Sign in to follow this  
KempBolt

How does your team's roster stack up?

I did this on a Chargers board the other day in the effort to see where our roster stacks up with the rest of the league. The idea is to point out the starting players on your roster that you believe to be better than the league average. It's a subjective exercise, so just try to be as fair-minded as possible.

For the Chargers, I think we're better than the league average at:

-Free Safety: Eric Weddle is the best safety in the league, period.

-Right Inside Linebacker: Donald Butler is a stud and still ascending.

-Right Defensive End: I think Corey Liuget was a top 5 34DE last year, and he's only 23.

-Left Defensive End: Kendall Reyes was a shockingly good pass rusher as a rookie.

-Left Cornerback: Derek Cox struggles to stay on the field, but he's an above average corner when he's out there.

-Quarterback: Rivers has struggled for the last two years as his offense was dismantled around him. I still think he's a better QB than the league average, with potential to return to probowl form.

Tight End: Gates is in decline, but I still can't think of 16 guys who I would take on my team ahead of him.

Those are the 6 players that I feel confident enough in to label better than average. Beyond them, I think there's potential in guys like Thomas, Te'o, Wright, Gilchrist, Fluker, Rinehart, Mathews, and several of our wide receivers. But those guys are either unproven, playing new positions, or have been too injury prone for me to fairly add them to the list.

So where does your team rate? At how many positions are your better than the middle of the pack?

Edited by KempBolt

Running Back: Doug Martin is one of the most promising young RB's in the NFL and as long as he stays healthy, I think we have ourselves a top 5 RB for many years to come. I mean as a rookie, he was 3rd in the NFL in total yards from scrimmage, only behind AP and Megatron. Can't ask for much more.

Wide Receiver: Vincent Jackson and Mike Williams make for a very good WR duo. Both guys are big bodies and can go up and take the ball out of the air. They fit perfectly in Sully's throw down the field offense.

Offensive Guard: Carl Nicks is arguably the best guard in the NFL, and Davin Joseph is a Pro Bowler himself. We have a lot of money invested in our guards, and that is why they are probably the best guard duo in the NFL.

Left Tackle: Donald Penn gets a lot of hate, but the guy is a very solid OT. He held is own against some very good pass rushers last year, and despite everyone always saying he is out of shape, he continues to play solid every year.

UnderTackle: Gerald McCoy is a monster when healthy. We all saw what a difference him being on the field does for our run defense. The only problem with McCoy is staying healthy. If he can stay on the field, McCoy can be a top 5 DT.

Weakside Linebacker: Lavonte David had himself one hell of a rookie year and had one of the biggest impacts on our defense. As a rookie, he was calling plays and led the team with 20 TFL (I think that ranked for 3rd in the NFL behind Watt and Miller). Lots of people said he was too small to play in the NFL, but the guy rarely misses tackles and is constantly in the opponents backfield. Another guy people said was too small for the NFL was Derrick Brooks. How did that work out again?

Cornerback: Darrelle Revis is the best CB in the NFL, if he comes back from his injury 100%. Even if he doesn't, I still think he'll be a top 5 CB. Other than Revis, our CB's aren't great, but I'm excited about Jonathan Banks. I think he can make for a very good #2 CB.

Strong Safety: Dashon Goldson was an All Pro last year and is very good with run support and can make plays in coverage too. I expect him to have a huge impact on our defense this year. Probably going to help out Mark Barron a lot too.

Running Back: Doug Martin is one of the most promising young RB's in the NFL and as long as he stays healthy, I think we have ourselves a top 5 RB for many years to come. I mean as a rookie, he was 3rd in the NFL in total yards from scrimmage, only behind AP and Megatron. Can't ask for much more.

Wide Receiver: Vincent Jackson and Mike Williams make for a very good WR duo. Both guys are big bodies and can go up and take the ball out of the air. They fit perfectly in Sully's throw down the field offense.

