Milla4Prez63

The Superhero Thread

So, finally got around to watching The Flash. It did have it's cheese filled moments, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting after reading some of the comments. I guess maybe that's just because I half expected it... Grnat Gustin was pretty darn good, but I think it's the Harrison Wells character that kinda steals my intrigue and kudos after the pilot. I am actually kinda more interested in learning about him, lol.

Wall of text.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/robert-downey-jr-to-join-captain-america-3-exclusive-1201312229/

Robert Downey Jr. is on the verge of signing on to “Captain America 3,” a move that would bring the Civil War storyline from Marvel’s comicbooks to the bigscreen and trigger the start of a new phase of movies from Marvel Studios.

The actor is in final negotiations to play billionaire Tony Stark in the third installment, which is slated to begin production in the Spring for a May 6, 2016, release. Downey is already set to suit up as Iron Man for next year’s “The Avengers: Age of Ultron” and “The Avengers 3.”

The deal is significant for the Marvel cinematic universe considering the plot will pit Stark against Captain America’s alter-ego Steve Rogers, played by Chris Evans, as they feud over the Superhero Registration Act, which forces anyone with superhuman abilities to reveal their identities to the U.S. government and agree to act as a police force for the authorities.

Stark supports the program, but Rogers does not, saying it threatens civil liberties, causing sides to be taken and Rogers, among others, to go on the run to avoid arrest. The moral question and battle with his Avengers teammate essentially makes Stark a villain of sorts in “Captain America 3,” providing Downey with a meaty role he could play out into future Marvel films, including a fourth “Avengers.”

Marvel on Monday announced plans to reboot the Civil War comicbook miniseries in 2015, which will help introduce the story to new readers leading up to “Captain America 3.” The first crossover of Marvel’s biggest characters, including Spider-Man, was published in 2006.

But the deal for Downey to return as Iron Man almost didn’t happen.

Originally, Marvel wanted to hire Downey for a small role, which would have required just three weeks of work. But Downey wanted Stark to have a more substantial role in the film’s plot, which would give him more screen time and naturally a bigger payday. This angered Marvel Entertainment chief Ike Perlmutter, who ordered the screenwriters to write Iron Man out of the script entirely, according to sources with knowledge of the situation.

Even though the deal appeared dead, Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige and Downey’s reps at CAA continued talks in hopes of working out their issues. Feige was bent on executing his grand vision for extending the life of the Marvel characters over many years.

The executive needed his boss to see the big picture, considering the introduction of the Civil War story is seen as a way to drive the plots of sequels and new franchises for the next seven years, given the dramatic possibilities it offers for future films. The fallout from the government and Stark’s actions would factor into a new “Avengers 4″ film and beyond that will assemble new characters being introduced like Ant-Man and Doctor Strange, among others, in their own movies.

Downey, who earned $50 million for “The Avengers” alone, will collect around $40 million plus backend participation for “Captain America 3,” said sources, and will get an additional payout if “Captain America 3″ outperforms “Captain America: The Winter Soldier’s” $714 million worldwide haul. Since the actor did not appear in the first two “Captain America” films, the thinking is that if the third installment surpasses the last movie, its success could be attributed to Downey.

It’s also worth noting that Evans is clearly a bigger star now, evidenced by the fact that “Captain America: The Winter Soldier” grossed nearly twice as much as “The First Avenger’s”” $371 million in 2011.

Marvel still could have worked around Downey if need be. With the studio having already reworked plots from the comicbooks to fit its bigscreen agenda, it’s certainly feasible that Stark could have been turned into a different character to butt heads with Captain America — the Incredible Hulk’s Bruce Banner, for example. Another option could have been dropping the Civil War plot entirely, which would have required major rewrites.

Downey already has been open about wanting to remain in Marvel’s cinematic universe beyond his current contract that expires after the third “Avengers.” In early September, Downey told Variety in Toronto that currently “there is no plan for a fourth ‘Iron Man.'”

Yet Downey also has been wanting to play a larger role in future films as a way to remain creatively involved and close to his fanbase that would undoubtedly come out to see his non-Marvel movies. However, those fans didn’t show up in droves this past weekend to the actor’s latest picture “The Judge,” which debuted with just $13.3 million.

As for the future of Marvel movies, the Disney-owned studio already has 11 releases dated through 2019, including next summer’s “Avengers: Age of Ultron” and “Ant-Man.”

Anthony and Joe Russo, who directed “Captain America: The Winter Soldier,” will return to helm “Captain America 3.” The brothers are working on the script with Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely.

While Frank Grillo is expected to return as the villain Crossbones, Anthony Russo told Movies.com last month, “I can’t divulge who is going to be in the film, but I think fans are going to freak out when they hear about it,” clearly hinting at Downey being in the next sequel.

While Downey was instrumental in getting Marvel’s film franchises off the ground with the first “Iron Man” in 2008, the studio has since become a brand strong enough to launch titles that have little built-in audience awareness or major stars doing the heavy lifting — as evidenced by this summer’s mega-hit “Guardians of the Galaxy.” That film earned $687 million worldwide, surpassing “Iron Man 2.”

Marvel has long been known as a tough negotiator — and by some accounts cheap — but the studio hasn’t shied away from giving Downey what he’s asked for in the past. He’s reaped between $250 million and $300 million for the “Iron Man” trilogy, his role in “The Avengers” films, and a brief appearance in “The Incredible Hulk,” according to knowledgeable sources.

Now with “Captain America 3,” it doesn’t look like Downey is ready to hang up Iron Man’s suit anytime soon.

Marvel and CAA declined to comment.

