Sign in to follow this  
DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

So now, KD>Howard?

Over the past 2 months, I've heard/seen countless amount of people call KD the second best player in the NBA only behind Lebron. And almost got into a car accident cause we were arguing in my friend's whip about who the better player is.

But just last season going into this season, most agreed Howard to be the second best player in the NBA behind Lebron. And many argued that he was almost as deserving as LBJ who many believed should of won the MVP over Rose (I was one of them).

So is KD a better player the Howard?

My stance on this is that Howard is still the second best player in the NBA, there's just no other player who can impact the game as much as he does that's not named Lebron. He's the better player now, but if KD keeps improving and starts being a double digit rebounder, and a better defender.

Guest Phailadelphia

After KD's great regular season and dominant postseason run? Yeah, he's better.

KD is a great defender and an amazing scorer. Howard is an amazing defender and a great scorer. I'd say that it's more of a tossup, but if I had to pick one, it'd be KD. KD is humble and will take over at the end of a game and will hit game winning shots. Howard is a prima donna who can also take over, but he's not a threat from everywhere like KD is.

From someone who doesn't really follow basketball except from a vast distance, Kevin Durant seems like quite a bit of a bigger deal than Dwight Howard does.

KD is a great defender and an amazing scorer. Howard is an amazing defender and a great scorer. I'd say that it's more of a tossup, but if I had to pick one, it'd be KD. KD is humble and will take over at the end of a game and will hit game winning shots. Howard is a prima donna who can also take over, but he's not a threat from everywhere like KD is.

This. My thoughts exactly and couldn't have said it better myself.

• Upvote 1

KD can take over a game unlike Dwight. His talent for offense is overrated. While he can give u 24 a game if he got the ball more, he cant just turn it on and say ok im carrying the team. His defense will change a game, but his offense is average. He has the moves just not the clutch gene to score when the game is on the line. Not knocking him as a player overall, hes a top 5 player still but not better then KD. KD is clutch, he carries his team by scoring in clutch needed times. Dwight doesnt. Hes more of a number 2 scorer for a team. If he were to come to LA, Kobe is gettin the ball when we need a bucket not Dwight. Dwight can still make a difference though when he has players around him like he would in Brooklyn.

Yeah, until Dwight actually puts more effort into offense, I'd take Durant. Not to mention Durant isn't a huge asshole.

KD can take over a game unlike Dwight. His talent for offense is overrated. While he can give u 24 a game if he got the ball more, he cant just turn it on and say ok im carrying the team. His defense will change a game, but his offense is average. He has the moves just not the clutch gene to score when the game is on the line. Not knocking him as a player overall, hes a top 5 player still but not better then KD. KD is clutch, he carries his team by scoring in clutch needed times. Dwight doesnt. Hes more of a number 2 scorer for a team. If he were to come to LA, Kobe is gettin the ball when we need a bucket not Dwight. Dwight can still make a difference though when he has players around him like he would in Brooklyn.

You really think KD can carry a team and take over games like Dwight? Really? No way in hell.

And what exactly does Durant being a #1 scoring option and Howard not having a great offensive game have to do with anything? Even if Howard isn't gonna consistently score 28+ ppg, Once Howard has the ball in his hands he gets doubled and opens up opportunities for his teammates. I don't care how great of a perimeter scorer you are, you aren't going to draw the kinda double teams Howard draws in the post.

Yeah, but at the same time he makes it so hack-a-dwight is a reasonable strategy at the end.

So... Because Durant is a better scorer (not even the best offensive player mind you) than Howard that means Durant>Howard?

He's a liability on the line and is not Hakeem Olajuwon on the offensive end, but he is a 22ppg scorer on over 55% FG scorer and pretty dominant against almost any post defender.

You really think KD can carry a team and take over games like Dwight? Really? No way in hell.

And what exactly does Durant being a #1 scoring option and Howard not having a great offensive game have to do with anything? Even if Howard isn't gonna consistently score 28+ ppg, Once Howard has the ball in his hands he gets doubled and opens up opportunities for his teammates. I don't care how great of a perimeter scorer you are, you aren't going to draw the kinda double teams Howard draws in the post.

