Milla4Prez63

The Superhero Thread

Wolverine Origins is a dogshit movie. I'm probably it's biggest hater. But there are factors you aren't considering.

1.X-Men Origins: Wolverine while being a shit movie, made 373 million at the box office. That's not a bad number at all. FOX likely walked away with some sort of profit from the movie with the budget being 150 million. Fantastic Four on the other hand, is flopping at the box office. A 26 million opening weekend on a 120 million dollar budget is bad. In comparison, Wolverine Origins made 85 million it's opening weekend. The bad word of mouth is going to keep it from making strides in the box office and I feel like the movie is lucky to earn 150 million worldwide when it's all said and done. When you factor in marketing and distribution costs, Fantastic Four likely is going to lose 20th Century FOX money. At best they break even, at best.

2.The Hugh Jackman factor. Even though Wolverine Origins was a shit fest, people love Jackman and his Wolverine. There's nobody on the cast of the Fantastic Four with a serious following or people demanding more. When you have a high profile actor that people love playing a certain character, it doesn't matter the quality of movie there will be a demand. Like how Iron Man 3 made over a billion at the box office despite mixed opinions on the quality. It's because of Robert Downey, Jr. (and a little post-Avengers hype)

3.The Fantastic Four property has taken a HUGE public hit with this film. While you do genuinely like this film, and since film is art and all art is subjective you have every right to like this movie and I won't argue with you over it, you have to admit that you are in the minority on this. The general reaction to this movie is really really bad. While Rotten Tomatoes is not the end all of film quality, this sitting at 9% is not good at all. That's a worse score than Elektra, Batman & Robin, Green Lantern, Ghost Rider 2 and Jonah Hex. Plus having two previous Fantastic Four films before that are also generally considered bad, the general audience no longer has any real desire for more Fantastic Four.

So in the end, we are talking about a movie that will likely lose the studio money while also becoming toxic to the general movie going audience. People within the company probably want to stay committed because they still see the Marvel brand as a cash cow and many within FOX also wish to spite Marvel, but at the end of the day when they have to face the big wigs and explain to them why they need to spend their money on another Fantastic Four, it's going to be a hard sell.

• Upvote 1

The Fantastic Four property was on a downward spiral long before this movie even begun production. And I think people are piling on right now just for the sake of piling on. Pixels is nearly doubling it's RT score... Have you seen Pixels? It's one of the worst movies I have ever seen... And that list includes Paul Blart 1 & 2, The Wickerman (Nic Cage), and Jack & Jill... Obviously I really wanted this movie to succeed... But reading through the reviews and stuff, there is NO WAY it can be worse than Pixels. Lol. No way in hell.

I might try getting out to see F4 tonight though and let you all know for sure.

Great points Milla and I agree. Here is what I would say tho

-F4 could very well blow up (in comparison) overseas. There taste is different so you just never know. The international box office could bring this to a break even. Depsite the big production budget, the marketing wasn't all that hard pressed (for obvious reasons) so I don't see them having a huge marketing bill. At the end of the day this could end up being on par with those Wolverine movies.

-I understand the negative word of mouth and reviews, but here is the key thing you are missing...actually read through the reviews from critics and really the underlying problem is not that they don't want F4....its the opposite! They want a good F4 SOOO bad that whatever Fox produces that isn't up to their quality they hate. Now yes as a film I've said it is messed up, but as a property the only real complaint is that the movie didn't give you enough of the good stuff it showed.

IMO that is a very different take than any of those horrible movies you listed, yes at the end of the day money talks. But as fans I swear on everything I love that this is a movie worth watching if you took time to watch some of those horrible movies you listed. It leaves you wanting so much more...doesn't leave you like WTH was that on screen like some of those other movies.

First of all. JD why the hell did you go see Paul Blart 2 and Pixels? lol

As for overseas, this movie is unlikely to blow up there either. It's overseas early numbers are not that impressive. It's a miracle if it makes 200 million, IMO. I've heard reports that FOX is estimating they may lose up to 60 million dollars on this. Wolverine Origins was shit, but it moved forward with a "sequel" because it had a popular actor and made some profit. I just have a hard time seeing the top investors of 20th Century FOX green lighting a sequel, even with all the rumors of them doing it anyways. They are being told to spend their money on making a sequel to a movie that has been mauled by critics and fans, lost them 60 million dollars and was disowned by the director. I can't see a good reason why they would be so concerned about a sequel being made unless they just absolutely desperately do not want to give up a piece of that Marvel pie. Which honestly, they should not be concerned about. As long as they keep doing X-Men well, they will profit from those movies but Fantastic Four has not really made the studio money or good publicity, quite the opposite exactly. The way I'm looking at it, from a business standpoint why should they be so committed to the Fantastic Four? I think the sequel gets canned, and FOX sits on the rights for a bit to think about their next move. But they tried and failed with Fantastic Four, they'll move on eventually.

From a business standpoint you fight tooth and nail to keep the rights because your "Fox Universe" with Fantastic Four/Silver Surfer/Galactus added to what you already have with X-Men plus Deadpool is going to be 50x more profitable than just rolling with the X-Men alone. The crossover possibilities are beyond amazing if you could just give the fans the F4 they want.

The reaction to rumors of a shared universe with the X-Men and FF were negative as well. I just don't see it ending well...

