Milla4Prez63

The Superhero Thread

I don't think they are up in arms at all. BvS failed to meet expectations, Civil War is on it's way to over a billion dollars. Lol.

Ok I'm not trying to make this is into another DC vs Marvel thing. So not going to go back and forth with you.

I'm talking pure business. And if a studio is up in arms about not making a billion back for their first full out franchise movie. Then I'm sure a studio is up in arms about not exceeding their projections for a movie that is their THIRD big-time team up in the franchise.

Especially when you made a billion with other movies, and a billion with the first movie in the Star Wars series....the bar goes up each time...doesn't stay the same or go down. Just how greedy businesses work.

If the legs work out then fine, but going up against another big film in the same genre idk.

Edited by butta54

No, I think you are wrong. I really don't think Marvel is upset at all. Their Captain America movie is going to gross over a billion dollars more than likely. Of course businesses are greedy, and that's great. I don't think they are greedy enough to say their likely-billion dollar film disappointed them, however. DC and Marvel were in very different realms and stages of their universe. DC doesn't want you to believe that, because they tried catching up to Marvel in one movie, but it doesn't really work like that.

No, I think you are wrong. I really don't think Marvel is upset at all. Their Captain America movie is going to gross over a billion dollars more than likely. Of course businesses are greedy, and that's great. I don't think they are greedy enough to say their likely-billion dollar film disappointed them, however. DC and Marvel were in very different realms and stages of their universe. DC doesn't want you to believe that, because they tried catching up to Marvel in one movie, but it doesn't really work like that.

Yeah like I said I'm not going to go back and forth with you making this a DC vs Marvel thing.

I'm not saying this or that was a disappointment or failure like you guise. But saying Disney wanted more money by now is a no-brainer and not a discussion.

Yeah like I said I'm not going to go back and forth with you making this a DC vs Marvel thing.

I'm not saying this or that was a disappointment or failure like you guise. But saying Disney wanted more money by now is a no-brainer and not a discussion.

Broad strokes is your game. I have a dollar of course I want a second dollar. There is no evidence that Marvel is at all upset by the opening weekend as far as I can tell. Maybe your inside sources can shed more light though (don't forget the URLs).

Edited by Favre4Ever

Broad strokes is your game. I have a dollar of course I want a second dollar. There is no evidence that Marvel is at all upset by the opening weekend as far as I can tell. Maybe your inside sources can shed more light though (don't forget the URLs).

Never claimed to have inside sources :shrug:

Broad statements is all speculation is. With no inside sources your opinion that they are happy with the returns is just as broad as my opinion. I'm just speculating whereas you are trying to turn this into something more of a confrontation as always.

Projections were over $200 million. They fell short. I'm curious why. Doubt Disney is excited about that. Simple math kid.

Edited by butta54

Never claimed to have inside sources :shrug:

Broad statements is all speculation is. With no inside sources your opinion that they are happy with the returns is just as broad as my opinion. I'm just speculating whereas you are trying to turn this into something more of a confrontation as always.

Projections were over $200 million. They fell short. I'm curious why. Doubt Disney is excited about that. Simple math kid.

No need to be condescending, Butta.

There really is no confrontation at all. Your opinions are even opinions. You say things like, "Disney would like more money.". That's the broad strokes I am talking about... Because for one, who doesn't like more money. I would like more money, I am sure you would like more money... I mean, what kind of dumb comment is that ?

You are thinking a lot harder about this than I bet Disney is. Haha.

No need to be condescending, Butta.

There really is no confrontation at all. Your opinions are even opinions. You say things like, "Disney would like more money.". That's the broad strokes I am talking about... Because for one, who doesn't like more money. I would like more money, I am sure you would like more money... I mean, what kind of dumb comment is that ?

You are thinking a lot harder about this than I bet Disney is. Haha.

No confrontation, but cut off the quote to lose the context. LoL whatever you say. Done talking about this topic with you.

Thank goodness, please stop immediately. Haha. At least we can both stop knowing that we agree that Civil War was an overall better film. Ending on common ground is good. :yep:

In response to Milla earlier, I saw some of those reviews earlier. Not nice, at all. I remain cautiously optimistic however. I loved the last two movies, and I just can't imagine they could screw it up that much.

Edited by Favre4Ever

We all know Butta has bad taste in movies. Let's just leave it at that and call it a day. :yep:

Edited by Sparty

No way is Marvel upset, especially if it continues at it's projected pace. I mean, 200 million opening weekend would've been nice but only three movies ever have done that. I feel like expectations are getting unrealistic for some movies at the box office these days.

• Upvote 1

only the fifth bigest domestic weekend ever, I'm sure Disney is sooooooooooo pissed about that

it also just crossed $700M worldwide, I really don't think anyone is disappointed at the box office showing so far

• Upvote 2

Wonder Woman is a wrap on shooting!

Wonder-Woman-2-540x360.jpg

• Upvote 1

We all know Butta has bad taste in movies. Let's just leave it at that and call it a day. :yep:

You are just an idiot

No way is Marvel upset, especially if it continues at it's projected pace. I mean, 200 million opening weekend would've been nice but only three movies ever have done that. I feel like expectations are getting unrealistic for some movies at the box office these days.

only the fifth bigest domestic weekend ever, I'm sure Disney is sooooooooooo pissed about that

it also just crossed $700M worldwide, I really don't think anyone is disappointed at the box office showing so far

Unrealistic expectations, but sat here listening to the Marvel fans crap on the first real introduction into the DCU not making a billion dollars......

