Sign in to follow this  
WindyCitySports

Is Chief Illiniwek racist?

7 members have voted

1. 1. Is Chief Illiniwek racist?

So, the official symbol of the University of Illinois, Chief Illiniwek, was retired 6 years ago this month. However, it is an understatement to say that people have not moved on. Alumni are still withholding donations, people are still wearing Chief pins on the backpacks, at every game the crowd still shouts "CHIEF!" after the 3-in-1 (when he used to dance), and tomorrow we are having university elections, which include a symbolic referendum asking, "Do you support Chief Illiniwek as the official symbol of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign?"

This vote, which I will be an enthusiastic "YES" on (despite only being symbolic), motivated me to get some outside opinions. Keep in mind that he is much different from some other Native American mascots like Florida State. So, you decide. Here is some help.

Chief logo (my avatar as well):

http://www.uofiwiki.org/w/images/3/3e/Chief_illiniwek_logo.gif

Chief dance:

Chief Wiki page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chief_Illiniwek

people need to quit being bitches about this. They did not found it so shut the hell up and drive on.

people need to quit being bitches about this. They did not found it so shut the hell up and drive on.

Why should we move on? We are paying a ton of money to attend this school, and we are supposed to sit back while a Michigan grad tells us we can't have our symbol of 80+ years? Come on.

Do you believe it it racist.

If the Sioux mascot for University of North Dakota is racist, so is this one.

Sorry, man, but I'm of the opinion that if we can't have it, nobody else can either. We didn't even have a walk-around mascot like this. We just had the image, which was very true to fact.

I think it depends on how native Americans feel about it. I know the Sioux tribe has shown support for UND so I think that's fine. I also know they hate the name redskins, so I don't think that's ok. I don't know what the opinion of Illinois is, so I don't know if it's ok or not.

I feel like this mascot thing in recent years is more the result of rich white lawyers hoping to make a buck by telling Indians that they "should be offended." What a crock of shit.

Why should we move on? We are paying a ton of money to attend this school, and we are supposed to sit back while a Michigan grad tells us we can't have our symbol of 80+ years? Come on.

Do you believe it it racist.

Going the other way with it. I mean the whole, "Oh my god this is the end of the world. It is so racist." Shut up with that shit. No it isnt. If it is that big a point of contention go to another school, quite being a pretentious douche and trying to ruin it for everybody.

In sports you have a choice who to follow and who not to. If you dont like that programs mascot or their reason behind keeping it, you should save your money and go for a school that more suits you.

This is not a big deal just people whining about the shit.

I typically read news/posts like these and roll my eyes because in the era of political correctness we are in, the protesters who cry racist or bias of any sort will always get the loudest voice.

I know in the case of Florida State, UND, and U of I, the associated Native American tribes typically are proud and supportive that their respective universities are honoring their heritage with a mascot. They receive compensation for it too, in most cases, though I don't know exactly what it is.

Protesters claim that the portrayal of the Indians is racist, however they fail to recognize that Indians are symbolic of the Great Plains' (from Oklahoma to Illinois) history.

The only situation where I could side with protesters is in the logos of the Cleveland Indians and Washington Redskins. They incorporate a few stereotypes (deep red skin, and big mouth, nose, and ears) that I think might be a bit offensive to Indians. Though even in that situation I am indifferent to any type of change.

Except telling someone to go to another school is foolish, since there isn't a better public school in Illinois. Also, I don't think having a different mascot or no mascot at all would really ruin everything. It just would make it not offensive to native americans. Obviously there is no way to please everybody, but if there is an entire ethnic group that is offended by the mascot, I don't think its a big deal to get rid of it. And before the history argument is brought up, there was a time that dressing in blackface was considered a part of history. Obviously we don't do that anymore because it was offensive. Why should this be different?

I typically read news/posts like these and roll my eyes because in the era of political correctness we are in, the protesters who cry racist or bias of any sort will always get the loudest voice.

