BLUE

Next Gen Console News & Updates

Some of the games looked neat, even if they were being run on a PC :p

And the share button had my attention. Other than that, too much information is still needed.

Am I the only one who felt underwhelmed by the whole "launch event"? Nothing really that made me go, wow that's cool!

*cough* fuddy-duddy *cough*

*cough* fuddy-duddy *cough*

Whatever....PC gaming master race! :p

_wallpaper__glorious_pc_gaming_master_race_by_admiralserenity-d5qvxos.png

Its funny that console people think 8 gigs of RAM is a lot. :p

Its funny that console people think 8 gigs of RAM is a lot. :p

Well, considering both the PS3 and 360 have been getting by with just 512 MB; yeah, 8 GB is a lot.

No required internet connection, and doesn't block used games (not the greatest confirmation in the article, but at least it's something).

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-21-playstation-4-does-not-require-an-internet-connection

If Diablo 3 taught us anything, it's that not everyone loves the idea of games that demand an internet connection.

In fact, it was hard to find anyone who loved games that demand an internet connection, which was sort of the problem: if you can't outweigh the pain of potential inconvenience to whatever proportion of your audience, then you simply aren't going to win that battle. Click click click loot loot loot.

Good news, then, because Sony Computer Entertainment seems to have reached the same conclusion at a system level for PlayStation 4, and as the result the new console will do pretty much whatever you customise it to do when it comes to the internet.

Sony's super-slick PS4 conference talked about a lot of functionality that will clearly benefit from an internet connection more than ever before - a processing module that handles downloads in the console's suspend state, for one thing - but when I talked to Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida after the PS4 conference he was adamant it was all customisable.

Does the PlayStation 4 always need to be connected to the internet, I asked?

"You can play offline, but you may want to keep it connected," he suggested. "The system has the low-power mode - I don't know the official term - that the main system is shut down but the subsystem is awake. Downloading or updating or you can wake it up using either the tablet, smartphone or PS Vita."

Are all of those things optional, though? For people who have broadband data limits, for example? They can customise everything?

"Oh yes, yes, you can go offline totally. Social is big for us, but we understand there are some people who are anti-social! So if you don't want to connect to anyone else, you can do that."

Sony clearly isn't afraid of technical nuance. This is a company that announced its next-generation console by declaring it has an x86 architecture, advanced PC GPU, 8GB of GDDR5 memory and a massive hard disk. You may like some of its networking ideas. You may not like some of them. I got the impression speaking to Yoshida that Sony has other priorities.

Speaking from experience, it's always been good at allowing people to change what they want up to a logical point - far beyond any of its competitors - and I see no reason to suspect any change this generation.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-21-sony-tells-eurogamer-playstation-4-will-not-block-used-games

Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida has told Eurogamer that PlayStation 4 will not block the use of second-hand games, contrary to various reports, speculation and even a Sony patent unearthed last month.

I sat down with Yoshida a few hours after the PS4 reveal tonight and one of the first things I asked was whether used games would be blocked.

"Do you want us to do that?" he asked.

No, I said. I think, if you buy something on a disc, that you have a kind of moral contract with the person you've bought it from that you retain some of that value and you can pass it on.

Do you agree, I asked?

"Yes. That's the general expectation by consumers," said Yoshida. "They purchase physical form, they want to use it everywhere, right? So that's my expectation."

So if someone buys a PlayStation 4 game, I asked, you're not going to stop them reselling it?

"Aaaah," was Yoshida's initial answer, but seemingly only because he'd forgotten his line. "So what was our official answer to our internal question?" he asked his Japanese PR advisor. The advisor stepped in but didn't seem to answer clearly, at least to my ears. Yoshida then took control again firmly:

"So, used games can play on PS4. How is that?"

I said I thought that was fine.

Interestingly, I also spoke to a Sony source elsewhere at the event this evening who told me that the anti used-game patent discovered last month was actually nothing to do with PlayStation 4 at all.

The patent suggested that discs would come branded with a contactless tag that could be recognised and read by your console, which would then bind it to you and prevent you from selling it on.

But whatever reason Sony did have for patenting it, it sounds like it wasn't for its next-generation console. Hopefully Microsoft will also avoid this ludicrous technology with its next-generation Xbox as well.

Edited by Vin

Thought this was a pretty solid review of the "reveal"

More, More, More—How Do You Like It?

At a New York event, Sony argues that the game industry’s problems can only be solved with more of everything.

