Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

North Carolina Football Players Took Classes That Don’t Totally Exist

Stephen Douglas (CRM!)

If you are a prospective college athlete and you don’t want to go to classes, North Carolina might be the University for you! Take the summer of 2011 for example. According to the The News & Observer, academic advisers helped sign 18 North Carolina football players and one former player enroll in AFAM 280: Blacks in North Carolina. The class had no instruction.

That is just the beginning.

Other records show that football and basketball players made up a majority of the enrollments of nine particularly suspect classes in which the professors listed as instructors have denied involvement, and have claimed that signatures were forged on records related to them.

Well, that sounds like an awesome major.

The new information is more evidence that student athletes, particularly football players, were being steered to classes that university officials now say are evidence of academic fraud because there was little or no instruction. An internal review found 54 such classes, and said all but nine of them were taught by Julius Nyang’oro, the longtime chairman of the African and Afro-American Studies Department. In each case, students were given an assignment such as a term paper and told to turn it in at the end of the semester.

Now we just wait to see who was involved (Any members of the 2009 NCAA championship basketball team?) and just how long North Carolina student athletes have been enrolling in dummy classes. (Any members of the 2005 NCAA championship basketball team?)

[The News & Observer]

Source: TheBigLead.com

Edited by BLUE

Not a surprise. I'm willing to bet North Carolina isn't the only university to practice this. College football players, generally, are dumb as a bag of rocks and you've got to keep their GPAs up if you want them to play.

I agree that the act isn't all that surprising. But they had over 50 dummy courses!! Wow. That's a bit of an overkill. With so many fake classes, with all but a few taught by the same guy, I am wondering how it is just being figured out now.

Auburn has been doing the same thing with Sociology courses, so it really doesn't surprise me that NC is doing it. The scale is a bit ridiculous though.

Anyone that claims to be surprised by any wrong doing in big time college athletics is either living under a rock, not very bright, or just full of shit. With all of the payments, title strippings, award repossessing, bowl bans, recruiting violations, etc... this is probably the least offensive offense—aside from players selling THEIR OWN shirts—that I've heard of. I've heard that they do things like this at the University of Akron, and they're terrible. They were quite possibly the worst team in all of D1 football last year. I just expect the NCs, Auburns, Alabamas, etc. to do things like this and worse.

This has been going on at least since the 70's, my dad was a college athlete and took dummy courses