Sign in to follow this  
butta54

Is their anymore doubt against Silva?

After his win against Sonnen, Anderson "The Spider" Silva has taken down opponent after opponent to remain the middleweight champion and has saw little dispute from anyone in the light-heavyweight division. One of the few man in his class that was thought to be able to dethrone him was taken down in round 2 this past weekend. With that win is their anymore doubt that he is the greatest professional fighter in the world right now?

He's managed to stand the test of time and still on top. Great fighter indeed. I dont think there is any question about that.

There was no doubt in my mind he was the greatest in the world, even before this past fight. He fought Sonnen with a broken rib(s?) and still found a way to win. I think the ribs affected his ability to sprawl and hold Sonnen in his guard, like he was able to do in the second fight.

I've never questioned his ability and skill as the best fighter in the world. What I do think was learned in these last two fights is that he can still be motivated and pushed to show us his legendary fighting ability.

Edited by KiLaSix9

In the middleweight division ? Now I think his reign is going to be pretty much until he wants to give up.

However a few things worry me about him and I see him hitting a wall soon. Anyone remember Matt Hughes (personal favorite of mine) ? He was known for having a granite chin earlier in his career but man when forty came knocking on the door things were just not right he was getting rocked by jabs and things like that. Then Dana tossed him so no name fights and he won making people think he was on the comeback trail and then gets rocked again by a nothing shot.

What I saw in the first fight was a guy who was not known for his knockout power (Sonnen) rock him with some nothing shots. Now whether that was an abberation or a sign I dont know but it is troubling if you are a Silva fan and paid attention.

The Good news is though there is really nobody in that division that has one punch knockout power except for hendo but I am not sure which division he is going to make his own and Silva has already won that one so who knows.

Now is he the best fighter in the UFC. I dont think so. I think Jon Jones has that title personally.

In the middleweight division ? Now I think his reign is going to be pretty much until he wants to give up.

However a few things worry me about him and I see him hitting a wall soon. Anyone remember Matt Hughes (personal favorite of mine) ? He was known for having a granite chin earlier in his career but man when forty came knocking on the door things were just not right he was getting rocked by jabs and things like that. Then Dana tossed him so no name fights and he won making people think he was on the comeback trail and then gets rocked again by a nothing shot.

What I saw in the first fight was a guy who was not known for his knockout power (Sonnen) rock him with some nothing shots. Now whether that was an abberation or a sign I dont know but it is troubling if you are a Silva fan and paid attention.

The Good news is though there is really nobody in that division that has one punch knockout power except for hendo but I am not sure which division he is going to make his own and Silva has already won that one so who knows.

Now is he the best fighter in the UFC. I dont think so. I think Jon Jones has that title personally.

Jon Jones is my favorite fighter but no way is he at Silvas level yet. I think he gets there, soon but what Silva has done is nothing short of greatness. He has fought fighters with knockout power; Hendo and Belfort. Hes fought some of the best BJJ fighters in the sport (at their times); Maia and Lutter.

The only other fighters that have had that kind of success in two different weight classes, as far as beating big names were Randy and Hendo.

I'm sure his time will come, when his body just cant do the same things but for right now, the man is in a league of his own.

Jon Jones is my favorite fighter but no way is he at Silvas level yet. I think he gets there, soon but what Silva has done is nothing short of greatness. He has fought fighters with knockout power; Hendo and Belfort. Hes fought some of the best BJJ fighters in the sport (at their times); Maia and Lutter.

The only other fighters that have had that kind of success in two different weight classes, as far as beating big names were Randy and Hendo.

I'm sure his time will come, when his body just cant do the same things but for right now, the man is in a league of his own.

I disagree there. I think Jones just wrapped up one of the most amazing years a fighter has ever had. He has faced all kind and his resume as far as opponents I think is better than Silva's.

I mean Rampage, Rashad, Vera, Machida, Bader, Shogun is extremely impressive considering his age.

Silva: Marquardt, Cote, Griffin, Okami, Leites, Franklin, and Belfort.

I mean that does not really equate as far as opponents.

I think the middleweight division is pretty weak other than Anderson. Not saying he isnt great and I think he would still dominate with good competition. Whereas light heaveyweight is probably the most stacked division in the UFC.

And they both dominated all those guys. I think in stirking they are pretty close to equal because both of them are long and rangy and pull off some crazy shit from striking. I would give wrestling to jones as well. I would give submissions to anderson. Ground and pound to Jones, and accuracy a SLIGHT edge to the spider.

I mean I think they are both equal in talents the only thing is JOnes is on his way UP and we havent even seen the best Jon Jones we are going to see.

I disagree there. I think Jones just wrapped up one of the most amazing years a fighter has ever had. He has faced all kind and his resume as far as opponents I think is better than Silva's.

