Sign in to follow this  
Dutch

Eagles State of the Franchise 2013

NzpE4np.jpg

B-Dawk and the Eagles rookies at the NFL Rookie Symposium :rockon:

After studying Michael Vick's 2012 plays and Chip Kelly's Oregon offense, ESPN's Ron Jaworski gets the "initial sense" that Kelly's system will fit Vick "very well."

Jaws called Vick "the most talented quarterback on the Eagles' roster" and hinted he expects Vick to beat out Nick Foles. "Here's the positive as the Eagles transition to Kelly's shotgun-spread attack:" Jaworski stated. "Vick was outstanding in the two-minute offense last season with a QB rating of 98. I am going to be fascinated to see Vick in Chip Kelly's up-tempo speed offense." Vick will be an intriguing, boom-or-bust QB2 pick in fantasy leagues.

CSN Philly considers Nick Foles the leader in the Eagles' quarterback competition.

Beat writer Geoff Mosher believes Chip Kelly's selection of Matt Barkley signaled he was serious when insisting his offense didn't require a mobile passer. Mosher also contends Foles and Michael Vick's 50-50 timeshare in OTAs "further fostered the idea" that Kelly will select the quarterback with the best overall skill-set, and not just athleticism. We've been skeptical there's a true competition in Philly, but there's enough smoke to suggest Foles at least has an outside shot. It's just hard to get past the $3.5 million signing bonus the Eagles paid Vick.

CSN Philly contends that Michael Vick "has the toughest road to the starting job" in the Eagles' quarterback competition.

His one-year, $7.5 million contract — which includes a $3.5 million signing bonus — disagrees. Beat writer Geoff Mosher zeroes in on Vick's age (33) and salary as factors working against him, but we'd argue the $3.5 million guarantee the Eagles made in February very much works in his favor. We suppose the Eagles could decide to save $4 million by cutting Vick or demanding a pay-cut if he doesn't show well in camp, but it's unlikely. Coach Chip Kelly has done his best to create an air of uncertainty about his QB race, but Vick is still the favorite.

Source: CSN Philly

Defense: On Chip Kelly, Billy Davis And Takeaways

http://www.phillymag.com/eagles/2013/07/03/on-chip-kelly-billy-davis-and-takeaways/

With personnel uncertainties abound and a massive overhaul underway, it’s questionable whether this defense can hold its own in a 16-round bout in 2013. But based on the histories of Chip Kelly and Billy Davis, if the ‘D’ goes down it will go down swinging.

“In terms of what we want to be, we’re going to be an attacking style defense. It’s going to be a group of people who dictates the tempo of the game,” said Kelly.

“I think it’s hopefully going to be a defense that creates a lot of turnovers and gets the ball back to our offense so we can be productive on our offensive side of the ball.”

That’s exactly what Kelly’s defense did for him at Oregon. The Ducks led the entire nation with 131 takeaways from 2009-2012. Forty of those came in ’12 alone.

Davis’ defenses have been known to create turnovers as well. With Davis serving as the defensive coordinator, the Cardinals came up with 21 interceptions in 2009, which was the highest mark for the franchise in since ’94. The following season, Arizona recorded 12 return touchdowns (7 fumble returns, 3 interception returns, 2 kickoff returns), the second-highest single-season total in NFL history. The seven fumble returns for scores established a new league record.

Those defenses only ranked 20th and 29th overall, respectively, but they did get their hands on the ball. His units in San Francisco also finished in the top-half of the league in takeaways despite being in the basement when it came to total yards.

“In my past I’ve got good stats and I’ve got bad stats, like most people,” said Davis. “There are a lot of reasons for all of it, I’ve got no excuses for any of them. Everywhere I’ve been I have had good people, I’ve learned lessons from those experiences and I think I have gotten better because of it. It’s something I’m bringing to the Eagles now, I’ve got some experience in calling games and working schemes and game-planning and adjusting. At the end of the day we’re problem solvers. You learn from your experience and you move forward.”

Kelly said that Davis’ experience running both a 4-3 and 3-4 made him an appealing candidate. Kelly is big on versatility; he likes his defense to be malleable and able to deploy multiple fronts. Davis’ background and general philosophy falls in line with that.

The Eagles’ defense promises to be big on pressure, or at least the “illusion” of pressure, something that the late Jim Johnson was a master at.

“Now he had some great dynamic pressures, and I’ve studied a lot of them,” Davis said. “They were out-of-the-box thinking. But when you really break him down, it was more guys up in the A-gaps with the illusion of pressure than actual [sending] more than four rushers.”

From what we’ve learned so far, this defense will be big on multiple looks and disguises. It will attack in the name of turnovers. What we don’t know is whether their efforts will be successful, especially early on.

Interesting read. Like I've said before, defense is the biggest question mark on our team (outside QB) with all the new pieces and adding in the 3-4. I already expect our offense will have to score about 24-27 points per game to get some wins. If they can put this defense together to get some turnovers, that would be awesome because that's a department we've been doing bad at for a long time. That would help out substantially if our offense can prove to be even somewhat consistent. I wouldn't mind if our defense shaped out to be like the Packers 2011 defense. They gave up a bunch of yards and was in the middle of the pack in points per game allowed, but they had a lot of turnovers which helped them win games. I'd be fine with that. Can't wait to see how everything shapes out.

Brandon Graham preparing for position switch

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/03/brandon-graham-preparing-for-position-switch/

Eagles defensive end Brandon Graham hasn’t necessarily been told he’s playing outside linebacker, but he’s certainly preparing that way.

Graham said, via Zach Berman of the Philadelphia Inquirer, that he hadn’t been told what position he’d play in the Eagles’ new 3-4 system.

But it’s easy to see where he’s leaning. He’s working to get from 270 pound down to 260, and he’s been working with Steelers outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley on his technique.

“There’s been a lot of talk about a lot of things,” Graham said. “I don’t know where they want to put me at. All I know is wherever they put me, I’ll go full out. . . .

“I’m hoping everything carries over with the adjustments I have to make. But at the same time, rushing the passer is rushing the passer. That’s a strength of mine, and I just need to get it a lot better to get it where we need to go.”

Graham began his college career as a linebacker before growing out of it, and a change is just another in a long line, as he’s had to adjust to different schemes and deal with injuries throughout his career. He’s also not the kind of long-limbed defender new coach Chip Kelly prefers, adding another obstacle to his transition.

“I haven’t had a whole full year of just playing where I know I can play,” Graham said. “Everything’s always switching. We had a new D-line coach last year when everything started getting better. Now we have a new coach. But I’m always going to adjust.”

