Sign in to follow this  
butta54

2012 NBA Draft First Round

Houston had a good draft but I'm not a big Terrence Jones fan. If they took say Andrew Nicholson instead I'd be in love with their draft. But if Morey likes him then he's probably good lol. I really like White, and Lamb could be a solid 2 way player even though I was pretty unimpressed with his play this year.

I liked the Warriors draft, got Barnes (even though I think he's pretty overrated), Festus Ezeli, and Draymond Green in the 2nd. Really solid.

Also, not even trying to be a homer right now, but the Celtics draft couldn't have gone much better. They were one of the worst rebounding teams in the league last year so they grabbed a PF who could've gone top 5 last year and a 7ft 250lb beast who could just be scratching the surface of his potential. I can't wait to see these 2 guys pounding the boards and making other teams miserable.

Garnett can beast for 2 more years. I hope he signs a new deal and plays Center again so Melo can come off the bench and Sullinger can establish himself inside.

I honestly don't like what the Celtics did. A small PF with no athleticism and a bad back and a seven footer who averaged six rebounds. I think they got two guys with more name than game, but that is just me.

Not at all...Ross may come out as a monster. He is an offensive beast and with the freedom to play in Toronto with no other star he will be the go to guy from day one. Can shoot the lights out and get above the rim...watch out for him.

I don't think it was the right pick. He has the skills for sure, but he doesn't have the strength to do what he did in college at the next level. With other guys out there that would have done a much better job at the guard position and provided more immediate help, I'm rather disappointed with this pick.

I honestly don't like what the Celtics did. A small PF with no athleticism and a bad back and a seven footer who averaged six rebounds. I think they got two guys with more name than game, but that is just me.

6'9'' isn't small for a PF. That's perfectly sized. Hell, he's bigger than Thomas Robinson. Do you think he's undersized too?

Edited by BradyFan81

They took a big PF, who was a top 10 guy if it wasn't for the herniated back. I'm sure the fact that Doc played years with that back condition, gave them enough confidence to draft the guy.

6'9'' isn't small for a PF. That's perfectly sized. Hell, he's bigger than Thomas Robinson. Do you think he's undersized too?

6'9 is a typical over-exageration of height that teams like to do. He is probably 6'9 in shoes, but he is a little smaller than that. Also, Thomas Robinson is more athletic than Sullinger. I don't think either will be anything special. I see Robinson being like a 16/8 quality player and Sullinger being a role player. I see the Glen Davis comparison with Sullinger, maybe a more reliable jumper but not quite the heart Big Baby has. I'm not saying it was a horrible pick, if Sully turns out to be a decent role player, #21 is a solid spot for him, but he is no steal. A lot of scouts questioned his ability to be a lottery pick even without the back. I'm pretty unimpressed.

6'9 is a typical over-exageration of height that teams like to do. He is probably 6'9 in shoes, but he is a little smaller than that. Also, Thomas Robinson is more athletic than Sullinger. I don't think either will be anything special. I see Robinson being like a 16/8 quality player and Sullinger being a role player. I see the Glen Davis comparison with Sullinger, maybe a more reliable jumper but not quite the heart Big Baby has. I'm not saying it was a horrible pick, if Sully turns out to be a decent role player, #21 is a solid spot for him, but he is no steal. A lot of scouts questioned his ability to be a lottery pick even without the back. I'm pretty unimpressed.

Agreed for the most part...I been arguing this for awhile Sullinger and Robinson are undersized at the PF position. Depending on which shoes they wear they maybe 6'8 or 6'9 but both are truly 6'7 guys. Now I don't believe Robinson will be special, but I disagree with him being more athletic than Sullinger. One thing I watch for with big man is their ability to dunk off vertical or without taking a step. Especially these two because when you get someone with length defending you all the layups they did in college won't work. Sullinger however is really good at dunking without taking a step...his long arms and explosion allow him to go straight up and dunk which complements his big frame. Robinson almost always needs one or two steps to dunk. Now when he goes up he gets up there but if he gets a rebound under the rim or is collapsed on he won't be able to go up strong and that will hurt him. With all that being said Sullinger's post moves are years past Robinson's moves and his frame is bigger and stronger. Bad back or not he will be good if he continues to work and Celtics made two great selections

I don't think it was the right pick. He has the skills for sure, but he doesn't have the strength to do what he did in college at the next level. With other guys out there that would have done a much better job at the guard position and provided more immediate help, I'm rather disappointed with this pick.

The strength to handle the ball, shoot, and dunk? The guy brings all the tools that provide immediate help to a team? He isn't a slasher or a penetrator. He is a high quality shooter with a lot of athletic ability to finish it at the rim if need be and above all he is a playmaker with excellent passing ability and the handling to take somebody one on one complete with a pull up jumper and turn around. Players like Waiters who take it the whole don't have the strength to bring it to the next level and need to develop before bringing that style of play to the NBA not guys like Ross. I'm not sure what other guards you are referring to?

I'm pretty positive all NBA players heights are with their shoes, so pretty much everyone is 1.25 inches shorter than listed. There's plenty of successful 6'9'' PFs who aren't athletic freaks, Luis Scola, Zack Randolph, David West, Paul Millsap (much shorter than 6'9, actually). So I just don't get this knock on his size. I agree though that his lack of athleticism is a concern with him.