I mean Rampage, Rashad, Vera, Machida, Bader, Shogun is extremely impressive considering his age.

Silva: Marquardt, Cote, Griffin, Okami, Leites, Franklin, and Belfort.

I mean that does not really equate as far as opponents.

I think the middleweight division is pretty weak other than Anderson. Not saying he isnt great and I think he would still dominate with good competition. Whereas light heaveyweight is probably the most stacked division in the UFC.

And they both dominated all those guys. I think in stirking they are pretty close to equal because both of them are long and rangy and pull off some crazy shit from striking. I would give wrestling to jones as well. I would give submissions to anderson. Ground and pound to Jones, and accuracy a SLIGHT edge to the spider.

I mean I think they are both equal in talents the only thing is JOnes is on his way UP and we havent even seen the best Jon Jones we are going to see.

I think your underestimating Silva's opponents a bit. Out of all the opponents hes faced, the only one I'd say was a weak opponent was Leites. And it showed in the fight, what an embarrassment. But we have to remember he DESTROYED Rich Franklin, TWICE, when Rich Franklin was the man at the middleweight division and had dominated everyone he faced. Thunder Okami started dominating everyone he faced, got to Silva and looked like a chump.

I love what Jones has done in his young career. The sky is the limit for the kid and he only gets better in every fight. He's found a way to overcome every style hes faced thus far and find an advantage but again, Silva hasn't even made most of his competitors look like they were on his level. He's only been tested twice in my memory and that was against Sonnen and Hendo.

I think your underestimating Silva's opponents a bit. Out of all the opponents hes faced, the only one I'd say was a weak opponent was Leites. And it showed in the fight, what an embarrassment. But we have to remember he DESTROYED Rich Franklin, TWICE, when Rich Franklin was the man at the middleweight division and had dominated everyone he faced. Thunder Okami started dominating everyone he faced, got to Silva and looked like a chump.

I love what Jones has done in his young career. The sky is the limit for the kid and he only gets better in every fight. He's found a way to overcome every style hes faced thus far and find an advantage but again, Silva hasn't even made most of his competitors look like they were on his level. He's only been tested twice in my memory and that was against Sonnen and Hendo.

This may be true but like I said, I just think that division is overall pretty weak. And you are right about the timing of the Rich Franklin fight, at that time he was the man. And Belfort is STILL an extremely accomplished and dangerous striker. But outside of that I never took any of those cats seriously as serious threats to top talent. I really do think that is the weakest division in the game though.

This may be true but like I said, I just think that division is overall pretty weak. And you are right about the timing of the Rich Franklin fight, at that time he was the man. And Belfort is STILL an extremely accomplished and dangerous striker. But outside of that I never took any of those cats seriously as serious threats to top talent. I really do think that is the weakest division in the game though.

Is it the weakest division in the sport? Absolutely. Has been for a while. So I agree that in that regard in does make his dominance seem much bigger than it might be. In contrast, Jones fights in what could be argued to be the most talented division in the sport.

Is it the weakest division in the sport? Absolutely. Has been for a while. So I agree that in that regard in does make his dominance seem much bigger than it might be. In contrast, Jones fights in what could be argued to be the most talented division in the sport.

Yeah that is why I have to take Jones I mean to dominate the guys he has dominated is just ridiculous. And in regards to Anderson I have the utmost respect for his fighting abilities, I just wish there were more guys to bring out his best. He came off as an asshole clowning people in the ring knowing he was just toying with them. I mean it is great that you are that talented but man you dont have to make yourself look like an ass.

he walked into the first Sonnen fight thinking that and got taken to school. Then he got serious and we saw the gamer in Anderson.

AS to the middleweight division ti is the weakest now, but I am starting to see the welterweight division shrink as well. There just arent any fighters in that division that scream contender to me. And I cant stand GSP either. As a person he is a great guy but as a fighter I cant stand him. but outside of him Jon Fitch and Koscheck were the only guys that were considered bad dudes but lately they have been exposed.

I still think GSP is better, but we might find out for real some day.

I still think GSP is better, but we might find out for real some day.

Actually we will find out sooner than later.

Superfight between Silva and GSP in the works. Looks like it might take place in Cowboys Stadium.

I'll definitely be watching that one.

Man that fight is going to piss me off to no end. I have said for a long time and still do that GSP will win. I dont think it is because he is better than Anderson per say, but I do think that GSP will be the best wrestler Silva has ever faced by far and that includes sonnen. The guy was going to the olympics for wrestling before MMA called and still wrestles with that competition to stay sharp. WE ahve seen waht great wrestlers can do to Silva with those long legs, this time the difference is that GSP is so much more explosive. That and he has some serious dick riders in the refs outfit so even if he is not staying busy on the ground they will let it go.

