housemd

NBA 2012 Regular Season Thread

Well... haven't beat the Spurs on the road in nearly 3 years.

• Upvote 1

Avery Johnson... Come to Phoenix, man! Please!

Lakers end 2012 winning six of their last seven. Looked good tonight against a crap Portland team.

Rockets fans should be very encouraged about their future.

In other news... Tony Parker is THE man. Tim Duncan continues to amaze me with his incredible resurgence. Kawhi is the biggest difference maker for the spurs this year. His presence changes the dynamic of the spurs entirely.

Edited by The Admiral

Rockets fans should be very encouraged about their future.

In other news... Tony Parker is THE man. Tim Duncan continues to amaze me with his incredible resurgence. Kawhi is the biggest difference maker for the spurs this year. His presence changes the dynamic of the spurs entirely.

I feel like Leonard and Parsons are two of the most overlooked 3s in the game. Barely anybody knows who good they are. I think Parsons has the edge right now, but there's no reason to believe Leonard can't catch him and may even surpass him.

Got a flop warning or fine coming for Nick Collison after this game. He's already flopped three times this half. Wow.

What the hell Westbrook where's you wild shots?

Cavs have reportedly had discussions for both Gasols, Aldridge and Love. Would LOVE to get LOVE or Aldridge. Pau Gasol is old, his brother wouldn't be too bad though.

Jesus Christ. Giving up nearly 70 points in back-to-back games at the half.

That's unacceptable.

It's like the Thunder can't miss, and the defense isn't that bad, either, but I'll tell you what's wrong--McHale's playing the wrong people. If I see Cole Aldrich get one more minute of NBA action ahead of Greg Smith, I'm going to flip shit. This is how Detroit fans must feel about Andre not starting, but in this case it's about a player who belongs in the D-Leage. Also, I saw both Morris and Harden get mauled at the rim with no call near the end of the half. Jesus. We're at home. We should be getting these free throws, for fuck's sake.

There is no consistency in the officiating in the NBA, at all, and it's absurd. I just want to see fair, unbiased whistle blowers on the floor. Why is it so difficult to find even one?

Taking an obvious charge =/= flopping, lmao. Want to see some flopping? Pay attention to Harden for a game.

Flagrant foul on Maynor? LOL.

Guest Phailadelphia

Honestly, I don't think I've ever seen Nick Collison flop, including tonight. Don't think he's that kind of player.

It's like the Thunder can't miss, and the defense isn't that bad, either,

Were we watching the same game? Houston doesn't play any kind of defense period. So much easy dribble drive penetration all night.

Edited by Phailadelphia
  • Upvote 1

Taking an obvious charge =/= flopping, lmao. Want to see some flopping? Pay attention to Harden for a game.

Flagrant foul on Maynor? LOL.

I haven't seen Harden draw a charge all year. I just watched Tony Parker play. I learned all I needed to a bout flopping.

I haven't seen Harden draw a charge all year. I just watched Tony Parker play. I learned all I needed to a bout flopping.

Collison is known for drawing charges and it should be no surprise that he's accustomed to Harden's game and tendencies (driving hard and praying for a foul much like Westbrook, only with a ton of flailing around like Manu).

Guest Phailadelphia

Collison is known for drawing charges and it should be no surprise that he's accustomed to Harden's game and tendencies (driving hard and praying for a foul much like Westbrook, only with a ton of flailing around like Manu).

I love watching Harden try to eurostep KD. Those two were notorious for playing 1v1 against each other before Harden was traded away yet Harden tries his signature move in a game against KD anyway? He knows all your moves, especially that one!! Harden tried it in the first meeting and got blocked by KD then too.

I love watching Harden try to eurostep KD. Those two were notorious for playing 1v1 against each other before Harden was traded away yet Harden tries his signature move in a game against KD anyway? He knows all your moves, especially that one!! Harden tried it in the first meeting and got blocked by KD then too.

Yeah, I lol'd at that pretty hard. Feels good to see Harden shoot so terribly against the Thunder in both matchups thus far.

@ both Zack and Phail, how are your feelings toward Harden for not taking a significant pay cut to stay there?

Houston isn't a championship contender or anything, but they can beat anybody on any given night and I expect them to take a matchup from OKC later in the season when Sampson gets their defense going a bit more. Some nights they're excellent on D, but obviously they've really struggled their last two games.

I wonder who they bring in this summer. I don't know what position they'll want to upgrade at. It's not like they need a 3 with Parsons, and will they want a center with the way Asik has been playing? The only guess I have is the four, in which case they'll try to sign somebody and try to get rid of Patterson. Their starters are pretty much set unless Lin falls off the earth again. Morris hopefully gained the starting 4 spot for good tonight. He played Ibaka pretty damn good on D, too.