Ok but to be the SECOND best player in the NBA u have to be great or near the top at both. Also have to be clutch.

BTW yes i would. KD is going to dominate the NBA for awhile. a 6-10 player fast, whos young and getting better even though hes near the top alrdy. Can hit the big buckets. Yessaah ill take him over Dwight. Now thats between them two. As for bigs in the NBA, we have two near the top. If we kept Gasol and got Dwight he wouldnt get doubled bcuz that would leave Kobe or Gasol open. Dwight is the best center all round i wont deny that. But just bcuz thats so doesnt make him the second best to me. Not over KD for that matter.

So... Because Durant is a better scorer (not even the best offensive player mind you) than Howard that means Durant>Howard?

He's a liability on the line and is not Hakeem Olajuwon on the offensive end, but he is a 22ppg scorer on over 55% FG scorer and pretty dominant against almost any post defender.

Ok i said he might give u 24 but he wont carry a team in clutch moments to make a shot or win a game on the line. KD has that advantage, and whos a better scorer then KD?

Ok but to be the SECOND best player in the NBA u have to be great or near the top at both. Also have to be clutch.

BTW yes i would. KD is going to dominate the NBA for awhile. a 6-10 player fast, whos young and getting better even though hes near the top alrdy. Can hit the big buckets. Yessaah ill take him over Dwight. Now thats between them two. As for bigs in the NBA, we have two near the top. If we kept Gasol and got Dwight he wouldnt get doubled bcuz that would leave Kobe or Gasol open. Dwight is the best center all round i wont deny that. But just bcuz thats so doesnt make him the second best to me. Not over KD for that matter.

Great or near the top at both what?

The only area in KD's game where you can say he's great at is scoring.

How many ways can a great scorer who's about average to above average in every other aspect effect a game? I can tell you right now that it doesn't come close to how much Howard can effect a game. Not even close.

And I'm not talking about down the line, I'm talking about currently.

Ok i said he might give u 24 but he wont carry a team in clutch moments to make a shot or win a game on the line. KD has that advantage, and whos a better scorer then KD?

You are right, Howard won't carry your team in the clutch by scoring like KD would, and he isn't the scorer KD is. But if that's really your argument for why KD is better, it's not a very strong one to stand on.

And nobody said KD isn't the best scorer in the league (actually I'd take Melo, but I digress), I'm not sure why it matters though?

LeBron is the only player he makes a bigger impact on the court than Dwight does. So I'd say he is the better player, but Dwight's stupidity and indecisiveness has ruined his reputation around the league. But if you have him on your roster, you automatically are a team to be reckoned with.

With that said, as a Magic fan, I hope he is traded soon because he's just become too much of a diva and we can't keep having this drama. We aren't beating Miami anyway, Otis Smith's poor moves has left us in a state of rebuilding.

Right now,I think KD is better than Howard..

Great or near the top at both what?

The only area in KD's game where you can say he's great at is scoring.

How many ways can a great scorer who's about average to above average in every other aspect effect a game? I can tell you right now that it doesn't come close to how much Howard can effect a game. Not even close.

And I'm not talking about down the line, I'm talking about currently.

You are right, Howard won't carry your team in the clutch by scoring like KD would, and he isn't the scorer KD is. But if that's really your argument for why KD is better, it's not a very strong one to stand on.

And nobody said KD isn't the best scorer in the league (actually I'd take Melo, but I digress), I'm not sure why it matters though?

Dwight is only a force on D. His offense is average. Hes more containable then KD is. KD can play D better then Dwight can play offense i tell u that now. How is that not a case to make? If u wanna be the best u have to be able to play good D, KD can, score, KDs the best in the NBA. And be clutch, KD is. Theres nothing KD cant do while Dwight cant carry a team, and isnt clutch. Those things matter to be a top 3 player. Id take Wade before Dwight. Well i would the yr before this yr. Wade looked a bit slower this yr. Doesnt mean Dwight isnt a top 5 player like i said, it just doesnt make him better then KD. If u are lacking in a area your not going to be better then KD. KD is number two, behind Lebron. The two players in the NBA that can do anything and everything. Dwights a great player i would take LBJ and KD before him though. EASILY.

