Sign in to follow this  
Dutch

Eagles State of the Franchise 2013

Just a few thoughts on some of our players.

Nick Foles

Lesean Mccoy - Set a career high in rushing yards and won the rushing title. He made a lot of plays and had a great year. I wouldn't mind him getting used in the passing/screen game more though.

Desean Jackson - Set a career high in receptions, yards and tied for TDs. Had good splash games but isn't consistent. Also continues to get shutdown in big games. Need a #1 receiver still.

Riley Cooper - Chemistry with Foles was awesome. He was invisible with Vick starting because Vick's vision blows. He stepped up and made some big plays for us this season.

Offensive Line - Kelce has been awesome and the reemergence of Peters is huge. Mathis is so underrated.

Zach Ertz - Splash plays here and there. Nothing major but I think there is some potential there. Hopefully he develops and has a bigger role in our offense.

Brandon Boykin - He has been awesome. Probably played the best slot corner in the league his year. He made a lot of impact plays in crunch time situations. He created a lot of turnovers and matched up well against good competition. This kids potential is huge. He's learning the hardest corner position right now and playing great and with his skill set, it may translate very well if he's moved to the outside later. I've seen him make great plays on the outside too.

Cedric Thorton - Thorton is Howie Roseman's gem of his era. Thorton has been amazing this year playing great football. He's awesome against the run being a great run defender.

Bradley Fletcher - I like Fletcher a lot. He makes plays and doesn't get beat often. He's somewhat under the radar on our team, but I like him a lot.

Free Vinny Curry!

Mychal Kendricks - Super athletic and has much potential but he is one of the most inconsistent players we have. Over pursues with his speed at times (think that's probably because so anxious to make a play; needs more discipline) and he misses tackles too much for my liking. He's a splash player and has made some great plays but no stability in his game. I hope he improves in year 3. If he gets more disciplined, I still believe he can be a great linebacker.

Donnie Jones - This man was God sent this year.

Team needs:

OLB - We need a premier pass rusher SO badly. I hope we are able to land a great one in the first round of the draft. Trent Cole played okay. He didn't do bad in the run game but his pass rushing was extremely erratic. It wasn't good enough and he didn't produce in times that we needed him. He never quite did well against good LT and just abused the bad ones and continued that pattern this year.

WR - We need a legit #1 WR. Desean Jackson is definitely one of the most dangerous WRs in the NFL but he doesn't have what it takes to be consistent. He's a splash player and he's gotten shut down in every big game. Good CB's shut him down. Brandon Carr has his number, Patrick Peterson, Keenan Lewis shut him down in the playoffs etc. We need a true #1 guy; a big body receiver that can get physical and go up for the ball. I still want to resign Maclin and hope he isn't damaged goods and I want Cooper to stay. Funny situation because I'm still attached to Avant as well but just have to wait and see how things play out.

Safety - We definitely need safeties. Wolff is still a work in progress but Patrick Chung is absolute garbage. I personally still don't like Nate Allen. He has improved this season though. However, I still don't trust him. I do believe it would still be a good move to keep him having experience and no sure guarantee of getting anyone better but we need to address this position regardless.

ILB- I like Demeco. Demeco made some good plays this season; more good than bad and has given our defense a back bone being a leader and a motivator. I'd still like to get someone young here and start breeding him up. I also don't mind having competition here and hopefully get Kendricks going.

Kicker - Alex Henery missed some crucial field goals this season; definitely in the playoffs losing by one point having missed a makeable 40ish yarder FG. His mid 40 - 50 range is extremely unreliable and we definitely need to address this.

I disagree with the wide receiver as a need. I wouldn't put that as a need. A want maybe. Considering the depth at the position with the emergence of cooper and maclin's probable return, I'd say there are better things to concentrate on. If a wideout falls in your lap I guess you go with it

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I guess you can say that it's a huge want of mines. If Maclin isn't damaged goods, we should be fine. Foles has done a good job seeing the field and spreading the ball around so I think he could make due. But we do need a guy opposite of Jackson who can be a consistent threat. Maclin has put up really solid #2 WR production and is always a threat. I just hope he's the same guy.

If Foles can keep playing like he did this year, you guys won't need a top flight WR. Make sure to tighten up that defense. ;)

Edited by Sarge

Yeah, with Foles vision seeing the field so well and capable of spreading the ball around, it shouldn't be bad if Maclin returns. Personally, I just want a big body receiver really bad. While both of our receivers, Jackson and Maclin are play makers and a threat at any given time, I've seen them both get man handled and disappear in big games at times as well. Maclin is more our go to guy and can catch the ball anywhere on the field but memories of both our receivers screwing up in crunch moments are still on my mind. I'd just like to have a physical receiver. However, I would like to see that dynamic with Jackson, Maclin, and Foles. I know that it can still be dangerous. I just hope it's dangerous when we really need it to be. If Hakeem Nicks wasn't so injury prone, I'd be all for the Eagles signing him. Think he's going to hit the market this offseason. But defense is definitely a bigger concern at the moment and I hope we draft a premier pass rusher in the first round and hopefully get a veteran safety like Jairus Byrd in the offseason :pray:.

