Milla4Prez63

The Superhero Thread

Netflix Orders The Punisher Series - IGN

BY JOE SKREBELS

Confirming reports from earlier this year that it was in development (though Marvel then downplayed the possibility), The Punisher - as introduced in Marvel's Daredevil: Season 2 - is getting his own Netflix spinoff series.

As reported by Entertainment Weekly, Jon Bernthal will be reprising his role as the tortured vigilante, while Steve Lightfoot, who served as a writer and executive producer on Hannibal, will be showrunner on the series.
Netflix and Marvel Television's collaboration currently have five separate series in various stages of production: Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Jessica Jones: Season 2, The Defenders (which brings together all three of those heroes, plus Daredevil) and The Punisher.
It's not clear whether The Punisher will now also appear in The Defenders, but it seems likely.
:panic::yay:

Makes it even better that someone from Hannibal, a great show itself, is showrunning it. Pretty fucking sweet news.

Also, in other news, the shit storm that is the DCEU has fallen even further with the departure of The Flash's director.

James Wan also considering dropping Aquaman. LolDCEU :mjlaugh:

Sparty is so lame lol. But the DCU is in trouble. Somehow people like to equate that to the quality of the actual work of DC Comics....which is the bigger joke if you can't separate a movie studio and the source material.

I can't believe people watch AoS lol. I mean I heard all about the changes and different direction it took after a couple seasons. But I'm not an Inhuman fan so I HIGHLY doubt it gets even close to the hype I'm hearing about it. Never planning to watch it.

Edited by butta54

I picked up Agents of Shield late second season after dropping it a few episodes into the first. It's pretty good. :yep:

I don't think the quality of DC movies effects my opinions of the comics at all. If anything, DC puts out better stuff in the comics in some cases. I remember actually being impressed with some of the New 52 Aquaman stuff. Detective Comics disappointed me at the time though.

But there is no doubt the quality of DC movies is not up to standards, and it isn't even on DC. I've said time and time again, it's on the incompetence of Warner Bros. DC doesn't have their own production studio like Marvel does. Their parent company just uses the characters as they please with their studio. Marvel movies are made with love and care by people passionate about the characters, DC movies are made by corporate jerk offs trying to make quick cash.

DC owns the animation game though, Marvel needs to step up their game there. Same with video games.

Yeah that wasn't aimed at fans like you Milla that can tell the difference unlike some fanboys who use the movies to confirm their preference in the Marvel characters. I was talking about that on our youtube show not too long ago about why I lost faith in the DCU....because behind Marvel is Disney (a smart, money-hungry, professional company) and behind DC is Warner Bros (a company with no real consistent track record).

Zack Snyder make no mistake is a lover of the properties and treats it with care....he just has his own vision and DC has to poke and prod with it to make sure its "sexy" enough for them. We all lose as fans really....cause if a reboot happens it will be about 5 years until the DCU is started up again.

I'm not going to go on just Snyder because pretty much all non Nolan DC films made since Batman Returns have been pretty poor, IMO. It's just ridiculous they are trying to bring over the tone form the Nolan movies to the DCEU as well. Dark and brooding doesn't work for Superman. He's supposed to be a boy scout type, not what we've seen on the big screen lately. Just imagine Captain America snapping people's necks and just walking around with this brooding and depressing attitude.

There is a TON of potential for a shared DC movie universe, but this one hasn't gotten off to a good start. I'm not sure what they could do to fix it, but I'm not sure what is going to happen if Suicide Squad turns out to be a disappointment. Which btw, I don't think it will be, I think it will blow Man of Steel and Dawn of Justice out of the water. But still, if it gets shit on and underperforms at the box office, what will Warner do? That would be 3 stinkers in a row, with directors leaving this whole project could be in jeopardy and it sucks.

I don't mind Superman. I love him actually. I don't think it's dark and brooding. I think it is just a realistic take on the characters unlike what Marvel did with its colorful jokey type movies. I like the difference. I like looking at the characters as if this was real life and what would happen. I think that is why I loved MoS and BvS and the ones that like those movies appreciate the political, cultural, and emotional fallout that would be caused by an Alien among us.

