Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Dolphins owner: Franchise QB top priority

Per Rotoworld.com:

Dolphins owner Stephen Ross says the team's top offseason priority is finding a franchise quarterback.

Unlike last offseason, it doesn't sound like the Dolphins will be willing to fall back on Chad Henne, who is a free agent. Fellow free agent Matt Flynn will almost certainly be the Dolphins' top choice to replace Henne, but they also figure to be heavily connected to Baylor QB Robert Griffin III. Jan 21 - 5:26 PM

Source: Omar Kelly on Twitter

Matt Flynn isn't a franchise QB. But Matt Moore definitely isn't. Both of them would be solid place holders for the future, but unless you get a guy in the draft you're almost better off letting Moore develop chemistry with your guys. Miami has a strong team, and they could get away a place holder guy for a bit. Better hope their scouting department really likes Tannehill, or one of the big two drops. There's no dearth of QB talent in this draft.

Matt Flynn isn't a franchise QB. But Matt Moore definitely isn't. Both of them would be solid place holders for the future, but unless you get a guy in the draft you're almost better off letting Moore develop chemistry with your guys. Miami has a strong team, and they could get away a place holder guy for a bit. Better hope their scouting department really likes Tannehill, or one of the big two drops. There's no dearth of QB talent in this draft.

I think Flynn could play well for the Phins. You won't be asking the guy to go out and put da team on his back. He'd be working in a system that's comfortable with and a good system in general. He'd have a good 1-2 punch at WR, a solid TE and potenially great defense. If the Dolphins shore up the oline a little it could be argued they're a team without any holes really. Alex Smith is proof that you don't need a great QB to be a contender.

He isn't a franchise QB in the essence that Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers is... But I could easily see him signing somewhere and finishing his career there as a starter.

I just haven't seen enough from Flynn to be sold on him. He beat up on the Patriots and Lions with the Packers offense. Let's put him in a more realistic situation, give him less weapons and put him against a competent defense with a game plan set up for him. Because while he looked really impressive, he had nearly everything in his favour.

I just haven't seen enough from Flynn to be sold on him. He beat up on the Patriots and Lions with the Packers offense. Let's put him in a more realistic situation, give him less weapons and put him against a competent defense with a game plan set up for him. Because while he looked really impressive, he had nearly everything in his favour.

How many QBs go against competent defenses week in and week out? lol.

He will have his struggles just like ANY quarterback. But looking at the big picture, I think he will have a solid career.

8 a year (for the Dolphins that would be the Jets twice, a healthy Bills defense, any AFC North team, and I'm sure a couple more a year) as opposed to two big sieves would make a big difference in seeing what he could actually do on a consistent basis. Because what we're seeing is an ideal Matt Flynn, not what we should expect week in and week out.

Flynn is maybe the only option. he has gotta be better than Moore and Henne is not going to be resigned...I hope get Flynn and draft the best OL player you can get in the first round...And I hope all this about Ross wanting manning is not true..

If you sign Flynn, I think they should get another WR in the first round.

Our offensive line isn't the greatest but Flynn did alright because we had multiple targets for him.

In Miami you've got Brandon Marshall and Davon Bess. Anthony Fasano took a step back from 2010. Reggie Bush was decent and I think with Philbin's offense he'll be good (less of a RB, more of a screen play guy).

I'm not looking this up but isn't your offensive line decent? Like a middle of the pack OL? If that's the case I'd definitely draft a WR or two early.

Edited by badgers

What the hell happened to how well Moore played in his starts this year? He's not a franchise QB, but he's proven much more than Flynn has.

What the hell happened to how well Moore played in his starts this year? He's not a franchise QB, but he's proven much more than Flynn has.

Yeah but you also have to remember how pathetic Moore was before those couple of games that he did well in.

Moore had 2 decent seasons.

In 2009 he only started 5 games and had a 98 passer rating.

Then in 2011 he started 12 games and had an 87 passer rating.

2007 and 2010 were absolutely terrible and he didn't play in 2008.

So basically he is an average QB AT THE VERY VERY BEST. And he's inconsistent as fuck at that. In 2012 he'll probably suck ass again.

Flynn in 2 career starts, averages a 119 passer rating with a 9-2 TD/INT ratio.

He does have far less starts than Moore but stats like those seem like a risk worth taking, especially for somebody wanting a QB to get them in playoff contention.

Edited by badgers

moore is not that good, I would stick with him if we can't get flynn though. I would really like for us to hire Tom Clements also. because he worked with Rodgers and flynn as for the O-line not so good like you said middle of the line....but get Flynn find a way to draft Blackmon and work on o-line later in the draft then the O will be fine.

The offensive line isn't that good, and it looks a lot worse when Jake Long is injured. The interior has been in flux for a while, Vernon Carey might be leaving in the offseason, they really don't have a Right side worth anything. Incognito is only decent as a Left Guard. John Jerry isn't much of a swing player, and neither is Nate Garner. Mike Pouncey showed some potential early in the year, but was either really good or really terrible after that without any real middle ground.

Despite reports of the team's serious interest in Peyton Manning, the Palm Beach Post still considers free agent Matt Flynn to be the Dolphins' most likely quarterback in 2012.

Flynn's familiarity with new head coach Joe Philbin is hard to overlook, and there are no guarantees about Manning's health or whereabouts. A source tells the Post that Flynn "holds Philbin in high regard." Because of his knowledge of Philbin's offense, Flynn could gets things moving quickly in Miami. The 26-year-old is still going to command a hefty long-term contract.

Source: Palm Beach Post

This makes sense. A lot of teams will likely be vying for Manning's services, while Flynn probably won't squeeze Miami dry financially knowing that he's comfortable in Philbin's system.