I know in the case of Florida State, UND, and U of I, the associated Native American tribes typically are proud and supportive that their respective universities are honoring their heritage with a mascot. They receive compensation for it too, in most cases, though I don't know exactly what it is.

Protesters claim that the portrayal of the Indians is racist, however they fail to recognize that Indians are symbolic of the Great Plains' (from Oklahoma to Illinois) history.

The only situation where I could side with protesters is in the logos of the Cleveland Indians and Washington Redskins. They incorporate a few stereotypes (deep red skin, and big mouth, nose, and ears) that I think might be a bit offensive to Indians. Though even in that situation I am indifferent to any type of change.

I believe that out of those three, Florida State is the only school that currently gets to use its mascot, though. It's frustrating, and though I wish we could have kept the Sioux nickname, I found myself on the other side after so long because continuing to fight was going to hurt every athletic program except hockey, which will always dominate here.

Except telling someone to go to another school is foolish, since there isn't a better public school in Illinois. Also, I don't think having a different mascot or no mascot at all would really ruin everything. It just would make it not offensive to native americans. Obviously there is no way to please everybody, but if there is an entire ethnic group that is offended by the mascot, I don't think its a big deal to get rid of it. And before the history argument is brought up, there was a time that dressing in blackface was considered a part of history. Obviously we don't do that anymore because it was offensive. Why should this be different?

So you are saying there is something more important than a mascot ? Agreed. So those people should quit bitching and realize their education is far more important than being an overly sensitive pansy ass.

It may not ruin everything. however neither will having it.It would just make it.....the same as it has always been when people did not care. It may not be a big deal if they get rid of it, but it is not a huge deal if they keep it. So why would you force someone to change something that is not racist ? This is just some over sensitive biatches trying to be over sensitive biatches and trendsetters.

I am sure dressing up in a black face is still part of history. This is completely different so dont act like having a mascot that represents a school is the same as wearing a blackface to portray an entire race is the same thing.

I adamantly believe that people are too sensitive. I can understand this from children, but such sensitivity as adults just baffles me.

So you are saying there is something more important than a mascot ? Agreed. So those people should quit bitching and realize their education is far more important than being an overly sensitive pansy ass.

It may not ruin everything. however neither will having it.It would just make it.....the same as it has always been when people did not care. It may not be a big deal if they get rid of it, but it is not a huge deal if they keep it. So why would you force someone to change something that is not racist ? This is just some over sensitive biatches trying to be over sensitive biatches and trendsetters.

I am sure dressing up in a black face is still part of history. This is completely different so dont act like having a mascot that represents a school is the same as wearing a blackface to portray an entire race is the same thing.

Except its not different. Its using stereotypes of a culture for entertainment. Thats what blackface was. The only difference is how its treated. Now, I don't think I would ban the Illinois one because it seems like the Natives of Illinois are pretty divided about whether its ok or not, but if that were to change, as attitudes can, I think it should be banned.

It would be similar to a college in Alabama's mascot being the Birmingham Niggers. It's offensive to people, moreso than your general sports team name, therefore...it most likely won't be allowed...especially depicting a group of people that were oppressed fact based or not.

Except its not different. Its using stereotypes of a culture for entertainment. Thats what blackface was. The only difference is how its treated. Now, I don't think I would ban the Illinois one because it seems like the Natives of Illinois are pretty divided about whether its ok or not, but if that were to change, as attitudes can, I think it should be banned.

So native Americans did not have tan skin and wear head dresses ? What is offensive about that depiction if they themselves thought it to be a high honor to have a magnificent head dress ? So it is ok if they did it but not the sports fans ? Is that like only black people can use the word n***** or you are a racist ? That is retarded.

People are to sensitive and apt to get butthurt and go with the tide if people want to ban something because they think it will get them Extra credit easier than sucking off their political science teacher. Like I said earlier, if someone does not like it take their tuition money somewhere else.