He’s going to need to do it quickly, as well. The former first-round pick has 8.5 sacks in three seasons. And though he finished well last year, the new regime isn’t going to have the same kind of tie to a former pick, so they’ll want to see production, fast.

I for one believe Graham is going to destroy the league this year. He played so hungry last year and was a problem with the limited opportunities he had. His pressure rate was ridiculous. Outside of his brief last season play, there isn't much on Graham footage wise. So this may sound homerish but I think (hope) he's going to get about 14 sacks. I believe this is his break out year that is much needed with the new regime.

Eagles' Lane Johnson says he doesn't want to hold out

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000217029/article/eagles-lane-johnson-says-he-doesnt-want-to-hold-out

Lane Johnson is one of the 20 first-round picks yet to sign his rookie contract. With less than two weeks until the Philadelphia Eagles rookies report for training camp, the dreaded "holdout" word will be dredged up.

Johnson, however, believes he'll have a contract before that happens.

"I think it will be resolved, especially in the next week or two," Johnson told PhillyMag.com's Tim McManus on Tuesday. "I don't want to hold out. I want to be there with the guys. I want to be with the team and I think something will happen in the next week or so."

The CBA has rendered old school rookie holdouts obsolete, as the only real bargaining to be done is over offset language. (From NFL.com's Ian Rapoport: "Offset language is what teams covet. No offset language -- double-dipping -- benefits the players.")

The Detroit Lions' Ziggy Ansah and the Jacksonville Jaguars' Luke Joeckel are the only two players among the first five taken in the 2013 NFL Draft to sign contracts, and both excluded offset language. Johnson, along with other top five players Eric Fisher and Dion Jordan, are fighting for the same.

"I'm just trying to get a similar deal to everyone else," Johnson said. "I just want to do what everyone else has done, the picks above and below me."

I won't worry until training camp actually gets here http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/afootball?p0=198&iso=20130722T08&year=2013&month=7&day=22&hour=8&min=0&sec=0&msg=Training%20camp&fg1=9acd79&fg2=b3b3b3.

He needs to be there with the rest of the team.

Philadelphia Eagles training camp preview: LeSean McCoy will get all the action he can handle out of the backfield

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/07/philadelphia_eagles_training_c_1.html

The Philadelphia Eagles' quarterback position has drawn the most headlines since Chip Kelly was hired to replace Andy Reid, but the team's running backs might reap the most rewards from the new offense Kelly brings with him.

There's action. Lots of action. A fast pace. Carries and short passes. Screens. Kelly will deploy all kinds of unique tactics to get the ball in the hands of his running backs, and he just so happens to inherit an ideal fit for that philosophy.

LeSean McCoy averages 4.6 yards per carry over his four-year career, but has made his mark with his ability to catch the ball out of the backfield. He's averaged 55 catches per season, including a career-high 78 for 592 yards in his first full season as a starter in 2010.

McCoy rushed for just 840 yards last season, but missed four games with a concussion and ran behind a depleted offensive line missing three key starters. With better health, for both McCoy and the big boys in front of him, there's every reason to expect a big rebound from No. 25.

But the Eagles' backfield, of course, goes beyond McCoy. Second-year back Bryce Brown emerged in McCoy's absence with back-to-back huge performances in Weeks 11 and 12. He combined for 347 yards and four touchdowns in losses to the Carolina Panthers and Dallas Cowboys, en route to a 564-yard rookie campaign.

Chris Polk has promise, but was limited last season because of a toe injury. He got competition in the offseason when the team signed free agent Felix Jones. Rookie free agent Matthew Tucker is in the mix, as well.

Here's a look at a state of the position in advance of training camp, which begins July 26 at the NovaCare Complex in Philadelphia.

PROJECTED STARTER

LeSean McCoy: McCoy's production slipped to career-low levels last season, in part because of a concussion that sidelined him for four games and behind a banged-up offensive line that lacked continuity. McCoy's dynamic abilities figure to be on display in Chip Kelly's new offense, which will emphasize the run and McCoy's ability to catch the ball out of the backfield. A return to the Pro Bowl appears likely.

KEY RESERVES

Bryce Brown: One of the silver linings from a disappointing season was the emergence of Brown, who rushed for 564 yards and four touchdowns as a rookie seventh-round pick. With Kelly's fast-paced offense, depth will be vital at the running back position, making Brown a good choice to repeat last season's numbers, regardless of McCoy's health.

Chris Polk: Polk, who signed as an undrafted free agent last season, played sparingly before injuring his toe midway through the season. If healthy, he could force the issue for carries, especially if the Eagles utilize multiple backs and push the tempo with plays in bunches.

NEW FACES TO WATCH

Felix Jones: Jones arrives in Philadelphia after a disappointing end to his tenure with the Dallas Cowboys. A former first-round pick, Jones performed well in spot duties, but his game never translated as a full-time starter. With the Eagles, his quickness and kick return abilities will be assets as he vies for time behind McCoy and Brown.

Matthew Tucker: Tucker, a rookie free agent, rushed for 505 yards on 118 carries and led TCU with six rushing touchdowns as a senior in 2012. He ranks third in school history with 33 career touchdowns and 10th with 2,602 career rushing yards. He'll compete with Jones for a roster spot.

KEY LOSSES

Dion Lewis: Lewis was traded to the Cleveland Browns for linebacker Emmanuel Acho before the NFL draft. The third-year back from Pitt rushed for 171 yards on 36 carries in two seasons with the Eagles. He was a fifth-round pick in the 2011 NFL draft.

PROJECTED DEPTH CHART

1. LeSean McCoy

2. Bryce Brown

3. Felix Jones

4. Chris Polk

5. Matthew Tucker

This was pretty much expected but it just makes me happy. While us Eagles fans may have our own preferences in who we may want to see start, the QB position is still up for grabs and it's safe to say since training camp isn't here yet, there may not be a real frontrunner. But I do take a lot of confidence knowing that Lesean Mccoy will be the focal point of our offense; the running game in general. I think a team that is effective and very strong in the running game can control and dictate the game even in today's passing league; you just have to capitalize off of opportunities and I think Mccoy is the back that can do that if given the opportunities. I believe Mccoy is going to have his best season to date and have career highs in rushing and receiving yards. He's such a dangerous player and was being under utilized and misused with Andy Reid muting his potential.

I'm also optimistic with Bryce Brown and his presumed increase role in the offense as well. I think he would be a great change of pace back. Mccoy is an agility side to side shifty runner and Bryce is a uphill runner that hits the hole and has some good speed to him as well. Bryce just has to clean up those fumbles. That's easily coachable so hopefully he gets that situated. With how much we are expected to run the ball, I believe we will benefit having two change of pace running backs adds another element to our rushing game which defense have to account for. I think a good portion of our success on offense will rely on how successful our running game is. If we can get running game on track, whoever is starting at QB will definitely have an easier job. It will make us more dangerous and teams will have to account for the play action and if our offensive line will be as good as I think it may be, it will bode well for our signal caller. I just can't wait to see how this pans out.

