Sign in to follow this  
Omerta

Who is the Best GM in the League.

There are a lot of possible's in there. Volmer is a great RT and I agree with most of your assesments, however McCourty does not belong on there as great picks. He has been dog shit for a while after a mesmerizing rookie season. The jusry is out on a lot except for Gronk and Hernandez. As much of a fan as I am of the entire Jones family Jones rookie season is good but I dont know about DROTY. As to hightower they he is solid too.

All that said look at the rest of the draft. It is bleak.

And I would take the steelers, Ravens, Texans, and Packers draft over the last 5 pats draft classes.

You made it out to sound like Caserio and the Pats front office are a bunch incompetent fools and draft terrible every single year, though. Their draft classes since 2010 have been very good.

Here's some other players that Dmac didn't mention: Jermaine Cunningham, Brandon Spikes, Zoltan Mesko, Marcus Cannon, and Alfonzo Dennard. All of those players are pretty good contributors.

The notion that the Pats are the worst team ever at drafting is getting pretty old.

• Upvote 2

I mean, the Pats have won the AFC East 9 times and been to the Super Bowl 5 times in the last 11 years. You have to be pretty damn good at drafting regardless of who your coach and QB are in order to do that.

Edited by Sarge

You made it out to sound like Caserio and the Pats front office are a bunch incompetent fools and draft terrible every single year, though. Their draft classes since 2010 have been very good.

Here's some other players that Dmac didn't mention: Jermaine Cunningham, Brandon Spikes, Zoltan Mesko, Marcus Cannon, and Alfonzo Dennard. All of those players are pretty good contributors.

The notion that the Pats are the worst team ever at drafting is getting pretty old.

Yeah, the whole "the Pats can't draft" thing is played out. It's gotten as overblown as the same "the Pats are the greatest team ever" thing seems to them. The fact is, I think they could easily split a series with some of the best teams ever, for sure. The Steelers of the '70s, The Niners of the '80s, and even the Cowboys of the '90s—Who I actually regard as the best team that I've ever seen—would have their work cut out for them going up against the post-2000 Pats.

In order to have a team of that caliber, you have to draft pretty damn well and make GREAT personnel moves. You have to be a shrewd negotiator as well when dealing with contract negotiations, and you have to know when to let good players move on when their window is closing. All of this was part of the original question.

That being said, I'm siding with Ozzie myself. That guy is a drafting guru. Fuck Mel Kiper, fuck that li'l punk who always argues with him, and fuck Mike Mayock. Yeah, I said it. Ozzie is the draft guru.

Honorable mention goes to Colbert. I've been saying for years that it doesn't matter who the Steelers lose. They always seem to have someone just as good if not better waiting on deck at almost every position. It's uncanny how seamlessly they manage to cut bait and not miss a beat. They're just always relevant, not matter who leaves.

Interesting no one has said the Seahawks GM.

Brandon Browner - Undrafted, played in CFL

Richard Sherman - 5th rounder

Kam Chancellor - 5th rounder

KJ Wright - 4th rounder

Russell Wilson - 3rd rounder

Traded a 4th rounder and conditional pick for Marshawn Lynch who has been a monster.

Then you have a guys like Earl Thomas who is a beast, Bruce Irvin who is playing well and most thought it was the WTF pick of the draft. I would take this guy over any GM in the league.

• Upvote 1

It was just as old hearing how they are the greatest ever. Nobody is as bad as the jags at the draft for the record, but year after year you hear and have heard about the pats being this amazing drafting team that never misses and every pick was over glorified when people knew he was going to suck balls they would say, " Well that is why BB is the best" blah blah blah. It got old.

I dont think they are the worst personally, they are probably around 7 or so imo.

Interesting no one has said the Seahawks GM.

Brandon Browner - Undrafted, played in CFL

Richard Sherman - 5th rounder

Kam Chancellor - 5th rounder

KJ Wright - 4th rounder

Russell Wilson - 3rd rounder

Traded a 4th rounder and conditional pick for Marshawn Lynch who has been a monster.

Then you have a guys like Earl Thomas who is a beast, Bruce Irvin who is playing well and most thought it was the WTF pick of the draft. I would take this guy over any GM in the league.

Yeah I've loved their recent drafts. Good post. Still pissed Gene Smith drafted a fucking punter over Russelll Wilson... but hey, he ran stride for stride with the PR and made the tackle right? Super Bowl! :facepalm:

I gotta go with Gene Smith as one of the worst GMs in the league. One of those cases where the guy was good at his past jobs so he kept getting promoted until he got promoted to a job he can't handle. Happens a lot in organizations.

I'll side with Ozzie as the best. Not only are him and DeCosta money in the draft, but Ozzie also has that luck factor. Still pissed at him and Minnesota for botching that trade so Baltimore could trade ahead of Jacksonville and take Leftwich. Instead Minnesota forfeits their pick, moves behind Jacksonville and Shack Harris/Gene Smith/Jack Del Rio immediately pounce on Leftwich. While Minnesota and Baltimore "get stuck" with Kevin Williams and Terrell Suggs. FML.

#BecauseJaguars

Dimitroff started with absolute dirt on the board in Atlanta, and he is close to turning it to gold.

Mickey Loomis of the Saints started with absolute dirt on the board in New Orleans and he has turned it to gold. Winning the Super Bowl vouches for him.

Let's wait and see if the Falcons can win a playoff game before we crown Dimitroff.

• Upvote 2

Mark Dominik :troll:

Seriously, I'd probably go Rick Smith with Mickey Loomis and Ozzie close behind.

Smith as done an excellent of building up the Texans and has hit the jackpot on some of his 1st rounders such as Duane Brown and JJ Watt.

Mickey Loomis has turned around the Saints and is an absolute genius when it comes to cap space.

Ozzie is similar to Smith.