Offensive Guard: Carl Nicks is arguably the best guard in the NFL, and Davin Joseph is a Pro Bowler himself. We have a lot of money invested in our guards, and that is why they are probably the best guard duo in the NFL.

Left Tackle: Donald Penn gets a lot of hate, but the guy is a very solid OT. He held is own against some very good pass rushers last year, and despite everyone always saying he is out of shape, he continues to play solid every year.

UnderTackle: Gerald McCoy is a monster when healthy. We all saw what a difference him being on the field does for our run defense. The only problem with McCoy is staying healthy. If he can stay on the field, McCoy can be a top 5 DT.

Weakside Linebacker: Lavonte David had himself one hell of a rookie year and had one of the biggest impacts on our defense. As a rookie, he was calling plays and led the team with 20 TFL (I think that ranked for 3rd in the NFL behind Watt and Miller). Lots of people said he was too small to play in the NFL, but the guy rarely misses tackles and is constantly in the opponents backfield. Another guy people said was too small for the NFL was Derrick Brooks. How did that work out again?

Cornerback: Darrelle Revis is the best CB in the NFL, if he comes back from his injury 100%. Even if he doesn't, I still think he'll be a top 5 CB. Other than Revis, our CB's aren't great, but I'm excited about Jonathan Banks. I think he can make for a very good #2 CB.

Strong Safety: Dashon Goldson was an All Pro last year and is very good with run support and can make plays in coverage too. I expect him to have a huge impact on our defense this year. Probably going to help out Mark Barron a lot too.

I would agree everwhere except LT. I can name more than 16 LT's that I would prefer to Donald Penn. He's not a bad player, but I don't think he's above average. But the Bucs have some talent, no doubt. For your sake, I hope that Freeman can be added to this list in a year's time.

I would agree everwhere except LT. I can name more than 16 LT's that I would prefer to Donald Penn. He's not a bad player, but I don't think he's above average. But the Bucs have some talent, no doubt. For your sake, I hope that Freeman can be added to this list in a year's time.

Yea, Penn was the one guy I was debating putting on here. I didn't make a list, but I think I'd have him in the 12-14 range. What 16 guys would you have over Penn?

And I'm hoping I can put Freeman on here too. I am one of his biggest fans, and I really hope he can breakout this year. He really has no excuses now that he has a year under the offense and the secondary is fixed.

Edited by RogerGoodellSucks

Yea, Penn was the one guy I was debating putting on here. I didn't make a list, but I think I'd have him in the 12-14 range. What 16 guys would you have over Penn?

And I'm hoping I can put Freeman on here too. I am one of his biggest fans, and I really hope he can breakout this year. He really has no excuses now that he has a year under the offense and the secondary is fixed.

I would go with (in no particular order): 1. Braden Albert, 2. Ryan Clady, 3. Joe Staley, 4. Russell Okung, 5. Michael Roos, 6. Duane Brown, 7. Eugene Monroe, 8. Sam Baker, 9. Jordan Gross, 10. Nate Solder, 11. D'Brickashaw Ferguson, 12. Trent Williams, 13. Jason Peters, 14. Joe Thomas, 15. Andrew Whitworth, 16. Matt Kalil, 17. Will Beatty, 18. Tyron Smith.

But I can see a few names on that list being debatable.

I would go with (in no particular order): 1. Braden Albert, 2. Ryan Clady, 3. Joe Staley, 4. Russell Okung, 5. Michael Roos, 6. Duane Brown, 7. Eugene Monroe, 8. Sam Baker, 9. Jordan Gross, 10. Nate Solder, 11. D'Brickashaw Ferguson, 12. Trent Williams, 13. Jason Peters, 14. Joe Thomas, 15. Andrew Whitworth, 16. Matt Kalil, 17. Will Beatty, 18. Tyron Smith.

But I can see a few names on that list being debatable.

I think Baker and Beatty are questionable, but everyone else on the list, I agree with. So yea, you're probably right. Penn shouldn't be on my list.

BTW, I am surprised you don't have Gates on your list. I know he is getting old and injuries are bothering him, but I'd still rather have him than a lot of starting TE's.

Edited by RogerGoodellSucks

I think Baker and Beatty are questionable, but everyone else on the list, I agree with. So yea, you're probably right. Penn shouldn't be on my list.

BTW, I am surprised you don't have Gates on your list. I know he is getting old and injuries are bothering him, but I'd still rather have him than a lot of starting TE's.

Yeah, Baker and Beatty are debatable because- while they were probably better than Penn last year- they have a very short track record of successful play. So I think you could take them either way.

I left Gates off because, while I think he will be a better than average TE this season, he wasn't a year ago. Or at least our offense didn't allow him to look like one. But I guess as I actually try to think through the names, there aren't all that many I would put ahead of him at this point. I'll add him.

-Free Safety: Eric Weddle is the best safety in the league' date=' period.[/quote']

Disagree. Earl Thomas' stats are on par with Weddle's (relative to time in the league), despite being on a better defense with more playmakers.

For :Seahawks:

S: Earl Thomas, Kam Chancellor.

CB: Richard Sherman, Brandon Browner, Antoine Winfield.

LB: Bobby Wagner

DL: Brandon Mebane, Chris Clemons.

OL: Russell Okung, Max Unger.

RB: Marshawn Lynch

WR: Percy Harvin, Sidney Rice

QB: Russell Wilson

S/T: Jon Ryan

Of that list, I'd say Chancellor, Winfield, Clemons, and Rice are above average, but not by a lot, for various reasons. Rice has the talent with the freak catches he makes, but not the production. Clemons has been consistently very good since we acquired him for the LEO, racking up 11+ sacks in three straight years. Winfield is one of the best slot corners, the best against the run, but average in coverage. Chancellor is perfect for what we need him for making plays up in the box, but his coverage skills are average at best.

Disagree. Earl Thomas' stats are on par with Weddle's (relative to time in the league), despite being on a better defense with more playmakers.

For :Seahawks:

S: Earl Thomas, Kam Chancellor.

CB: Richard Sherman, Brandon Browner, Antoine Winfield.

LB: Bobby Wagner

DL: Brandon Mebane, Chris Clemons.

OL: Russell Okung, Max Unger.

RB: Marshawn Lynch

WR: Percy Harvin, Sidney Rice

QB: Russell Wilson

S/T: Jon Ryan

Of that list, I'd say Chancellor, Winfield, Clemons, and Rice are above average, but not by a lot, for various reasons. Rice has the talent with the freak catches he makes, but not the production. Clemons has been consistently very good since we acquired him for the LEO, racking up 11+ sacks in three straight years. Winfield is one of the best slot corners, the best against the run, but average in coverage. Chancellor is perfect for what we need him for making plays up in the box, but his coverage skills are average at best.

So having more talent around him causes ET to be underrated? Interesting take. The other side of that argument would be that Weddle's production has come despite not having reliable teammates around him and being by far the least targeted player in his secondary.

I try not to be a homer, and I don't think I am with my take on Weddle. FO and PFF agree that he was better than everyone not named Jarius Byrd in coverage last season (and the season prior for that matter). And of the people who are in the conversation with him coverage wise, none come close in terms of his ability to drop into the box and fill vs. the run or rush on a blitz. Taking all that together, I have no hesitation calling him the unrivaled best.

But I agree with the players on your list. It's straight up stupid that you guys added arguably the best NB in the league to your secondary (allowing that he plays at 2012 levels).

I would have included Michael Bennett on my list. One of the best LE's anywhere in 2012. And Zach Miller is good enough to make that list if given the opportunities. I really prefer the overall amount of talent on the Seahawks to the 49ers, truth be told.

Edited by KempBolt
  • Upvote 2

Not very many. lol.