A lot of money is a lot of money which I've said the whole entire time yet, from everyone in this thread it was always about what this movie should have made and blah blah. As I've said before I think it was a great weekend and would be happy about it.

You are free to your opinion, but if you for one second think Disney is celebrating about coming under projections and not over-performing it's previous summer blockbuster.....than you are just being naive on how big business actually works. I never said they were pissed off and all this other extra stuff people are adding, but they are up in arms trying to figure out what the issue was.

Edited by butta54

No they aren't because there is no issue. They in one weekend at the US Box Office have almost surpassed DC's first attempt at a team up film. They are rolling in cash and laughing their asses off at the futile attempts of other studios.

Saying a lot of money is a lot of money is not looking at the big picture though. Only three movies ever have opened to over 200 million (The Force Awakens, Jurassic World and The Avengers). There was hope that Civil War could pull it off, but 180 isn't much to cry about and this movie probably won't see historic drops at the box office. It will be just the 4th Marvel film to do a billion and the first Captain America movie to do so. Marvel and Disney will be happy with the final numbers, I'm sure they deep down hoped for some records but Star Wars set the bar too high.

Agent Carter probably shouldn't have gotten a 2nd season in hindsight.

I've been doing some thinking lately about how they could possibly bring the X-Men into the MCU. At first I thought a reboot was a must, but now I've got a pretty good idea of how they could do this.

In the comics Marvel recently did a major crossover multiverse arc where the main 616 universe and the Ultimate universe kind of combined. Well, let's try it on the big screen. Kick off phase 4 with an Avengers vs. X-Men movie that ends with the X-Men making the MCU their new home. The idea of seeing Michael Fassbender's Magneto fight against RDJ's Iron Man is pretty cool to me and would probably be a hit with audiences.

If Marvel and FOX could work out a deal this would be the best way of handling it, IMO. But I won't lose sleep if we never get the X-Men in the MCU. We need the Fantastic Four back though because Galactus is the one thing you could do to top Thanos.

So after it's 2nd domestic weekend, Civil War is at 940 million world wide. Looks to be the first billion dollar movie of 2016.

A HARLEY QUINN Spin-Off Movie Is on the Way | Nerdist

In a bit of news that should delight DC fans everywhere, The Hollywood Reporter is breaking the news that actress Margot Robbie is producing and starring in her own Harley Quinn spin-off movie, after her character debuts in this summer’s Suicide Squad. But that’s not even the coolest part — this movie isn’t planned on just being a Harley spin-off, but will also feature a whole group of female DC characters, hinted to include Batgirl and the Birds of Prey.

well I'm intrigued

Feel like it would be a much smarter move by DC to wait to see how SS does and how well she's received. Based on the trailers it looks like SS is going to be very good, and so is she in her role, but green lighting a movie based on trailer reception seems like a bit much.

But swinging for anything not related to Zack Snyder is probably a good move by DC overall. Ben Affleck directed Batman movie(s), Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman(and now I guess this new spin off too) will need to carry DC for as long as the Justice League is helmed by Snyder, cause the movies done by him are almost guaranteed to be a disappointment.

Hopefully SS does knock it out of the park, and I know Ben Affleck's Batman movies will, and that will finally convince DC to make a change from Snyder. Whether it be to Ayer, Affleck or someone else.

Harley Quinn has a cult following of her own, I think it was only a matter of time. They have to do it right, though. If they don't, you might see the entire thing collapse (not just because of this film, but the domino effect of other events as well).

I'm starting to think that Zack Snyder didn't ruin BvS. It wouldn't make sense that he's directing a Star Wars film if he did.

Edited by Sparty

I'm starting to think that Zack Snyder didn't ruin BvS. It wouldn't make sense that he's directing a Star Wars film if he did.

nick-young-confused-face-300x256_nqlyaa.

• Upvote 1

Looks like DC is already trying to get Ben Affleck to save their movie universe:

He's now an executive producer for the Justice League films.

As reported by Deadline, Oscar winning director and current Bruce Wayne actor Ben Affleck has been tagged as an official executive producer on the upcoming Justice League: Part One. But with Captain America: Civil War currently racking it up at the box office is it too little too late to save the DC film universe from the damage Zack Snyder’s Batman V Superman did to studios’ credibility?

---

Further, it could signal that Warner Bros. doesn’t think that Snyder is the man for the job any more with Affleck “edging Zack Snyder out of a controlling central position in the DC Movieverse.”

According to Forbes, Affleck is bringing aboard his Argo screenwriter Chris Terrio onto the Justice League movie for rewrites, instantly doubling the amount of Oscar winners now involved in the project. The move will also “help better align the Justice League film with Affleck’s solo Batman project” that Ben co-wrote with DC’s Chief Creative Officer and famed comic scribe Geoff Johns.

http://www.inquisitr.com/3103493/can-ben-affleck-save-the-dc-film-universe-from-zack-snyder/

Edited by .AirMcNair.