Five Tough Questions for Eagles Training Camp: Tight End

http://the700level.com/eagles/five-tough-questions-for-eagles-training-camp-tight-end/

Is Brent Celek being phased out of the Eagles’ offense?

source: Not yet he isn’t. Initially things weren’t looking so great for Celek after the Eagles went out and signed free agent James Casey and drafted Zach Ertz in the second round (No. 35 overall), but there should be more than enough snaps to go around.

He might not be on the field for 75% of the plays like he used to under Andy Reid, however Celek still possesses plenty of value. He brings a slightly different skill set to the party than the other two – more proven as a vertical threat than Casey, who recorded a career high with 330 yards receiving last season, not to mention Celek is a capable blocker unlike Ertz, who is described as needing work in that aspect of his game.

It’s not like Celek is old – he’s 28, and Casey is actually older by eight months – plus while his contract allows the team to dump him after this season, his 2014 salary of $4 million is not an excessive figure for a player who’s averaged 59 catches, 744 yards, and 4.5 touchdowns over the past four seasons. Those aren’t quite Pro-Bowl numbers, but they’re certainly solid.

They’re also far better than what Casey or Ertz have ever produced in the NFL. With tight end becoming a focal point in the Eagles’ offense, Chip Kelly may eventually want an upgrade over Celek, but it’s not like decent receiving tight ends that can also block a little bit grow on trees. Expect him to thrive for at least another season or two, and don’t be surprised if he’s here longer.

Exactly what does James Casey bring to the table?

source: A little bit of everything. To the casual observer with a tendency to focus on statistics, Casey would not appear to be a very major signing at all. He recorded new personal bests with 34 receptions, 330 yards, and three touchdowns on the Houston Texans last season, which are essentially replacement-level totals.

Casey, who signed for three years/$12 million, figures to be featured more prominently in Chip Kelly’s scheme, although he won’t necessarily shatter those career numbers. Jimmy Kempski of Blogging the Beast once called him a Swiss army knife H-back. He has the size (6-3, 240) and athleticism to run a route and haul in a pass, but he can move around the formation and block on the line of scrimmage or in the backfield. He can be a lead blocker in the running game, or even take a handoff himself.

A fifth-round pick in ’09, Casey isn’t suddenly going to break the mold. He may never get the accolades or the trips to Honolulu. This is a gritty player though, one who will perform many different duties at an adequate-to-above-average capacity. The Eagles needed more players who were willing to do the dirty work, and it appears they found a good one in Casey.

What should we expect from Zach Ertz in his rookie season?

source: Don’t go overboard. If all goes according to plan, Ertz could eventually develop into one of the most dangerous weapons on the team, but there is reason to believe he could be brought along slowly as a rookie.

For one, as was already touched on, Ertz isn’t supposed to be much of a blocker. That’s no small detail, as blocking is typically a fairly large part of the job description for most tight ends. Guys can get away with being more receiver-inclined when they’re putting up big numbers, but Ertz is starting from the bottom, so he’ll likely have to improve that aspect of his game to earn the trust of the coaching staff.

There’s also no rush to get the Stanford product on the field. Celek is a fine tight end, and Casey’s role will be a little more unique. Add in the fact that Ertz may have fallen a little behind after missing some of the Birds’ offseason programs (by NFL rule), and you can begin to understand why expectations should be kept in check.

The one area where I could see Ertz making an immediate impact is inside the red zone. The Eagles have struggled down by the goal line for what seems like an eternity, and Ertz has the size (6-5, 249) and athleticism to create match-up problems for defenses. He could easily lead the club’s tight ends in touchdown catches this season.

Can Clay Harbor make the team?

Outlook not great, but yeah, he has a chance. The writing is usually on the wall whenever a head coach starts asking a depth player like Harbor to try out on the opposite side of the ball. Not to make too much of Harbor getting a look for one day at outside linebacker, but given the rather crowded field of tight ends, he was already considered to be on the fringe at best.

That said, he’s not out the door just yet. His job depends first on how many tight ends Chip Kelly decides to carry on his 53-man roster. If the number is four (or higher), Harbor might have the inside track to the final spot. He plays on special teams, which will be a must here, is a willing blocker, and you can do worse in terms of an athlete.

The Eagles used a fourth-round pick on Harbor out of tiny Missouri St. in 2010, and while he’s likely past ever realizing potential as a pass-catching threat, the 26 year old has some tools to work with. He’ll face some competition from Derek Carrier and Will Shaw, and there’s no guarantee Chip keeps more than three, but Harbor’s got a fighting chance.

Will tight end replace wide receiver in the Chip Kelly’s system?

Replace is probably too strong of a word. One thing is for certain though, and that is we never would have been able to come up with five questions exclusively about tight ends during the Andy Reid era. This one comes about from a piece by Dan Klausner for Bleeding Green Nation in which the writer suggested soon there would not be any differentiation between receiver and tight end in the Eagles’ system.

Anybody can plainly see tight end is going to be a focal point of the offense based on the front office’s aggressive pursuit of Casey and Ertz during the offseason. Casey was a day-one signing in free agency, while a second-round pick for Ertz was a luxury some analysts suggested the Eagles couldn’t afford to use on the position. The NFL as a whole might be trending increasingly toward tight-end powered offenses as well after seeing what the New England Patriots have done the last couple seasons. These guys are typically all 6-3 or taller and in excess of 250-lbs., so putting two or even three of them on the field at the same time creates match-up problems in both the passing and running games.

What if all of a team’s skill players looked like that? The Eagles did attempt to add size to their receiving corps, trading for Arrelious Benn(6-2) and giving Ifeanyi Momah (6-7) a shot.

Wide receiver will always be prevalent however because speed kills. A player with DeSean Jackson’s 4.3 burners – rare in general, rarer for a big man – on the outside stretches the field. An elusive player such as Damaris Johnson can run free out of the slot without getting pressed at the line of scrimmage, and slip into openings in the coverage much more quickly. It seems foolish not to try and utilize all of that. That makes the offense more dynamic/flexible.

So while tight end figures to be a central part of the game plan on Sundays much more heavily than ever before and increasingly so, it’s not like the wide receiver position is going extinct in Philly.