I am Irish. Should I be able to change the ND symbol because I think they negatively depict Irish people with a leprachaun ? No I should not that is bullshit.

It would be similar to a college in Alabama's mascot being the Birmingham Niggers. It's offensive to people, moreso than your general sports team name, therefore...it most likely won't be allowed...especially depicting a group of people that were oppressed fact based or not.

I think they are not even on the same planet to be honest.

So native Americans did not have tan skin and wear head dresses ? What is offensive about that depiction if they themselves thought it to be a high honor to have a magnificent head dress ? So it is ok if they did it but not the sports fans ? Is that like only black people can use the word n***** or you are a racist ? That is retarded.

The Illini didn't wear long headdresses as far as I know. So no, they didn't think it was an honor. Yes their skin was tan, but black face to make white people look black looks pretty awful nowadays when looking back on it, and how is this any different?

People are to sensitive and apt to get butthurt and go with the tide if people want to ban something because they think it will get them Extra credit easier than sucking off their political science teacher. Like I said earlier, if someone does not like it take their tuition money somewhere else.

I am Irish. Should I be able to change the ND symbol because I think they negatively depict Irish people with a leprechaun ? No I should not that is bullshit.

As far as the Irish thing goes, its kinda tough shit being a white person. The Irish were a bit persecuted but not nearly to the level of black and Native Americans, and so they get less room to bitch and be sensitive. Is it fair? Not really but tough shit, that's the way it is, get used to it.

I kinda think this a non-issue and wonder why people who it doesn't effect give a shit one way or the other, to be honest. I do see why the chief could be a bit offensive to the aboriginal people in the area but don't care that much if it ever got brought back or not since it doesn't effect me.

I am Irish. Should I be able to change the ND symbol because I think they negatively depict Irish people with a leprachaun ? No I should not that is bullshit.

I dunno, but if its offensive to them, I'd say its offensive. I've never heard of an Irish person complaining about Notre Dame. Just like Sioux and Seminoles like North Dakota and Florida state. If the people as a whole don't have a problem with it, its fine. If they do, it isn't.

The Illini didn't wear long headdresses as far as I know. So no, they didn't think it was an honor. Yes their skin was tan, but black face to make white people look black looks pretty awful nowadays when looking back on it, and how is this any different?

As far as the Irish thing goes, its kinda tough shit being a white person. The Irish were a bit persecuted but not nearly to the level of black and Native Americans, and so they get less room to bitch and be sensitive. Is it fair? Not really but tough shit, that's the way it is, get used to it.

I kinda think this a non-issue and wonder why people who it doesn't effect give a shit one way or the other, to be honest. I do see why the chief could be a bit offensive to the aboriginal people in the area but don't care that much if it ever got brought back or not since it doesn't effect me.

I was speaking in more general terms as far as what people use as typical native american regalia.

I really dont care either. That is why I am saying leave the shit alone. It is not really that big of a deal that it should be changed imo. Nobody is getting hurt so just let it be.

As to the Irish thing, it does not bother me, just as a hypothetical reference. They can use the leprechaun as much as they want. He could be shitting 4 leaf clovers and I would not give a damn.

I just find it crazy how it is ok to stir up something that does not need to be. Then just forget that just about every natinoality at one point was persecuted and could have complaints about any mascot that takes human form.

The Illiniwek tribe is no longer in existence, so that is a problem. The reason FSU has been able to keep theirs is because the Seminole tribe has approved of it.

Speaking to everyone, he is actually a depiction of a Sioux indian. His dressing is Sioux and so is his face paint. I would have no problem with him changing to look like an Illiniwek native, but of course they won't accept that. They want him gone all together.

It would not be like that, because that word has an offensive context and is about an entire race. It would be more like if the team was named after a tribe in Africa. Also, the person would study with that tribe and wear clothing sold to him by the tribe.

Edited by WindyCitySports