I think it will be a typical GSP fight where he just sticks to his game plan and wins the rounds and does not bother with finishing the fight.

With all that said he got knocked out by Matt Serra so this could definitely happen I just see GSP being cagey knowing the spider is the better striker and stay on the outside until he shoots.

As a fighter, I can't deny he's got an amazing gift. As a person, he's a first-rate loser who doesn't deserve the talent he has. His past antics and displays of blatant disrespect towards some fighters makes me hope he leaves the sport seeing a few stars.

If he wants a challenge, then he should keep moving up in class. He'll eventually find someone who can kick his ass. Otherwise, he shouldn't disgrace himself and the sport by mocking people who have to work a little harder at being talented. Half the sport is about respect, and he doesn't have any.

Ha, if he hot dogs it against GSP he'll get merked. Might get merkerd anyway as it is.

You guys actually think GSP has this one in the bank, huh? GSP has never faced a striker of Silva's caliber. Let's not forget the fact Silva is a black belt in BJJ and has finished guys off his back in the past. Also, the first time he fought Sonnen he had messed up ribs (don't know if it was broken, cracked or w.e but 2 or 3 of them were bad) which is why I believe Sonnen was able to take him down and keep him down so easily. Look at the rematch. Silva owned him.

Not in the bank, but I am picking GSP to win if the fight happens. While GSP has never faced a striker like Silva, Silva hasn't faced an overall fighter the caliber of GSP, either. That's why this fight is so big. GSP isn't afraid to strike with a striker, either. He is a very good boxer, evdient by the fact that he basically jabbed his way to a win against Koscheck. There's no way he'll try to strike with Silva; this is gonna be a grappling match. I think the two match up really well though and I can't wait to watch it.

Wont say in the bag however he has historically struggled against elite wrestlers like Hendo, Leites, and Sonnen and none of them are on the mark GSP is so I can only assume that is going to be GSP's gameplan and after seeing him fight after fight stick to a gameplan than I can only imagine GSP is going to take him down and play a smart ground game for the rounds.

That and I dont think Andersons conditioning is on the lvel of GSP and GSP is notorious for pushing the pace and making opponents work on the ground.

If MMA is truly a matter of styles than this is a bad matchup for anderson but an entertaining one no doubt.

Wont say in the bag however he has historically struggled against elite wrestlers like Hendo, Leites, and Sonnen and none of them are on the mark GSP is so I can only assume that is going to be GSP's gameplan and after seeing him fight after fight stick to a gameplan than I can only imagine GSP is going to take him down and play a smart ground game for the rounds.

That and I dont think Andersons conditioning is on the lvel of GSP and GSP is notorious for pushing the pace and making opponents work on the ground.

If MMA is truly a matter of styles than this is a bad matchup for anderson but an entertaining one no doubt.

Dude, Leites didn't do a thing against Silva. That was one of the most embarrassing fights I've seen. Leites is a BJJ ace too, not a wrestler, maybe your thinking of another fight.

Hendo is a greco-roman Olympic level wrestler so I'd say GSP in on that same level, not above it. If he was able to defeat Hendo...

You're right about the styles. Sometimes a guy is just got enough to beat another guy based on a particular skill set. They both bring stylistic advantages against one another. I guess we will see who can capitalize.

I certainly don't believe it would be a walk in the park for either of them, especially since...haven't they trained together in the past? I think GSP is the far more well rounded of the two, but Spider's specialty skills are just fucking elite. I'd be disappointed if either one came away with an easy win.

Dude, Leites didn't do a thing against Silva. That was one of the most embarrassing fights I've seen. Leites is a BJJ ace too, not a wrestler, maybe your thinking of another fight.

Hendo is a greco-roman Olympic level wrestler so I'd say GSP in on that same level, not above it. If he was able to defeat Hendo...

You're right about the styles. Sometimes a guy is just got enough to beat another guy based on a particular skill set. They both bring stylistic advantages against one another. I guess we will see who can capitalize.

Ok you sir are correct on that leites fight. Good catch. I cant remember which one it is.

AS to hendo he was that level 10 years ago. GSP is now.

As to the styles the question becomes is GSP as far behind as a striker as Anderson is a wrestler. and to me that is a resounding no which is why I give the edge to GSP.

I think another thing about this fight that a lot of people will forget until right up to the fight is how much weight GSP is going to have to cut. Hardly any. Normally he cuts to make the weigh in, at middleweight he may not have to cut any at all and walk in feeling a lot better than normal. And considering his physique he may be meuch stronger than he is normally in the later rounds. Anderson on the other hand does not bring an impressive physique and 185 might be close to his actual weight anyway so what you see with him is what you get. GSP might have an edge here too.