I agree and think it will be very interesting to see how Chip Kelly utilizes our TE's. Celek will still be the starter. I think he's slightly underrated and a good TE. Casey has me intrigued the most though. The reason why is because he's the most unique and his versatility I think will make him a threat. He's a solid TE when lined up on the LoS but he can also be lined up and be a lead blocker in the back field; or be lined up in the back field as a lead blocker and be a viable passing option. I predict much trickery on that part. Ertz has me the most excited though. I think he really has the potential to become a great TE in this league. He's our first TE that fits the athletic explosive mold that you see coming into the league today. I have high hopes for this kid. I don't expect him to come right out and blow the league up, but I expect him to develop into that kind of caliber player. I can see Chip against linebackers splitting the TE's out wide creating match up problems. I can also see Chip splitting the TEs out wide against nickelback corners and then running the ball. Nonetheless, however he used them, I can't wait to see it.

Kelly In Depth On QB Competition

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/article-1/Kelly-In-Depth-On-QB-Competition/1ad7a510-f194-4b63-9123-a4cee924e910

With the start of Training Camp just around the corner, the biggest question, of course, is who will end up wrestling away the job of starting quarterback for Chip Kelly's first season as head coach of the Eagles. Kelly has said all along that he'll let the competition play out on the field, but he did give some insight into what he'll be looking for over the next couple months during a roundtable discussion with reporters a few weeks ago. For starters, Kelly explained why he hasn't yet settled on a No. 1 quarterback.

"I just got here," he said. "Who was the starting quarterback last year going into camp for the 49ers? And who was the starting quarterback who finished the season? Who was the starting quarterback [in camp] for the Seattle Seahawks? Matt Flynn. Who was the starting quarterback [at the end of the season]? Russell Wilson. Now, (Jim Harbaugh and Pete Carroll) are two guys that I respect the heck out of, I've coached against both of those guys. They're tremendous coaches. They named their starting quarterback and then they had a competition, and the other guy won the job. If I name one, what am I going to gain? How do I name him in my position? We've been out there in shorts and T-shirts since April 1, and I'm going to name a starting quarterback out of that? They haven't been hit, there's been no rush, I don't think it's fair."

Meanwhile, Kelly said, the competition for the position is never over, even after a starter has been named.

"I reserve the right to change anything," he said. "The best players play, and just because you're the starter, you still need to understand that it's always on the line. It's on the line every single day for you. So if I name Joe Jones the starting quarterback and his first 50 passes are interceptions, I better make sure I go to the number two guy. Just because they were named the starter, that's not it. Now what's the next step? Just because you get drafted, you didn't make the NFL. Now you've got to make the team. Now you make the team, you've got to become the starter. Now when you've become the starter, now what do you do? Now what's the next step? You have to be successful."

Kelly added that his goal is not to find the best quarterback for the Eagles three years down the road, but rather to identify the quarterback who will best lead the team in 2013.

"My job is to win right now," said Kelly. "How do you think I'd be perceived in Philly if I told them we were going to write this year off? Those people that are waving to me on the streets right now, that isn't going to happen. But that's never been my mentality either. We're not writing anything off. We're going out there to compete and see how it falls. But that's never been a mentality of anybody on our staff or anybody in our locker room. You want to talk about our players buying in, if I went into the locker room and said this is going to be a real good year for us to get ready for the following year, that's not going to work. No one has a mindset like that. Our decision isn't based upon 'What is the future two years down the road, three years down the road?' I don't think that far."

Here's a rundown of everything else Kelly said about the upcoming quarterback competition …

On how he and his staff evaluate the quarterback position: "There are a lot of things. It starts with their eyes and where are they throwing the ball, because the eyes lead the body, and then a lot of the accuracy issues that occur with anybody throwing the football go with footwork. Is your body aligned with your target in terms of where you're trying to place the ball? So, it's the whole body in terms of where you are throwing the football, from your feet up to your eyes."

On improving quarterback mechanics: "There are drills. There are fundamentals to any sport and I think you have to continue to work on them on a daily basis. [Quarterbacks coach Bill Lazor] has done a great job with our quarterbacks since we've been together on working on that. It's not something where we say 'we can't', but there are some times when you see guys, and for us it's more of an evaluation process of 'you're not going to be able to throw the ball, and we need to throw the ball.' There are two ways of getting better, either elite selection or elite training, but it's a lot easier to train someone who has the ability to do it, then to say 'hey, we can teach him.'"

On identifying and correcting quarterback mechanics at the pro level: "You can see [issues] but a lot of times when they get to this level, if that's the way that they do it, you're not going to be able to change it in time because they've thrown it that way for thousands and thousands of hours of throwing the ball and that's just how they throw it."

On evaluating quarterback intangibles: "I think that they have to be good decision makers, and I think that's the biggest thing for that position is how do you make decisions in the heat of the moment, and do you see those over time, and that's what (Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota) does right now. He was a really good decision-maker and that's part of the whole process, but I think that's a tough thing to evaluate. A lot of guys get evaluated at a combine, where they don't have to make decisions. They get to drop back and throw it to that. You don't get to see that unless you get to see them in person and spend time with them. That's a hard thing to do. We were fortunate, in Marcus's situation. He came to our camp, so we got to spend a week with him."

On whether or not the staff can evaluate quarterback decisions during the preseason: "The best part about it is that we have to. I can't call a timeout and say we're not ready. We're going to have to name a starter at some point in time. That's why I think it would be unfair to do one right now because there haven't been enough situations to evaluate. If someone says 'Hey, we've got to play a game tomorrow', then we've got to make a decision. But we don't have to play a game tomorrow. We have until September 9th, so we'll see how that works itself out, but as I've said before, with a big decision like that, you've got to make sure you take the whole body of work into consideration. If on practice three they had a [bad] practice, do they come back in practice four and bounce back pretty good? Or do you make your decision after practice three? We're not forced to make a decision soon, and I don't think the positives of making an early decision outweigh making sure we make the right decision."

On the quarterbacks feeling tense during the competition: "I think [they do], but I don't know. Can it get tense? Yeah, people are competing for a starting job in the NFL, but it's no different than any other position. I understand the game. More scrutiny is placed on the quarterback position than anything else, but there's no difference with who's your safety or who's your linebacker. There's competition at every spot. Those guys can get testy too. It's the nature of the game. Every time we've needed to make a decision on the quarterbacks, every day you come off the practice field, they all want to know how the quarterbacks did. No one was like 'How did the gunner on the punt team do? Have you made your decision on that?' Still, as coaches, we evaluate every position the same way we evaluate the quarterback position."

