Milla4Prez63

The Superhero Thread

Original Spider-Man movie was pure justice to me :badass:

I'm talking in the sense that they won't screw up the third Spider-Man movie or the reboot like Sony did. We're gonna have Spidey for years to come.

Power Rangers costumes are okay. I don't hate them, but they aren't great either... Idk if I'll go see that movie, lol.....

Got my ticket to the first showing at 7pm... :rock:

Civil War has already grossed more than it's budget before it even releases in the United States.

In the theatre now. I'm SHAKING.

Sparty really drinking that juice.

In the theater !!!! Do you guys feel it ? The awesomeness is seeping through every crack and crevice !!!!!

• Upvote 1

There more pairs of glasses in this theater than an *add cliche line*

----------

On another note....haven't seen a single Iron Man shirt

Edited by butta54

Movie was great. I'll do some more in depth thought about it later, but damn good.

Highlight of the film to me was the exchanges between Stark and Spidey and also between Falcon and Bucky. Pure gold.

Didn't like the lack of a real villain tho. But still a solid 8/10.

Best thing about it tho was that it was VERY Cap-focused.

Edited by Sparty
  • Upvote 1

HOLY SHIT. HOLY SHIT. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

More in depth write up later. I love this fucking movie!

I'll be the first to point out the obvious. I'll be in the minority and that is plenty fine with me. This movie was very similar to BvS. And I'm 100% guaranteeing that over the next few weeks the same elements that fanboys bashed BvS for...they will gush over in Civil War. I'll gladly have that debate when the time comes.

With that being said....def not the Marvel movie most will be expecting. Russo def took it in the Winter Solider direction. Great stuff though. I'm 3/3 so far this year with our superhero movies. :notbad:

My jumbled reaction: http://tobtr.com/s/8810477

• Downvote 2

If anyone sits and tells you that this movie was like BvS, they are senile and looking to add publicity to a really bad (mediocre at best) film. Don't listen to them. This isn't about anyone in particular and references any unspecific person or persons that may try telling you that beyond a few very broad strokes of a brush that this was in anyway similar to BvS.

Yeah I'm shocked Ferve is leading the bandwagon of naivety. Haha broad strokes...as in if the details aren't the exact same than we can't say it's similar. Fanboy logic cracks me up.

But I'll have to have that conversation another day. Not enough energy to get into it right now.

Edited by butta54

Yes, please go collect your facts from other articles online that back your opinion. I will be sitting here ready and waiting when you get that list compiled. So excited to read it! Just be sure to C&P the URLs to the articles please, it makes it easier when I don't have to read the drivel you write.

In the meantime, conversations from the people surrounding me in the theater:

"Black panther is actually like... a black panther."

"As long as this doesn't suck as much as Batman Vs Superman, my money was well spent. I liked Affleck's Batman though, him directing the next Batman movie may be pretty good."

"Damn!!! That's how you do it!"

" Michael Keaton is on talks to play that one bird villain " (technically no longer true as Keaton pulled out)

" I really liked Toby's Spider-Man "

Edited by Favre4Ever

I have no idea what you are referring to. Only place I get opinions from is me, you keep throwing that out there and now sure what you smoke to make you believe that's a fact. :shrug:

But while my dinner is cooking, you need me to break down to you how story beats look I can start doing that for you...

Edited by butta54

Spider-Man and Ant-Man were some of my favorite scenes. I like the jokesters.

• Upvote 2

I don't know what should or shouldn't be in spoilers so... Here we go.

Not sure where to begin really, but let's just go with that the fact that Civil War was able to retain the wit and charm we all love in Marvel films even as we delve into all of this in-fighting. The ability to balance so many different emotions while keeping the whole thing fun and "light", relatively, is fantastic. And yet, it doesn't take me away from feeling the sadness, anger, and desperation, for example of Tony.

Death played a big part of this movie, but it never needed to be direct kill shots and never capitalized on merely the shock value or brutality of the death itself. You had Wanda's little mishap that killed people, but we never really see the deaths themselves, but more the impact and carnage wrought after the fact on video replays and newscasts. The impact is strong and powerful as it moves the audience and the characters in the movie without seeing any over the top gore or brutality for the sake of being brutal. It's crazy! Then you have the explosion at the UN and even though others die, we really only see T'Chaka taken out and again it isn't about the blood or gore or shock value. Instead, the focus is on the emotional toll that death takes and how it impacts characters within the movie. Then you of course also have the 5 winter soldiers being killed, but we don't see that either, not directly, anyway and relatively inconsequential.

Just goes to show you that death can actually mean something and it doesn't need to be used needlessly to be "bad ass" or "awesome" like other hero films we've seen recently. There doesn't need to be blood, gore, or any real level of direct brutality.

Speaking of balancing acts.... I am still amazed at how Marvel can juggle SO MANY characters effectively. Even in this movie, when there is more people than ever, fantastic! The film remained Captain America-centric (which I was a bit worried about) while still keeping everyone else relevant.