By John Teti • February 21, 2013

At Wednesday night’s “unveiling” of the PlayStation 4 in New York, Sony did not show us the PlayStation 4, which makes this the most postmodern unveiling I’ve ever attended. However, the various Sony honchos who took the stage at the Manhattan Center auditorium did describe the heart of the machine. It’s “the gamer,” or maybe it’s the “consumer”—same thing, apparently. The word “social” was used as a noun at many points, as it, too, lies at the core of the PlayStation 4. And then there’s the “supercharged PC architecture.” You want gigabytes? Brother, you can have all the gigabytes you need.

And apparently the world’s game developers need them. One after another, self-respecting game creators took the stage to shake their heads and lament the severe “limitations” they have been forced to endure prior to the advent of the PlayStation 4. If it’s unseemly for representatives of a multi-billion-dollar mass media industry to whine about the constraints on their creativity, that didn’t seem to bother any of the men (there were no women) who regurgitated Sony’s pipe-dream talking points last night.

To hear these guys talk, the greatness of the heretofore unseen (and still unseen) PlayStation 4 is matched only by the awfulness of the PlayStation 3. Lead System Architect Mark Cerny explained—in a patronizing story-time tone reminiscent of Bobby Jindal’s 2009 star turn—that we have the internet now, and people like to be on the internet all the time, but “there are limitations to the experiences [the PlayStation 3] can provide in this new world.”

A producer from Sony’s Evolution Studios said that he and his colleagues had been sitting on their idea for a global peer-to-peer team-based persistent-connection trophy speed online network synergy car game for a decade. They even trademarked the name, DriveClub. You can see why they’d want to lock that down. The trouble is, they were never able to make it until now—apparently because the PlayStation 3 didn’t have enough social. The Evolution producer then showed us how DriveClub players can challenge online friends to beat their best race times, a feature already present in practically every racing game made in the past two years...

\

full article:

http://gameological.com/2013/02/more-more-morehow-do-you-like-it/

• Upvote 1

Lol, didn't even watch the "reveal" but the amount of garbage Sony is spewing is highly entertaining to read.

Well, considering both the PS3 and 360 have been getting by with just 512 MB; yeah, 8 GB is a lot.

No required internet connection, and doesn't block used games (not the greatest confirmation in the article, but at least it's something).

I'm just saying, top of the line PCs have had 8 gigs of RAM for awhile. Now they're getting 16 and 32 gigs. Consoles are just so far behind PCs in processing power.

It's always been that way and always will. The PS4 is using GDDR5 for RAM and companies have been shipping machines with that for almost 5 years now.

Consoles will NEVER catch up to PCs as far as technology, especially being that consoles last for 8-10 years while new tech comes out that is smaller, faster, and more powerful every 6 months at most.

Even if these new consoles used the absolute best, state-of-the-art, never before used PC components, they would be way behind within 2 years.

Also factor in that it just wouldn't make sense price-wise for either Sony/Microsoft or the consumers and it kinda makes sense.

Lol, didn't even watch the "reveal" but the amount of garbage Sony is spewing is highly entertaining to read.

It's because the future of their company in the entertainment space literally depends on the PS4 being successful. Sony have dug themselves into a massive hole in recent times, focusing too much on the Japanese market and their traditional revenue areas (eg. TVs, electronics) have seen shrinking margins and increased competition. The PS4 has a massive weight on it's shoulders to do well, particularly in the international market.

I'm curious, what's the best looking game on PC right now? Obviously this is going to be somewhat dependent on comp specs, but just in general.

And backwards compatibility is dead. I figured the discs themselves, but I wasn't expecting PSN games as well. Different architecture is different architecture, I guess, but it's still surprising. Glad I haven't really downloaded a ton of stuff...

Oh yeah, and no DS3 compatibility, but that's not really surprising either.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/21/playstation-4-not-backwards-compatible-with-retail-or-digital-games

In a roundtable conversation with journalists, President of Sony’s Worldwide Studios noted that PS3 games of both the retail and downloadable variety will not be compatible with PlayStation 4, at least not natively. In other words, your PS3 discs won’t work in the new console nor will the games you downloaded. This means that hits like Journey, The Unfinished Swan, Shatter and hundreds of other games available in the digital space will not be carried over to PlayStation 4 in addition to the collection of PS3 discs sitting on your shelf.

