Milla4Prez63

The Superhero Thread

Finished Jessica Jones. Really good.. Not as good as Daredevil, but really good. Netflx needs to get more superhero content.

so three episodes into Supergirl I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about the show, I'm a huge fan of superhero shows in general, and I'm enjoying the overall story line, but there are a handful of lines in every show that just feel like feminist propaganda, it's not that I'm opposed to the ideas expressed, I just don't know that I want to watch a superhero show (or any show for that matter) that smacks me over the head with it

so we're six episodes in now and it still feels like too much feminist propaganda to me

This week's episode was focused on controlling anger, great, every superhero story has some element of controlling your powers/anger, hate leads to the dark side, that sort of shit, it's tried and true and really an interesting part of character development to see how different heroes approach that lesson. The problem is most of the discussion was focused on how Supergirl can't show her anger because she's a woman, but men can get away with it. Supergirl even argues that Superman doesn't have to deal with it (I'm not a big fan of how the show is dealing with that shadow either) and she's told it's because he's a man. That's fucking bullshit, I'll repeat: learning to control anger is part of every goddamn superhero story. Supergirl doesn't have a special need to learn how to control her anger because she's a woman, she has a special need to learn to control her anger because she can level buildings if she doesn't. This is the sort of crap that's going to make me stop watching this show, and it's unfortunate because I'm actually enjoying the overall story line, there are definitely some interesting villains and other elements, and as I said before I generally love superhero stories. I will probably watch to the end of the season (it looks like there's only two episodes left) and hope that they get away from this, but it's really frustrating.

so we're six episodes in now and it still feels like too much feminist propaganda to me

This week's episode was focused on controlling anger, great, every superhero story has some element of controlling your powers/anger, hate leads to the dark side, that sort of shit, it's tried and true and really an interesting part of character development to see how different heroes approach that lesson. The problem is most of the discussion was focused on how Supergirl can't show her anger because she's a woman, but men can get away with it. Supergirl even argues that Superman doesn't have to deal with it (I'm not a big fan of how the show is dealing with that shadow either) and she's told it's because he's a man. That's fucking bullshit, I'll repeat: learning to control anger is part of every goddamn superhero story. Supergirl doesn't have a special need to learn how to control her anger because she's a woman, she has a special need to learn to control her anger because she can level buildings if she doesn't. This is the sort of crap that's going to make me stop watching this show, and it's unfortunate because I'm actually enjoying the overall story line, there are definitely some interesting villains and other elements, and as I said before I generally love superhero stories. I will probably watch to the end of the season (it looks like there's only two episodes left) and hope that they get away from this, but it's really frustrating.

Nah, they gave a full order to Supergirl the other day.

Nah, they gave a full order to Supergirl the other day.

okay, I was just looking at the episode list on wikipedia, they must not have added the second half (which might not be far enough along to be included) I guess I'm in at least until the winter break, see if they can do enough in the next two episodes to hook me in

Exactly why I choose not to watch the show in the first place :yep:

The lead actress looks like a really good fit, and with the era we are in right now the show seemed like it would find a really nice place on the network especially with the BvS train kicking into full gear. But from the very first preview and description of the show I knew it was gonna focus waaaaaay too much on the aspect of her being a female. Like I always say I don't mind different minorities, genders, sexual identities and so forth just as long as its not thrown in my face just to say hey look we are different. Diversity for diversity's sake is never a good thing. From the "Devil wears Prada" working lifestyle to perpetual idea of her living in the shadow of Superman because he is a man and not because he is the most powerful hero in the universe :smh:

Also was very shocked it didn't get cancelled. I thought it was headed that way, especially with the latest BvS promotion supposed to be a teaser in during Supergirl (from Superman's side) then a teaser during Gotham (from Batman's side) then the full trailer on Jimmy Kimmel. The rumor was obviously true as the teaser from Batman's perspective dropped in front of Gotham and it is felt that WB pulled their other teaser from Supergirl due to the bad ratings.

Like I always say I don't mind different minorities, genders, sexual identities and so forth just as long as its not thrown in my face just to say hey look we are different.

I am very much with you on that, and it's something that I think Agents of Shield is doing really well, a lot of the main characters are women (I'm pretty sure it's a 50-50 gender split, but I don't feel like counting so I could be wrong) but that fact is never explicitly mentioned, and this season they threw in a gay character (an inhuman Shield picked up in the first episode who hasn't done much at this point in the show) and the way they introduced his sexuality was by casually mentioning his boyfriend, it's come up I think one other time but they've never made a big deal of it (though as I said he is a really minor character at this point, if his role increases that might change)

I am actually enjoying Supergirl overall, it's still in the build up, villain-of-the-week stage, but they have set up the slow burn towards an overarching villain, so I'm still on board at least for now, like I said I'm very easy to please when it comes to superhero stories

I was never really all that interested in watching Supergirl and haven't watched any of it yet. But the conversation here has pretty much guaranteed I don't even try it. Doesn't sound like anything I would enjoy.

