Sign in to follow this  
Glanvilles Grits

What's wrong with Calvin?

Why is Calvin Johnson doing so terrible this year? Is it the play-calling? Is it Matt Stafford? Is it the opposing defenses keying in on him? He simply hasn't been having a very good season at all. I just don't get it. The last two seasons he's been the best in the league, now he looks like a complete chump. What's the deal?

Edited by BayAreaBomber

He's averaging right under 100 yards per game, but just isn't getting the TDs. Dunno if that qualifies as a "chump"... :shrug:

Stafford is sucking so he's not getting as many chances to dominate. Even on an off year he's still playing like the 11th best (approx) receiver in football, so he's not been terrible, just not up to the excellence we've come to expect from him.

Madden Curse.

• Upvote 1

He's getting bracketed on the outside, and has at least two guys on him virtually all game.

And while most offenses tend to counter that type of stuff by moving their best receiver around, we just leave him out their till the 4th qtr.

And nobody else on this team seem to be able to catch the ball, separate, + Stafford's inconsistencies.

He had two guys on him all season last year too. He's averaging near 100 yards per game, but there are a lot of times where he's just invisible and he hasn't been getting open. At least from what I've seen. Was it this way last season and Stafford was just throwing it up to him or what?

This is more Stafford sucking than it is Johnson being blanketed...because he's always been.

Matthew Stafford said the extra defensive attention Calvin Johnson is getting in the red zone is causing him to look elsewhere.

Johnson has just one touchdown this season after posting 16 a year ago. Defenses have adjusted to the Lions' passing game by blitzing less and doubling Calvin even more. "A lot of teams are doing a good job keeping him out of the end zone," Stafford said. "We get inside the 10 and they clamp down and send the safeties. ... We just have to hurt teams in other ways (in the red zone). Guys have to step up and make plays, including myself." Still, we wouldn't sell low on Megatron. He's more than capable of beating double teams at any time.

Source: Detroit News

I just find that hard to grasp. To me it seems like if Calvin were getting that much attention, then Stafford would be able to get the ball elsewhere, but that really hasn't been the case. Stafford should still have great numbers with his other receivers usually drawing man-man.

Calvin Johnson has been tackled at the one-yard line four separate times this season.

He was also dragged down at the two-yard line on Sunday. The seeming statistical improbability is one of the main reasons he has just one touchdown after finding the end zone 16 times in 2011. It's the only discernible difference between his two campaigns, as he's still on pace for 96 catches and 1,534 yards despite the perception that he's having a down year. It's hard to believe Megatron's touchdown rate won't pick up in the second half.

Source: DetroitLions.com

I thought his 7 receptions and 129 yards was pretty good on Sunday. The touchdowns will come. He is the best WR in the NFL its only a matter of time.