Sign in to follow this  
JetsFan4Life

Mark Sanchez - "They drafted a quarterback. Let's compete."

From the haze of an eternal quarterback drama in Florham Park, Mark Sanchez emerged Thursday to address the New York media.

Less than a week after the New York Jets plucked quarterback Geno Smith in the 2013 NFL Draft, Sanchez told NFL Network's Kimberly Jones he's "thrilled" to battle for the starting role under center.

"They drafted a quarterback," Sanchez said. "Let's compete."

Wearing a highly suspicious, green-tinged headband, Sanchez (who called the fashion choice a nod to "his inner soccer player") expressed little doubt about his future with the Jets.

Asked if he'd open the season as the team's starting passer, the four-year veteran announced, "Sure, no doubt. Of course ... you gotta own it, and compete your butt off to keep it."

Sanchez has spent the offseason working with former NFL quarterback Jeff Garcia in an effort to hit training camp fully prepped for offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg's West Coast attack. It's a scheme that arguably suits Sanchez's skill set as he enters what Jets general manager John Idzik has labeled as an "open competition" with Smith, David Garrard and Greg McElroy.

Sanchez is guaranteed $8.5 million this season, the result of one of the biggest head-scratching contract extensions of all time. But everything the Jets are doing -- cutting ties with Tim Tebow, drafting new competition -- suggests Idzik is ready to reorganize at quarterback. Still, Sanchez -- similar to an ex-girlfriend hanging around the apartment -- remains like a bad dream.

Sanchez's message to exhausted Jets fans who wander the abyss? "Hang in there and stay loyal."

That's become a tall order in New York, but Jets center Nick Mangold told Newsday's Bob Glauber on Thursday he sees something different in Sanchez this offseason; more maturity than in years past.

Going through the fire will do that to a man.

Source: NFL.com

As much as I wish Sanchez would just go away forever I guess I respect the fact he's not throwing in the towel and at least trying to put work in to be a better player.

Edited by JetsFan4Life

Buttfumble - Game over.

Sanchez would start on the Browns

• Downvote 7

None of them would.

Weeden > Jets QBs :rofl:

• Upvote 2

None of them would.

Weeden > Jets QBs :rofl:

Weeden had a lower QBR than Tebow...for what it's worth.

Because QBR is a good way to judge QB's. Rookie year comparison:

Weeden - RAT 72.6, YDS 3385, TD 14, INT 17, QBR 26.6 (With a team full of 1st and 2nd year guys)

Tebow - RAT 82.1 YDS 654, TD 5, INT 3, QBR 58.5 (Played in 9 games, didnt even throw for 1000 yards)

QBR is worthless. I heard it said that stats are like bikinis what they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

O boy, and Tebow threw a whole 8 passes all year.. Weeden played in a offense that didn't fit his style of play at all.

• Upvote 1

Is there a misunderstanding on what "for what it's worth" means?

Browns fans are pretty quick to defend their shitty quarterback compared to the Jets shitty quarterbacks....

And Bucman the QBR I stated dates back to 2010 for Tebow, not just last year.

Edited by JetsFan4Life

Is there a misunderstanding on what "for what it's worth" means?

Browns fans are pretty quick to defend their shitty quarterback compared to the Jets shitty quarterbacks....

And Bucman the QBR I stated dates back to 2010 for Tebow, not just last year.

I'm the last guy to defend Weeden, I dislike him very much and can't wait until he's off my team. I'm debating the use of QBR as a measuring stick for quarterbacks.

I'm so tired of QBs lying through their teeth. Does anyone really believe that Sanchez is "thrilled" that he has to fight for his job with 4 other guys? Does he want us to believe that the fact that his team picks up 4 other guys who they hope will be better than him due to their lack of faith in their bust QB excites him? :gtfo:

I'm sure the first thing he did after they drafted Geno Smith was call his family and say, "MOM, DAD, DID YOU HERE THE WONDERFUL NEWS?! THE JETS DRAFTED A QB TO COME TAKE MY JOB!! OH BOY, OH BOY, OH GOODIE!! I JUST CAN'T WAIT TO TAKE ON THE POSSIBILITY OF LOSING MY 7 FIGURE PAYING JOB!!!

BEST!

DAY!

EVER!