On having a quarterback competition among more than two players: "I've had more than two in the past. It just depends. Everywhere I've been, it's played itself out on the field. Does that mean it's going to happen here? I don't know. But I've never been in a situation where we had to make the decision where it's 50-50 and we have to pick it out of a hat. Somebody, over the course of time, has stepped up and has 'won the battle'. That's what you're hoping to have happen again here, and hopefully it's evident to everybody that it's this guy because this guy stepped up."

On quarterback playing time during the pre-season: "That's the big question. How much of a body of work can you give those guys? It's the same thing we talked about from a practice standpoint of being physical, is how much are we going to get enough to evaluate them, but also mindful that we can't get them injured either. There's a delicate line there."

On evaluating quarterbacks based on previous years: "I know what their skill set is, but it's very hard for me to evaluate the body of work because you don't know what they were instructed to do. When you see a play call at the bottom of the computer screen, you don't know what Marty [Mornhinweg] told him to do on that play, and when he throws it away you're like 'boy, that's a bad decision', but then he may have been told to throw it away. Unless you intimately understand what they were told to do, then how can you make an evaluation on whether that was the right thing to do or the wrong thing to do? It could have been, 'I don't care what happens, throw the ball to the tight end', and then you watch the film and say 'Jeez, he really forced that one in there.' Well he may have been told to force that one in there, so when we evaluated and we were looking at skill set: do they have the arm velocity? Do they have the ability? But our evaluation has to be from when we got our hands on them April 1st until we get here in August just because I don't know what they were taught. I wasn't here in the past."

On how pre-season quarterback injuries could affect competition: "I don't deal with hypotheticals. That's another reason I've always said 'Why would you name a starting quarterback?' when a guy goes out and on the second day- we name Joe Jones our starting quarterback- and then on the second day of preseason camp he rolls his ankle and is done for the year. There's nothing to gain. I've always had that part of it. So in terms of the hypothetical if the guy gets hurt? Yeah, he's not going to be in the mix."

On players voicing their frustration if they aren't starting: "That doesn't bother me."

On the importance of a quarterback making correct pre-snap reads: "It depends on what you're doing, but it's huge, understanding what the defense is doing and conceptually what we're trying to get accomplished. There are certain run plays we can run off of any look, where the pre-snap read isn't that important, but there are certain plays in the run game- some in the run game and a lot in the passing game- that you need to understand what you're going against."

On the importance on evaluating quarterbacks based on game performances: "There's a difference in a game, no matter who it is, and there are still differences between practices and games. They're at the US Open right now, and they're going to hit five balls onto the green. Then on Thursday, they're only hitting one ball onto the green. So it's a different US Open on Wednesday that it is on Thursday. It's a different deal, but that's what competition does, and that's the unique thing about it. At least a preseason game is different than a controlled practice, and we're going to have to be judges off of that because we aren't tackling our quarterbacks in scrimmages, but I don't think we can make that pact with anybody else in the preseason games. Then you become a different guy when you can actually be hit. There's a feeling, when you're a quarterback wearing a red jersey, of these guys aren't going to hit me. That's a different deal. The Patriots are going to hit him. The Jaguars are going to hit him, and the Panthers are going to hit him, and that's a different deal. Guys act a little differently when that happens, so we have to put them in that position to evaluate them from that standpoint."

This is an interesting read in my opinion. I've been so relieved to hear how serious Chip Kelly is taking this QB competition; apparently it seems to be correlating to every position as well. He seems that he will do a very thorough evaluation and put the most deserving and best QB out on the field. No free rides. I can't wait until training camp to get this real QB competition started; with the pads on. I'm also dying for the preseason. Can't wait to see how this unfolds. It's going to be a very exciting offseason within the next couple of weeks.

Edited by dutchff7

Three-And-Out: Interior O-Line

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/article-1/Three-And-Out-Interior-O-Line/4bd4b8bc-1404-4eca-9c49-28c6afd12063

Next up in our position-by-position preview of Training Camp (now only 10 days away), we turn to the interior offensive line, where the likely starting group includes two players returning from injury ...

1. How Ready Is Jason Kelce?

Jason Kelce and Evan Mathis

Primed for a big second season, Jason Kelce suffered a season-ending torn ACL in Week 2 of the 2012 season. After a long rehab, Kelce returned to action on a limited basis in the spring but there's still a sense of intrigue regarding whether he'll be able to go full force come Training Camp. But Kelce has said all offseason that he believes he'll be 100 percent come the start of camp.

"I expect to hit the ground running full-go just like everybody else out there," he said.

Kelce's presence in the middle would be a boon to the offensive line as he would appear to be an ideal fit for the offense. Among the most athletic centers in the league, Kelce is also smart enough to handle the rigors of the pre-snap responsibilities. After a season in which the offensive line was ravaged by injury, there will be some serious comfort in seeing the five starting offensive linemen working together throughout camp.

Behind Kelce, meanwhile, is Dallas Reynolds, who filled in quite well in Kelce's place. He'll aim to prove that he fits in the offense as well and will be challenged by veteran Matt Tennant and undrafted rookie Kyle Quinn.

2. How Smooth Will Todd Herremans' Transition Be?

Herremans has been the jack of all trades for the Eagles offensive line since he was drafted in the fourth round of the 2005 NFL Draft. He's started 100 games for the Eagles since then, split between three positions – left tackle (six starts), right tackle (23 starts) and left guard (71 starts).

You'll notice, of course, that Herremans has yet to start a game at right guard, where he lined up throughout most of the spring as first-round pick Lane Johnson was slotted into the right tackle spot. But Herremans doesn't expect the transition to be too difficult.

"When I was working at right tackle for the first (veteran) camp and those little individual periods, we weren't just learning the position, they were teaching the whole scheme," Herremans said. "So it hasn't really been that hard of a switch. I'm still trying to stay fluid for whatever they want. Everything seems to be going well."

3. Who Will Emerge As The Top Backups?

Since he already returned to action following a minor ankle procedure, the only real question facing Evan Mathis is whether the good folks over at ProFootballFocus will ever pony up the cost to sponsor Mathis' Pro-Football-Reference page. So we move on from the starters to the group of players competing for a role on the 2013 roster.

The most intriguing player among those jockeying for spots is former first-round pick Danny Watkins, who seems reenergized by the offseason of change. Watkins, 28, still has the talent to succeed as a guard, especially in the running game, and he's been cross-training between left and right guard for the first time, which only increases his potential value.

Dennis Kelly would seem to be a frontrunner a roster spot, as he has the versatility to start at both tackle and guard, despite his mammoth 6-foot-8 frame. Beyond that, the roster battles will take place on the NovaCare practice field throughout the preseason. Will a veteran like Allen Barbre or Matt Kopa emerge? Will it be a young veteran like Julian Vandervelde or Nate Menkin? Or will a rookie like Quinn or Matt Tobin show enough promise to stay on the radar? Those are questions on the periphery of the roster that we'll continue to follow throughout the next couple months.

