Sign in to follow this  
Dutch

Larry Fitzgerald almost an Eagle

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000064817/article/larry-fitzgerald-of-cardinals-i-was-almost-a-philadelphia-eagle?module=HP11_headline_stack

Larry Fitzgerald: "I was almost an Eagle."

Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald told CSNPhilly.com on Friday that the Philadelphia Eagles offered the Cardinals a first- and a third-round draft choice for him in 2008.

The story doesn't say what kept the trade from happening, and does not include a comment from anyone in the Eagles' organization.

Jeremiah: Six matchups to watch

Week 3 features many marquee matchups. Daniel Jeremiah has the lowdown on Brady-Reed, Norv-Nolan, etc. More ...

According to the report, the perennial All-Pro, drafted third overall by the Cardinals in 2004 out of Pittsburgh, was a strain on the team's salary cap at the time. He was due to make $14.6 million in 2008 and $17.3 million in 2009.

But then he signed a new four-year deal reportedly worth $40 million -- with a no-trade clause -- in March 2008 (he signed an eight-year, $120 million extension in 2011).

As for the Eagles, they were notoriously weak at the wide receiver position in the mid-2000s. Terrell Owens helped them get to a Super Bowl in the 2004 season, but he soon was gone, leaving the team with the likes of Reggie Brown, Kevin Curtis and Greg Lewis by 2007.

The trade for Fitzgerald drastically would have altered the NFL landscape -- particularly during the 2008 season, which wound up with the Cardinals defeating the Eagles in the NFC Championship Game, 32-25, behind 152 yards and three touchdowns from Fitzgerald.

The two teams -- both 2-0 this season -- meet again in Arizona on Sunday.

This topic doesn't bare any importance but man... if this trade would have gone down, I would have shit my pants and been an EXTREMELY happy man.

Edited by dutchff7

a 1st and 3rd for Fitz would have been a hell of a deal. This could have put a lombardi in the eagles trophy case.

Wish our front office could have gotten him. If we still managed to get McCoy in the draft the next year we'd be looking at a very nasty offense right now. Maclin is good but lets face it. Fitzgerald is on another level. He'd make Jackson look good. idk if we beat Pittsburgh in the Super Bowl in '08 but we certainly would have had a shot every year if we had him.

Damn... This definitely would have changed things up a bit. I am pretty confident we would have a ring by now if this trade had gone through. :'(

Receivers don't get you Super Bowls. Do they help? Sure, but having Fitzgerald wouldn't have fixed the Eagles' inconsistent playcalling and defense and you'd still have had McNabb/Vick at QB.

My question is why Larry thinks this is important to share... Maybe he is regretting his extension with the Cardinals, already.

Damn... This definitely would have changed things up a bit. I am pretty confident we would have a ring by now if this trade had gone through. :'(

Just knowing that this was almost a possibility pains me... Larry is one of my top 5 players of all time... Kinda wish I didn't know lol.

Receivers don't get you Super Bowls. Do they help? Sure, but having Fitzgerald wouldn't have fixed the Eagles' inconsistent playcalling and defense and you'd still have had McNabb/Vick at QB.

Jim Johnson was still alive in 2008 and we made it to the superbowl with McNabb and T.O. McNabb and Larry could have put up the same if not better production then T.O minus the drama.

My question is why Larry thinks this is important to share... Maybe he is regretting his extension with the Cardinals, already.

Yeah, I was thinking the same. How can you help but not think that with what he's went through at the QB position.

Edited by dutchff7

Fitzgerald actually told the media that the first time back when he signed his extension. You know whats great about Fizgerald? Everything. I have no doubt that if he was an Eagle in 2008 they would have been in a better position to win that superbowl. He's good at everything. He's not the deep threat that the Eagles love to have on the field, but he's the complete package.

You know what really makes me admire and look at the guy like "Damn, that is an incredible guy" - the fact that NO MATTER WHAT his team is doing on the field, he's always behind his team. He stays behind them in even the worst of years. It's amazing. You don't see that much too often anymore.

• Upvote 1

Fitzgerald isn't a FAST deep threat but he can definitely still beat you deep.

Jim Johnson was still alive in 2008 and we made it to the superbowl with McNabb and T.O. McNabb and Larry could have put up the same if not better production then T.O minus the drama.

Their defense was top 5 in 2008, but fell off considerably after that. And making the Super Bowl in 2004 means nothing for your team in 2008+. By that logic, The Steelers should be winning the Super Bowl every year seeing as they won in 2005 with Hines Ward, Antwaan Randle El, and Cedrick Wilson and they now have Antonio Brown, Mike Wallace, and Emmanuel Sanders.

Edited by Zack_of_Steel

Their defense was top 5 in 2008, but fell off considerably after that. And making the Super Bowl in 2004 means nothing for your team in 2008+. By that logic, The Steelers should be winning the Super Bowl every year seeing as they won in 2005 with Hines Ward, Antwaan Randle El, and Cedrick Wilson and they now have Antonio Brown, Mike Wallace, and Emmanuel Sanders.

Well, I don't see how you make a comment about our defense when it was top 5 in 2008 which was the the SAME year we would have acquired Larry Fitzgerald which also happens to be the same year the Cardinals kicked us out the NFC championship game to go to the superbowl. If Larry wasn't a Cardinal, they would have never made it. Can't say what would have happened ofcourse but I can only imagine we would have been considerably better then we were.

The first that year was Jeremy Maclin. The 3rd was traded for more picks, and I think one of those picks was traded for more picks. One of you Philly fans should track it down and see what all players it would have cost you to do this trade.