Dutch

Which QB situation will perform the best?

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB situation will perform the best?

• Eagles: Michael Vick, Nick Foles, Matt Barkley
    • Raiders: Matt Flynn, Terrelle Pryor, Tyler Wilson
    • Bills: Kevin Kolb, E.J Manuel, Jeff Tuel
    • Vikings: Christian Ponder, Matt Cassel
    • Jets: Mark Sanchez, Geno Smith, Greg McElroy
    • Browns: Brandon Weeden, Jason Campbell, Brian Hoyer
    • Jags: Blaine Gabbert, Chad Henne, Mike Kafka
    • Titans: Jack Locker, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Rusty Smith

I'm going with my Eagles on this one. We have a pretty good supporting cast around our QB(s). I personally believe Nick Foles will win the starting job. He showed some flashes last year behind the one of the worst O-lines in the league. Good poise, pocket presence, showed mobility stepping up into the pocket and rolling out the pocket, and seemed decisive where he wanted to go with the ball. That's just my take on getting the starting QB job. As far as performing better than the rest of these guys, I think he has some good talent to work with that will make his job easier.

If Ponder steps it up a notch, not only will he perform better than the rest of these guys, I can see that team being a legit threat in the NFC North with all the weapons they have.

Edited by dutchff7

I voted for the Browns. Weeden struggled last year, and he'll have a steep learning curve in Norv Turner's offense. But that said, his rookie season probably wouldn't be viewed as negatively as it is if it wasn't being held up against the most prolific season in NFL history for rookie QB's. And while he's old for a 2nd year player, he still has the physical skills to make it work.

The supporting cast also really helps too. The offensive line is very good- especially at the tackles and at center. Trent Richardson should help keep the pressure off the passing game, and my gut tells me that Josh Gordon and Jordan Cameron are going to flourish in this system. And it won't hurt at all that Chudzinski, the head coach, can balance out Norv's ridigity with his penchant for creative offense that suits player strengths.

The backups are not great, but I put very little weight in that. This question for me is really about which starter I can see performing the best.

• Upvote 1

I voted for Christian Ponder. The kid has probably the best situation of all of these guys with the running game and receiving threats that he has. He has the least number of excuses of all of them.

I voted for the Browns. Weeden struggled last year, and he'll have a steep learning curve in Norv Turner's offense. But that said, his rookie season probably wouldn't be viewed as negatively as it is if it wasn't being held up against the most prolific season in NFL history for rookie QB's. And while he's old for a 2nd year player, he still has the physical skills to make it work.

The supporting cast also really helps too. The offensive line is very good- especially at the tackles and at center. Trent Richardson should help keep the pressure off the passing game, and my gut tells me that Josh Gordon and Jordan Cameron are going to flourish in this system. And it won't hurt at all that Chudzinski, the head coach, can balance out Norv's ridigity with his penchant for creative offense that suits player strengths.

The backups are not great, but I put very little weight in that. This question for me is really about which starter I can see performing the best.

This was actually a bold prediction that I thought of and forgot to put it in the thread. That Norv Turner transforms Weeden and that offense into a productive offense. They have a good set of tools to do so like you pointed out. If Turner can get some good and consistent production out of Weeden, not only will they have a formidable offense, they can become a formidable team with their talent on the defensive side of the ball.

I voted for Christian Ponder. The kid has probably the best situation of all of these guys with the running game and receiving threats that he has. He has the least number of excuses of all of them.

That's not a bad pick. The running does really take a lot of pressure off of Ponder, and the OL is pretty good. And while I think the starting WR's are being overrated (Jennings past his prime and Patterson more athlete than receiver right now), Jarius Wright should surprise and who knows what Joe Webb will be able to accomplish. Makes you wish they had converted Webb out of the gate. Plus Rudolph/Carlson should be a better TE tandem this season.

This was actually a bold prediction that I thought of and forgot to put it in the thread. That Norv Turner transforms Weeden and that offense into a productive offense. They have a good set of tools to do so like you pointed out. If Turner can get some good and consistent production out of Weeden, not only will they have a formidable offense, they can become a formidable team with their talent on the defensive side of the ball.

Definitely. It ultimately comes down to TRich and the running game IMO. Because Norv's offense is hard on QB's in their first seasons under it, but if they can lean on the ground game Weeden ought to be alright. It will just require Trent staying healthy and producing.

None of these QB situations really impress me, but I think I'd go with the Vikings. Ponder has a lot of weapons to work with (apparently Patterson has been killing it in OTA's) and has the best RB in the NFL to rely on and create easier matchups for their receivers because so much attention will be on AP.

I would vote for the Eagles, but it looks like Vick is going to be a starter and he is just way too prone to turnovers. If they had another coach and started Nick Foles, I'd probably vote for them. Foles can be solid, but I don't see him fitting in Chip Kelly's offense.

