Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Thunder trade James Harden to the Rockets

The Oklahoma City Thunder have traded James Harden to the Houston Rockets after they were unable to agree to a contract extension with the star guard, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

The Rockets sent Kevin Martin, Jeremy Lamb and future draft considerations to the Thunder for Harden, sources told Y! Sports. Along with Harden, the Thunder will send Cole Aldrich, Lazar Hayward and Daequan Cook to the Rockets.

Houston also sent two 2013 first-round picks (from Dallas and Toronto) to Oklahoma City, sources told Y! Sports, as well as a 2013 second-round pick (via Charlotte). The Thunder will receive the Toronto pick this year if it's slotted Nos. 4-14. That pick also is top-three protected in 2014, top-two protected in 2015 and top-one protected in 2016.

Contract extension talks between the Thunder and Harden broke down, and Thunder general manger Sam Presti moved quickly to trade the guard. Harden rejected a four-year offer that would have paid him a base salary of $53 million to $54 million, league sources said. That offer would have pushed OKC's payroll to $95 million, and Thunder officials weren't willing to go any higher. The 2012-13 salary cap is set at just over $58 million, and the luxury tax kicks in at $70.3 million, while a four-year max deal is worth $60 million.

The Thunder are already paying franchise stars Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook on maximum contracts. The trade breaks up OKC's young core, which carried the franchise into last season's NBA Finals. The Thunder agreed to a four-year contract extension worth about $50 million with forward Serge Ibaka after the season.

Houston hasn't been allowed to discuss a contract extension with Harden's agent Rob Pelinka yet, but will start immediately once the deal is officially completed. Houston can choose to give Harden a four or five-year maximum contract extension.

The Rockets are expected to make a max offer of four or five years before Wednesday's deadline for the class of 2009 extensions, sources said. Harden is expected to come to terms and never see restricted free agency in the summer of 2013.

Harden, 23, averaged 16.8 points, 4.1 rebounds and 3.7 assists last season and was named the league's Sixth Man of the Year.

Martin is happy to be headed to the Thunder.

"Oh my gosh!" he told Y! Sports' Marc Spears. "Feels like a dream. Sometimes words can't describe it."

Source: Yahoo.com

Edited by BLUE

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

Houston sends two 2013 first-round picks (from Dallas and Toronto) to Oklahoma CIty, source tells Y!

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

Houston also sends a 2013 second-round pick (via Charlotte) to Thunder.

https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA

Fucking greedy jackass. Not a fan of Martin, but maybe Lamb won't suck. Fucking lame.

Why would he accept less than the max when he was obviously going to be offered the max by someone?

OKC obviously didn't want to pay him the max after the deals Durant/Westbrook got. This should allow them to keep Ibaka, but if Lamb doesn't pan out, they are kind of screwed.

Y

Why would he accept less than the max when he was obviously going to be offered the max by someone?

OKC obviously didn't want to pay him the max after the deals Durant/Westbrook got. This should allow them to keep Ibaka, but if Lamb doesn't pan out, they are kind of screwed.

To win? He gave up a chance at a potential dynasty for $2million/year over 4 years. Greedy, imo. Take the cut and go win some fucking titles instead of playing for just money. I hope he sucks in Houston.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Guest Phailadelphia

I've never been upset over a trade in any sports but this legitimately pisses me off. I've always disliked Kevin Martin the player and now I have to see him come off the bench and be reminded Harden is gone every time he enters the game? Fuck, man.

The only possible bright sides imaginable: Jeremy Lamb turns out to be a badass, or Presti uses his now THREE 2013 1st-rd picks plus Martin's expiring contract to pick up a big name player (like Dwight) before the deadline. Any other scenario and it's a flop.

Edited by Phailadelphia

Y

To win? He gave up a chance at a potential dynasty for $2million/year over 4 years. Greedy, imo. Take the cut and go win some fucking titles instead of playing for just money. I hope he sucks in Houston.

He is in his early 20s, he has plenty of time to win. He wants the most money he can get and I can't blame him. He isn't going to sign an extension a year before FA for less than what he'd obviously get, it makes no sense.