If our O-line is healthy, I strongly believe that we will have one of the best O-lines in football. I think we will be very strong in the run game and possibly be a top 5 rushing team; one of the units I am very excited about.

Three-And-Out: Defensive Tackle

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/article-1/Three-And-Out-Defensive-Tackle/bc3e6d97-e4d9-4825-87df-41af03c87bde

The rookies and selected veterans report to the NovaCare Complex a week from Monday for the start of Chip Kelly's first Training Camp as head coach of the Philadelphia Eagles. As part of our Training Camp preview, we are looking at the three biggest questions facing each position group. Here, the focus shifts to the defensive side of the football beginning with the defensive tackle position.

1. Are The Eagles Prepared To Play A Hybrid Front?

Defensive coordinator Bill Davis is going to run a hybrid scheme with a mixture of four-man fronts and three-man fronts. The Eagles were exclusively a 4-3 defense prior to Kelly's arrival in Philadelphia. The Eagles acquired some players prior to this offseason who are scheme versatile such as Fletcher Cox and Antonio Dixon. On the first day of free agency, the Eagles signed defensive lineman Isaac Sopoaga, who at 6-2, 330 pounds, is ideal for occupying blockers in the middle of the line.

In fact, impressive size can be found up and down the depth chart at the defensive tackle position. Each of the defensive tackles on the Eagles' roster is listed over 300 pounds. Fan-Demonium columnist Tommy Lawlor did an outstanding job of extrapolating what that will mean for the Eagles.

Defensive line/assistant head coach Jerry Azzinaro was known for rotating his lineman while at Oregon and is expected to do the same in the NFL. Sopoaga, who is entering his 10th season, played 395 snaps last season per Pro Football Focus. He played 489 snaps in 2011. Sopoaga will bring passion and leadership to the defensive line, but others will have to contribute. As a rookie last year, Cox played 526 snaps per Pro Football Focus. There's Dixon who ascended to a starting role in his first tenure with the Eagles before being miscast to play in former defensive line coach Jim Washburn's system.

DT Fletcher Cox

Cedric Thornton came on strong at the end of his first full season on the 53-man roster and is in position to start at end along with Cox when the Eagles show a 3-4 look. Thornton can slide inside when the Eagles go with four down linemen. Third-round pick Bennie Logan is another versatile piece who can play the nose and defensive tackle as well. Logan was a key cog on some very good LSU defenses and had no problem doing the dirty work while others cleaned up the accolades. That selfless mindset will benefit both he and the Eagles moving forward.

With the transition to a hybrid front, the interior of the defensive line is one of the key positions which must be addressed. The Eagles have pieces in place who should be able to make the transition a smooth one in 2013.

2. What Will Year Two Bring For Fletcher Cox?

Unfortunately, the Eagles learned just how valuable Cox was when he wasn't on the field as a rookie in 2012. Cox started nine of his 15 appearances after being the No. 12 overall pick in the 2012 NFL Draft. He led all Eagles defensive linemen with 65 tackles and had 24 quarterback hurries. He was tied for the team lead with 5.5 sacks which was tied for fifth among all rookies and also among all NFL defensive tackles.

Cox's play was a bright spot for the Eagles as he was named to the Pro Football Writers Association's All-Rookie Team. Cox thrived as a rookie despite dealing with family tragedy off the field and the struggles of the team overall on the field. Cox won't turn 23 years old until December. He is slated to play end in the 3-4 look and can move inside when the Eagles go 4-3.

General manager Howie Roseman raved about his ability to play strong against the run as a rookie. Cox has shown he can play on the other side of the field. Cox took a very workmanlike approach to the offseason and has full understanding of what's expected thanks to that whirlwind first year of experience.

The success of the Eagles defense in 2013 will depend on how well Cox performs whether in the middle of the line or on the edge.

3. Is Antonio Dixon Ready To Bounce Back?

One of the most inspiring stories on the Eagles' roster, Antonio Dixon utilized his raw power and strength and earned playing time as a rookie in 2009 which became a starting job in 2010. When the Eagles transitioned to a more upfield, attacking style of line play in 2011, Dixon wasn't a fit. He returned late last season and is in prime position to fulfill his potential once again in Davis' new scheme.

As pointed out earlier, the Eagles will rotate their linemen. It remains to be seen how often the Eagles will utilize each front, but they will need depth at both the nose and defensive tackle. Dixon earned plenty of reps in the spring camps. The question is can he regain the spark that he had as a player on the rise in 2010 or will Logan have to pick up the slack?

I am ecstatic about Fletcher Cox in year 2. A lot of people don't know how good of a rookie season he had. He was very disruptive on just about all fronts and his season flew under the radar. I think he will transition easily to a 3-4 DE. Can't wait to see him play.

I've seen some flashes of Cedric Thorton. We will see what he will do with his opportunities. I think the NT in the 3-4 will be a huge factor. We picked up Isaac Sopoaga who seems like a natural fit. Never was a star player but hopefully he can hold his weight. Antonio Dixon seems prime for that spot as well. Whoever winds up starting, hopefully they can be productive. Bennie Logan is someone that I am very interested in and think may have the potential be an undercover gem in our draft. Mainly because of his versatility. We will see though.

Eagles Add OT Michael Bamiro

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/article-1/Eagles-Add-OT-Michael-Bamiro/82c9fcab-a0b8-4118-b5ac-63f5aa40f4c9

With less than a week remaining before the start of Training Camp, the Eagles have added a promising young player into the mix along the offensive line. The team agreed to terms Tuesday with Michael Bamiro, a rookie out of Stony Brook.

Listed at 6-8, 335, Bamiro has taken a bit of a complicated path to the NFL. He attended the University of Pittsburgh as a freshman in 2008 but did not play football. Bamiro then transferred to Stony Brook University, where he had to redshirt the 2009 season. Once he finally found his way onto the field, Bamiro became a three-year starter for the Seawolves, earning a first team All-Big South selection in 2012. Recently, the NCAA ruled Bamiro ineligible to play in the upcoming season because, they ruled, his five-year window of eligibility began in 2008 and ended in 2012. After the ruling was announced, Bamiro applied for the NFL Supplemental Draft, but was denied entry because he was technically eligible for April’s NFL Draft, which he was unaware of.

After all of the confusion, Bamiro became a free agent, drawing attention from many teams around the league, before choosing to sign with the Eagles. The Tobyhanna, PA native started every game over the last three seasons for the Seawolves at right tackle. In 2011, the Pocono Mountain West High School product was a crucial piece of one of the best offenses in FCS football, as Stony Brook averaged 38.0 points per game.