Sully is a great kid. He just doesnt seem to step up, I dont know what it is about him that I dont like. Maybe lack of athleticism but that's not really all it is. Maybe the sense that he doesnt give 100%? Not sure. I hope he does well in Boston.

I'm so, so about our draft. I thought we'd trade up. When that didnt happen, I figured we'd go after Barnes (I didnt want him but that's who I thought they'd hit) but instead we draft a backup from 'Cuse. A guy who really isnt big enough to play SG but that's likely where he'll play.

The Zeller kid looks like a good backup big that can run the floor but he's super skinny. I feel like he's just going to get out bodied in the NBA.

Sully is a great kid. He just doesnt seem to step up, I dont know what it is about him that I dont like. Maybe lack of athleticism but that's not really all it is. Maybe the sense that he doesnt give 100%? Not sure. I hope he does well in Boston.I'm so, so about our draft. I thought we'd trade up. When that didnt happen, I figured we'd go after Barnes (I didnt want him but that's who I thought they'd hit) but instead we draft a backup from 'Cuse. A guy who really isnt big enough to play SG but that's likely where he'll play.The Zeller kid looks like a good backup big that can run the floor but he's super skinny. I feel like he's just going to get out bodied in the NBA.

Trust me Waiters is not too small at all and he def won't be backing up

Sully is a great kid. He just doesnt seem to step up, I dont know what it is about him that I dont like. Maybe lack of athleticism but that's not really all it is. Maybe the sense that he doesnt give 100%? Not sure. I hope he does well in Boston.I'm so, so about our draft. I thought we'd trade up. When that didnt happen, I figured we'd go after Barnes (I didnt want him but that's who I thought they'd hit) but instead we draft a backup from 'Cuse. A guy who really isnt big enough to play SG but that's likely where he'll play.The Zeller kid looks like a good backup big that can run the floor but he's super skinny. I feel like he's just going to get out bodied in the NBA.

Trust me Waiters is not too small at all and he def won't be backing up

I'm pretty positive all NBA players heights are with their shoes, so pretty much everyone is 1.25 inches shorter than listed. There's plenty of successful 6'9'' PFs who aren't athletic freaks, Luis Scola, Zack Randolph, David West, Paul Millsap (much shorter than 6'9, actually). So I just don't get this knock on his size. I agree though that his lack of athleticism is a concern with him.

Honestly, a Randolph like player is the best case scneario for Sullinger. Using his big ass to move people and get rebounds. Randolph is one of the most skilled offensive bigs in the league though. I don't see him being that good, I think he'll play 15-20 minutes, grab a couple rebounds and hit a few jumpers.

Sully is a great kid. He just doesnt seem to step up, I dont know what it is about him that I dont like. Maybe lack of athleticism but that's not really all it is. Maybe the sense that he doesnt give 100%? Not sure. I hope he does well in Boston.

I'm so, so about our draft. I thought we'd trade up. When that didnt happen, I figured we'd go after Barnes (I didnt want him but that's who I thought they'd hit) but instead we draft a backup from 'Cuse. A guy who really isnt big enough to play SG but that's likely where he'll play.

The Zeller kid looks like a good backup big that can run the floor but he's super skinny. I feel like he's just going to get out bodied in the NBA.

Zeller is actually going to be a decent starter in the NBA. As for Waiters, I was quite upset with the pick. But I've warmed up to it a bit. He has a nice stroke and some are saying he was the best pure shooter in the draft.

With KG back, I'm not worried about any of our rookies not giving 100%. You either fit the Boston way or you GTFO. Wheres Jeff Green now?

The only reason Green didn't play was because they discovered a heart defect that could have ended his career. And after rehabbing and being cleared he is a free agent and the Celtics have already said they are going to go after him and try to get him back.

Guest Phailadelphia

Uncle Jeff needs to come back to OKC. :)

Agreed for the most part...I been arguing this for awhile Sullinger and Robinson are undersized at the PF position. Depending on which shoes they wear they maybe 6'8 or 6'9 but both are truly 6'7 guys. Now I don't believe Robinson will be special, but I disagree with him being more athletic than Sullinger. One thing I watch for with big man is their ability to dunk off vertical or without taking a step. Especially these two because when you get someone with length defending you all the layups they did in college won't work. Sullinger however is really good at dunking without taking a step...his long arms and explosion allow him to go straight up and dunk which complements his big frame. Robinson almost always needs one or two steps to dunk. Now when he goes up he gets up there but if he gets a rebound under the rim or is collapsed on he won't be able to go up strong and that will hurt him. With all that being said Sullinger's post moves are years past Robinson's moves and his frame is bigger and stronger. Bad back or not he will be good if he continues to work and Celtics made two great selections

How in the hell is it OK for a basketball player to be 6'7 in reality and 6'9 in shoes not to be able to dunk without steps?

Jesus Christ. That's pathetic.

How in the hell is it OK for a basketball player to be 6'7 in reality and 6'9 in shoes not to be able to dunk without steps?Jesus Christ. That's pathetic.

Agreed. I wasn't on Robinson's side in this post. I'm not sure what his deal is and that's why I never liked him as a top 5 player