Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Schefter: NFL views Matt Barkley as late 1st-round pick

Per Rotoworld.com:

ESPN's Adam Schefter stated on Mike & Mike Wednesday morning that USC QB Matt Barkley is viewed around the NFL as a "late first-round pick."

Schefter cited a relatively weak incoming quarterback class as reasons for Alex Smith and Michael Vick to "absolutely" have strong offseason markets. Smith is a trade candidate, while Vick is expected to be released after the Super Bowl. Per Schefter, Heisman finalist Collin Klein is viewed as a "late-round pick," and scouts "aren't completely wowed" by West Virginia QB Geno Smith. Barkley showed underwhelming arm strength as a college senior and was interception prone. We wouldn't be surprised if he fell to the second round. Dec 5 - 10:11 PM

Source: ESPN.com

This could be the worst quarterback class in a long, long time.

The guy shoulda left school when he had the chance.

He woulda been a top 5 pick had he left. It's not completely over for him as teams always try to get their hands on a QB and he has potential. But it woulda saved him, whoever his agent will be, a whole lot more time, energy to go in the top 10.

Especially in a class loaded with talent up front and a DT that may end up going first.

All this negativity just means that this QB class is going to be awesome.

• Upvote 1

He's not worthy of a 1st round pick to me. If the Chiefs take him at #1 overall...just going to ruin their franchise for another 5 years.

Oh my god, if Matt Barkley goes #1 I might never stop laughing, ever. Which would make life pretty awkward from that point. Geno, Tyler Wilson, Glennon, Dysert > Barkley.

Edited by CampinWithGoatSampson

I think Barkley will be a mid-1st round pick. Over the past few years it's become commonplace to see teams take a quarterback earlier than their so called "projected value."

Josh Freeman: 17th overall

Most draft "analysts" considered him a late first rounder

Tim Tebow: 25th overall

Do I really need to further explain myself on this one?

Jake Locker: 8th overall

Christian Ponder: 12th overall

Ponder definitely went a lot higher than what most people expected, Locker was a bit of a shocker too.

Ryan Tannehill: 8th overall

Brandon Weeden: 22nd overall

Tannehill was considered a late first round prospect, and Weeden had 2nd rounder written all over him.

So basically all it really takes is one team to fall in love with a quarterback, and I'd be extremely shocked if Barkley fell out of the Top 15 picks. He'd have to have a complete meltdown at the Combine.

• Upvote 2

All this negativity just means that this QB class is going to be awesome.

I was thinking the same thing.Having said that I really hope we don't take a QB in the first this year.

Seriously, he is a USC QB. Did anybody actually have any faith in this kid ?