Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Thunder trade James Harden to the Rockets

There are very few players who deserve the max, but plenty of players that get the max. Ibaka will probably be one of those players. Shot blockers don't fall from the sky.

Guest Phailadelphia

There are very few players who deserve the max, but plenty of players that get the max. Ibaka will probably be one of those players. Shot blockers don't fall from the sky.

Agreed. We can discuss who is truly deserving of a max contract but that's a different topic. In today's NBA, Ibaka is a max player if he reaches free agency. He currently has a skillset that not a single other play in the league possesses and an apparently nonexistent ceiling.

I'm a homer because I say he's a max player? Fuck outta here. If Roy fucking Hibbert is a max player, then Serge Ibaka is a max player. I guarantee you 9 out of 10 GMs would take him over Hibbert.

Edit: Still think the Lakers are favorites to beat OKC? I've played in pick-up games with more offensive flow than those guys play with.

Hibbert wasnt worthy of the max, i even said that. How can someone who is only consistent on defense and not offense be a max player? Hes not a star, hell not even top 5 at his position. I like Ibaka dont get me wrong, but to call him a max player is insane. And just because teams would pay a max on him in free agency doesnt, make him worthy of it. Teams make stupid signings all the time.

As of right now, no but down the road in the season when they gel together yes. Mike Brown is only holding em back. Game experience with eachother will take some time of course. But once they do, itll be beautiful lol.

Hibbert wasnt worthy of the max, i even said that. How can someone who is only consistent on defense and not offense be a max player? Hes not a star, hell not even top 5 at his position. I like Ibaka dont get me wrong, but to call him a max player is insane. And just because teams would pay a max on him in free agency doesnt, make him worthy of it. Teams make stupid signings all the time.

As of right now, no but down the road in the season when they gel together yes. Mike Brown is only holding em back. Game experience with eachother will take some time of course. But once they do, itll be beautiful lol.

Insisting that players aren't worth a max contract doesn't make it so. The market is dictated by what teams are willing to pay. If Hibbert, Joe Johnson, et cetera are being paid max contracts, then betters players around the league are also worth max contracts.

If the majority of people started paying $20 for loaves of bread to ensure that they'd have bread to eat, then bread becomes worth $20 and that's what stores will charge. You can say, "fuck that, bread's not worth $20", but you'll be wrong because there are a lot of people out there paying $20 for bread.

Insisting that players aren't worth a max contract doesn't make it so. The market is dictated by what teams are willing to pay. If Hibbert, Joe Johnson, et cetera are being paid max contracts, then betters players around the league are also worth max contracts.

If the majority of people started paying $20 for loaves of bread to ensure that they'd have bread to eat, then bread becomes worth $20 and that's what stores will charge. You can say, "fuck that, bread's not worth $20", but you'll be wrong because there are a lot of people out there paying $20 for bread.

Of course i can say its not worth 20 dollars becuase bread has always been between 1.50 - 3 bucks. Price guaging like a MFer. We say the samething about gas dont we? Just because the market signs the players doesnt make them worthy. It just means teams dish out make money then they should. If an below average offensive player who is pretty good at rebounding and very good on defense worth the max to you, then i say your much overpaying for a player who is below the standard of a max contract. BTW if bread ever did become that much i wouldnt buy bread ever again. Lol

Edited by 56AceInDaPlace

I guess Brook Lopez worthy of the max too. Im sorry i cant pay a average or above average player STAR money. In sports the price of a player has gone up too high. I guess thats what sperates good franchise from bad ones. Ibaka being worth that proves the big men in the NBA has died. Big time.

I think its more that the max creates an artificial price ceiling. If LeBron wanted a max deal last time he was a free agent he would've made about 16 million per year. But if it was a true free market (no cap, nothing to help hometown teams, etc) he probably would've made something like 30 million, maybe more (assuming his only goal was to get paid). The reason there are max players that are so much worse than the top players is because the top players are being paid far less than they're worth, not the other way around.

I think its more that the max creates an artificial price ceiling. If LeBron wanted a max deal last time he was a free agent he would've made about 16 million per year. But if it was a true free market (no cap, nothing to help hometown teams, etc) he probably would've made something like 30 million, maybe more (assuming his only goal was to get paid). The reason there are max players that are so much worse than the top players is because the top players are being paid far less than they're worth, not the other way around.

I don't disagree, but it's a bit of both, IMO. You have the absolute top echalon of players who are taking a "pay cut" by taking the max.. But you also have players not nearly on that level making more than they would otherwise.