Key Training camp Battles:

#2 WR - Earl Bennett vs. Alshon Jeffery vs. Devin Hester

LT - J'Marcus Webb vs. Chris Williams

LE - Israel Idonije vs. Shea McClellin

NT - Matt Toeaina vs. Stephen Paea

#2 CB - Tim Jennings vs. Kelvin Hayden

SS - Major Wright vs. Craig Steltz vs. Brandon Hardin

Questions:

What can we expect from Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall combo this year?

How will the offensive line fare?

Who will play DE on the other side of Julius Peppers?

:Packers:

TC schedule:

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/training-camp/practice-schedule.html

Key position battles:

Starks Vs. Green

Wide receiver battle

Perry vs. other OLBs

Worthy vs. other DEs

The DBs

Questions:

How will the defensive side of the ball look with all the new additions, and moves?

How will the Scott Wells-for-Jeff Saturday swap impact the offense?

How will that secondary look?

:Vikings:

TC schedule:

http://www.vikings.com/schedule/training-camp/2012/camp-schedule.html

Key position battles:

Third Down RB - Jordan Todman / Derrick Coleman / Lex Hillard

3rd WR off the bench (assume Harvin/Simpson 1 & 2) - Michael Jenkins / Greg Childs / Devin Aromashodu / Stephen Burton / Jarius Wright

FB or HB - Rhett Ellison / Jerome Felton / Ryan D'Imperio / Matt Asiata

Starting RG - Brandon Fusco / Geoff Schwartz / Joe Berger

Starting NT - Letroy Guion / Fred Evans

Third LB - Everson Griffen / Jasper Brinkley *(does Griffen at OLB move Erin Henderson to MLB?)*

Starting RCB - Josh Robinson / Chris Carr / Zach Bowman

Two Starting Safetys - Harrison Smith / Mistral Raymond / Jamarca Sanford / Robert Blanton / Brandon Burton

Questions:

Will Adrian Peterson be his old self again?

Is Christian Ponder really the answer at QB?

Will the secondary improve?

:Lions:

TC camp schedule:

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2012/07/detroit_lions_announce_its_tra.html

Key position battles:

Best Vs. Leshoure

Reiff Vs. Backus/ Gosder

Corey William Vs. Fairley Vs. SLH

Entire DB unit :redface:

Questions:

How will the players handle offseason arrests, etc?

Will Stafford stay healthy and more consistent?

What will the defensive back unit look like?

News go here... And... DISCUS!!!

:Bears:

Brandon Marshall insists he's the most focused he's ever been in his NFL career entering his debut season with the Bears.

"I'm focused ... (the) most focused I've ever been in my professional career," said Marshall. "Very excited, but at the same time, ready to get the job done." Marshall made it through a full offseason without a negative off-field situation for the first time in quite a while. He's also the healthiest he's been since his rookie year. We love him as a WR2 in fantasy leagues this season.

Johnny Knox (back surgery) opened Bears camp on the active/PUP list.

Knox will assuredly stay on PUP into the regular season, disqualifying him for the first six games. We'd be a bit surprised if he played at all this year.

Via Zaidman...

Mike Tice says J'Marcus Webb and Chris Williams will split first team reps 50/50.

Via Biggs...

#Bears WR coach Darryl Drake says 2nd rd pick Alshon Jeffery has made real progress since spring. “His ability to catch, he does a great job of getting in and out of his breaks for his size. As he learns to use his body & body up people and do those things, he’s only going to get better. But I do like his ability to catch the football & his ability to run routes. He’s gotten so much better, even with the short OTA & the short minicamp, you still see improvement he’s made since Day 1.”

Offensive tackle Derek Sherrod (broken leg) and tight end Andrew Quarless (ACL) failed their pre-training camp physicals Wednesday, while McCarthy said fullback John Kuhn (MCL) also hasn’t been cleared and may have failed.

http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/mccarthy-sherrod-quarless-fail-physicals-green-kuhn-still-on-the-mend

tom silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein

Woodson working at safety in individual drills right now. He and Burnett are together.

Rob Demovsky ‏@RobDemovsky

Tramon Williams hitting the sled hard. Sure doesn't look like his shoulder is a problem.

PeteDougherty:

Packers injury list for practice has one addition from yesterday, DL Anthony Hargrove (reason unknown)

Taylor at LT m Datko RT today as baxkups, flip flopped from yesterday.

RobDemovsky:

Woodson at safety for the second straight day in base. So far, this doesn't look situational. Looks full-time. His days outside may be over.

Jarrett Bush still playing ahead of Sam Shields at CB.

Still not a fan of Woodson at safety even though it's only in base defense. I prefer him up on the LoS and creating havoc. Shields needs to man up and learn to tackle as I prefer him on the outside over Bush.

