Milla4Prez63

The Superhero Thread

Gotham premiered tonight. It was an okay first episode, but I'll give it time. Just feels weird having a Batman show without Batman though.

That's not really what bothers me, as I don't really see it as a Batman show. The idea is cool, I just think it lacked execution in week 1. Some of the acting seems really fail (I reallllllly hate Alfred). Some of the scenes and dialogue and actors seem really cheesy and contrived.

Overall, I am going to keep watching it and I feel it will get better. The star of the show will be the relationship between Gordon and Bruce. If that doesn't continue to grow and prosper (I think it will), the show will not work.

Edited by Favre4Ever

Gotham is a real Portuguese breakfast...

Alfred was horrible, lol. Literally the worst live action version of the character I've seen. But nearly everyone else seemed fine in the role. I felt they went too far with shoving random villains everywhere. In the first episode we got Penguin, Catwoman, Riddler and Poison Ivy but only one of them was really fleshed out. Also rolled my eyes when the little girl who is supposed to be Poison Ivy was just named Ivy. Really lame and it shows the producers don't think the audience will know who she is supposed to be without flat out telling us, her real name is Pamela Isley but whatever.

Agents of SHIELD season 2 starts tonight, I'm still watching despite not being overly impressed. I feel like they can do more with it and I'm interested in seeing how SHIELD is going to be rebuilt after the events of Winter Soldier.

Fun fact: The dude who plays Alfred is the same guy who played Colonel Radec in Killzone 2.

I really liked Gotham's pilot. Not great, but pretty good. I will most definitely be glued to the TV each week when it's on...

Yeah it is weird watching something like this with no Batman, but it's a fresh perspective. Again, so far, I like it.

I think it'll just keep getting better and better.

Edited by BucD
  • Upvote 1

I thought the Gotham Pilot was a little cheesy. It didn't seem to take itself seriously. The way they showed the villains was just flat out dumb. And way too many villains in the first episode... The only highlight for me is Harvey and Gordon. But that really is the way it should be. They're going to bring in Joker (lol, really? you kinda need batman for him) and Mr. Freeze. Just sad that we probably wont see any super powers at all.

• Upvote 1

Ya, as I mentioned earlier... Alfred is so bad I had to laugh at the portrayal. I can't believe somebody actually green lit that. Not only the acting, but just how the character was portrayed through the script... BAD. Just a bad joke, imo.

But ya.. The Penguin was terrible. Beyond terrible actually. Somebody mentioned overacting, definitely the case here. I was kinda baffled by the addition of Nygma already... His insertion seemed completely pointless, which annoyed me because he is one of my favorite characters from the series. Butch Gilzean was derpy. I even thought Harvey's part was terribly overacted, which is weird because I like the actor that portrays him. Don't like the actress that plays Barbara.

Fish was solid, I thought. Still a little overacted, but again that seems to be a common and maybe even purposeful theme in the show. Also thought Falcone was pretty good.... And as mentioned previously, the entire show is going to revolve around Bruce and Gordon and how they develop.

I love both of those castings. David Mazouz was cast opposite Kiefer Sutherland in Touch and thought he was good in that (even though he never talked). Talented young actor in a really important role for this show.

And again, these are just early interpretations / first impressions. It can and most likely will change.... As I said, I will keep watching it, anyway. Permanent place on my DVR unless it just gets really stupid, which I don't anticipate.

I like the stylized feel of Gotham though, I think they captured that pretty well. You can tell though that the writers aren't anywhere near the level of those from Arrow or what have you. If you hadn't already, it's time to lower expectations, IMO.

Second episode of Gotham was a piece-of-crap filler episode.

So I guess Joaquin Phoenix is pretty much out of the running now for Dr. Strange. Heard something about Ethan Hawke being rumored for the gig.

Kinda glad Phoenix is out, TBH. Good actor, but not sure he fits with a comic book movie. Not sure Hawke does either, but that's a better choice than Phoenix.

Ethan Hawke is definitely worse for Doctor Strange than Phoenix, IMO. Downgrade x10.

http://comicbook.com/2014/10/03/simon-kinberg-confirms-deadpool-movie-is-part-of-shared-x-men-ci/

Fans were thrilled to hear that the Deadpool movie was finally going into production, with a release date set for February 2016. The film is being put into development by Twentieth Century Fox, who also create the X-Men films.

Being an on-again, off-again member of the X-Men’s extended family, fans have wondered how connected the Deadpool movie would be Fox’s X-Men films. In an exclusive interview with ComicBook.com, X-Men: Days of Future Past writer and producer Simon Kinberg confirmed that the movie will be part of a larger, expanding, shared cinematic universe with the other X-Men movies.

“There’s definitely a sort of overall plan that we’ve all been talking about for the X-Men universe now,” Kinberg explained, “and Deadpool obviously fits into that. So yeah, I guess I would say it's part of certainly an overall timeline and thought process that goes into these films, some of which is inspired by the comics and some which is inspired by seeing what Marvel’s done with telling a larger tapestry and linking all those movies together, even as they stand independently as well. The same kind of thought is going to go into these X-Men movies at Fox.”

The original script for Deadpool is said to be detached from the main X-Men film universe, even making jokes at the expense of X-Men Origins: Wolverine, where Deadpool made his first on-screen appearance.

However, the inclusion of Deadpool in the same universe as the main X-Men films opens up a new realm of possibilities for crossover and a shared, overarching narrative.

Deadpool will open in theaters February 12, 2016.

X-Men: Days of Future Past comes to Blu-ray and DVD on October 14, 2014.

Deadpool making fun of how shitty Origins Deadpool was is exactly what Deadpool would do. I think we are on the right track.

I'm with DMac, I like the way the Penguin is portrayed. I don't think it's overacting, the guy is playing somebody who's going through a psychotic break. Obviously he was never quite right to begin with but we're witnessing the birth of Gotham's first super villain (with no super powers). Really like Harvey Bullock so far too. I think the show is pretty good all in all. Not perfect, but I think it's kind of dumb to nit pick every little aspect of a show. As long as the plot makes sense and the story is interesting I'm good and so far all that checks out. The whole Poison Ivey name change is the only thing that has really irked me so far but it's pretty minor.

Edited by seanbrock
  • Upvote 1

Robert Downey, Jr. spilled the beans on the Ellen show this morning that Iron Man 4 is in development.

Well, at least this should mean they won't be killing him off in Avengers 2.

Anyone else watch Flash tonight? It had lots of cheese (to be expected from a live action TV show), but I think there is potential.

Well, at least this should mean they won't be killing him off in Avengers 2.

Confirms he's planned to die in Iron Man 4 though. He's only signed on for two more films.

Anyone else watch Flash tonight? It had lots of cheese (to be expected from a live action TV show), but I think there is potential.

I saw the leaked version months ago and I liked it. I really liked the promo for what's in store for the rest of the season as well. He's crossing-over with Arrow in episode 8.

I'm not sure where this obsession of Iron Man dying started from, but I doubt Marvel kills off it's movie cash cow anytime soon.

People like death in fiction. Gives things more meaning or something.

Even if he died, he would be resurrected in some form or fashion, or they will travel back in time somehow to undo it... lol. Make no mistake... Superheroes die, but they don't stay dead.