None of these QB situations really impress me, but I think I'd go with the Vikings. Ponder has a lot of weapons to work with (apparently Patterson has been killing it in OTA's) and has the best RB in the NFL to rely on and create easier matchups for their receivers because so much attention will be on AP.

I would vote for the Eagles, but it looks like Vick is going to be a starter and he is just way too prone to turnovers. If they had another coach and started Nick Foles, I'd probably vote for them. Foles can be solid, but I don't see him fitting in Chip Kelly's offense.

Hard to say who will/won't fit what Kelly is up to in Philly. Conventional wisdom says that he'll need a mobile QB, but then he went and draft Barkley. So I'm thinking that while he's going to run a lot of hurry up, he might not be as heavy on the zone read as people are predicting. The Patriots use a lot of similar tactics as what Oregon has in the past, with the difference being that Brady doesn't run with it himself.

Minny

None of these QB situations really impress me

Yeah, that was the theme of this thread. These are some of the worst QB situations in the league right now.

Hard to say who will/won't fit what Kelly is up to in Philly. Conventional wisdom says that he'll need a mobile QB, but then he went and draft Barkley. So I'm thinking that while he's going to run a lot of hurry up, he might not be as heavy on the zone read as people are predicting. The Patriots use a lot of similar tactics as what Oregon has in the past, with the difference being that Brady doesn't run with it himself.

This. That's what I've been saying. A lot of people have the preconceived notion a Chip Kelly offense needs a running QB. They try to stamp and label it as if he's going to use the same exact offense from Oregon. He'll probably use some of the same concepts but to say that it needs a running QB, they don't know. A lot of people don't realize that Foles is a mobile QB either. He's not a running QB, but he's mobile and can step up and roll out the pocket. I also think Chip did make a statement by selecting Matt Barkley as well. He wouldn't draft a non-mobile QB if his offense required one.

Yeah, that was the theme of this thread. These are some of the worst QB situations in the league right now.

This. That's what I've been saying. A lot of people have the preconceived notion a Chip Kelly offense needs a running QB. They try to stamp and label it as if he's going to use the same exact offense from Oregon. He'll probably use some of the same concepts but to say that it needs a running QB, they don't know. A lot of people don't realize that Foles is a mobile QB either. He's not a running QB, but he's mobile and can step up and roll out the pocket. I also think Chip did make a statement by selecting Matt Barkley as well. He wouldn't draft a non-mobile QB if his offense required one.

Oregon's offense was unique because of its pace and the way to spread defenses laterally. Those are the aspects I expect to see in Philadelphia. Attempting to get in as many snaps on offense as possible. Having a QB that runs was nothing new or unique. In fact, it's an older concept than pocket passers.

The QB situation where "Hand the ball to Peterson" is the solution.

I think Weeden will benefit from the Norv Turner effect and have a good year. Still going with Vick though :grinno:

Edited by dutchff7

What Rob Chudzinski and Norv Turner are going to bring to the Browns' offense is consistency and a high percentage passing attack. I think Weeden will have a break out year (At least amongst the quarterbacks listed) and he will be solid.

I'm just not sold on the Chip Kelly program in Philly. I take that situation as a close #2 though right now.

Said Eagles from the beginning, they've looked good. Sticking with it. :shrug:

But like others, not surprised but impressed with what Norv is doing in Cleveland. Coaches simply matter. A famous saying is "players not plays", and while it rings true, you also can put players in position to succeed via good coaching. Norv is a guy who can do that. I'm closely watching to see if Jedd Fisch can do the same with Gabbert. I've never been big on Gabbert as you all know, but I liked how Fisch had him playing up tempo and getting rid of the ball quick like he did in college, it fits his strengths and blocks out areas he's strikingly weak at.

From what I've seen so far in preseason, the Bills have impressed me. EJ Manuel has done well in his first two preseason games, and if he recovers from his knee injury, I think he could have a chance to have a very good rookie season. They have quite a bit of potential on both sides of the ball, and if things click they could have an outside chance of a wild card spot, but more likely an 8-8 record. Granted Kolb is an injury prone QB, but as a backup he is more than good enough to step in when required; and as for Tuel, he had a big performance in the first game of preseason, and looks to have talent himself. So for me, I think the Bills might perform the best.

The next best I think will be the Eagles. Granted I am still not sure Vick is their long term answer, but he seems to be doing very well in Kelly's offense. So if he can perform consistently and stay healthy, then the Eagles have enough weapons on offense to cause opposition defenses a ton of trouble. Plus, Foles and Barkley have the talent to step in and do well.

They'd be my top two. The Browns could also be in with a shout.

Edited by Mike975

Can't believe I said Minny. :disgust:

That's all i need to see. :smug: