottenheimer brings credibility and a proven track record. In Tampa he would have a running back and a quarterback to work with. He would turn the Bucs around immediately.

Tony Dungy is retired. Bill Cowher isn’t interested. You’ve already done Jon Gruden, and Jeff Fisher appears headed elsewhere.

If the Tampa Bay Bucs (or anyone who doesn’t get Jeff Fisher) are serious about competing, they’ll hire Marty Schottenheimer.

Because the next time he fails will be the first.

David Moulton is a freelance writer and co-host of “Miller and Moulton in the Afternoon,” which airs weekdays 2 to 7 p.m. on WWCN/AM 770 ESPN. His column runs Sunday, Wednesday and Friday.

"We'll see how everything goes here in the next 24 hours,'' Schottenheimer said. "I'm excited for the opportunity. Tampa has a very interesting young team there with so many young players.''

Marty has a great coaching tree. If Marty could do a solid job here for 3 or 4 years and then we have a solid young guy take over for him (hopefully not his son), we could really be in business for a long time.

His hire could also just perpetuate the mediocrity on the team until our good players (few as they may be) are too old to be good anymore. You know, kind of like the Chargers. There's a reason why the guy has had 4 different head coaching jobs. Who is it again that learned directly from Marty? Bill Cowher? The guy that took 13 years to win a Superbowl? You think the Glazers can wait that long? I'd say no considering his other success, Tony Dungy, was fired by them after reaching the playoffs 4 out of 6 seasons.

Marty is basically the defensive version of Andy Reid. Only he hasn't been to a Super Bowl and has a 5-13 post-season record.

I certainly would rather have Marty over Sherman or Chilly. Fortunately Sherman and Chilly aren't the only options out there and I'm not going to be happy about the Bucs hiring Marty simply because they didn't interview any other better options.

The whole point of hiring a guy is the hopes he'll be a long term winner. There isn't much stability because people do a poor job and get fired. That's not an excuse to hire a coach with very, very little post-season success. Marty will simply be a band-aid. He'll make things feel nice for a while but we'll get impatient again when we realize it isn't helping our wound heal.

His hire could also just perpetuate the mediocrity on the team until our good players (few as they may be) are too old to be good anymore. You know, kind of like the Chargers. There's a reason why the guy has had 4 different head coaching jobs. Who is it again that learned directly from Marty? Bill Cowher? The guy that took 13 years to win a Superbowl? You think the Glazers can wait that long? I'd say no considering his other success, Tony Dungy, was fired by them after reaching the playoffs 4 out of 6 seasons.

Marty is basically the defensive version of Andy Reid. Only he hasn't been to a Super Bowl and has a 5-13 post-season record.

I certainly would rather have Marty over Sherman or Chilly. Fortunately Sherman and Chilly aren't the only options out there and I'm not going to be happy about the Bucs hiring Marty simply because they didn't interview any other better options.

The whole point of hiring a guy is the hopes he'll be a long term winner. There isn't much stability because people do a poor job and get fired. That's not an excuse to hire a coach with very, very little post-season success. Marty will simply be a band-aid. He'll make things feel nice for a while but we'll get impatient again when we realize it isn't helping our wound heal.

Man... Bitching about post season success should be a luxury for you Buc fans. Worry about getting there first, in my opinion. Jesus. lmao

• Upvote 1

Man... Bitching about post season success should be a luxury for you Buc fans. Worry about getting there first, in my opinion. Jesus. lmao

A luxury? So we should settle for mediocrity simply because we've had some bad seasons recently? It doesn't matter if the team hasn't been in the playoffs for 10 years, once you get there a couple times fans start calling for people to get fired when you can't progress in the playoffs. Fans are impatient, the media is impatient, and these days the owners are impatient. Especially if they've tasted a Super Bowl win before. The one and only goal in this league is to win a Super Bowl. If there's a coach you don't think can win you one then they are simply a waste of time. Marty Schottenheimer is a waste of time.

Even if the Bucs have had some bad seasons recently, I'm not one to settle for 10-12 win seasons that go nowhere. Maybe that's okay for some Eagles fans, but it's not for me. I'm not any happier if the Bucs get into the playoffs and lose in the first round than I would have been if they didn't make the playoffs at all. All that does is give you worse draft positioning. There are no trophies, no parades, no celebrations. If anything, watching your team lose in the playoffs just makes the off-season even worse. If I had the choice between a Super Bowl and 10 poor seasons to follow, or 10 straight 12+ win seasons, I'd easily take the Super Bowl win and 10 bad seasons.

Edited by Shotgun

A luxury? So we should settle for mediocrity simply because we've had some bad seasons recently? It doesn't matter if the team hasn't been in the playoffs for 10 years, once you get there a couple times fans start calling for people to get fired when you can't progress in the playoffs. Fans are impatient, the media is impatient, and these days the owners are impatient. Especially if they've tasted a Super Bowl win before. The one and only goal in this league is to win a Super Bowl. If there's a coach you don't think can win you one then they are simply a waste of time. Marty Schottenheimer is a waste of time.