Besides, you're off complaining about Harden, but the Thunder are the ones who decided they'd rather dump him now than try and see if they can just keep him next offseason. He will be a RFA so they could've matched any offers.

Guest Phailadelphia

They couldn't afford to sign Harden to a max contract. Period. It would put OKC too far into the luxury tax. The owners must have indicated to Presti that they did not want to pay the tax. Thus...this.

They couldn't afford to sign Harden to a max contract. Period. It would put OKC too far into the luxury tax. The owners must have indicated to Presti that they did not want to pay the tax. Thus...this.

This is obviously why it happened. The Thunder aren't the Lakers who are just willing to spend as much money as it takes, there has to be a limit somewhere. This is was a big reason for the lockout, many owners are tired of teams like the Lakers going way over the luxury tax and they find it hard to keep up. Now, you can say they should just shut up and spend if they want to win, but they are running a business and they have to be able to profit off it too. Looking at the NBA right now, I feel like the lockout accomplished nothing. We lost a few weeks of basketball for no reason.

I know Harden was being a bitch here, but Jeremy Lamb will be an all-star if developed and coached properly. Martin is a mixed bag, idk if he can. Don't think this is a bad deal for either team, IMO

Interesting, people seem to like it for OKC. I actually hate it for them. Harden was so friggin good for them last year except for the Finals lol.

I don't get why they didn't just amnesty Perkins who they gave like 35 million to.

And I've been on Harden's side of this contract dispute after reading Bill Simmons column a few weeks ago. http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8486795/the-harden-dilemma You'd have a tough time selling to me that OKC seriously can't afford to pay him an extra 6 million. They're one of the most popular sports teams in the world, they should have the money.

I don't see OKC beating Miami or LA this year, maybe not even San Antonio.

Edited by BradyFan81

Yeah I'm with Simmons on this. You can't move a team to a market and then complain that the market is too small to afford players. If OKC isn't capable of supporting a team enough*, maube you shouldve stay in Seattle.

*i don't think this is the case. Just what the Thunder have implied.

Guest Phailadelphia

Yeah I'm with Simmons on this. You can't move a team to a market and then complain that the market is too small to afford players. If OKC isn't capable of supporting a team enough*, maube you shouldve stay in Seattle.

*i don't think this is the case. Just what the Thunder have implied.

How could you possibly infer all this from the trade of Harden?

LMAO at ANYONE who is mad at Harden after this deal. Players taking less money to play for a great team is a RARITY. Please name other players who, even BEFORE THEIR PRIME, take less cash to play for an amazing team.

If Harden was like 32 or so and chasing a title, maybe... But the guy hasn't even hit his prime yet and you want to call him greedy for wanting a max contract that other teams are willing to give him?

LMAO. Bitter and spoiled Thunder fans for the fucking loss.

• Upvote 2

Maybe this is Rockets loyalty coming through on my part, but I LOVE this deal for OKC. Not only do they get a proven scorer in Martin, a player who can drop 30 on any given night, they get a promising young guard in Jeremy Lamb. Combine that with the draft picks and the fact that Harden wanted a max and this really is the best OKC could have come out on the deal. The Thunder will be a better team because of this, even if it's not noticeable right away. Martin will thrive coming off the bench, and if Lamb can give them that second bench scorer they need so desperately, this team will improve.

How could you possibly infer all this from the trade of Harden?

Because this trade wasn't made because of basketball. It was made because the Thunder didn't want to pay.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/sports/2012/10/28/thunder-cites-finances-in-trading-harden.html

If your trade centers around the idea that the 12th pick in the draft is going to be good, you're going to have some regrets. Looking at the last 10 number 12 draft picks, there have been 0 all stars. Does anyone think Harden wasn't primed for an all-star level season this year? And don't try to sell me on Kevin Martin. He's a good player, but he's a downgrade from Harden, and his contract is up after this year. So basically after this year you'll have Jeremy Lamb and a possibly good draft pick from Toronto ( can't say I know how good that'll be though). On the other hand, this trade will probably cost them a real shot at the championship this year, which isn't an opportunity that comes around too often.

