Sign in to follow this  
BC

Tight ends in the top 18?

Assuming this is somewhat standard formats  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Would you go for either Jimmy Graham or Rob Gronkowski in the high second round?

• Yes
    • No

A little suprised seeing how high these tight ends have gone.

well, last year in ESPN standard leagues, Gronk (with 238 points) was sixth among RBs, WRs, and TEs in points and second among WRs and TEs, Graham (with 187 points) ranked 12th among RBs, WRs, and TEs and sixth among WRs and TEs, the next TE (Aaron Hernandez with 127) was 50th among RBs, WRs, and TEs and 24th among WRs and TEs, so as much as I hate taking a TE early (and I usually consider the fourth/fifth early for a TE) there's actually a decent argument for taking one of the two in the second

Edited by oochymp

I usually go for Vernon Davis or Antonio Gates in fourth/fifth but I'm not against taking two top TEs in the second..I'd rather get a great WR in the second..

I would personally rather have a RB, WR or QB in second round. You can always pick up guys like Hernandez, Vernon Davis etc in later rounds.

I would personally rather have a RB, WR or QB in second round. You can always pick up guys like Hernandez, Vernon Davis etc in later rounds.

that's all well and good, but last year in ESPN standard leagues Gronk, with 233 points, outscored Hernandez (127) and Davis (105) combined, oh, and Hernandez and Davis were the 3d and 8th ranked TEs respectively, you won't find that kind of disparity anywhere else

Edited by oochymp

The thing is I'm not sure Gronk will produce the TD #s people will want this year. 10? Maybe, yeah. 17? Hell nah. He had 10 his rookie season and still was drafted in the 9th round on average last year.

The thing is I'm not sure Gronk will produce the TD #s people will want this year. 10? Maybe, yeah. 17? Hell nah. He had 10 his rookie season and still was drafted in the 9th round on average last year.

he also only had 546 yards his rookie year, a fair bit short of his 1327 last season, even if he does drop to 10-12 tds he'll still be the top TE if he's anywhere near his yardage number from last year

I've placed in the top 2 of my pay league (16 guys) and will categorically state that I would not go for a TE in the 1st. I don't care what their stats state at the end of the year, I wouldn't want to risk them not performing like that again. I'd prefer to take my risks on the waver wire.

In hindsight they were definetely worth it. Two of the leagues most valuable players IMO, I wanted to take Graham 8th overall almost.

I was the last one to take a TE in one of my leagues and ended up with Fred David and Brandon Pettigrew. I'd rather end up with those two and say a Jordy Nelson or (Insert Awesome RB or WR here) over a Graham/Gronk and a less than stellar combination of RBs and WRs