Sign in to follow this  
Omerta

Who is the Best GM in the League.

I wont lie the Rex Ryan thread and Mike Tannenbaum got me thinking about what a good GM could do to the team. Which obviously lead me to who are some GM's that could turn the Jets around in their current state. Which led me to who is the best.

So who is the best GM in the league at drafting talent, FA, and contract signings and extensions.

Kevin Colbert. He's GM'ed the Steelers since 2000 and his track record speaks for itself.

Ted Thompson or Bill Belichick

Please tell me you are joking. BB is a great coach.....mediocre at the draft.

Belichick is really overrated. But I'd still say he is top 10 or so.

am I really the only person who's said Colbert so far?

am I really the only person who's said Colbert so far?

Yeah but it isnt unfounded. Points could be made for Newsome, Thompson, and Colbert. They are all on the same field at drafting.

jerry-jones.jpg

now to get serious, my first response is Ozzie, it's amazing how good the Ravens have stayed without any major free agent aquisitions, but I also think (even in spite of bountygate) Mickey Loomis should get at least a mention, he's done a great job building a team in New Orleans, say what you want about Sean Payton's offensive genius, but he's gotta have good players top to bottom to make that offense run and that front office has done a great job of finding the right guys to fit into the system

• Upvote 1

Nick Caserio, not BB, handles most of the "GM" duties.

So BB still does the drafting and talent evaluation right ? Serious question by the way.

So BB still does the drafting and talent evaluation right ? Serious question by the way.

BB has a say in it, but Caserio handles most of the scouting and evaluation.

BB has a say in it, but Caserio handles most of the scouting and evaluation.

Ok than they are both mediocre at that job. Caserio needs to get to the grind and BB's saving grace is he is a good coach.

Caserio needs to get to the grind

wat?

BB's saving grace is he is a good coach.

Well, coaching is his main priority. :shrug:

wat?

Well, coaching is his main priority. :shrug:

Then Caserio needs to get to work, put his nose to the grind, wake up and smell the coffee, pull his head out of his ass, remove his head from his fourth point of contact...you get it.

The he needs to stay away from drafting because a lot of people believe that he is behind the last 10 years of drafting which were it any other person would be getting annihilated.

Then Caserio needs to get to work, put his nose to the grind, wake up and smell the coffee, pull his head out of his ass, remove his head from his fourth point of contact...you get it.

So because the Pats have missed on some picks that means Caserio puts little effort into his job? Good logic, bro. Caserio probably busts his ass harder than anyone else in the Pats front office lol. Teams recently have had interest in bringing him in as their GM. But yeah, because he's not perfect with the draft every year, he sucks LOL.

The he needs to stay away from drafting because a lot of people believe that he is behind the last 10 years of drafting which were it any other person would be getting annihilated.

The Pats had like three poor drafts from 2006-2009. Last few years have been pretty strong. Teams are gonna have good classes some years and shitty classes other years. Just how it is, man.

So because the Pats have missed on some picks that means Caserio puts little effort into his job? Good logic, bro. Caserio probably busts his ass harder than anyone else in the Pats front office lol. Teams recently have had interest in bringing him in as their GM. But yeah, because he's not perfect with the draft every year, he sucks LOL.

The Pats had like three poor drafts from 2006-2009. Last few years have been pretty strong. Teams are gonna have good classes some years and shitty classes other years. Just how it is, man.

Some picks...you are underplaying it just a little.

And what I am saying is that he is often praised for his abilities when in reality the three mentinoed above are light years ahead of him.

Yeah but it isnt unfounded. Points could be made for Newsome, Thompson, and Colbert. They are all on the same field at drafting.

I think it's pretty unfounded. No other GM has Super Bowls with 2 different coaches. The Steelers do a great job of not only drafting but keeping their good players and getting rid of trouble makers. I mean, I can see maybe people thinking he's not the best but me being the only person who has mentioned him so far is pretty crazy

Guest Phailadelphia

Right now, I'd take Rick Smith over anyone in a heartbeat.

IDK... Drafting a DROTY front runner in Chandler, pretty good ILB in Hightower, DROTY candidate in McCourty, Elite, possible future HOF TE in Gronk, backup better then most starting TE in Hernandez, great RT in Volmer, possible great LT in Solder, possible all pro in Ridley over the last three years.

Not very many teams can challenge that...

There are a lot of possible's in there. Volmer is a great RT and I agree with most of your assesments, however McCourty does not belong on there as great picks. He has been dog shit for a while after a mesmerizing rookie season. The jusry is out on a lot except for Gronk and Hernandez. As much of a fan as I am of the entire Jones family Jones rookie season is good but I dont know about DROTY. As to hightower they he is solid too.

All that said look at the rest of the draft. It is bleak.

And I would take the steelers, Ravens, Texans, and Packers draft over the last 5 pats draft classes.

Toss up between Ozzie and Dimitroff for me. Ozzie has had 15 pro-bowl selections in which he has drafted - that's amazing. Granted, he's been there for a while but it remains pretty impressive.

Dimitroff started with absolute dirt on the board in Atlanta, and he is close to turning it to gold.

I think it's pretty unfounded. No other GM has Super Bowls with 2 different coaches. The Steelers do a great job of not only drafting but keeping their good players and getting rid of trouble makers. I mean, I can see maybe people thinking he's not the best but me being the only person who has mentioned him so far is pretty crazy

I would pick him as well. The Steelers are the one team that can play thru injuries. I always see them play without Troy, or without Hampton in the past and the Steelers still find a way to win. Got to have the right players and backups to continue to be effective in the long run. Steelers always find a NEW star on defense one way or another. Not to mention they draft well.