Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

UPDATE: Stafford, Lions Agree To Extension

Per Rotoworld.com:

According to Lions GM Martin Mayhew, there hasn't been a "whole lot of dialog" about extending Matthew Stafford's contract, but it remains a priority.

It's a priority because Stafford is currently set to count a staggering $20.82 million against the cap. Stafford is also only signed through 2015, while the going rate for franchise quarterbacks is continuing to skyrocket. A major discount is unlikely, but locking Stafford up coming off a down season should be a calculated risk worth taking for the Lions. Feb 7 - 2:52 PM

Source: detroitlions.com

Edited by Favre4Ever

Matthew Stafford says he only wants "fair-market value" on his impending extension, and is willing to take less so the Lions can spend more on his supporting cast.

"I want talent around me, frankly," Stafford said Tuesday. "Everywhere in the league you see guys breaking records with how much they’re making and all that kind of stuff. ... I don’t really care about breaking (salary) records too much. I want to break records on the field." It's a noble sentiment, but "fair-market value" for Stafford will still easily exceed $50 million guaranteed. The Detroit Free Press considers it "just a matter of time" before the sides agree to an extension.

Source: Detroit Free Press

Nice. He easily isn't worth it, anyway!

Id be fine with 15 mil/5+ years. Am I crazy?

I am biased, but he is young. He can make every throw. He's getting better. The team is getting better.

Idt he's gonna be fine with getting paid 15 mill a year when he's currently due to make 20 mill+. Unless if all he's been saying isn't just for PR.

It has to be. Locking him up long term would free up so much space. MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!

I demand that the Lions trade Stafford to the Cardinals for a bag of Arizona sand, and Ryan loLindley! :troll: lol

• Downvote 1

Posted by Darin Gantt on June 8, 2013, 5:58 PM EDT

Lions team president Tom Lewand described talks toward an extension for quarterback Matthew Stafford as a “very productive process,” but said if they can’t reach a deal before the season starts, they’ll just wait until after the season ends.

“We’ve still got some discussion to have, but at some point in time we’ll either get a deal done or we’ll focus on football,” Lewand said of Stafford, via Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press. “It’s a different dynamic when you have two years left on a contract versus one. Most of them get done with a year left. And we’ve worked through a lot of those issues and continue to do that, want to continue the dialogue.

“But at some point in time we’ll either have a deal or we’ll agree that the focus needs to be on what’s going on on the field.”

The Lions have been talking about a new deal for Stafford since February, with the talks progressing in April.

Stafford has two years left on his rookie deal, but salary cap numbers of $20.8 million this year and $19.3 million next have the Lions looking to do something sooner.

While Stafford’s value is inflated because his first contract was signed under the old CBA (before owners beat rookie deals down to a manageable level), deals such as those for Tony Romo and Joe Flacco provide some degree of framework.

“Again, I think it’s atypical for us to enter into discussions with Matthew with two years left on his deal, and I’m very glad we have,” Lewand said. “I think it’s been a very productive process that may result in an agreement, and I certainly think will result in an agreement at the right point in time, and that may be soon and it may be a little bit later, but the process itself has been very valuable.

“It’s not something clubs around the league generally do as a matter of course because with two years left on a deal it is a little more difficult. It obviously does happen, Aaron Rodgers being an example, but it’s more of the exception than the rule with two years left.”

While Stafford’s value shouldn’t approach Rodgers’ based on production, the fact the Lions are close against the salary cap and could use the room will only help him.

Source: ProFootballTalk

Edited by BLUE

Any deal under the new CBA will be more team friendly than his current deal. I'm not a contract guru but you could mirror his current pay for 5 more years, restructuring with a more bonus-friendly contract like a few other QBs have recently. It could leave both sides happy and free up 6mil per year. Don't see why it wouldn't happen, if handled correctly it could be mutually beneficial.

• Upvote 1

Stafford gets $27.5 million to sign under his new deal

Posted by Mike Florio on July 9, 2013, 2:56 PM EDT

The deal isn’t done yet. When it is, and barring a dramatic, last-minute change, Stafford will earn $27.5 million with the stroke of a pen.

That’s the signing bonus he’ll receive on his three-year extension, per a source with knowledge of the terms.

Stafford also will receive a base salary of $4 million this year, pushing his total payout for 2013 to $31.5 million.

The cap savings for the next two years (total) will be in the range of $7 million. That’s money that can be used to re-sign tight end Brandon Pettigrew or defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh.

Stafford’s $15.3 million average puts him well below the top of the market for quarterbacks. But with the money he’s already earned and $43 million in guarantees, he’ll be closing in on $100 million in career earnings — and he turned 25 in February.

That's crazy. 100 million before he's even sniffing 30 years old. Most guys don't ever get their 100 million. Stafford got like 50 in his rookie contract. Now he's getting like 50 more, and provided he doesn't just completely fall off, he's probably gonna get another 100+ million contract in his late 20s. He's got a real chance at being the highest paid football player in history. God forbid he wins a couple playoff games or, dare I say, a title. Crazy to think about.

Edited by B-isforBowe

Matt Stafford is really teaching me a valuable life lesson. Learn how to get drafted by the Lions and throw to Calvin Johnson and you'll be a rich man.

When you consider all the leverage he had with that rookie contract being so massive, this is a great deal. He's getting paid like, 15 mill a year which is overpaying at this point, but it's much better then it would of been, and opens up a lot of space.

But in the NFL you either have a franchise QB or you don't, and Stafford has the potential to be a top 10 QB.

Holy cow. The Lions are forking over yet another 40 million guaranteed at this guy, and all he has proven is that he can stat pad when asked to throw the ball 9000 times. Andrew Luck has a lot to look forward to.

He's throwing to a Hall of Famer as well, though. For how much longer though is the real question.

Ty Hilton is gonna be in the league a while JD....

Matthew Stafford wants to attempt fewer passes this season after rattling off a league record 727 in 2012.

"A lot of the time, we were throwing the ball because of circumstance," he said. "We were behind in games late in the game and it's tough to justify handing the ball off a lot. ... At the same time we have to find a way to be more explosive in the run game and a little bit more balanced." There's almost no way Stafford will approach last year's attempts, but we'd still expect him to throw in the neighborhood of 650 times. With a base-shotgun offense, the Lions are going to remain one of the league's pass-happiest teams.

Source: detroitlions.com