RDJ in Cap 3 is awesome, them trying to do Civil War is kind of lame IMO.

The only thing I don't like about them doing Civil War plot is I wish it was further into the established universe.. Like.. I wish they already had 2 or 3 avengers movies.. 5 or 6 Cap and IM movies, etc.

My problem is that it's obviously going to be an overload of Iron Man vs. Cap, and it's going to lack a lot of the characters that made the comic arc go.

IMO, it was a pretty overrated story to begin with so I'm really meh on this whole deal. Especially if it is just limited to Captain America 3. You're just ending up with the superhero version of Freddy vs. Jason or Alien vs. Predator.

I dunno, I think that is a valid concern.. but I don't; think it will be a problem. Honestly, if anything, it gives them a broader range to introduce EVEN MORE of the universe and maybe less important characters -- and in effect spawning more movies. I think it will be overall great for the franchise, just not sure about the timing.

So many things I would LIKE to discuss.

But I want to start with the announcement of DC's movie-lineup going into 2020. A quick recap

• Batman v Superman (March 2016)
  • Suicide Squad (August 2016)
  • Wonder Woman (June 2017)
  • Justice League pt1 (November 2017)
  • Flash (March 2018)
  • Aquaman (July 2018)
  • Shazam (April 2019)
  • Justice League pt2 (June 2019)
  • Cyborg (April 2020)
  • Green Lantern (June 2020)

My quick takeaways at first glane is:

-No Green Lantern/Flash team up movie

-JL is a two part movie

-A new casting for Flash (Ezra Miller) meaning no connection with the TV series

-Also no Arrow movie which futher means no connection with TV series

-Suicide Squad is coming out very very soon before we even really get used to the new Batman universe unless that is the one movie connected to Gotham??

It's frightening how little I care about that movie line-up.

Also, two part movies are the devil.

• Upvote 2

The lineup is what it is, but DC is going to put out some good movies. It's goofy to say Marvel has corned the superhero market. Yes they did a great job organizing their movies and were the first to create a "cinematic universe", but each groups have different characters and at the end of the day the characters are the ones that hold all the power and DC has better characters IMO

Just got done season 2 of Arrow. It's an entertaining show. I like it don't get me wrong, but some of you guys have overrated the fuck out of it. lol

• Upvote 1

Any news on the Green Lantern film? Obviously being 6 years out there may not be, but.. I want Jon Stewart so bad. SO BAD.

Any news on the Green Lantern film? Obviously being 6 years out there may not be, but.. I want Jon Stewart so bad. SO BAD.

No news. I doubt it will be Jon Stewart....they seem to be really following alot of the new 52

I suppose we can compromise on no Ryan Reynolds and a movie that actually takes itself seriously.

You know I didn't really think the GL movie was as bad as other people. Ryan Reynolds is just a much more perfect Flash or Deadpool.

Man, I really hated it.. Lol. GL is one of my Top 5 heroes and it was just a joke. It was just too light hearted and goofy, IMO. Movie didn't seem to take itself too seriously, and therefore I can not.

Green Lantern is my childhood favorite hero. And I agree that Ryan Reynolds took Hal Jordan in a direction that I didn't like with how goofy and funny he tried to be, the origin story is pretty hard to mess up. It stayed true to very fundamental part and I loved that they let Sinestro start out in the Corps and not as a villian. The villian was a little left field for the first movie, but it gave fans a chance to see how powerful GL could be. The dead time btw action scenes is what really killed the movie IMO. Because Hal could have became more serious in the sequel

Because what's one more? (If true...)

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/batman-v-superman-is-jena-malone-playing-female-robin-1201332852/

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” will reportedly feature a female Robin, with actress Jena Malone rumored to be playing Carrie Kelly, according to a local news station in Detroit.

WILX-10 News station reporter Kirk Montgomery spoke with one of the extras at Michigan State University, where a scene involving Bruce Wayne (Ben Affleck) and Lex Luthor (Jesse Eisenberg) was being filmed this week.

“I’ve also learned that the character of Robin is now female,” he said alluding to the film’s top secret script.

Warner Bros. declined to comment.

Malone, who appeared in “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire,” has been seen on the WB set and recent movie premieres sporting a new red hairdo.

Casting rumors for “Batman v Superman” have been in high demand since director Zack Snyder revealed the project at Comic-Con last year.

The anonymous extra who spoke to WILX faces a hefty fine of $5 million after signing a non-disclosure agreement with Warner Bros.

“Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice,” co-starring Henry Cavill and Gal Gadot, opens March 25, 2016.

The amount of characters in Batman v Superman....... :puke:

New rumors that DC is going after Ryan Gosling, Will Smith, Tom Hardy, Margot Robbie, and others for the Suicide Squad.

The philosophy in mind is to save the upcoming stars for the roles of the Justice League and hit fans with a group of stars that they recognize right away in the Suicide Squad.

I think this might just be a genius idea if DC is able to pull in these A-List stars or at least some comparable to them. Think about it, most top names aren't into the Superhero movies because the deals are usually for multiple movies over a long amount of years. BUT with Suicide Squad they all play villians and will most likely be killed at the end of the movie and if they aren't killed I doubt they will use them in further movies. (Maybe a Batman solo movie) Either way this is the right move for a property like Suicide Squad that isn't very well-known. Almost the opposite of what Marvel did with Guardians of the Galaxy.

Avengers: Age of Ultron's trailer will debut during Agents of SHIELD next week.

hryZ5xPHpPAQ.gif

• Upvote 1

Still debating if I'm gonna watch to see the trailer or just wait until it someone puts it on Youtube :devious: