Vin

Bucs @ Panthers

After watching as many highlights as I can, I'm even more pissed.

Let's start with the reffing. Again.

There were at least 2 calls that were simply terrible, one on both teams.

Doug Martin's "fumble" at the goal-line was clearly a TD. I have no idea how any NFL official looks at that replay and comes away saying he fumbled.

Thomas Davis was called for a PF on the first play of the Bucs game-tying drive. I hate that penalty in general, (hit on a defenseless receiver), but this one was particularly egregious. Underwood catches the ball, sees Davis coming, lowers his helmet, and *then* is hit by Davis. It was a good hard clean hit, and the refs again penalize the defense for something that shouldn't be a foul.

I'd also like to see a replay of Smitty's TD being called back because of OPI.

Then let's go to the special teams.

Justin Medlock missed another FG inside of 45 yards. I said a few weeks ago to let try FGs or cut him. Now that you've let him try FGs, it's time to cut him.

Then there was an absolutely terrible fake punt play and call. There was no reason on earth to call a fake punt in the position we were in, and having your DB looking to throw it was stupid as well. As soon as he saw the gunner was covered, he should have called off the play. He redeemed himself with a pick on the ensuing possession for Tampa, but it was still a dumb, dumb call.

On V-Jax's tying TD catch, the person in deep coverage of him is Luke Kuechly. What. the. fuck.

(McDermott needs to go. Obvious to everyone except Rivera apparently.)

I'm sure there's plenty more I could be pissed about, but fortunately I didn't see this one, as I mentioned earlier.

After watching as many highlights as I can, I'm even more pissed.

Let's start with the reffing. Again.

There were at least 2 calls that were simply terrible, one on both teams.

Doug Martin's "fumble" at the goal-line was clearly a TD. I have no idea how any NFL official looks at that replay and comes away saying he fumbled.

Yep. Garbage call. I knew it was going to stand though. I just laughed when the officials came out of the booth and said it.

Thomas Davis was called for a PF on the first play of the Bucs game-tying drive. I hate that penalty in general, (hit on a defenseless receiver), but this one was particularly egregious. Underwood catches the ball, sees Davis coming, lowers his helmet, and *then* is hit by Davis. It was a good hard clean hit, and the refs again penalize the defense for something that shouldn't be a foul.

Yep. Another awful call. The funny thing about this one was that the refs didn't even throw it until they saw Underwood sitting on the ground. It was a completely legal hit, but the dumb ass refs assumed it was illegal because Underwood was down.

I'd also like to see a replay of Smitty's TD being called back because of OPI.

That was clearly OPI, IMO. He pushed off Wright at the last second to get the separation he needed. If he didn't do that, the pass would have been batted down.

Then let's go to the special teams.

Justin Medlock missed another FG inside of 45 yards. I said a few weeks ago to let try FGs or cut him. Now that you've let him try FGs, it's time to cut him.

Then there was an absolutely terrible fake punt play and call. There was no reason on earth to call a fake punt in the position we were in, and having your DB looking to throw it was stupid as well. As soon as he saw the gunner was covered, he should have called off the play. He redeemed himself with a pick on the ensuing possession for Tampa, but it was still a dumb, dumb call.

Yea, I didn't get this call at all either. Ended up not hurting the Panthers though.

On V-Jax's tying TD catch, the person in deep coverage of him is Luke Kuechly. What. the. fuck.

(McDermott needs to go. Obvious to everyone except Rivera apparently.)

I'm sure there's plenty more I could be pissed about, but fortunately I didn't see this one, as I mentioned earlier.

Like that idiot Kila :shifty:

Ha! A wins a win, bitch. :corn:

We need to start using Dallas Clark more often. The guy can actually still play. He has great hands and has come up pretty big for us this year when we have needed him to.

I thought the same thing. I realized after this game how much better we can be now if we get him more involved. He was open all game within 6-8 yards. Dude still has soft hands. He's not going to be busting out of the gate for 100 yard games like when we first got K2 but he can be a nice, reliable target for Freeman that defenses will have to account for.

Props to the defense for coming up HUGE in the 4th quarter with the Panthers trying to close it out. Aside from that pass to Smith on first, they couldn't do anything against our run D. It was a pathetic attempt at closing out a game on the part of the OC. I feel a bit fortunate he wasn't a bit more aggressive.