Tyler Dunne

First padded practice in the book for the #Packers. Here are some quick thoughts. Another solid practice for Casey Hayward. Rookie showing some early instincts, not afraid to make a play. ....Shields had another shaky practice and isn't in the team's dime package. ...Sharp day for Aaron Rodgers, which isn't a big surprise. Worked the perimeter well with Jordy Nelson and James Jones. ...Marshall Newhouse held up well at left tackle. Can't recall him allowing a serious pressure ...D.J. Williams continues to catch everything thrown to him. ...Undrafted OL Mike McCabe carted off with hip injury.

Tom Silverstein

It was a somewhat dubious start to padded practices for the #Packers. Drops, poor coverage blown assignments. After practice coach Mike McCarthy acknowledged it was not a great day. Among those with drops were Randall Cobb (two), Donald Driver, Jordy Nelson. CB Sam Shields had a horrible day, getting burned three times and getting pulled out of the dime in favor of Casey Hayward and Davon House. The one thing that went well was Capers' blitzes. The timing was excellent and there was pressure.

Jason Wilde - If he doesn't get an extension before the season, #Packers WR Greg Jennings (@GregJennings) may put an end to negotiations. “What I told my agent is, ‘I don’t want to hear about anything unless we’re getting serious. Don’t call me about every little detail. I don’t want to hear about it.’ He knows as well as the Packers know, ‘Look guys, if you don’t get it done before (the end of) training camp, I’m not being a distraction to this team.’ I will not be selfish.”

:Vikings:

MANKATO, Minn. (AP) - The Minnesota Vikings have placed running back Adrian Peterson on the active physically unable to perform list to start training camp.

The move was expected, considering the team's preference to be cautious with its franchise player and his comeback from reconstructive surgery on his left knee. Peterson can come off the PUP list at any time, but he can't take part in drills with the team until then. He still counts against the 90-man roster.

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Petersons-Starts-Camp-On-The-PUP-List/8b715538-bd70-44d7-b3fa-c5efc1b6e3cd

Christian Ponder, Joe Webb and Sage Rosenfels took turns throwing the ball during extensive 11-on-11 and 7-on-7 drills. Ponder, by my count, completed 13-16 passes, including four to Kyle Rudolph. Webb struggled with his accuracy, missing on his first six throws. Rosenfels was very sharp.

http://www.kfan.com/pages/vikingsblog.html?article=10303097#ixzz21vKQ8lfa

:Lions:

ALLEN PARK -- Detroit Lions left tackle Jeff Backus and running back Mikel Leshoure sustained injuries on the second day of training camp.

Backus left practice with an injured thumb, while Leshoure sustained a hamstring injury.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2012/07/detroit_lions_jeff_backus_hurt.html

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

I will also have TC photos later. :yep:

Been in Chicago for the last few days with limited internet... Ready to rock, now.

It pisses me off that Sam isn't having a good camp so far. He has so much potential. But I am not surprised that DJ Williams is raping the shit out of practice... He did the same thing last year. Finley better bring his A-Game this season.

Student and sensei.

AzDpgpuCMAA3wHQ.jpg

Olineman on the JUGS machine... lol

AzDp9LfCAAA37cs.jpg

Not my pictures, BTW. Wish I could go to camp.

I know a lot of Packer fans who are disappointed with Sam, hoping he'll bounce back from last year.

I've read that today he played the nickle and he was much better. I've also read that Casey Hayward has been outstanding in the nickle.

Ya, we drafted Heyward to be the next Charles Woodson... Complete ball hawk, amazing football IQ, great vision, etc etc.

Really excited for his future.

Unheralded fourth-round pick Mike Daniels, a 6-foot and 294-pound ball of fire from Iowa, has worked his way into the mix. On Monday, the energetic Daniels jumped into the No. 1 dime, a package that defensive coordinator Dom Capers is planning to use more this season.

It’s been a rapid ascent for a guy who missed the rookie orientation camp, all of the organized team activities and the mandatory minicamp while recovering from surgery in January to repair a torn labrum in his right shoulder.

Like Worthy, Daniels has brought a dose of energy to practice. Though he’s soft-spoken off the field, he has played with an exuberance not seen among Packers’ defenders of late.

:rock:

Good luck to anyone who has the unenviable task of taking on right tackle Bryan Bulaga in the one-on-one drills.

He’s been perfect in five reps in the drill so far in two days of padded practices.

Last year, Bulaga only got beat twice in 28 attempts... If only he didn't have short arms.

Chicago Bears receiver Alshon Jeffrey:

The Chicago Sun-Times reports the big-bodied rookie is "catching everything in sight" and "looking like he's done this before." If that continues, he should wind up being a bigger part of the offense than Devin Hester.