CJ at wide receiver... Cause he's like, the GOAT.

Rob Sims at LG... Cause he's one of the better guards in the league.

Suh and Fairley... Suh's already one of the best DTs in the league and Fairley was well on his way.

That's all folks!

I would have included Michael Bennett on my list. One of the best LE's anywhere in 2012.

Love Michael Bennett and I am pissed we didn't bring him back, but I don't think I'd put him up there yet. I'd like to see another year of how he played like last year. If he does it again though, then no doubt he should be on the list.

Not very many. lol.

CJ at wide receiver... Cause he's like, the GOAT.

Rob Sims at LG... Cause he's one of the better guards in the league.

Suh and Fairley... Suh's already one of the best DTs in the league and Fairley was well on his way.

That's all folks!

What are your thoughts on Tulloch and Stafford?

Love Michael Bennett and I am pissed we didn't bring him back, but I don't think I'd put him up there yet. I'd like to see another year of how he played like last year. If he does it again though, then no doubt he should be on the list.

That's true- not much of a track record.

If you hold him up against all 4-3 DE's, then probably not. But if you restricted the field to LE's, he probably qualified for me. But Seattle is scary with him, Clemons, Irvin, and Avril.

That's true- not much of a track record.

If you hold him up against all 4-3 DE's, then probably not. But if you restricted the field to LE's, he probably qualified for me. But Seattle is scary with him, Clemons, Irvin, and Avril.

That's true. And I agree that the Seahawks DE rotation is very scary. All of those guys can rush the passer and they will have a lot of fresh legs out there. Don't think the other guys are too great at stopping the run, especially Irvin and Avirl, but I know Bennett is.

I'll give this a shot for the Titans and I'm sure people will disagree:

Runningback: I know we have a lot of CJ haters and he definitely has his faults, but especially with the addition of Shonn Greene the unit is definitely above average

Wide Receiver: we don't have any individual WR that's near the top of the league, but we've got a four man unit (Britt, Wright, Washington, and Hunter) that I'd put against just about any unit in the league

Offensive Tackles: I think we've got the best pairing in the league, I understand that's debateable, but we're definitely above average

Guards: two new starters definitely makes it hard to really say for sure, but I think by the end of the season Levitre and Warmack will be in the conversation for best guard tandem in the league

Safeties: again, nobody is really top of the league good, but the trio of Griffin, Pollard, and Wilson I think is inarguably above average

Kickers: we've got one of the best field goal kickers and one of the best punters in the league

So that leaves a few groups, so while I'm at it here's where I rank them:

Quarterback: complete wild card, I'd say high end Locker stays healthy and puts in an average or slightly above season, low end Locker doesn't stay healthy and Fitzpatrick shows why the Bills cut him

Center: I'm really not sure who's starting, but based on the likely candidates (Velasco and Swearinger) I think we'll rank around the middle of the pack

Defensive Line: will definitely be improved from last year, but at this point I'd say they'll probably prove to be average or a hair below

Linebackers: a bit of a wild card, but I think average is about the middle of my range of expectations for the unit

Cornerbacks: I'd say about average, I'd put Jason McCourty above league average and I'm a fan of Alterraun Verner, though I don't think he's spectacular, and beyond those two we don't have much, I'm expecting third round pick Blidi Wreh-Wilson to get a lot of time so it's hard to really call the unit well above average, but I don't think they're a bad group

Edited by oochymp

What are your thoughts on Tulloch and Stafford?

I almost put Stafford, but his play this past season doesn't warrant it. I think he was around average/slightly above average last year. But he was top 10 in 2011. A lot is riding on this upcoming season.

Tulloch is kinda in the same boat. In 2011 he was one of the best ILBs but this past season he took a major step back. Looked really slow and sluggish.

I think the Lions have a couple of guys who are in that average, possibly above average level.