Him not walking in being a boy scout do-gooder for no reason is what I always wanted, Snyder (really Nolan who was the guide behind Man of Steel) looked into what made Superman into Superman. And I'm disappointed he didn't reach his full hero status in BvS....it sets up the opportunity (by the ending) for him to end up realizing how important he is to the Earth.

Also that is great tone because that is what Civil War is literally copying beat for beat and everyone is swallowing it up. So no fan can tell me that's the problem.

But all the reports out there about Snyder fighting with WB seems as if he might leave. And if he leaves I don't see how you continue the DCU based off his two starting movies and go in a different direction. I think you have to shut the DCU down and reboot 5 years later.

Edited by butta54

Butta you are excited for CW, you even said so yourself so you're swallowing the same damn thing. :pls:

Butta you are excited for CW, you even said so yourself so you're swallowing the same damn thing. :pls:

I also liked BvS and never said I had a problem with superhero movies going in a gritty realistic tone...which was the whole point..... :pls:

I don't think CW has the same tone or atmosphere going on at all. Ya, the subject matter is going to be a bit darker as the team begins to splinter and turn on one another... But it isn't like the movie is shot with negative saturation and dark ass filters on it like BvS was.

We won't know until it comes out, but it appears to be more emotionally invested -- and the fans surely are as these are movies that have been building up for years now. Everything BvS tried doing in one movie, Marvel has been leading up to for 10x longer. It helps us care about the actual characters and make those decisions that much more impactful.

Saying CW is copying that 'beat for beat' is misguided, to say the least, IMO.

- Two heroes trying to achieve the same goal, but a difference in ideology (which was NEVER there until this movie) causes a conflict....Batman being cruel to criminals and Superman operating under his own direction not answering to anyone

-Government is now looking to hold heroes accountable for the damage caused and the way in which they operate (even though they were loved in every other movie)......Superman being put on trial and dividing the world on his existence

-Damage done around his homeland causes Black Panther to be brought into the fight as he wants the damage put in control......Bruce Wayne seeing the damage done to Metropolis and wants Superman in check

-Good guys fighting good guys while there is a large threat in Thanos out there ready to pull them together in the end, making all the fighting really inconsequential.

The lighting of the movie in ZERO way has any bearing on what we are talking about with the essence of the movie. I love that how much color is put in the movie always has to be a talking point.

The fact that it is a team vs a team doesn't change the crux of the issue. Yes there are more characters and movies that Marvel is drawing from...but making the idea bigger doesn't make it different. You being emotionally invested is first of all a subjective thing and secondly again doesn't change what the concept is.

To dispute that it Marvel went in an opposite tonal direction is misguided. I knew already...and has since been confirmed that Captain America 3 was not originally the Civil War storyline and was changed after the Batman vs Superman idea was announced. You couldn't make the two heroes fight each other in the atmosphere that the MCU has created....they weren't serious enough to tell this story. So it has been flipped around to give it the emotional weight. And again I have ZERO problems with it and I LOVE IT just as I loved BvS and MoS. But to act like Marvel is being original here is just goofy.

Edited by butta54

In other words, you're bashing Marvel for being unoriginal, yet neglect to mention the fact that the DCEU is LITERALLY copying Marvel page-by-page. Gotcha.

You're painting some VERY VERY broad strokes. You could say African Queen with Humphrey Bogart and Spider Man were the same movies if you really wanted to.

Plus, it's not like Civil War is an original story... It was written like 10 years ago. So all the gibberish about you knowing this or knowing that about production means JACK SHIT. Lmao.

Even if they were "copying beat for beat" (ridiculous).. Thank goodness we have Marvel around to do it right, unlike Warner Bros and the shit they feed us.

Civil War is going to work because Marvel has been building up this conflict, whereas DC just threw Batman and Superman together without any real reason to fight. Which is why they had to have Luthor kidnap Superman's mom to get him to fight Batman.