Even if the Bucs have had some bad seasons recently, I'm not one to settle for 10-12 win seasons that go nowhere. Maybe that's okay for some Eagles fans, but it's not for me. I'm not any happier if the Bucs get into the playoffs and lose in the first round than I would have been if they didn't make the playoffs at all. All that does is give you worse draft positioning. There are no trophies, no parades, no celebrations. If anything, watching your team lose in the playoffs just makes the off-season even worse. If I had the choice between a Super Bowl and 10 poor seasons to follow, or 10 straight 12+ win seasons, I'd easily take the Super Bowl win and 10 bad seasons.

Mediocrity? The guy won 14 games the year he was fired. His over all coaching record is 200 - 126.

And you post like you know for certain the coach you (potentially) hire is going to get you to a Super Bowl.

Look at your list of HC candidates... Who exactly is going to get your Bucs a Super Bowl victory?! Mike Sherman? Keep dreamin.

Oh.. and you still owe the league 2-3 more bad seasons for your last Super Bowl. Happy trails!

Mediocrity? The guy won 14 games the year he was fired. His over all coaching record is 200 - 126.

And you post like you know for certain the coach you (potentially) hire is going to get you to a Super Bowl.

Mediocre as in middle of the road. As in having a "winning record" and not having anything to show for it. 14 wins the year he got fired. Think about that for a second. Am I supposed to be happy about 12-14 wins if it means getting beat in the first round of the playoffs? I'm supposed to be content with a coach that's been to the playoffs 13 times with only 5 wins to show for it? If Marty Schottenheimer was worth a hire he would have been hired sometime in the 5 years he's been out of the league. Yet here we have teams hiring unproven coordinators or college head coaches instead because they know he can't win them the big one.

Look at your list of HC candidates... Who exactly is going to get your Bucs a Super Bowl victory?! Mike Sherman? Keep dreamin.

lol keep dreamin? No thanks I'd rather wake from that nightmare. I never said anything about their other candidates being worth a damn. Me not wanting Marty as head coach doesn't mean I want any of these other repeat retreads either. Besides, there's no telling who they will interview as the off-season goes, and who knows if we'll even hear about some of them. The Glazers are good at keeping things quiet. Sheffter has said it himself several times. Just because some higher profile guys have gotten in the news doesn't mean they haven't interviewed others.

Oh.. and you still owe the league 2-3 more bad seasons for your last Super Bowl. Happy trails!

After the way they played this past season I wouldn't doubt it.

Edited by Shotgun

You can't just assume that Marty will never do anything in the playoffs because he didn't in the past, who the hell knows. Besides, at this point we just need to worry about turning the ship around before we start thinking about Super Bowl for Christ's sake.

Right now, our ship is headed straight for an iceberg, we need someone to come in and turn the ship around to the right direction. If he doesn't know how to get where we want go, we can fire him and find someone who does. Right now, all I care about is salvaging what talent we have on our roster. We can worry about winning Super Bowls then.

Just look at the coaches we are going after. Which one of them gives you the feeling of a man who'll take over for years and years with tons of success in the playoffs? Marty is perfect for this franchise right now IMO, the fans have for the most part reacted positively to the idea, he'll generate a little excitement for a change. Plus he is a veteran coach who knows how to win and players will respect him.

Per ESPN's Chris Mortensen, Marty Schottenheimer interviewed with the Bucs today and both sides came away impressed with the other. -- NFLSTROUD (@NFLSTROUD)

Awesome news.

@MikeLupocaSN (Mike Lupoca):

#Bucs are closing in on Marty Schottenheimer, according to source. #NFL

:pray:

Edited by BucD

Bad news is, his son is now available to follow him wherever he goes.

@TBO_Buccaneers:

ESPN's Adam Schefter says Brian Schottenheimer won't join father Marty if he gets a head coaching position.

Marty is involved a lot in both offense and defense. If I had to guess Brian Shotty would want more freedom to work.

That and I'm sure he'd actually like to win a championship :troll:

Edited by Shotgun

Funny how EVERYONE else (not just fans...media etc) are saying Marty would be a great hire and perfect fit for the Bucs...but I'm sure the dumbshit Glazer boys w/ their sidekick Dominik will pick someone else...it's probably going to be Sherman...

He's a better hire than the other options we know of the Glazer's going after. I wouldn't call it a good hire, at least not unless he'll be changing his philosophy of "Marty Ball", one of the reasons he would not be successful in today's NFL, and probably a large reason why no one has bothered to hire him these past years.

Funny how EVERYONE else (not just fans...media etc) are saying Marty would be a great hire and perfect fit for the Bucs...but I'm sure the dumbshit Glazer boys w/ their sidekick Dominik will pick someone else...it's probably going to be Sherman...

Most sources continue to think it will be Sherman. I don't know how anyone can tell me Mike Sherman is a better coach than Marty Schottenheimer. It isn't an issue of money either, neither guy is going to make much at this point.

Most sources continue to think it will be Sherman. I don't know how anyone can tell me Mike Sherman is a better coach than Marty Schottenheimer. It isn't an issue of money either, neither guy is going to make much at this point.

It's more of an issue of stupidity or not...

I mean if it's Sherman I'll be disappointed....Marty Ball and I'll be ecstatic....Childress I.....I just cannot even fathom that...I dunno if I could watch that team....

Edited by BucD