Edited by dutchff7

Eagles have money to spend so Byrd will be theirs if they want him. :yep:

Eagles have money to spend so Byrd will be theirs if they want him. :yep:

It'd be great if you were right but Byrd is CF type safety. It think it'd be important still have a guy come up and make the tackles and I don't see that guy on the roster now. Way too many big plays come off of missed tackles this year. That definitely needs to be a focal point in the offseason and if Mychal Kendricks doesn't improve his tackling I don't see how we can start him at ILB again. He was putrid 90% of the time this year. Ryans is out of scheme with his skill set, but he's a great locker room guy and he gets the defense lined up. I'd honestly rather keep Ryans in the starting line up but he's going to be cut I think.

As a Steelers fan, I obviously appreciate good tackling in the secondary, but that's not the only way to build a competent defense. if you can put up enough points, a defense that can get you some turnovers at the right time can be just as effective. Byrd has a great nose for the football. He's not the best tackler out there but he is a great playmaker and any defense would become better by having him.

As a Steelers fan, I obviously appreciate good tackling in the secondary, but that's not the only way to build a competent defense. if you can put up enough points, a defense that can get you some turnovers at the right time can be just as effective. Byrd has a great nose for the football. He's not the best tackler out there but he is a great playmaker and any defense would become better by having him.

Yeah, I agree with this. Our defense has been shaky this year but one thing about our defense I can say is that we have some very timely turnovers in crucial moments that has helped us win games. Byrd definitely adds to that and would be one of the best cover defenders on our team. He's a quality safety. Sign him as a Free Safety and keep Earl Wolff close to the line of scrimmage or resign Nate Allen unless we get someone better through draft or a surprise free agent pick up. Byrd would easily be the best safety on our roster. It's hard to find well rounded safeties anyway who can cover and tackle well outside of Eric Weddle and Earl Thomas. Byrd isn't a great tackler but he is awesome in coverage. I've grown tired of seeing inconsistent safety play having blown coverages the last couple of years.

Edited by dutchff7

Well good tackling isn't the only way to have a good defense but it was a big issue for the Eagles this year. We have some good young defensive linemen, we need pass rushers too but we really need to improve our tackling first I think. For the record I would love Byrd to come here.

Philly Mag considers Matt Barkley the leading candidate to be the Eagles No. 2 quarterback in 2014.
Michael Vick once said he'd be willing to return as Nick Foles' backup, but he's since backpedaled on that. Vick is the top quarterback available in free agency and should get a chance to compete for a starting job elsewhere. Barkley and G.J. Kinne are the only other quarterbacks on the Eagles roster behind Foles. Coach Chip Kelly recently said he remains high on Barkley. Jan 28 - 10:02 AM

The Philadelphia Daily News reports impending free agent Michael Vick "very badly" wants to start in 2014.

Reporter Les Bowen expects Vick to move on from the Eagles. Vick will undoubtedly draw interest as a "bridge" starter from quarterback-needy teams, but won't have much room for error wherever he ends up. It's possible he won't find the market he's looking for, and returns to Philadelphia as Nick Foles' backup. Vick turns 34 in June.

I hope Vick gets a shot to start somewhere. He was a total class act and great teammate after Foles took his job this season.

• Upvote 2

CSN Philly does not expect the Eagles to sign free agent safeties Jairus Byrd or T.J. Ward.

Byrd and Ward are clearly the two top options available at safety, a spot the cap-rich Eagles desperately need help at. They haven't won a playoff game since letting Brian Dawkins walk following the 2008 season. However, GM Howie Roseman hinted that he doesn't intend to break the bank to plug the hole. CSN Philly considers Chris Clemons, Mike Mitchell and Antoine Bethea more likely targets.
Related: T.J. Ward, Eagles
Source: CSN Philly
Feb 5 - 11:17 AM

Let the sadness sear.

Well if the Eagles don't plan on signing a FA then I would have to guess they plan on drafting a safety and this is a very good class for corners and safeties imo. Having said that, this could definitely be a smoke screen.

I'm okay with avoiding Byrd and Ward. Over the last 5 seasons, how many free agents who were paid top dollar continued their all-pro level play with their new teams?

I'm okay with avoiding Byrd and Ward. Over the last 5 seasons, how many free agents who were paid top dollar continued their all-pro level play with their new teams?

Both Byrd and Ward are relatively young though.

The Philadelphia Inquirer suggests free agent FS Malcolm Jenkins as a target for the Eagles.
Safety has been the biggest hole on the Eagles roster since Brian Dawkins left. They've missed in the draft (Nate Allen, Jaiquawn Jarrett) and missed in free agency (O.J. Atogwe, Pat Chung), leading to an annual leaky secondary. Jenkins, a converted corner, won't break the bank but would be an upgrade on the hideous four-headed monster of Allen, Chung, Kurt Coleman and Colt Anderson.
Related: Eagles
Source: Philadelphia Inquirer

He's not the best player in the world but could be a good stop gap guy. I'd be shocked if we don't draft a safety.