NaTaS

Update: Jones-Drew to report for Jags camp on time?

MJD was there in the *seventh* round?

Hang on to him. I disagree with Air entirely. MJD should be fine by week 3 or so. That would be because MJD is actually an elite back. :troll:

He won't be at 100% for awhile, but he's definitely worth hanging onto, especially in the Jags offense, which despite everyone saying this every year, people apparently don't learn. It doesn't matter that they don't have a passing game, it still doesn't shut down MJD. He can still do well when his team isn't helping him out- which is why he is an elite back.

When he's gassed after 2 plays and needs to sit for a while before coming back in, we'll come back to this. I don't care if it's Barry Sanders, missing camp and pre-season then being shoved in to action? You're looking right at CJ 2.0.

The Jaguars will be one of the worst teams in the NFL this year and MJD will have his worst year in his entire career. They fucked up COMPLETELY by not paying MJD. Ruined Gabbert's career by doing it, too.

although if what I read about his current deal averaging $8 mil per year was accurate, that would put him right at the top, which would be where the comment that the deal held up well over time comes from, I really just can't feel bad for someone who signed a lucrative front loaded contract then gets pissy when the back end is small

Average salary and base salary are different numbers... But it's really irrelevant, IMO. As Sean said, he has EASILY outplayed his deal. While I don't think he has been, you could make the argument that he's been the best back in the league since he inked that deal. You could also argue that he means more to his team than any other back. Ben Tate tore it up in Arian Fosters absence last year. Toby Gerhart averaged 5 yards a pop last year without AP. MJD getting almost 50% of the offensive yardage is INSANE. The Jaguars have nobody else. They haven't had anybody else.

MoJo IS the offense. MoJo IS the Jaguars.

I don't think it's far fetched that he wants to get paid. And IMO, they are fools not to pay him. But as stated by somebody earlier, he didn't have the leverage. He made a mistake by signing that deal some years ago, and I think he will regret it for the rest of his career, and afterwards. He cost himself tens of millions of dollars, in all likelihood.

alright, I looked a little more and found MJD's contract dollar amounts by year: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/jacksonville-jaguars/maurice-jones-drew/

that really isn't as much as I thought from articles I'd read, the base salary has actually been pretty consistent over the five years of the deal with this year as actually the highest base he's had, I'm not sure why someone referred to this as a front loaded deal, because it really wasn't unless you're looking at the signing bonus, which wasn't that high either ($9 mil) my bad for not looking into that a bit more before starting to talk

Shaun Alexander rushed for 27 TD's the year he held out...

Shaun Alexander rushed for 27 TD's the year he held out...

He was there for the entire TC and pre-season..

Shaun Alexander was in Kirkland yesterday, completing a one-year contract with the Seahawks.

The bigger news is where that will put him Friday -- in Cheney for the first practice of training camp.

Date: Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Read more: http://www.seattlepi.com/sports/football/article/Alexander-cuts-one-year-deal-1179211.php#ixzz25WVVUPf6

When he's gassed after 2 plays and needs to sit for a while before coming back in, we'll come back to this. I don't care if it's Barry Sanders, missing camp and pre-season then being shoved in to action? You're looking right at CJ 2.0.

The Jaguars will be one of the worst teams in the NFL this year and MJD will have his worst year in his entire career. They fucked up COMPLETELY by not paying MJD. Ruined Gabbert's career by doing it, too.

Sounds like they drafted the wrong QB.

Sounds like they drafted the wrong QB.

Not necessarily. Gabbert has the potential to be one of the best in the league, but he's gonna need more than just one year to grow in to that. He needed an elite back to help him do so, give him someone to lean on when times got rough...he no longer has that.

Not necessarily. Gabbert has the potential to be one of the best in the league, but he's gonna need more than just one year to grow in to that. He needed an elite back to help him do so, give him someone to lean on when times got rough...he no longer has that.

If a QB NEEDS an elite RB NOT to have a ruined career, then yes, it sounds like they drafted the wrong QB. MJD can definitely help Gabbert develop but if another player defines someone elses career or they will be a bust, sounds like a wasted pick. I'm just basing this off your logic though and in no way am I saying Gabbert is a bust. But I don't think GM's draft franchise QBs based on them depending on another player to have a good career. MJD should help with development but if he's not around it's up to the coaches to give him weapons and give him proper coaching.

To the topic though, this was a completely wasted hold out for MJD. If you hold out, you gotta stick to your guns even if it goes into the regular season. Kahn was holding his ground (in the off season anyway) and MJD buckled and accomplished nothing but a temporary depth chart drop to a 3rd down back. :epicfail:

If Jennings takes advantage of this opportunity and does amazing...

The Jaguars were never going to budge about this though, Jennings has looked very good and MJD has to stay loyal to his contract, the final year of a contract is when the team will generally talk to you about working on your contract, not with 2 years left.

CBS' Jason La Canfora reports Maurice Jones-Drew has agreed to pay "a little less" than $800,000 of his $1.6 million in fines for skipping training camp and the preseason.

Score another one for the Jaguars, who have come out of MJD's holdout with a shockingly decisive victory. It seemed more likely than not that MJD's fines would be waived completely as a gesture of good faith, but owner Shad Khan opted to put the screws to his disgruntled back. It's a short-term win for Jacksonville's rookie owner, but you can bet it's engendered even more ill will between the sides. Unless he has a down season, Jones-Drew's contract will come up again in the offseason.

Source: CBSSports.com

Ya.. everyone keeps saying the Jaguars are "winning"... but I don't really see it that way. He should be looking to move the franchise.