Please. None of these guys really want to be so highly doubted that their apparent replacement is brought in to take over because they can't cut it. I'm sure Alex Smith was "thrilled" about competition with Kaepernick, too.

• Upvote 1

:facepalm:

Are you really this stupid, or do you just like to :troll: all the fuckin time? :shrug:

• Downvote 2

Because QBR is a good way to judge QB's. Rookie year comparison:

Weeden - RAT 72.6, YDS 3385, TD 14, INT 17, QBR 26.6 (With a team full of 1st and 2nd year guys)

Tebow - RAT 82.1 YDS 654, TD 5, INT 3, QBR 58.5 (Played in 9 games, didnt even throw for 1000 yards)

He's 28. Do you really count this as his rookie season? :troll:

I'm so tired of QBs lying through their teeth. Does anyone really believe that Sanchez is "thrilled" that he has to fight for his job with 4 other guys? Does he want us to believe that the fact that his team picks up 4 other guys who they hope will be better than him due to their lack of faith in their bust QB excites him? :gtfo:

I'm sure the first thing he did after they drafted Geno Smith was call his family and say, "MOM, DAD, DID YOU HERE THE WONDERFUL NEWS?! THE JETS DRAFTED A QB TO COME TAKE MY JOB!! OH BOY, OH BOY, OH GOODIE!! I JUST CAN'T WAIT TO TAKE ON THE POSSIBILITY OF LOSING MY 7 FIGURE PAYING JOB!!!

BEST!

DAY!

EVER!

Please. None of these guys really want to be so highly doubted that their apparent replacement is brought in to take over because they can't cut it. I'm sure Alex Smith was "thrilled" about competition with Kaepernick, too.

Yeah, he should tell the media that he's sad they brought another guy in, so they can all call him a baby who wants his job handed to him without having to earn it.

There is no good, truthful answer that he won't get ripped for.

Are you really this stupid, or do you just like to :troll: all the fuckin time? :shrug:

I don't see how it's dumb to believe that a QB who has already put up a season better than Weeden ever will is a better QB than he is and would start over him.

I don't see how it's dumb to believe that a QB who has already put up a season better than Weeden ever will is a better QB than he is and would start over him.

Ok then lets compare rookie years

Brandon Weeden - 3,385 yards 14 TDs 17 INTs. 57.4% 3 fumbles.

Mark Sanchez - 2,444 yards 12 TDs 20 INTs. 53.8%. 10 fumbles.

I'll take Weedens rookie year or Sanchez. Who had a great run game and Defense that carried his sorry ass. The only thing Sanchez beat Weeden in, is yards per throw.

And Cardinal, you're the village idiot of the board.

Edited by Bucman

Is it fair to compare the rookie year of a 28 year old to the rookie year of of a guy who started one season above the high school level?

You guys are arguing shitty versus shittier, they're both dog crap QBs.

Pot calling the kettle black. :rofl:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Is it fair to compare the rookie year of a 28 year old to the rookie year of of a guy who started one season above the high school level?

Why wouldn't it be? Both guys were rookies, I don't care what you did before that.

Yeah, he should tell the media that he's sad they brought another guy in, so they can all call him a baby who wants his job handed to him without having to earn it.

There is no good, truthful answer that he won't get ripped for.

Of course there is: the truth. No one would rip him any more than they already do if he said, "Obviously it's a little disappointing. I want to remain the starter. No one wants to lose their job, but it is what it is. I'm just gonna bust my ass and do everything I can do prove that I'm the best man for the job."

No whining, no crying, no calling guys out. Just the truth. What about that sounds like something rip-worthy?

Of course there is: the truth. No one would rip him any more than they already do if he said, "Obviously it's a little disappointing. I want to remain the starter. No one wants to lose their job, but it is what it is. I'm just gonna bust my ass and do everything I can do prove that I'm the best man for the job."

No whining, no crying, no calling guys out. Just the truth. What about that sounds like something rip-worthy?

It sounds like prime rip-worthy material for the NY papers who look for anything to make fun of the Jets for

Sanchez should choke Geno and break his collarbone.

Sanchez should choke Geno and break his collarbone.

LOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLL

THAT'S HILARIOUS BRO

LOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLL

THAT'S HILARIOUS BRO

I know, right?

I know, right?

He deserves it.

I don't get it. Is that a reference to something, or just needlessly violent?