Stay tuned for word of the roster move that will allow Bamiro to be added to the 90-man roster.

Edited by dutchff7

Being a Montana State fan, I watched Stony Brook in the playoffs. I saw them trample Villanova the week before they played MSU (trying to get a feel for them) and then obviously saw them again the next week. Great running game. They literally almost never threw forward passes, so I had no chance to see Bamiro in protection, but he can maul- I know that for certain. He's too tall to kick inside, but if he has the feet for OT then the Eagles might have a nice project on their hands.

Being a Montana State fan, I watched Stony Brook in the playoffs. I saw them trample Villanova the week before they played MSU (trying to get a feel for them) and then obviously saw them again the next week. Great running game. They literally almost never threw forward passes, so I had no chance to see Bamiro in protection, but he can maul- I know that for certain. He's too tall to kick inside, but if he has the feet for OT then the Eagles might have a nice project on their hands.

That sounds great. Being 6'8, he better be able to maul something lol. Hopefully he shows up in the run department like you said and has the ability to develop in protection as well.

DeSean Jackson expects Michael Vick to win the Eagles' quarterback competition.

"He’s been there, going on 12 years in the NFL, I think he’ll get the job," Jackson said on ESPN. "Going into camp, I think Michael Vick will probably be the starter, but we still don’t know. I think Chip Kelly’s gonna keep everybody honest and keep everybody open." D-Jax is right that it's in Kelly's best interest to keep everyone guessing, which he has done splendidly his first six months on the job. Kelly has muddied the waters, but there's still more working in Vick's favor than against him.

Source: Philly Mag: Birds 24/7

Eagles LT Jason Peters has won a nearly $2 million lawsuit against the makers of the Roll-A-Bout knee walker.

A faulty Roll-A-Bout was responsible for Peters re-tearing his Achilles' tendon last May. Peters has also closed the case on his June arrest for drag racing and "resisting a police officer by flight." He paid a $656.50 fine. Peters has insisted he's 100 percent healthy, but he'll almost certainly be eased into camp.

Source: Associated Press

Eagles Agree To Terms With Lane Johnson

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/article-1/Eagles-Agree-To-Terms-With-Lane-Johnson/0c93e600-7fe5-4a13-9e49-fc834a988d32

The Philadelphia Eagles announce they have agreed to terms with tackle Lane Johnson on a four-year contract.

"We're very excited to have all of our draft picks ready to go for the start of training camp," said general manager Howie Roseman. "I give Lane and his agent, Ken Sarnoff, a lot of credit for their work in getting this deal complete. Both had stated to us how important it was to get this deal signed before the rookies report on Monday and they kept their word. We're all looking forward to watch Lane get his NFL career started."

Johnson (6-foot-6, 310 pounds) was the Eagles' first-round pick and fourth overall selection in the 2013 NFL Draft. The 23-year-old played collegiately as a quarterback, tight end and defensive lineman before transitioning to the offensive line as a junior in 2011. After transferring from Kilgore College in 2009, Johnson went on to appear in 32 career games at Oklahoma, starting 25 total contests (13 at left tackle, 12 at right tackle). He garnered second-team All-Big 12 honors as a senior after anchoring a Sooner offense that ranked 12th in the nation with 497.9 yards per game.

A native of Groveton, Texas, Johnson earned all-district, all-region and all-state honors as a quarterback at Groveton High School. He also lettered in track and field, placing fourth in the shot put at the state’s track championship.

:rockon:

Edited by dutchff7

Eagles Claim RB William Powell

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/article-1/Kelly-First-Contact-Practice-On-Sunday/83299c82-bb2c-41e3-bb96-69d759217b43

On the eve of the report date for the rest of the 90-man roster, the Eagles made a roster move, claiming former Arizona Cardinals running back William Powell on waivers. Wide receiver Nick Miller was released to make room for Powell on the roster.

"Certainly the way that we want to play, we want to make sure that we have good competition and we saw this guy, he was on the 53-man roster for Cardinals last year, he was their third-leading rusher," general manager Howie Roseman said after the transaction. "We studied him when we played them, we studied him in the preseason and for us it was a no-brainer when you're talking about adding him to our 90-man roster"

New Eagles RB William Powell

Powell, 25, originally joined the Cardinals as an undrafted free agent in 2011 and spent most of that season on the team's practice squad. The 5-foot-9, 207-pounder then spent the 2012 season on the Cardinals active roster, rushing for 217 yards on 60 carries (3.6 yards per carry) in 13 games. He added 19 catches for 132 yards (6.9 yards per catch). He also has experience as a kickoff returner, where he had an average of 24.1 yards per kickoff return on 21 returns, good for 15th in the NFL.

"In the preseason last year we studied him; quick, tough, good hands, got a lot of work," Roseman said. "So he was a guy that we thought could upgrade the competition at the running back position.

"Good vision, quick, runs really hard, he can also return kickoffs ... he's a little undersized in terms of height but he's fun to watch because he's getting yards after contact."

Roseman was asked if the addition of Powell had anything to do with the failed conditioning test of rookie running back Matthew Tucker.

"Well I think coach said it's an important part of our program, (you have to) be able to pass a conditioning test to be able to play in the NFL, but for us we have to press our guys and have competition," said Roseman. "We're excited to add him and see what he can do."

Miller, 26, signed with the Eagles as a free agent during the offseason.

Shurmur: Chip Kelly Will Call The Plays

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/article-1/Shurmur-Chip-Kelly-Will-Call-The-Plays/2b1822f5-4367-4344-bb77-fe59f45bccad

Offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur has a slight advantage over all of the other new coaches that were brought in by Chip Kelly this past off-season - he’s been here before.

Shurmur was part of the Eagles coaching staff from 1999 up until 2008. He spent his first two seasons as a tight ends/offensive line coach before moving to work with the quarterbacks in 2002. It’s a good thing for Shurmur that he is familiar with the quarterback position, because that’s arguably the spot with the most intrigue regarding the 2013 Philadelphia Eagles.

“Everybody's interested,” said Shurmur. “And what I've learned in my two former lives - my last two teams - is that when there's interest in a topic, the people interested are very persistent about asking about it. I don't laugh about it; I think it’s predictable.”

Shurmur fielded a plethora of questions regarding the team’s starting signal-caller. He says that even though some candidates are more experienced than others, all of them come in as rookies in head coach Chip Kelly’s system. However, the best part about the whole competition is that there is still a lot of time to make a judgment.

