CampinWithaMissingPerson

Jets failed offer to David Caldwell revealed

Jets were going to offer Caldwell the house — literally

per PFT via Peter King: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/14/jets-were-going-to-offer-caldwell-the-house-literally/

Here’s a bit more evidence that the Jets aren’t having the easiest time finding someone to take their general manager job.

According to Peter King of Sports Illustrated, the Jets were going to include a $1 million housing allowance in the deal they were preparing for GM candidate David Caldwell.

The Jets will eventually find someone to take their GM job. After all, there are only 32 such positions in the world, and many more people who want one of them.

But the fact they couldn’t convince Caldwell to join them, even while offering such a huge perk, speaks to the issues there.

A tight salary cap, a problematic quarterback situation, and a coach he didn’t get to pick was apparently more than Caldwell wanted to take on, no matter what.

Say what you want about Jacksonville (note to New York, not everyone wants to live in New York), but getting to do things his way, with an owner who has shown signs of being supportive while not meddling (cough, Tebow, cough), was apparently enough to sway Caldwell’s decision.

Ouch.

Edited by CampinWithGoatSampson

I really can't blame any GM who is basically stuck with a crappy QB and no choice but keeping the HC. Not that Rex Ryan is a bad coach.

Any self respecting executive would laugh at this job. It might just take some dead beat recycled guy, or some unheard of guy looking to make a name for himself. I know they are looking at at least one of our guys... Our contract / cap manager... Something they need desperately. Dunno if he would ever get offered a GM spot again, so maybe.

Since nobody wants the job, I'll take it.

• Upvote 1

NO ONE wants this job. I feel for Jets fans (and this coming from a Jags fan, so you know it's bad.) Woody just completely fucked the team up. I'm still convinced they extended Sanchez just to make sure they didn't hurt his feelings after trading for Tebow. :rofl: I guess teams just figured Sanchez out, what he can and can't do and schemed for it — because he's gotten progressively worse each year it seems. They got talent, it's just the QB situation is so fucked up right now. Too much money invested in it too. Tebow came out the last year of the old rookie wage scale. To put it in perspective, Tebow made $1.94 mill this past year, while Andrew Luck made $390k. That's $1.55 million more than Andrew Luck. Sanchez is banking even more than that. And no one wants these guys, so you can't trade them and dump the contracts. Such a clusterfuck.

You'd think that this process (in how it's played out thus far) would be a bit of a wake up call for the Jets ownership...

...but then you'd laugh and remember that it's the Jets.

Somewhere Rexy Ryan is laughing his ass off STILL because he was able to convince the Jets to keep him.

NO ONE wants this job. I feel for Jets fans (and this coming from a Jags fan, so you know it's bad.) Woody just completely fucked the team up. I'm still convinced they extended Sanchez just to make sure they didn't hurt his feelings after trading for Tebow. :rofl: I guess teams just figured Sanchez out, what he can and can't do and schemed for it — because he's gotten progressively worse each year it seems. They got talent, it's just the QB situation is so fucked up right now. Too much money invested in it too. Tebow came out the last year of the old rookie wage scale. To put it in perspective, Tebow made $1.94 mill this past year, while Andrew Luck made $390k. That's $1.55 million more than Andrew Luck. Sanchez is banking even more than that. And no one wants these guys, so you can't trade them and dump the contracts. Such a clusterfuck.

It doesn't just seem that Sanchez is getting worse, he is getting worse. This team is such a zoo, is it any wonder why nobody wants this GM job?

Ya, you have to believe that Rex being locked into the 2013 season is also a road block for potential GMs.. Who wants the loud douche to be spouting off how awesome their sub par team is. Most guys don't need, nor want that kind of added attention and pressure.

Believe me I understand why people don't want to come be GM of the Jets but Rex Ryan being coach should not be one of them. You only have to put up with him for one year and he's proven to do as much or more than any other coach available on the market right now.

Rex Ryan is a great coach. I firmly believe that. Nobody could win these last two years with the pieces he's had. The team needs to start rebuilding a few certain spots on their depth chart.

What Phil said.

Marc Ross, the Giants director of college scouting, has removed his name from the Jets GM search, Conor Orr of the Newark Star-Ledger reports citing a person with knowledge of the situation confirmed.

Ross has been working with the Giants since 2007 and has been responsible for drafting the likes of Hakeem Nicks, Will Beatty, Jason Pierre-Paul, Linval Joseph, Prince Amukamara and Jacquian Williams.

Source Edited by BucD