Edited by BwareDWare94

@ both Zack and Phail, how are your feelings toward Harden for not taking a significant pay cut to stay there?

Houston isn't a championship contender or anything, but they can beat anybody on any given night and I expect them to take a matchup from OKC later in the season when Sampson gets their defense going a bit more. Some nights they're excellent on D, but obviously they've really struggled their last two games.

I wonder who they bring in this summer. I don't know what position they'll want to upgrade at. It's not like they need a 3 with Parsons, and will they want a center with the way Asik has been playing? The only guess I have is the four, in which case they'll try to sign somebody and try to get rid of Patterson. Their starters are pretty much set unless Lin falls off the earth again. Morris hopefully gained the starting 4 spot for good tonight. He played Ibaka pretty damn good on D, too.

I was/am pissed at him for repeatedly saying he wanted to keep the group together and whatnot, but then leaves for a paltry $4.5 million. He can fuck himself as far as I'm concerned.

As for the Rockets, I just think they desperately need some depth and eventually another piece to pair with Harden. If Asik can keep improving that'll help, but I think jettisoning Lowry and picking up Lin was a huge mistake.

I was/am pissed at him for repeatedly saying he wanted to keep the group together and whatnot, but then leaves for a paltry $4.5 million. He can fuck himself as far as I'm concerned.

As for the Rockets, I just think they desperately need some depth and eventually another piece to pair with Harden. If Asik can keep improving that'll help, but I think jettisoning Lowry and picking up Lin was a huge mistake.

See that's the hole in Morey's plan. You don't downgrade at PG and get better, most of the time. Harden, Asik, and Parsons are making up for Lowry being missing, but he was on a fairly cheap contract for the production and I really just didn't like Jeremy Lin until he picked up his scoring of late. If we can get some defense out of him and Harden, eventually, this team will get a lot better.

Houston's defense isn't a problem as a whole--it's at the 1 and 2 spots. Parsons and Asik are excellent defenders. Morris can defend threes or fours. Patterson plays tough against post players. Greg Smith is huge and moves well. If Harden and Lin just tried on defense, I bet Houston has a few more wins. If it takes nothing to get around your guards up top, you're asking your bigs to converge faster than they actually can. Defenses can close gaps that they see develop, but when everybody can just blow by Lin and Harden, it's hard for even Asik to compensate.

You're right about depth, but I'm thinking Morey tries to make another splash. I just don't know how it fits in with this current, improving nucleus.

• Upvote 1

According to former Kings beat writer Sam Amick, DeMarcus Cousins' reinstatement from suspension on Dec. 24 was "made unilaterally by the team's owners and went against the wishes and planned protocol of the team's front office."

Keith Smart was informed of the decision but was later "allowed" to bench Cousins for Wednesday's game, while GM Geoff Petrie, who has been with the Kings for 19 years, "was not a key part of the reinstatement process." Roughly speaking, this leaves us with a disgruntled (to be kind) franchise player who is being pressured to take the team's suggestion that he see a psychiatrist, a puppet coach whose rotations and game management defy logic, a GM who is reduced to a cipher now at the most critical junctures (and who is "all but certain" to leave the team after the season), and a pair of nouveau-broke millionaire owners who are trying to sell the Kings at an above-value price of $500 million on the pretext that a new owner could move it to a more lucrative market. At this point, the only dignified thing that could save the NBA's image here is for the other owners to pressure the Maloofs to sell the team to Sacto buyers.

Guest Phailadelphia

I was pretty bitter about it when it happened because he was one of my favorite players and because I thought it would put a significant damper on OKC's title hopes. But Kevin Martin has honestly filled the 6th man role better than Harden because he doesn't need the ball in his hands to score and I think that's one of the reasons OKC's offense is scoring at a historic pace this year. So as of now...I'm kinda glad it happened.

Houston's offense is REALLY good but that team doesn't have the size nor the athleticism to be a great defensive team imo. Barring an influx of big talent I just kinda see them as a middle of the road fringe playoff team.

Edited by Phailadelphia

Ginobili/Tim/Tony are on fire right now. Manu/Tim haven't looked this good in 5 years. Probably Tony's best season, too. I hate the flopping from Tony and Manu though. I have no problem admitting that my favorite players having annoying tenancies unlike fans of other teams who refuse to critique anything about their players.

I still think CP3 is the biggest flopper of all time. Best PG in the league, but also has some flops that just make you laugh because they are so blatant.

*YouTube Chris Paul Flop Compilation. Entertaining stuff.

Edited by The Admiral
  • Upvote 1