There’s a catch, though: emulation. The PlayStation 3 doesn’t read PlayStation 2 discs (at least not anymore), but it can play PS2 games via the PlayStation Store in an emulated environment. Yoshida concedes that this is possible for PlayStation 4 supporting legacy PlayStation consoles as well. Indeed, the Gaikai presentation during PlayStation 4’s reveal touched on this “everything, everywhere” mentality. But for now, downloaded PS3 games won’t work “unless, somehow, some games work on emulation. And the easiest thing, technically, would be to make PSone games work on PS4 with emulation. But we’re not talking about our emulation plans as yet.”

In short, “There are two ways [to play legacy content]: emulation or cloud services [from Gaikai]. But native support [of digital games from PS3], no, sorry. It doesn’t work.”

But how about some good news to close? Yoshida reaffirmed that “disc-based games on PS4” will work on any other PlayStation 4. So, as first reported yesterday, PS4 will have no used games/shared games lock for retail, store-bought titles.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/21/playstation-4-supports-move-but-not-dualshock-3

Today during a roundtable discussion with the president of Sony’s Worldwide Studios, Shuhei Yoshida, news about the role of PlayStation 3’s two controllers – DualShock 3 and PlayStation Move – were revealed in terms of their functionality with PlayStation 4.

In short: DualShock 3 won’t work with PlayStation 4, but PlayStation Move will. “No, [PS4] doesn’t support DualShock 3,” noted Yoshida, “but it does support PS Move.”

This news isn’t exactly surprising; DualShock 4 is a far different beast than its predecessor. And with news that PS4 isn’t backwards compatible with PS3, there would be no reason for such functionality. What is surprising is that PlayStation Move will work with PS4, as suggested by the on-screen presentation given by Sony first-party studio Media Molecule during PlayStation 4’s reveal.

Move technology is also built into the DualShock 4 in functionality with the PS4 Eye, so it seems Sony isn’t quite ready to give up the motion gaming ghost just yet.

Nice to see they aren't going to try to kill Gamestop. I appreciate that, at the very least.

I wonder if Microsoft is going to have it's own event, or just wait for E3... They would pretty much dominate E3 if they waited, but who knows.

Edited by Favre4Ever

deepdown-2-16-7fps-29dxpdk.gif

Are you... trying to say something with your gifs? lol

Excited for Capcoms new game engine?

Just stuff I find cool. Though I guess that gif works on other levels too...

Best looking game...

I haven't even played it, but I'm betting Crysis 3 is up there in the top-5.

Far Cry 3 and AC3 are also beautiful. Honestly with all the mods I've got into it, Skyrim is up there.

... The graphics are making me warm up to this... I just hope they at least have an option for conventional controllers.

Damn you graphics... like a gamer's cocaine.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/23/ps4-sony-sees-a-disc-based-future

Sony's Jim Ryan has told IGN that Blu-Ray discs will still be the PlayStation 4's dominant delivery mechanism for games, despite a wider move towards a more connected console.

Sony has upped its game in the digital distribution field over the past year or two with the PS3, delivering games to PSN day-and-date with their retail releases (although still at full RRP, which in Europe especially is often far in excess of the price you can expect to pay in a shop.) But although Sony Computer Entertainment Europe's president and CEO sees the trend towards digital downloads continuing, he still sees a primarily disc-based future for the console.

"Clearly, and this applies not just to games but to pretty much every form of entertainment, there is a trend to increased digital consumption, and that is happening now on PS3 and will continue and will probably accelerate on PS4," he told IGN. "But the primary delivery mechanism for the big games on the PS4 platform will continue to be Blu-Ray discs, for the foreseeable future."

What counts as the forseeable future? Five years? "That sort of horizon, yes," Ryan agrees. The reasoning behind this is that PS4 games will take up so much space that in many parts of the world, downloading them just won't be realistic. "For our big first-party games, we’ve encouraged the studios to make as much use of the BD50 [50-gigabyte Blu-Ray drive] as they possibly can – some of these things run to like 45 gigs," he says.

"If you go down to Southern Europe, where we have very big and important businesses, it can take you 3 days over a standard internet connection to download a file of the size, and that’s not fun. There are certain gating factors in terms of internet infrastructure that mandate that the disc-based solution is going to be the primary delivery mechanism for the foreseeable future."

Sony's PlayStation 4 was unveiled in New York last Wednesday. You can catch up with all IGN's coverage on our PS4 hub.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/28/playstation-4-the-coolest-stuff-you-probably-didnt-know

While there have been morsels of PlayStation 4 information doled out since the console’s coming out party, Sony really hasn’t had the chance to speak at length about the product since February. At least, not until today. Here in San Francisco, Sony Computer Entertainment America Senior Staff Engineer Chris Norton hosted a Game Developers Conference panel titled “Developing for the PS4.”

