Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

L.A. City Council approves downtown stadium

Posted by Mike Florio on September 28, 2012, 4:26 PM EDT

Even though a “For Sale” has been placed in front of the AEG headquarters, a new sign can now be stuck in the ground near Staples Center.

“Team Wanted.”

AEG spokesman Michael Roth tells PFT that the L.A. City Council approved all eight measures relating to the construction of Farmers Field, the proposed NFL stadium that already has a naming-rights deal.

This means that the process will now move forward, with a window opening for the filing and complete resolution of any lawsuits challenging the project. By March 2013, the case(s) will be over and, presumably, the venue will be shovel ready.

The only thing left will be attracting a team. Or two.

The leading candidate is the Chargers. Other possibilities include the Raiders and the Bills. Some say that the Jaguars are still a candidate, but that seems to be a long shot at best.

Source: ProFootballTalk

If the Bills go they need a name change. Los Angeles is a west coast city that needs a west-coast sounding team name. Lakers, Kings, Clippers, Dodgers, Chargers, Raiders....Bills?

(I know the Lakers name originates from Minnesota days).

Hope nobody goes though but if it has to be somebody move a California team to LA so that divisions don't get screwed up at all.

What are the chances LA gets one of the Florida teams?

I figure the Jags with their new owner probably won't be looking to move but what about Tampa?

i know they have Attendence Related Issues and Im sure the Glazers are all about Maximizing their Profit

Miami is second last in attendance above Cincinnati, but they won't move. Too much history, and it's a big market. Tampa has slightly better attendance than Miami, 4th worst, compared to 2nd worst. But not as much history and a smaller market than Miami. It's possible. But I've heard nothing once about the Bucs moving. Plus they have a newer stadium and teams always move because of stadium issues.

San Diego has the bad attendance, black outs, and the stadium issues. Plus they're originally from Los Angeles. It's looking like they'll be the poor team taken away so football can fail in L.A. again. :nonono:

They've always talked about taking two teams though, so who knows. It's such a bad idea though, L.A. just isn't a football city. Hoops and baseball, always.

Yea, pretty sure the Bucs can't move out of Tampa until 2026 cause of some stadium lease.

God damn it. Really? Just how many teams does one state need? L.A. has already lost how many teams? Two? Three? Sure, why not give them another one so they can lose that too rather than give a team to a state that actually deserves one, and might be able to actually keep it there? But no. Spoiled Cailfornia needs ANOTHER team.

If you ask me every state should have a two team limit. one AFC, and one NFC. At the very least they should force an existing California team to move. I understand California is huge and has alot of people, but there has to be a point where you put your foot down and tell them "NO! You can't have ANOTHER team! You can't even properly run the ones you already HAVE!"

What's next? An all-California division? Why not? Let's just dividide all the teams between New York, Texas, and California. they're the only states that matter right? So fuck everyone else! Yeah... If you can't tell I'm kinda pissed about this. Maybe I should have posted this in the rant board.

I just don't see why they give a team to a city that's already failed MULTIPLE TIMES instead of trying someplace new.

If you want another team in the West, send one up here to Oregon. Everyone I know up here would love a team of our own. Hell, try Idaho. they're huge for college ball, I'm sure they'd love a pro team! But no... it's not putting a new team in the West. It's about the NFL being stupid and gullable enough to believe there's still money in giving L.A. a team, even though it's been proven over and over again they don't deserve one. so go ahead and give them ANOTHER team. In a few years when they leave AGAIN we'll just say "I Told You So".

I love the concept design(s) released some time ago for Farmers Field. Looks SWEEEET, IMO, even if the name is absolutely horrid for a West Coast squad.

Yea, pretty sure the Bucs can't move out of Tampa until 2026 cause of some stadium lease.

Yeah I think Jacksonville's lasts to that same exact year too. Like I said though, teams only move due to stadium issues, Bucs and Jags will stay, the Jags are even adding on to the stadium, so that's not really the sign of an owner trying high tail it out of there.

Jayrus, if it helps, the Chargers are the most likely team to move to L.A. so technically California will not be getting another team, they'll merely be moving one north about an hour and a half (used to live in San Diego myself.)

I mean, I know you want a team in Oregon (actually lived in Portland myself too lol) but if you're a Seahawks fan what would you do? Immediately dump the Seahawks and root for the new team? Or would your allegiance be strong and you wouldn't even root for the new team in your area?

None of us really want another team in L.A. regardless, but I don't see the reasons for you getting so angry is all. :shrug:

I love the concept design(s) released some time ago for Farmers Field. Looks SWEEEET, IMO, even if the name is absolutely horrid for a West Coast squad.

Yeah the concept pictures look sick, especially with it being right next to Staples Center.

What about St. Louis? They used to be in Los Angeles and don't they have some stadium issues as well or something like that? Plus you don't have to worry re-aligning divisions to make sense like if say a Buffalo got moved there.

I'd be fine with Oakland or San Diego also. I know Buffalo could be liable (their lease is up after next season) but I do not want to see this city without a football team...

Getting a team there is going to be a shitty investment. Not only will they struggle to get a big enough fan base to make a team want to stay, but they make anyone who does business in L.A. pay out the ass in taxes.