Sign in to follow this  
Milla4Prez63

Joe Vitt to take over Saints' HC duties

Assistant head coach/linebackers Joe Vitt will assume the day-to-day duties of head coach Sean Payton, effective April 16.

The Saints implement the same structure used while Payton was recovering from a serious knee injury last season. Although new DC Steve Spagnuolo has head coaching experience, he's not as familiar with the team's personnel and Payton's philosophy. OC Pete Carmichael will call plays, just as he did to close out last season when the Saints had the most explosive offense in the league. Once the Saints begin training camp, GM Mickey Loomis will decide on a course of action for Vitt's own six-game suspension to start the season.

Not suprised, sounds like they will have HC by committe for the first six games but Vitt will have the main role for the offseason and last ten games.

Lol... What a mess.

I think every team should go to an Interim for your Interim Coach. I hope they wallow in mediocrity this year and Sean Payton is relieved of his duties in the offseason (next year).

The New Orleans Saints have tabbed assistant head coach/linebackers coach Joe Vitt as the interim head coach in Sean Payton's absence, GM Mickey Loomis announced Thursday.

Vitt will assume the day-to-day duties of Payton on Monday.

"It is important that we keep Sean Payton's philosophy front and center during this season. Sean has been the driving force behind the tremendous success our team has enjoyed during the past six years, his leadership will be missed," Loomis said in a statement. "But we need to set a course of action that gives us the best chance to win this season without our head coach, and that is why I am announcing today that Joe Vitt will assume Sean's duties.

"We considered a number of great options to handle Payton's duties both internally and externally, but believe this will provide the most seamless transition for our players and our coaching staff, allowing our offensive and defensive staffs to remain intact with the fewest changes. This is the same structure we used last season during Sean's knee injury."

• Upvote 1

Wasn't Vitt also suspended?

Yes he was, for six games, I think. So I think, as Milla said, they'd go HC by committee till his suspension is done.

ESPN reported that their OLine coach will take over during Vitt's suspension.

We do HC by committee in the NFL now too???

Lol... What a mess.

I think every team should go to an Interim for your Interim Coach. I hope they wallow in mediocrity this year and Sean Payton is relieved of his duties in the offseason (next year).

Won't happen. If we wallow in mediocrity then it will prove we need Payton as head coach and he won't be relieved of his duties.

OL coach Aaron Kromer (interviewed for the Rams job this offseason) will most likely take over for the first 6 games letting Carmicheal and Spags to concentrate on the offense and defense. It would be the best scenario for us.

any thoughts on why Spags wasn't given the nod? Due to his newness with the team maybe?

So they have an interim to fill in for the interim? How bout one guy to coach all 16 games?

any thoughts on why Spags wasn't given the nod? Due to his newness with the team maybe?

Spags is installing a new defense and they don't want him to be overwhelmed with that as well as having to run the team. Plus he doesn't know the players as well as Vitt does.

The reason Vitt is getting it is because he is Paytons right hand man and asst. coach. The Saints want to keep Paytons philosphy in the forefront and he can do that. He does have experiance being an interm coach as he was with the Rams when Martz got fired.

The reason Kromer is getting the first 6 games is because they want Carmichael and Spags to concentrate soley on offense and defense and not have to worry about head coaching.

No outside person is coming in because of the wanting to keep Payton's philosphy intact instead of a different coach coming and changing things the way Payton does things. Vitt and Kromer know what Payton wants and how he runs things. They think it will be a smooth transistion.

Of course if Kromer goes 6-0 or 5-1 or even 4-2 how do you justify dropping him down and giving Vitt the job when he comes back. This will either work out fine or completely blow up in our faces.

Tho if Brees doesn't sign soon it won't matter who the head coach is for any games this year.