While a lot of the speech was heady technical stuff, there were some very interesting reveals. Here they are.

The PSN Friend Limit Is Increasing

Norton said at the beginning of the conference, “Core gamers are our primary audience.” PS4 is going to serve that group by increasing the number of PlayStation Network friends from the current cap of 100 to… well, Norton didn’t say. He just said it’ll be increased.

“A Very Large Hard Drive in Every Console.”

Again, Norton didn’t offer specifics as to what the exact size of PS4 hard drives would be, but he stated there will be “a very large hard drive in every console.” Food for thought.

Buttons: They Are a Changin’

Back on the PS3, the D-pad and the face buttons of the DualShock were digital – meaning that they could sense pressure and change input based on it. Norton said that developers didn’t use that option, however, and the DualShock 4 ditches digital and replaces them with analog buttons. The touchpad resolution on the controller is 1920x900, and the L2/R2 buttons are curved to help avoid accidental Netflix fast forwarding.

The PS4 Charges Controllers When It’s Sleeping

One of the biggest gripe about the PS3 is that when it’s in sleep mode, its USB ports are off. This means that you have to have the console on to charge controllers. With PS4, that will no longer be a problem. When it’s sleeping, the PS4 will charge DualShock 4s.

Headset in Every Box

The PlayStation Network is a quiet place right now. Why? Well, the PS3 didn’t bundle a mic with the console, so lots of players never grabbed one. The PS4 will put a headset in every box so that communication is easy.

“The PS4 Eye Will Enhance the PS4 User Experience.”

The PlayStation 4 Eye is well documented on IGN. Dual cameras, 1280x800 resolution, 12 bits/pixel, 60Hz, etc. However, it’s also going to have a dedicated port on the console with an exclusive SCE connector. This means two things: 1) The camera won’t eat up a USB port on the console. 2) The camera probably won’t work with other devices. No. 2 is what I, Greg Miller, think; Norton didn’t say that. However, Norton did list a bunch of potential uses: walkthrough videos, taunting in killcam, login, and speech recognition. Need more? Well, if you’re playing a split-screen game and switch places with your friend, the camera can read your controllers and flip the splitscreen so that you’re lined up better.

Your Real (PSN) Names

At the February debut, Sony showed the PlayStation 4 dialing into your social networks and then using your real name on the console. This, as predicted, is something you’ll need to enable. If enabled, when you import your friends from social networks, you’ll use your real name. You can decide which of your PlayStation only friends see your real name, too. If any.

Recording Is Mandatory

Norton spent a portion of his presentation making sure developers knew the PlayStation 4 does a lot of heavy lifting. Recording footage? Sharing content? That’s all on the console. The developers don’t have to put anything special in their code. It’s all built to do it on its own.

Remote Play Upgrades

Remote Play’s been around for a while, but it’s never been fantastic. With the PS4 and Vita, PlayStation’s looking to change that. When you connect via a local network or the Internet, the screens will be mirrored. That means unlike the PS3/Vita, one screen won’t be dead – they’ll both be showing the game. Plus, rather than have to enter into a separate mode, you can start Remote Play at any time on the PS4.

Colors > Numbers

The light bars on the DualShock 4 are going to identify players. We knew that. What you might not have known however, is that the color/player relationship is always the same. Player 1 will always be blue, Player 2 red, Player 3 green, and Player 4 pink. Plus, that light bar can be used to display muzzle flashes from your gun, health and so on.

The more I read, the more it looks like the "720" is going to be online at all times. Nothing guaranteed because nobody is allowed to release that information yet but... It's not looking good. I don't want to go back to Sony :(

The more I read, the more it looks like the "720" is going to be online at all times. Nothing guaranteed because nobody is allowed to release that information yet but... It's not looking good. I don't want to go back to Sony :(

Fuck, neither do I. :shrug:

It's one dude (one asshole, rather). Microsoft has already come out and completely disowned him and apologized for his remarks. Wish they would just fire the guy...

It's one dude (one asshole, rather). Microsoft has already come out and completely disowned him and apologized for his remarks. Wish they would just fire the guy...

Yeah you can't completely disown someone who is still working for your company.

Sure they can. He's probably got a nice office down in the basement and been secretly taken off payroll.