Also, Mark Barron played a horrible game. He is becoming quite the liability in coverage and is out of position on a lot of plays.

Also, Mark Barron played a horrible game. He is becoming quite the liability in coverage and is out of position on a lot of plays.

Yea, I've been getting a little worried about Barron. He got beat a few times today and had Greg Olson caught that nice pass by Scam in the 1st quarter, he would have got burned for another TD. TE's don't seem to be having much trouble getting separation from Barron and it is very concerning. And he needs to learn to TURN AROUND. Even though he didn't make contact with Olson in the end zone, the refs still called it and ALWAYS will if you aren't facing the football. We've seen this happen multiple times already through 10 games. He has been really bad in coverage this year, IMO.

And while he has been alright with run support and tackling, he also completely missed Cam Newton on an open field tackle on a 3rd and long run yesterday which ended up resulting in a 1st down because he couldn't even put a hand on him to slow Cam down.

Maybe I am being too harsh on the guy; After all he is just a rookie. Maybe I'm spoiled with him because of how well our other rookies (Martin and David) have played. I don't know, but either way, I have not been too impressed with Barron as of late. Hopefully he can fix these issues and become a play maker in this joke of a secondary.

Edited by MuscleHamster22

Ha! A wins a win, bitch. :corn:

Hehe, too bad I missed most of this one live. :(

Edited by BayAreaBomber

Let's not forget that Barron is a rookie. We see guys like Doug Martin, Lavonte David and other rookies out there having really good rookie years and we easily forget that we cannot expect the same from every other rookie. Needs time to develop.

The coverage game, for a rookie Safety, is going to take longer to develop. Even as spectacular as David has been, he's been susceptible in coverage too. Especially the play-action stuff.

Barron has definitely looked like a rookie in his coverage game, or lack thereof, but he'll get better with time.

Hell, IIRC, Dungy benched Lynch at one point and he was like in his second or third year.

I realize that he isn't your DC... but isn't Rivera a defensive-minded coach? Why in the world can his team not stop the opponent from going 80 yards in 50 seconds without a timeout.

What happens when the bane of your team is right in your head coaches wheel house?

I am a huge proponent of patience and giving a head coach TIME. You don't want to make hasty decisions on things like these. But if the season ended today.... And I am the Panthers. Pretty sure Ron Rivera would be shit canned.

If the defense is going to collapse in the 4th quarter every week, why not just go get an offensive guy to make sure the offense is putting up 30 points per game, making it harder for the D unit to collapse? lol

I realize that he isn't your DC... but isn't Rivera a defensive-minded coach? Why in the world can his team not stop the opponent from going 80 yards in 50 seconds without a timeout.

What happens when the bane of your team is right in your head coaches wheel house?

I am a huge proponent of patience and giving a head coach TIME. You don't want to make hasty decisions on things like these. But if the season ended today.... And I am the Panthers. Pretty sure Ron Rivera would be shit canned.

If the defense is going to collapse in the 4th quarter every week, why not just go get an offensive guy to make sure the offense is putting up 30 points per game, making it harder for the D unit to collapse? lol

I agree completely.

I'm trying not to let emotion at what was thought to be a good season actually being a bad one make my decision for me... but yeah, I'm of the opinion Rivera should be gone.

The mere fact that Nakamura is still starting at FS is just mind-boggling.

I have since learned that the fake punt was *his* call. He has been given the ability on punts to call a fake if the gunner is uncovered, (which he was for a brief instant, and then Tampa covered him). Stupid to give him that power in the first place, and stupid for him to call for a fake in that position.

On his INT, he was completely out of position on V-Jax, and the only reason it was an INT and not a TD is because either Freeman underthrew it by ten yards, or there was a mis-communication on the route.

And again, I am concerned about what they are teaching Cam. They are telling him that if you can't get to the victory formation, you will not win the game. You can't trust your teammates to finish something they should be able to finish. This forces him to try to make throws he shouldn't. He played a solid game against a defense that is great against the run, so he was forced to beat them through the air, and as Kila mentioned, should have had another TD to go with it. (For once, he wasn't the leading rusher, but only by three yards.)

But his special teams sucks- his kicker is inaccurate, his punter is one of the worst in the league and has had two punts of less than ten yards in the last three weeks. His punt team calls for a fake in dumb situations.

His defense plays solid until the final five minutes when they routinely fall apart.

Edited by Thanatos19