Sign in to follow this  
housemd

Rams interviewed Singletary for DC job

The Rams interviewed Vikings assistant Mike Singletary for their defensive coordinator vacancy this week.

Singletary landed the title of "special assistant to the head coach" and linebackers coach with ex-Bears teammate Leslie Frazier after flaming out as the 49ers' head coach. He's overseen Chad Greenway, Erin Henderson, and Jasper Brinkley's development over the past two seasons. The Rams are in the market for a defensive coordinator after agreeing mutually to part ways with Rob Ryan.

Would be a good move in my opinion if they land him. He was a horrible head coach but I think he could very well do the Rams some good as their DC.

I have always had a bit of trepidation about ex stars being hired as coaches.

Not saying it will always fail but I think people think that people will always follow the lead of their coach. Which is not true. Especially if you are looking at the coordinator position hiring guys like that. What made Mike Singletary great can not be transferred. What made LT great can not be transferred. What made Ray Lewis great can not be transferred. What made Brian Dawkins great can not be transferred. All of these guys can definitely show you the intricacies of the game and give you a blueprint on how to be a pro. However it is hard for a guy who has had massive success to try to explain to young kids coming out of college that forgetting the personal life to study tape, the going to bed at 8 PM on road games, the being first to practices and position meetings, the extreme work ethic in the offseason that makes you ready to just step into TC's and dominate and focus on learning schemes instead of getting into shape.

Those are all intangibles that people are going to have to learn on their own in their won time. Some people will learn it quick, some will learn it slow, and some will not learn it.

Not to say they cant be great coordinators or position coaches because Kevin Greene has done some good things to clay matthews and there are others, I just think that people get too excited when people pickup legends thinking that he will turn those players into who he used to be.

Edited by Ngata_Chance

" The Rams are in the market for a defensive coordinator after agreeing mutually to part ways with Rob Ryan."

What?

Singletary would be a good hire for them IMO. He has done a good job in Minny at developing those LBers.

Singletary built the foundations for the front-7 we have today...he wasn't that great as a HC in the wholistic sense, but he would make a great DC IMO.

Singletary was on a pretty good path until he took his pants off and went crazy in S.F. As long as he kept them on during the interview, he's a solid hire.

I think Singletary would be a real good hire for the Rams because Fisher is the kind of guy who could reign him in if he gets too out of hand. At least imo. Great fit for the Rams and Singltary.

Apparently

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, the Rams "plan" to hire Lions DBs coach Tim Walton as their new defensive coordinator.

The Lions' DBs coach since 2009, Walton would seem an odd choice considering how underwhelming the Lions' secondary has been for most of the past four seasons. However, he's surely well-schooled in the Jeff Fisher philosophy of coaching via Fisher disciple Jim Schwartz, and will have veteran guiding hands in Fisher and assistant head coach Dave McGinnis. The Rams could be planning a committee approach at defensive coordinator similar to the one they employed in 2012. Walton has never worked for Fisher, so he must be coming with an extremely strong recommendation from Schwartz.