Just got back from F4 and Butta is totally right... This is like the most hardcore origin story of all time. It's just so slow paced and tries to develop background and relationships that we dont necessarily need. In this day and age, where people have seen 10 different GOOD super hero movies, origin stories really aren't that important anymore. I mean, SPOILER ALERT.. They don't actually become the Fantastic Four until 10 seconds are left in the movie.

Obviously in a reboot you need to take some time to explain some things and set up the action -- but not to this extent. I didn't really have a problem with the cast at all. Doom WAS awesome, it's just too bad that the movie takes forever to get anywhere. So by the time that something ACTUALLY happens... it feels really disappointing and a big let down.

So, overall.. Even I was pretty disappointed with it. But it isn't 9% bad. That is totally the mob mentality taking over.... Oh and I am disappointed by the way FOX has handled this. Super Hero movies do best when the studios don't really get involved and force a vision. They pick people with that vision.. Josh Trank could have made this movie special.. And even though he didn't get all that he wanted, I still felt his finger prints all over this project (in a good sense).

• Upvote 1

Tbh here, leave the X-men the fuck alone, lol. They already have so many heroes, there's no need to cross them over with anything.....

Edited by Spartan Havoc

Tom Hardy is attached to a 100 Bullets adaptation (not a superhero thing, but a comic thing). Anyone know anything about the comic?

Just got back from F4 and Butta is totally right... This is like the most hardcore origin story of all time. It's just so slow paced and tries to develop background and relationships that we dont necessarily need. In this day and age, where people have seen 10 different GOOD super hero movies, origin stories really aren't that important anymore. I mean, SPOILER ALERT.. They don't actually become the Fantastic Four until 10 seconds are left in the movie.

Obviously in a reboot you need to take some time to explain some things and set up the action -- but not to this extent. I didn't really have a problem with the cast at all. Doom WAS awesome, it's just too bad that the movie takes forever to get anywhere. So by the time that something ACTUALLY happens... it feels really disappointing and a big let down.

So, overall.. Even I was pretty disappointed with it. But it isn't 9% bad. That is totally the mob mentality taking over.... Oh and I am disappointed by the way FOX has handled this. Super Hero movies do best when the studios don't really get involved and force a vision. They pick people with that vision.. Josh Trank could have made this movie special.. And even though he didn't get all that he wanted, I still felt his finger prints all over this project (in a good sense).

it's funny, that was my main complaint about the last F4 reboot, too much of the movie was spent with them not being the Fantastic Four, I haven't seen the new one yet so I can't really comment, but it is a tough balance to strike with a reboot

OK OK OK... It wasn't "the hardcore origin story" AT ALL!

I mean, not even a little bit. Everything great about origin stories, getting the powers, coming to terms with the powers, learning to use the powers, mastering the powers, was almost entirely compressed into a 1.5 second black screen that says "1 year later" and then 10 seconds after that they're fighting the bad guy and it's over. It's complete horseshit. Garbage is lucky to get 9%.

Dr. Doom was pretty cool, right up until he becomes Dr. Doom.

I'm sorry if this is spoiling for anyone, but you really shouldn't see this movie anyway. I got drug by some friends to see it again, and it is way worse going in bitter than it was going in excited for it :lol:

All that said, again, I definitely think we're going to see a sequel with a different director. It may be a while, but Marvel properties are too hot.

Edited by theMileHighGuy
  • Upvote 1

Finally got around to seeing Avengers 2. It had everything the first film had imo, but this time the Villain was way more compelling. Just a much better story than the first movie, but it had all the action. Don't get me wrong. It's not a Christopher Nolan film and it didn't have to be but I was just a lot more interested in this movie.

OK OK OK... It wasn't "the hardcore origin story" AT ALL!

I mean, not even a little bit. Everything great about origin stories, getting the powers, coming to terms with the powers, learning to use the powers, mastering the powers, was almost entirely compressed into a 1.5 second black screen that says "1 year later" and then 10 seconds after that they're fighting the bad guy and it's over. It's complete horseshit. Garbage is lucky to get 9%.

Dr. Doom was pretty cool, right up until he becomes Dr. Doom.

I'm sorry if this is spoiling for anyone, but you really shouldn't see this movie anyway. I got drug by some friends to see it again, and it is way worse going in bitter than it was going in excited for it :lol:

All that said, again, I definitely think we're going to see a sequel with a different director. It may be a while, but Marvel properties are too hot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJKvs0Q6LIg

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure what I expected.

But climbing a building wasn't it.

• Upvote 1

yet it would have blown the internet if it was Spider-Man, lol

I'm kinda tired of all the news and updates on Season 2 of The Flash. Just gonna shut it out and wait until the season starts.

I'm kinda tired of all the news and updates on Season 2 of The Flash. Just gonna shut it out and wait until the season starts.

I've been completely avoiding anything regarding it :yep:

Can't wait.

Marvel showed a clip of Captain America: Civil War at D23 today. A few tidbits, Falcon's falcon (lol) Redwing makes his debut. Also, Black Widow and Hawkeye are fighting each other, confirming they take different sides. Supposedly Widow asks if they are still friends and Hawkeye responds with "Depends on how hard you hit me."

No look at Black Panther or Spider-Man? I would never go to a Disney expo, I would feel robbed.

I'd rather see someone who I know can actually act, imagine if the Rock's first movie was Superman, because I think that's about what you'd get