Loved this pick when the Bears made it. I think Jeffrey is going to be a stud.

We've been so distracted, however, that we might have missed what the Packers consider the biggest revelation in their secondary during training camp. Third-year safety Morgan Burnett has emerged as a cornerstone of the defense, one who could splash onto the national scene if his development continues at its current pace.

ESPN

Not surprised at all. He looked absolutely fantastic last year before he broke his thumb. Can't wait for football season!

Out of curiosity, are the Pakcers expending their stadium? I saw a bunch of steel beams and columns on what looked like their stadium during the live feed on NFL Net...

Ya, 6k new seats.. New scoreboards and sound system. A couple of new entrances, and a viewing deck for club ticket holders on the roof.. Gonna be swag, man.

Cornerback Davon House worked with the first-team defense for the second consecutive day. Again, lots of changes could still be on the horizon. But the longer House remains in the spot without incident, as he did Wednesday, the greater the chance he becomes the favorite to enter the season in that role.

Early-camp reports on the tight coverage of rookie Casey Hayward are legitimate. We don't yet know what kind of tackler he is or if he can handle the nuances of coverage adjustments, but he clearly knows how to play a receiver 1-on-1. Wednesday, he maintained tight coverage on receiver Tori Gurley and deftly reached around him to tip a pass away. Keep in mind that Hayward is 5-foot-11 and Gurley is 6-foot-4.

Not good for Mr. Sam Shields. That is putting him at 4th corner WITHOUT taking into consideration Woodson or Jarrett Bush.

Wow Sam Shields is dropping big time, that's crazy. I'm really excited about House and Hayward now. There has been so much talk about the defense in TC that it's overshadowing everything else. I really want to see the o-line play. If Newhouse improves, the o-line could be one of the better pass protection lines in the league.

Maybe it's not SHields dropping so much as the rest of the secondary improving.

Shields gon' get cut.

I hope not. I still really like the kid. And Razor is right... These other guys are just stepping up big time. Obviously a lot of camp left though. I hope Sam makes the team.

Shields was no better than average last year. He couldn't tackle for shit and his coverage was either decent or blown. That can be said for the entire defense but still. I doubt he makes the team unless he improves drastically before week 3 of preseason.

Edit- No but you guys are right the rest of the secondary are stepping up big. But that's all the more reason why Shields doesn't appear to be part of the puzzle.

Edited by badgers

Really like Shields so I am hoping that he can start to pick it up over the next few days, very excited on hearing how well Devon House and Casey Hayward are doing though House especially. Also read that Randell Cobb has been amazing so far in camp and sounds like he may already have the Slot position locked down.

I love Starks but looking forward to seeing what Alex Green can do now that he is healthy.

3 things:

Packers extend P Masthay

Packers signed P Tim Masthay to a four-year, $5.465 million contract extension.

Masthay was set to earn $540,000 in 2012, the final year of his contract. Instead, he's locked up through 2016 and gets a $1.2 million signing bonus. Last year, Masthay ranked just 22nd in net punt average (38.6 yards) and 17th in punt average (45.6 yards).

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter Aug 3 - 10:30 AM

Not a huge thing but I love it. The last decent punter we had got cut so it's nice to have somebody who doesn't punt it to the crowd.

Starks struggles early in training camp

James Starks is off to a very slow start at Packers camp.

Veteran beat writer Bob McGinn ripped into the starting running back following Thursday's practice. "Starks hasn't made strides as a pass blocker or ball carrier," McGinn wrote. "He just doesn't carry himself like a reliable, top-flight player." McGinn goes on to say that Alex Green, whose reps have been limited as he comes off knee surgery, has been the more dynamic runner. Starks did impress coaches in the offseason, so we're not jumping ship just yet.

Related: Alex Green

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel Aug 3 - 9:46 AM

He always was our worse blocker out of RBs, so he needs to improve and it looks like he isn't. Second it's not like we need a guy to be able to run the ball for big yards all the time. All we need is a big runner who can smash into the front lines for a few when we need it. That's Starks but I'm still concerned about injuries.

Packers first team OL is set

Jeff Saturday is taking every first-team rep at center, as expected.

The Packers are set at all five positions along their offensive line. Saturday brings veteran leadership to a unit that returns its four other starters. On paper, it's perhaps the best offensive line in the entire league.

Source: ESPN.com Aug 3 - 10:27 AM

On paper, it's perhaps the best offensive line in the entire league.

On paper, it's perhaps the best offensive line in the entire league.

It's been a long while since anybody has said that about us haha. Let's see if they can be the best offensive line on the field.