Dwight being average on offense is BS. He averages 20+ ppg with great efficiency. People keep saying he isn't that good on offense because they compare him to the standards of previous great centers like Shaq and Hakeem.

Dwight is only a force on D. His offense is average. Hes more containable then KD is. KD can play D better then Dwight can play offense i tell u that now. How is that not a case to make? If u wanna be the best u have to be able to play good D, KD can, score, KDs the best in the NBA. And be clutch, KD is. Theres nothing KD cant do while Dwight cant carry a team, and isnt clutch. Those things matter to be a top 3 player. Id take Wade before Dwight. Well i would the yr before this yr. Wade looked a bit slower this yr. Doesnt mean Dwight isnt a top 5 player like i said, it just doesnt make him better then KD. If u are lacking in a area your not going to be better then KD. KD is number two, behind Lebron. The two players in the NBA that can do anything and everything. Dwights a great player i would take LBJ and KD before him though. EASILY.

That is average? Those are some awesome offensive stats for a center..

That is average? Those are some awesome offensive stats for a center..

Yes average. Hes a center, a center should have the highest % on his team, hes only 10 feet away from the basket. Not saying he needs to average 30 a game, but if he could make that basket when his team needs it, by knowing which post move to go too. Timmy is an example of elite offense. Even though he doesnt avg high points anymore. Any clutch moment, u see Timmy get that ball u KNOW hes scoring. Not the same about Dwight. Tim Duncan has all the moves in the post unlike Dwight. Thats where i mean average. Stat sheet doesnt always tell everything. KD averages around 28-30 but he can shoot, drive, score from anywhere on the floor. Thats what makes him a elite scorer. The best, also. Dwight is a force on D i give u that, but to be the 2nd best in the NBA like i said u cant been lacking in a area, or even be average in. The players at the top can do anything. Talking on individual too.

• Downvote 1

Yes average. Hes a center, a center should have the highest % on his team, hes only 10 feet away from the basket. Not saying he needs to average 30 a game, but if he could make that basket when his team needs it, by knowing which post move to go too. Timmy is an example of elite offense. Even though he doesnt avg high points anymore. Any clutch moment, u see Timmy get that ball u KNOW hes scoring. Not the same about Dwight. Tim Duncan has all the moves in the post unlike Dwight. Thats where i mean average. Stat sheet doesnt always tell everything. KD averages around 28-30 but he can shoot, drive, score from anywhere on the floor. Thats what makes him a elite scorer. The best, also. Dwight is a force on D i give u that, but to be the 2nd best in the NBA like i said u cant been lacking in a area, or even be average in. The players at the top can do anything. Talking on individual too.

This is so backwards... Like, I don't even know where to begin.

And now, Wade> Howard?

I mean really?

Good lord, what is your criteria? Who can score the most points and is more effective shooter in the clutch?

• Upvote 1

Ya, 56Ace, you're not making a damn bit of sense dude.

This is so backwards... Like, I don't even know where to begin.

And now, Wade> Howard?

I mean really?

Good lord, what is your criteria? Who can score the most points and is more effective shooter in the clutch?

When u evualute a player, u gotta include everything there is. Offense production, Defense, clutch, factor, etc. Dwight has all of those except a post game offensive to be consistent. What i mean is, yes hes big and strong but like i said look at Tim Duncan. He isnt the best PF of all time bcuz of his stats. Not just that anyways. But how he did it. His impact. Clutchiness. When Tim Duncan gets the ball in big moments, u never expect him to miss or disappoint. I dont feel that way about Howard. Carrying a team means your the best. Being the second best player in the NBA yet u dont have that impact? How is that the case then if hes #2? Thats wut im asking. His impact on defense isnt enough to get him to be a top 3 player.