In other words, you're bashing Marvel for being unoriginal, yet neglect to mention the fact that the DCEU is LITERALLY copying Marvel page-by-page. Gotcha.

So no where in there did I bash Marvel....because I pointed out facts does that mean I have a problem with it? Sounds like fanboy logic.

Secondly I already said I love what they are doing and I'm excited to see it....so how exactly am I bashing it?

And third....DCU is copying Marvel how? Because last time I checked a shared universe isn't Marvel's idea. Comics have been told in this format for years, just because you do it with a movie doesn't all of a sudden make it your format.

You're painting some VERY VERY broad strokes. You could say African Queen with Humphrey Bogart and Spider Man were the same movies if you really wanted to.

Plus, it's not like Civil War is an original story... It was written like 10 years ago. So all the gibberish about you knowing this or knowing that about production means JACK SHIT. Lmao.

Even if they were "copying beat for beat" (ridiculous).. Thank goodness we have Marvel around to do it right, unlike Warner Bros and the shit they feed us.

The concept of two heroes fighting each other was not Marvel's intended course. It was changed after WB decided to go Batman v Superman. That is all I was saying.

No I don't mean beat for beat by story and etc. Of course it will feel different. But to sit here and act like Marvel isn't going in the same direction that every Marvel fan boy sat on the internet and had a circle jerk bashing session is funny. I just don't get why saying Marvel went to a tone that was more what DC is doing is such disrespect...as if King Marvel only does original stories and ideas.

And third....DCU is copying Marvel how? Because last time I checked a shared universe isn't Marvel's idea. Comics have been told in this format for years, just because you do it with a movie doesn't all of a sudden make it your format.

Do you actually think the DC Universe has nothing to do with the massive success Marvel has had doing the same thing?

The concept of two heroes fighting each other was not Marvel's intended course. It was changed after WB decided to go Batman v Superman. That is all I was saying.

No I don't mean beat for beat by story and etc. Of course it will feel different. But to sit here and act like Marvel isn't going in the same direction that every Marvel fan boy sat on the internet and had a circle jerk bashing session is funny. I just don't get why saying Marvel went to a tone that was more what DC is doing is such disrespect...as if King Marvel only does original stories and ideas.

Fair enough I suppose. When you say copying it 'beat for beat' that make it seem like you intended it to mean that there was a lot more going on there then just that. Not saying that is what you mean, just that I think it is easy to take it that way.

In other (kind of) news, Civil War has surpassed $200 M already.

Edited by Favre4Ever

Civil War is going to work because Marvel has been building up this conflict, whereas DC just threw Batman and Superman together without any real reason to fight. Which is why they had to have Luthor kidnap Superman's mom to get him to fight Batman.

Batman had VERY real reasons to fight Superman...not sure how much more it has to be explained that people are afraid of what they don't understand especially when it is that powerful.

Superman also had real reasons to fight Batman but he didn't because he knows that is not a match.

Took Lex to be the tipping point. You think Steve and Tony will start out swinging? Bucky is the tipping point in Civil War....there has to be something to set the fight in motion. Not sure why we play that double standard.

Do you actually think the DC Universe has nothing to do with the massive success Marvel has had doing the same thing?

Shared universes, connected stories, prequels, sequels, and big franchises are not new. ANY reason to make more movies about popular content equals more money.

EVERYONE wanted to make superhero movies popular. Marvel wasn't the first to say hey let's do this. Marvel however was the first to make a REALLY good movie instead of trying to focus on how to set up the long game. The genius of Marvel was to leave a door open to make this a larger thing.

Again the large connected story is how comic books are written...that isn't an original Marvel Studios idea. However, it allowed the opportunity to force people to watch the other films to stay clued in thereby maximizing the money you make. Now the teamups are the real cash cow don't get me wrong here. But Marvel started the success by making Iron Man a great movie....at the end of the day that is what matters.

The only reason DCU didn't start a lot earlier is because Christopher Nolan had NO interest in making his movies part of that. Which is why he isn't the head of the DCU now.

well, now I know how to pronounce Feige (I think)