Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

David Stern, Jim Rome battle on radio

ESPN.com news services

NBA commissioner David Stern got into a heated exchange with Jim Rome Wednesday when the radio host asked him if the Hornets winning the draft lottery was fixed.

"I know that you appreciate a good conspiracy theory as much as the next guy, was the fix in for the lottery?" asked Rome, who hosts a daily show on CBS Sports Network.

"I have two answers for that," Stern said. "The simple easy one, no, the second, a statement, shame on you for asking."

Rome went on to say that he thought it was his job to ask because people wonder.

"No, it's ridiculous, but that's OK," Stern said.

Rome, who used to host the show "Jim Rome is Burning" on ESPN, said he didn't think the question was ridiculous.

Stern responded: "Have you stopped beating your wife yet?"

Since Rome has no history of spousal abuse, it appears that the commissioner was using a traditional loaded question as a tool to make his point -- that the question itself, in this case about the lottery, presumes guilt.

Rome responded: "I don't think that's fair."

After a little more back and forth, Rome said he hoped Stern wouldn't hold the question against him.

"I wouldn't hold it against you," Stern said. "You and I have been in more contentious talks than that. But it's good copy. You do these things for cheap thrills."

Rome took offense to that statement, and Stern changed his characterization.

"Cheap trick," he said. "You've been successful in making a career of it, and I keep coming on."

That prompted a flurry of exchanges:

Rome: "Making a career of it? Making a career of what? What? Cheap thrills?"

Stern: "Now you're getting mad. You're taking on the world and now Jim Rome is pouting."

Rome: "I'm not pouting, I'm taking offense."

Stern: "You want to hang up on me?"

Rome: "No, I'm seriously running out of time."

Stern: "Listen, I gotta go call somebody important like Stephen A. Smith back. He's next."

Rome: "OK, you go make that call and I'll go talk to somebody else too I guess. Have a nice day. I did not hang up on him, we are officially out of time."

Source: ESPN.com

• Upvote 1

Pretty good troll by the commish, there. Not sure I've ever heard an interview with him that hasn't been like that, though.

And I feel this is necessary.

I lol'd so hard at this.

David Stern is trollin', they hatin'. :troll:

Guest Phailadelphia

Ask stupid questions, get stupid answers (questions?).

LOLOLOL. That's hilarious.

"I've gotta go call someone important now, like Stephen A. Smith"

:rofl:

To be fair to Rome, he played it off very classily. Stern became the instigator and just made an ass of himself.

It's not a stupid question, whether people like it or not. It sure seems like teams conveniently win the lottery in certain years. It does. Go back and look. Do I think it's fixed? To an extent. Not every year, but it sure seems like the NBA throws a team a bone once in awhile. Ewing. Rose. Irving.

To be fair to Rome, he played it off very classily. Stern became the instigator and just made an ass of himself.

It's not a stupid question, whether people like it or not. It sure seems like teams conveniently win the lottery in certain years. It does. Go back and look. Do I think it's fixed? To an extent. Not every year, but it sure seems like the NBA throws a team a bone once in awhile. Ewing. Rose. Irving.

Nothing Jim Rome does is classy... That's like complimenting a chef on wrapping a dog turd in bacon...

I feel differently both ways, to be honest. I hate David Stern.. I think he's a disgusting slob of a human being. And honestly, I wouldn't really doubt that the lottery is fixed. Would not be surprising AT ALL if it was revealed tomorrow morning.

However... Jim Rome is also a Class A Douche Bag. Somewhat entertaining, but that's all he is really good for. Cheap thrills....

Hmmm, I vaguely remember someone mentioning that exact thing not so long ago. ;)

TL;DR Verson - They are both terribly annoying people, but the exchange was hilarious.

I try listening to Rome's radio show, but every time I try, it's on a commercial.

That was one of the dumbest questions I've ever heard, what was Stern going to say? Like he would actually reveal to the world the lottery was fixed on Jim Rome's show. Rome knew what he was doing and got what was coming to him.