I was never really all that interested in watching Supergirl and haven't watched any of it yet. But the conversation here has pretty much guaranteed I don't even try it. Doesn't sound like anything I would enjoy.

Except when you have to when they crossover. :smug:

Hate Superman mythos and DC as a whole.... love Supergirl lol.

It's campy as fuck, occasionally dumb, but I'll probably watch it till it's over. The special effects hold up (Red Tornado was really cool) and I like all the supporting characters. Melissa Benoist doe :wub:

All the shows were awesome the past couple weeks. The Dumas raid on Gotham was great, Penguin still stole the show in what little scenes he got. Buuuut, Agents of Shield was the best super show on TV yet again, even with a Flash/Arrow crossover cliffhanger. Really hope they don't kill off Ward, he's such a badass. Next week's finale is gonna be crazy.

Warner Bros and DC have made me very very very sad :sigh:

Warner Bros and DC have made me very very very sad :sigh:

I can see why.

Edited by Spartan Havoc

This does seemingly give away the entire movie, so watch at your own risk, I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yViIi3gie2c

Not feeling Eisenluthor at all, but then we all knew that was likely to be the case when the casting was announced. Everything else seems pretty good though.

Edited by Vin

OK, so I still think that I will thoroughly enjoy BvS, BUT...

I was questioning if I should put this in spoilers, but it's just a click away so...

Doomsday being CREATED by Lex Luthor from Zod's body all Frankenstein-style!? What in the fuck?? WHY? I do not get the unnecessary change. It is a HUGE change from the comics.

They are too damn worried about competing with Marvel and how they are already on to The Avengers. As a result, they rushing to get to the Justice League. What's worse is that they didn't even need to make this drastic change to a major character in an effort to rush to get to JL. I honestly hate it.

That said, I love me some Batman and Superman and I will most likely still enjoy it as I previously stated.

"I don't know who she is either"

BUT FUCKING WAIT GUYS DC SAID NO COMEDY. FUCKING WARNER BROTHERS FAIL.

Edited by Spartan Havoc

I actually came away somewhat impressed with the BvS trailer, and I've been pretty skeptical about this movie from the beginning. Kind of wish they kept some of those spoilers out though...

Agents of Shield was the best super show on TV yet again, even with a Flash/Arrow crossover cliffhanger. Really hope they don't kill off Ward, he's such a badass. Next week's finale is gonna be crazy.

I don't think I can overstate how much I'm enjoying Agents of Shield

For those who've watched or are currently watching Jessica Jones I'm curious to get your opinion on this:

I was recently reading a review that suggested something interesting. The writer basically talked about the fact that the entire season is released at once forces you to reflect and review the show as a whole and not by its individual episodes. The writer talked about the structure of a show on TV gives it a natural beginning middle and end. We see this with fall finales, season finales, and even holiday episodes. But Jessica Jones is like a 13 hour movie chopped up into 13 one hour episodes with each episode being a continuation and not it's own thing.

Do you guise agree with this? And if you do...do you feel your viewing experience these Netflix shows different than shows on regular schedules?

• Upvote 1

Could they have cast a worse Luthor?

For those who've watched or are currently watching Jessica Jones I'm curious to get your opinion on this:

I was recently reading a review that suggested something interesting. The writer basically talked about the fact that the entire season is released at once forces you to reflect and review the show as a whole and not by its individual episodes. The writer talked about the structure of a show on TV gives it a natural beginning middle and end. We see this with fall finales, season finales, and even holiday episodes. But Jessica Jones is like a 13 hour movie chopped up into 13 one hour episodes with each episode being a continuation and not it's own thing.

Do you guise agree with this? And if you do...do you feel your viewing experience these Netflix shows different than shows on regular schedules?

The Netflix shows seem built for binge watching. Which is kind of Netflix's MO. I personally don't mind it, I watched all of Jessica Jones in about two sittings. Netflix isn't making their money per episode like a cable show, so it's w/e. I think for that show it works, each one kept me engaged and made me want to watch the next one, which I suppose is the point.

I have seen a little bit of Arrow and thought it was corny af. Flash looks even worse.

My buddy is a big Arrow and Flash fan and he keeps trying to get me to give at least Arrow a second chance. I think I am going to give in...

This weeks Arrow and Flash episodes were pretty bad ass as we lead up to Legends. Flash was given the full Arrow treatment... It was just a bit heavier, not as totally light and dorky like Flash usually is. It had the edge that Arrow has every week and that Flash usually lacks -- and it was a lot better that way. In my opinion, anyway