Sign in to follow this  
NYGIANTSFLYHIGH

Witten could miss Opener....

Source: ESPN

The Dallas Cowboys have had a lot of injuries so far in training camp, but to this point none have been especially worrisome or significant. That changed Wednesday morning with the news that tight end Jason Witten suffered an internal injury in Monday night's preseason game against the Raiders and could miss the remainder of the preseason. Since the Cowboys' first regular-season game is three weeks from tonight against the Giants, it's obviously fair to wonder whether he's in danger of missing that as well. Per Todd Archer:

Witten suffered an internal injury after taking a hit from Raiders linebacker Rolando McClain in the first quarter, according to multiple sources. He missed a few plays but returned and caught one more pass before the first-team offense called it a night.

Witten said he was OK after the game, but Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones admitted some concern when he saw the seven-time Pro Bowler leave the contest.

While the Cowboys are hopeful Witten will be available to play against the Giants, the star tight end had more tests conducted Tuesday and will be evaluated further.

This news first broke on The Dan Patrick Show, whose producer Paul Pabst tweeted Wednesday morning sources were telling them the injury was to Witten's spleen, that it was possible he could need surgery and there was internal bleeding involved. So it obviously sounds serious, and the Cowboys' first concern will and should be for Witten's health. There's no way they'll bring him back into a football game until they're 100 percent sure he can't be more seriously injured.

In the meantime, Todd writes, they're looking into signing another tight end and will use John Phillips as the starter. The Cowboys lost tight end Martellus Bennett to the Giants in free agency and have not replaced him. Rookie James Hanna looked good catching the ball in Monday's game, but he's likely not ready for full-time NFL duty at this point.

Witten is as important a passing-game weapon as the Cowboys have, and losing him for any significant period of time would be potentially devastating to the offense. The offensive line is already a wreck, receiver Miles Austin is already sidelined with a hamstring injury and they're trying to find a No. 3 wide receiver from among an unproven and somewhat uninspiring group of candidates. If Witten can't play, Tony Romo loses one of his few reliable pass-catchers and blockers. The Cowboys' strength on offense is in the quality of their skill-position players, and they cannot afford to lose any of them if they hope to contend in a treacherous-looking NFC East race.

Jason Witten is a big piece to the puzzle in Dallas. They could be in trouble if he misses any significant time. He's unquestionably the most reliable target Tony Romo has and it's well known the two of them have a strong report.

Jason Witten is a big piece to the puzzle in Dallas. They could be in trouble if he misses any significant time. He's unquestionably the most reliable target Tony Romo has and it's well known the two of them have a strong report.

Mix in the fact that they dont have a #3 WR locked in to a spot yet, Miles Austin not taking a single snap in camp yet, Dez being in and out with little injuries, and a suspect OL at best and it could be a recipe for a rocky start in Big D.

Massive Massive blow if he has to miss the giants game, I guess this James Hanna is going to see alot more playing time then expected.

Massive Massive blow if he has to miss the giants game, I guess this James Hanna is going to see alot more playing time then expected.

wouldnt John Phillips get the nod, he has some experience at least, I know hes a little banged up now but should be back for this weekends game no?

wouldnt John Phillips get the nod, he has some experience at least, I know hes a little banged up now but should be back for this weekends game no?

he completely flew over my head... I'ma blame that the fact i'm tired as the reasoning behind forgetting him... My only problem with Phillips is that he is more of a blocking TE then a receiving tight end, where as if the comentator is correct Hanna is an out and out receiving TE

Taking away Romo's favorite safety valve is an absolute major blow to the Cowboys offense. Hopefully he can be ready for week one.

I think Andre Holmes is going to get the #3 spot, looked decent in game #1 and has good size 6'4"

From the Dallas twitter: The Dallas Cowboys waived/injured guard Bill Nagy today and signed free agent tight end Harry Flaherty out of Princeton....

He's Jason Garrett’s nephew apparently

Not everyone who goes to Princeton is related...

I'm pretty sure about that. Never know with super white people.

Anyway, the Cowboys are screwed, I hope they like going 6-10.

Not everyone who goes to Princeton is related...

I'm pretty sure about that. Never know with super white people.

Anyway, the Cowboys are screwed, I hope they like going 6-10.

I do generally think they are related :p

In the press release from the Cowboys site it says

"Head coach Jason Garrett’s nephew, a fellow Princeton graduate, is now a tight end for the Dallas Cowboys."

This is a huge blow for Dallas. Witten is Romo's most reliable & consistent target. He's also a factor in the run game where he is underrated at. Dallas is really going to need ppl to step up having to find a 3rd WR and a reliable tight end. Having 2 play makers at WR isn't enough these days. Teams are using their 3 and 4th WR to beat teams with good corner backs.

Per Rotoworld.com:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that Jason Witten will avoid surgery on his lacerated spleen, and is "questionable" to play in Week 1 against the Giants.

It's great news for Dallas, although we're still touch-and-go when it comes to Witten's fantasy outlook. He's been essentially sitting on his couch since the August 13 injury, unable to exercise, and it's unclear when Witten will regain clearance to do so. We'll be sure to keep you updated on Witten's status leading into the September 5 matchup with New York. As of this moment, we'd advise against drafting Witten as your fantasy starting tight end. Aug 22 - 3:05 PM

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Though he's avoided surgery on his lacerated spleen, ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that Jason Witten is "more likely" to return in Week 2 than play in the Cowboys' season opener against the Giants.

The Cowboys play Seattle in Week 2. Giants-Cowboys is the NFL opener on Wednesday, September 5, which lessens Witten's recovery time ahead of the first game. Witten's absence would be a big blow to Dallas' chances in the division matchup. He's critical as an edge blocker against Justin Tuck and Jason Pierre-Paul, and has historically given the Giants all kinds of problems as a receiver. John Phillips and James Hanna figure to share the position in the meantime. We'd continue to balk at drafting Witten to be our fantasy TE1. Aug 22 - 4:45 PM

Source: ESPN.com

Jason Witten - TE - Cowboys

Aug 23 - 5:16 PM

The Cowboys reportedly view Jason Witten (lacerated spleen) as "50-50" for the season opener.

Fox Sports South's Matt Mosley "wouldn't bet" on seeing Witten versus the Giants even with the Cowboys' relative optimism. ESPN's Adam Schefter had previously reported that Witten is "more likely" to return in Week 2. It's worth noting that Witten hasn't missed a game since 2003.

Source: Matt Mosley on Twitter

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football-player-news

He has been a real iron man I like the guy, but with these if it is not healed by surgery it just takes as long as it takes, which sucks because a timetable is not always true.