“We're watching these guys work,” Shurmur told reporters Thursday morning. “We're watching our quarterbacks function in our offense and we're going to try to put them in as many situations as they're going to see on gameday through this Training Camp process. It's practice. It’s the preseason games. We have a couple of good practices here against the Patriots, so we've got a lot of football to be played and a lot of situations for all of these guys to go through.

“Michael (Vick)'s been through all these situations, but Michael hasn't been through them in our system, so I think that's what we're trying to do is see him function that way. That's just one example, but Nick (Foles) and Matt Barkley have done the same thing.”

Offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur

Barkley is a fourth-round pick, but dealing with a rookie quarterback is something that Shurmur has become very familiar with, especially in recent years. Shurmur was the offensive coordinator in St. Louis when Sam Bradford won the AP Offensive Rookie of the Year honor and he was the head coach last season in Cleveland when Brandon Weeden earned the job. Shurmur believes that rookies are always candidates to win starting jobs right away.

“What's important about rookies is … you've seen them do some tremendous things in college,” Shurmur said. “You've seen them be good decision-makers. You've seen them be accurate. You've seen them lead their teams to many, many victories and you've seen them do it in college. What's important is that they get here, absorb as much as they can, and show us that they can do it at this level, and I think that's the key.

“Whether a guy becomes a starter quickly or it takes him half a year, as in Donovan (McNabb)'s case, or a full year, as in some other quarterback situations, ‘How much can they absorb? How quickly can they get up and running in your system and go out and play winning football?’ I think that's what we're looking for.”

One reason analysts state that Barkley lasted until the fourth round despite a sterling collegiate career was his arm strength. While all of the quarterbacks on the Eagles roster having varying degrees of arm strength, Shurmur said that there are more important factors to being an effective passer.

“I think arm strength is important, but if you're not a good decision-maker and you can't throw the ball accurately, arm strength means very little,” Shurmur explained. “I think it's fair to say that you always want guys who can throw the ball and be able to throw the ball very far, but also, they can't play quarterback unless they can throw it accurately. I think that's more important.”

Even though Chip Kelly will be calling the plays, Shurmur still must do all that he can to familiarize himself with the up-tempo style of play.

“It's one of the principles that makes (the offense) successful,” Shurmur said. “I think as time has gone on, you’ve seen that increase paced, high-tempo-type offense work its way into the NFL. It's a lot of what we do and I think it's very important.

“There are a lot of smart defensive coaches in this league and I'm sure they're having meetings on how to deal with it. But that is one of the benefits, depending on what the situation is or how it gets created. If you're playing with pace and you don't substitute then the defense will have a hard time, we hope, getting new people on the field. …You try not to react to the defense. We try to be the first to the ball. I think that's one principle of playing with pace, is being able to (dictate matchup through pace).”

While most of the questions fired Shurmur’s way were about the quarterbacks and tempo of the offense, he was also asked about fixing the Eagles’ turnover problems. Last season, Shurmur’s Browns team had the fourth-fewest amount of turnovers in the NFL.

“We emphasize it a great deal,” he told reporters. “I think our guys did a good job at taking care of the football. You've got to have a healthy respect for the football. We all know that if you turn the ball over a lot, you really limit your chances of winning a football game. I think it's important. We talk about it daily - ball security, catching the football is very, very important in this league. I tend to believe that you get what you emphasize, and that's our focus as we coach them.”

Will elaborate on this later when I have time.

Michael Vick opened Eagles camp Friday working with the first-team offense.

Vick was the first-teamer, Nick Foles ran with the twos, and rookie Matt Barkley quarterbacked the third-string offense. Per ESPN's Sal Paolantonio, Vick "really looked good" in the first practice, and "this job is Michael Vick's job to win or lose." Philly beat writers believed all spring Foles was the favorite. It's still a wide-open camp battle that won't be settled until mid to late August.

Nick Foles had 18 first-team snaps during Friday's first full-squad practice compared to 25 for Michael Vick.

Although Vick took the first snap with the starters, it's clear he has a competition on his hands. The coaches are giving Foles nearly as many reps with the 1s, something that figures to continue until one quarterback separates himself. If neither one does, the job will be Vick's. It's considered his to lose.

Source: Philadelphia Inquirer & Daily News

Edited by RogerGoodellSucks

Is it me or do the Eagles have a ridiculously hard schedule?

Jeremy Maclin Tears ACL

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/article-1/WR-Jeremy-Maclin-Tears-ACL/b6cffd47-1c50-41b4-8903-b32d02ce841a

UPDATE: The Eagles announced that Jeremy Maclin tore the ACL in his right knee as a result of an injury sustained during Saturday's practice.

Wide receiver Jeremy Maclin suffered a right knee injury during Saturday's practice which resulted in the fifth-year player being carted off the field.

"He just came off the line of scrimmage and his knee buckled a little bit," fellow wide receiver DeSean Jackson said. "It's an unfortunate situation. Hopefully, it's not too bad.”

Jackson and Maclin were the starting wide receivers for the highest-scoring offense in team history in 2010 and the offense which gained the most yards in franchise history one year later.

WR Jeremy Maclin

"He's a great player. He's done some great things for this organization,” Jackson added. “Hopefully it's not too bad, so he can get back out here and play for us this year. Any time a player goes down on a stretcher and things like that, you definitely have to be concerned. Until we know further, just going to have to keep praying for him and hope he's all right."

Guard Evan Mathis felt "terrible" since Maclin is someone who loves the game of football.

"You hate it more for that individual than for its impact on the team because you know how much, especially someone like Mac, who was all-in, eat, breathe, drink, sleeps football and has done a lot for this team and wants to do a lot more. It's going to be hard on him mentally if it's bad," Mathis said.

"No matter how bad it is, Mac's the kind of guy who will get it fixed, get it prepared and get it back where it needs to be eventually."

Maclin is unfortunately no stranger to adversity. He endured a difficult childhood and was taken in by the family of his little league football coach. In 2011, Maclin had a lymphoma scare prior to the start of Training Camp, but persevered and was ready for Week 1 and played in 13 games collecting 63 catches for 859 and five touchdowns.

The Eagles' first-round pick in 2009 (No. 19 overall), Maclin garnered a team-high 258 receptions over the last four seasons. In fact, no wide receiver in franchise history has caught more passes than Maclin in his first four years. Maclin is entering the final year of his rookie contract.

Dam this is a hurt piece... I was excited to see Maclin in the new Chip Kelly offense. Maclin was a solid receiver and gave us solid steady production. A fun playmaker to watch. This may be Riley Coopers chance to move up in the ranks and grab the #2 spot. Hopefully Arreilous Benn can step up as well because I think he has good potential.