So like I said, why didn't the Thunder want to pay Harden even though its a better basketball decision? They "can't afford" it, and people are going to say how they're a small market team and thats just the way it is if you're in a small market. Writers have brought up the fact that the Thunder's tv contract doesn't pay enough. I just don't see why I should give them the benefit of the doubt about them not having a big enough TV deal when they made a conscious decision to leave the 14th biggest media market in the US for the 45th.

Because this trade wasn't made because of basketball. It was made because the Thunder didn't want to pay.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/sports/2012/10/28/thunder-cites-finances-in-trading-harden.html

If your trade centers around the idea that the 12th pick in the draft is going to be good, you're going to have some regrets. Looking at the last 10 number 12 draft picks, there have been 0 all stars. Does anyone think Harden wasn't primed for an all-star level season this year? And don't try to sell me on Kevin Martin. He's a good player, but he's a downgrade from Harden, and his contract is up after this year. So basically after this year you'll have Jeremy Lamb and a possibly good draft pick from Toronto ( can't say I know how good that'll be though). On the other hand, this trade will probably cost them a real shot at the championship this year, which isn't an opportunity that comes around too often.

So like I said, why didn't the Thunder want to pay Harden even though its a better basketball decision? They "can't afford" it, and people are going to say how they're a small market team and thats just the way it is if you're in a small market. Writers have brought up the fact that the Thunder's tv contract doesn't pay enough. I just don't see why I should give them the benefit of the doubt about them not having a big enough TV deal when they made a conscious decision to leave the 14th biggest media market in the US for the 45th.

How many max contracts do you expect them to hand out? lol Most teams have to be smart with their money, there is only a few who spend the luxury tax like no tommorrow.

Guest Phailadelphia

Prior to this new CBA they would have paid Harden without a second thought. With these new luxury tax penalties, paying Harden the max was impossible. Has nothing to do with them being a small market. there are maybe 2 teams that can afford to go that deep into the luxury tax--LA and NY.

Prior to this new CBA they would have paid Harden without a second thought. With these new luxury tax penalties, paying Harden the max was impossible. Has nothing to do with them being a small market. there are maybe 2 teams that can afford to go that deep into the luxury tax--LA and NY.

Really?

Bill Simmons ‏@sportsguy33 OKC has everyone thinking they're a mom & pop store, meanwhile they made 30-35 million profit last year + could sell team for $550m easy.

Oh my god they might not turn a profit if they resigned Harden!!!

Edited by BradyFan81

Guest Phailadelphia

Really?

Oh my god they might not turn a profit if they resigned Harden!!!

If Harden was signed to a max contract they'd have $70 million committed to only five players, which is exactly what the salary cap will be starting in 2013. Add in the other 9 players on the roster and then factor in the insane luxury tax penalty for exceeding the cap and yeah, the organization would be incurring a huge loss.

Edited by Phailadelphia

Guest Phailadelphia

LMAO at ANYONE who is mad at Harden after this deal. Players taking less money to play for a great team is a RARITY. Please name other players who, even BEFORE THEIR PRIME, take less cash to play for an amazing team.

If Harden was like 32 or so and chasing a title, maybe... But the guy hasn't even hit his prime yet and you want to call him greedy for wanting a max contract that other teams are willing to give him?

LMAO. Bitter and spoiled Thunder fans for the fucking loss.

Considering Harden spent the offseason preaching "sacrifice" to be a part of "something special," I think OKC fans have plenty of reason to be upset. If he wasn't genuinely interested in sacrificing a relatively small part of his salary to win rings, he shouldn't have pretended to be.

• Upvote 1

The Thunder offered him a lot less than they could've. They wanted him to take a 20% pay cut. Thats not a relatively small part of his salary. Thats a lot of it.

• Upvote 1

Guest Phailadelphia

He was offered $55.5 million out of a $60 million max contract. How is that a 20% pay cut?

Edited by Phailadelphia

If the Thunder were willing to go less than 5 million short of max... Why not just go max. What is with that 5 million that they absolutely couldn't under any circumstances adjust too?