I'll give this a shot for the Titans and I'm sure people will disagree:

Runningback: I know we have a lot of CJ haters and he definitely has his faults, but especially with the addition of Shonn Greene the unit is definitely above average

Wide Receiver: we don't have any individual WR that's near the top of the league, but we've got a four man unit (Britt, Wright, Washington, and Hunter) that I'd put against just about any unit in the league

Offensive Tackles: I think we've got the best pairing in the league, I understand that's debateable, but we're definitely above average

Guards: two new starters definitely makes it hard to really say for sure, but I think by the end of the season Levitre and Warmack will be in the conversation for best guard tandem in the league

Safeties: again, nobody is really top of the league good, but the trio of Griffin, Pollard, and Wilson I think is inarguably above average

Kickers: we've got one of the best field goal kickers and one of the best punters in the league

So that leaves a few groups, so while I'm at it here's where I rank them:

Quarterback: complete wild card, I'd say high end Locker stays healthy and puts in an average or slightly above season, low end Locker doesn't stay healthy and Fitzpatrick shows why the Bills cut him

Center: I'm really not sure who's starting, but based on the likely candidates (Velasco and Swearinger) I think we'll rank around the middle of the pack

Defensive Line: will definitely be improved from last year, but at this point I'd say they'll probably prove to be average or a hair below

Linebackers: a bit of a wild card, but I think average is about the middle of my range of expectations for the unit

Cornerbacks: I'd say about average, I'd put Jason McCourty above league average and I'm a fan of Alterraun Verner, though I don't think he's spectacular, and beyond those two we don't have much, I'm expecting third round pick Blidi Wreh-Wilson to get a lot of time so it's hard to really call the unit well above average, but I don't think they're a bad group

I was thinking more of starters than of position groups.

I think CJ is fair. You have to know what he is, but if you give him space he'll eat it faster than anyone else in the league. I don't like Greene at all.

Michael Roos and Andy Levitre definitely fit. David Stewart also arguably.

Jason McCourty deserves to be on there. And if Zach Brown doesn't yet, he will soon.

Jurrell Casey is a stud and so is Derrick Morgan, even if they're not statistically impressive.

I was thinking more of starters than of position groups.

I think CJ is fair. You have to know what he is, but if you give him space he'll eat it faster than anyone else in the league. I don't like Greene at all.

Michael Roos and Andy Levitre definitely fit. David Stewart also arguably.

Jason McCourty deserves to be on there. And if Zach Brown doesn't yet, he will soon.

Jurrell Casey is a stud and so is Derrick Morgan, even if they're not statistically impressive.

fair enough, I thought I'd start with units as a whole, largely because I wanted to include the receiving corps, but as far as individuals I agree with the guys you listed (though I wouldn't call Stewart 'arguable,' the only thing that's 'arguable' with him is whether or not he's the top RT in the game) I also think Greene is underrated and will be a great compliment to CJ, but it's hard to call him more than an average RB

I'd also add Michael Griffin as an above average free safety, though maybe not by a lot, he didn't look very good last year but a lot of that was scheme and personnel, we alternated between two guys across from him, Jordan Babineaux, who's a decent strong safety, and Robert Johnson, who's a mediocre free safety, and moved Griff around so he was often out of position, he played very well with Chris Hope starting next to him and I expect him to do the same this season with Pollard/Wilson playing with him

and if I'm listing individual players I've gotta include Bironas and Kern

Edited by oochymp

fair enough, I thought I'd start with units as a whole, largely because I wanted to include the receiving corps, but as far as individuals I agree with the guys you listed (though I wouldn't call Stewart 'arguable,' the only thing that's 'arguable' with him is whether or not he's the top RT in the game) I also think Greene is underrated and will be a great compliment to CJ, but it's hard to call him more than an average RB

I'd also add Michael Griffin as an above average free safety, though maybe not by a lot, he didn't look very good last year but a lot of that was scheme and personnel, we alternated between two guys across from him, Jordan Babineaux, who's a decent strong safety, and Robert Johnson, who's a mediocre free safety, and moved Griff around so he was often out of position, he played very well with Chris Hope starting next to him and I expect him to do the same this season with Pollard/Wilson playing with him

and if I'm listing individual players I've gotta include Bironas and Kern

Didn't mean to criticize the way you went about it. I feel the same way about the Chargers' receiving corps- no one big star, but deep with solid players.

