Sign in to follow this  
Omerta

What will it take Realistically ?

This fucking MVP award ? What does it take for defense to get some love ? It has been 26 years since a defensive player has won it (LT in 86') since then 7 RB's and 19 QB's won it.

I was thinking about this during the draft. There is only 2 people I would give 2 first rounders and additional picks for in the draft, pre-draft.

One is A-Rod, the other is JJ Watt. So does JJ Watt have a shot at MVP ? I doubt it but, after the season JJ Watt just had what does a defender have to do to win it. Being reasonable. 81 tackles, 20.5 sacks, 4 FF, and 16 batted balls as a D lineman in a 3-4. What else would it take ? 100 plus tackles, sack record, 4 picks, 10 FF, and 20 pass's defensed ?

I think it is a real pain in the ass when no defender ever has a legit shot at it. I would like to see for once defense get its fair shake in the eyes of fans, players, and league brass. What about you guys ?

• Upvote 1

I totally agree, but a defensive player will never win the award in a league where QBs are king. Since 1957 only THREE players have won the award and not been either a QB or RB. It definitely sucks, but I don't see it changing any time soon. The only way it might change is if the actual players themselves got to vote on who they wanted to be MVP.

I honestly don't think it's possible in today's league. Putting up prolific numbers isn't enough when you're in a league of high scoring offenses like now. The game is geared to offensive players winning it.

Sack title, setting the record for it, being on a winning team, being on the best defense in the league AND having no spectacular QB season.

So it'll never happen.

Yeah, something along the lines of what RZ said. It is difficult to manage, because its very hard for one defensive player to matter as much as a top qb, or even a top rb. For instance, JJ Watt did have a great year, but Peterson was definitely still the right call for MVP.

Someone would have to break the sack record imo to get it. As far as last year, while I wanted Adrian Peterson to win MVP, J.J Watts season was the defensive equivalent of Adrian Petersons season. People don't recognize the magnitude of how great J.J Watts season was. So honestly, J.J Watt could have easily won Mvp as well.

Edited by dutchff7

I think one of the larger problems with a linebacker or defensive lineman winning it in todays era is the fact that people don't understand how much better NFL lineman have gotten. They are so much more talented and athletic than they were when guys like LT were destroying them. I'm not trying to take away the fact that LT was a pure monster, it's just a fact, offensive lineman have gotten better.

Voting needs to be altered or title changed. As it is, it isn't what a defensive player does it will be what a few offensive players don't do. I.e. 96 subpar seasons by #1 QB/RB/WRs happening simultaneously.

Were it a purist vote Watt would have had 2/3 vote and an offensive lineman would have won it by now.

I'm not sure it's possible for a defensive player to have a better season than JJ Swatt had last year, so after seeing that not only not win MVP but not even be in the conversation at the end of the season I'm convinced it's never going to a defensive player

Edited by oochymp