Wade yeah, before last year he was a top 3 player. Behind LBJ and KD for me. Offensive game was on point, clutch ( before LBJ got there ) and his Defensive impact. He had a impact on both sides of the ball every game. Dwight offense isnt a impact. Thats what i dont get with u guys saying his offense is good. Avging 22 is good on paper. But how many of those points are from his post game, his own created shot? Sure he can score 20 throughtout the game. But if i throw the ball to dwight and expect him to make a game tying basket im not so sure about it. Get that point? If hes not the go to guy in clutch then how is he the 2nd best? Lebron proved he could carry a team of role players in Cleveland. If Lebron had all those stats and couldnt carry a team, no matter how good his stats were he wouldnt be the best player in the NBA OVERALL. Mentally, clutchiness HAS to count in this debate. Or else ur going by stats and thats wrong.

Dwight is one of the best offensive players in the league. Being able to score 20+ ppg on 55+% shooting is elite. The only things he lacks are free throw shooting and turnovers. He dominates on the offensive end most nights.

Also, clutch is a bullshit trait that people like Skip Bayless use to spout off crap. Most people consider Kobe to be the most clutch player in the game today, but his FG% in clutch situations are usually towards the bottom of the league. He just gets some flashy game winners on SC and people go nuts. Also, you do realize that there is more to being clutch than just scoring points, right? There is something called clutch defense, Dwight has saved plenty of games with his defense at the end of games, but you don't see that on SC.

Dwight vs Durant is a legit debate, but you're really just spouting off Skip Bayless-like BS to back up your points.

Dwight is one of the best offensive players in the league. Being able to score 20+ ppg on 55+% shooting is elite. The only things he lacks are free throw shooting and turnovers. He dominates on the offensive end most nights.

Also, clutch is a bullshit trait that people like Skip Bayless use to spout off crap. Most people consider Kobe to be the most clutch player in the game today, but his FG% in clutch situations are usually towards the bottom of the league. He just gets some flashy game winners on SC and people go nuts. Also, you do realize that there is more to being clutch than just scoring points, right? There is something called clutch defense, Dwight has saved plenty of games with his defense at the end of games, but you don't see that on SC.

Dwight vs Durant is a legit debate, but you're really just spouting off Skip Bayless-like BS to back up your points.

No, clutch is a valid argument in any sports debate. However Skip uses it in a different way without putting basketball knowledge into it. I play ball, im sure some of others on the board have too. If you know u have someone on ur team that u can rely to hit that GW shot or tying shot it makes the game a bit more easier and gives u more confidence as a player. Dont tell me im skip baylessing it when i clearly gave an example of Tim Duncan usage of post moves in a certain moment. Obviously its not a easy game where u just dribble and score. If that was the case then nobody would be great lol. Yes i said Dwight is a force on the Defensive end. I dont get what it is with this board. I posted many times hes a impact on the defensive end, but u here tryna tell me about defensive clutch? Its been pointed out i gave him that title of a impact defender. But that alone isnt enough to calling he among the best.

Ok, let me put it this way. Example so u see where im coming from. Me Dmac and Phil go to play ball. Im an offensive player, out of all three of us i can score the best. Im known for closing games out by hitting that clutch basket in the big moment of the game. However my D is average. I give up points more then i should.

Dmac is like dwight, he gets boards, his D is the best among us three. His offense is average. He has to be setup to score bcuz he cant make his own shot. However he locks down any player that tries to post him up and makes impactful blocks.

Phil on the other hand. If a scoring machine, can score anyway possible. His defense on man to man is lockdown. He causes turnovers on D from playing them perfectly and tight. Gives no space to get a good shot off. Can hit the big moment baskets.

Now say milla has to choose his teammate. He knows all this assesments by playing ball with each of us before. Who is he going to choose overall? From whos a best standpoint. I know id pick Phil bcuz hes elite on both sides. He can hit that tough shot. Im lookin at this thru a basketball point of view. Not sportscenter. Those idiots try to put labels on a sports game to make it "simple". Dwights a great player but like i said i dont see how i could put him over KD. Hes above Wade now, Wade falling slowly.

Edited by 56AceInDaPlace