Fair enough on Stewart, but I'd disagree on Griffin. I don't want to offend, so know this is just my humble opinion, but I think he's one of the worst starting safeties in the league. I've never seen someone miss tackles at such an alarming clip, and his coverage seems to be getting worse. If I was a Titans fan, I'd be hoping for Wilson and Pollard to start.

Offensive Tackles - Solder and Vollmer is a terrific pair of tackles that do a great job of keeping the pressure off Brady

QB - Tom Brady still chugging along at an elite level

TEs - Gronk and Hernandez when healthy are the best pair of TEs in the game

Nose Tackle/Defensive Tackle - Vince Wilfork is one of the best in the game at taking up blockers and stuffing the run

ILBs - Mayo and Spikes and both sure tacklers, and Spikes especially is one of the hardest hitters in the game. I don't consider them elite but they're good.

Offensive Tackles - Solder and Vollmer is a terrific pair of tackles that do a great job of keeping the pressure off Brady

Nose Tackle/Defensive Tackle - Vince Wilfork is one of the best in the game at taking up blockers and stuffing the run

ILBs - Mayo and Spikes and both sure tacklers, and Spikes especially is one of the hardest hitters in the game. I don't consider them elite but they're good.

I'd also add McCourty to this list.

No Mankins? I know he had a down year, but I think he's still better than your average bear.

Also, what are your thoughts on Ridley?

Yeah, you could add McCourty and possibly also Talib. But my feeling on McCourty is he does a good job of not getting beat over the top, but I feel like we are always so vulnerable with the intermediate routes. Flacco tore us apart in the AFC Championship with these 15-20 yard passes over the middle and teh safeties were always playing back, afraid to let anything get behind them. It was infuriating to watch. I think he's a coachable player and works hard, but I don't consider him a playmaker. And really no natural instincts for the game. His 2nd year when he really struggled as a CB he would have good coverage but he just would never turn and locate the football.

I think Mankins is overrated :shifty:

I like Ridley, he's a good hard runner. I think I'd probably say he's in the 13-14 range of RBs which is about average though. The next thing for him would be to work on his hands so he can catch passes more often.

Edited by BradyFan81

Going with the #1 at every position, and ranking if they're top 16 at their position(or top 8 for positions like FS/SS, RDE/LDE, etc). The rough area where I'd rank them in parentheses.

QB - Locker(25-28) - Nope

RB - Johnson(6-10) - Yep

FB - Q.Johnson(12-14th? If there are that many) - Are there even 16 starting FBs in the league? Either way, he's not very good. Nope.

WR - Britt(20-25) - Nope because of health/jail.

TE - Walker(18-20) - Nope

LT - Roos(1-3) - Yep

LG - Levitre(1-3) - Yep

C - Velasco(8-11) - Yep

RG - Warmack(Likely somewhere between 1-5) - Probably will be

RT - Stewart(1-3) - Yep

RDE - Wimbley(9-12) - Nope

DT - Casey(8-10) - Yep

DT - Hill(20-22) - Nope

LDE - Morgan(4-6) - Yep

SLB - Ayers(9-12) - Nope(kind of on the border with him)

MLB - McCarthy(18-20) - Nope

WLB - Brown(6-8) - Yep

CB - McCourty(10-13) - Yep

SS - Pollard(7-9) - Yep

FS - Griffin(16) - Nope

K - Bironas(1-5) - Yep

P - Kern(4-6) - Yep

Returner - Reynaud(12-14) - Yep

Edited by .AirMcNair.