Sparty mentioned that he disliked that the movie didn't "have a real villain".. While I get what he means, I still pretty strongly disagree. It's not Thanos or Ultron or Loki or anything like that, but I very much enjoyed how they set up Civil War and enjoyed Zemo. Daniel Bruhl is a criminally underrated actor and I thought he was fantastic. It was nice to move away from the super-villains this time around, IMO... Focused more on the people themselves and their internal struggles and conflicts, including Zemo.

The introduction of Black Panther DID NOT DISAPPOINT. Awesome character and awesomely played. He is just SO awesome and maybe even better is the man under the mask. You just want to learn more about him from the get-go -- or at least, I did. The Black Panther movie is going to be kick ass!

The show stopper though was Spider-Man. Holy. Shit. We finally have a Peter Parker worthy of holding the mantle of Spider-Man. The writing, attitude, portrayal, personality, acting, etc have finally come together to give us the Spider-Man that we all have deserved for a long time. I was skeptical of Holland, his age, and the direction they wanted to go with Spider-Man, but... Figure me as happy being totally wrong. Absolutely excited to see more of him moving forward. And, I think the scene where Stark goes to recruit him is maybe the best in the movie. The interactions in their apartment are just so good. Loved it. Not to mention, his interactions with the rest of the cast were great as well. So, so, so happy with how this turned out.

Ant-Man was also pretty not terrible. (Nobody tell Milla I said that).

The story, the way it arcs, how it concludes (for this part anyway)... Loved it all. I can't think of any truly huge gripes with the movie. I don't really think I would have changed much of anything I may think of something later or once somebody else brings it up, but right now off the top of my head, I don't have anything.

This is what Marvel Studios does better than anyone and why they will continue to be successful -- and we've talked about it before. They have passionate people running the show at every level in the creation of the film. From the guys behind the cameras, to the casting agents, to the actors, to the writers, and so on and so forth.

It's magical.

Edited by Favre4Ever

Civil War and BvS are obviously very similar and have a lot of plot elements that are very close. That doesn't mean the quality is the anywhere near the same though.

Just like in BvS, Civil War deals with the destruction these characters cause and the normal people's response to controlling it. Just like Luthor, Zemo is the one pulling the strings behind the scenes to get everyone to fight each other.

HOWEVER, this movie has you way more emotionally invested into the characters. For one, they weren't rushed on to the screen for a quick cash grab like BvS. This is a movie that has been building up since the first Avengers. Despite all the characters, the heart of the movie is still Captain America and his relationship with Bucky. Which was truly the heart of this whole Captain America trilogy.

My thoughts on the movie

-Despite the amount of characters, it still truly felt like a Captain America movie, albeit with Iron Man co-starring. The other characters for the most part still had some quality moments and fleshing out of their characters despite smaller roles. The chemistry building between Vision and Scarlet Witch was well done. Falcon was great as well. Some characters like Hawkeye and Ant-Man had smaller roles and were just there for action sequences and what not, but still great. When Scott went Giant Man, that was fun to watch.

-Black Panther was incredible. The suit was awesome, action was awesome and Chadwick Boseman's acting was on point. His scene at the end with Zemo was great.

-Spider-Man stole every scene he was in. Granted, it wasn't many it was still awesome and surreal to see Spidey out there duking it out with these characters.

-Zemo was no doubt a very "meh" villain, which is something you get used to with MCU movies. But the Russos indicated he is there to set up something and the fact that he was left alive makes me believe this even more. Pretty much every MCU villain except Loki ends up dead, but not Zemo.

-Even though I was wrong on most of my predictions of the film, I was right about the whole Bucky killing the Starks thing and it playing a role. It wasn't a bold prediction, especially since it was hinted at in Winter Soldier. But still, that scene where Tony witnesses his parents die at Bucky's hands was emotional and very well done.

Not very many bad things to say about this movie, the Russos are legit and I can't wait to see this direction the MCU is headed.

[No one is talking about the Bucky and Falcon exchanges? they were awesome! The scenes where Cap kisses Sharon and when they were wrapped in web when Falcon says he hates Bucky was comedy at its best, lol.

Civil War and BvS are obviously very similar and have a lot of plot elements that are very close. That doesn't mean the quality is the anywhere near the same though.

*Didn't Read The Spoiler Part Of Your Post*

This is ALL I was saying the entire time. Again....people taking my words and making it more than what it is. I gladly admit certain parts were executed 10x better in Civil War than in BvS.

However, fans acting as if it is completely out of left field to say that the two movies are very similar in the concepts and teams (which I've said the whole time) is annoying. Also, fans playing double standards...calling story parts weak in BvS and Civil War did THE SAME STUFF and are slurping it up.

No where did I say the quality is the same as each other. I think the movies have very different holes and different strengths in the details. But the concept is beat by beat the same as I been saying for years.