Sarge

2013 MLB Trade Deadline

I don't know what the Reds will do. We are currently the second playoff team in the NL. We have Broxton, Marshall, and Ludwick all coming off of injury soon-ish. That's like three new players there. We don't need starting pitching. We could use bullpen help, but if healthy we may be alright with the way Parra and Partch have been pitching. If LeCure can pitch like he was at the beginning of the year, I think we are fine, but bullpen is always something teams are looking for and I think we will be.

We may be looking for a 3rd baseman like Michael Young. Or a LF. Proabably a bench hitter.

It'll be interesting. Hoping Chapman and Leake for Giancarlo Stanton, or something of the like.

Stanton won't be traded this year at the deadline, but if he was, you'd have to give up more than Chapman and Leake to get him.

Stanton won't be traded this year at the deadline, but if he was, you'd have to give up more than Chapman and Leake to get him.

That was more or less a pipe dream. We would probably have to throw in Billy Hamilton and some sort of pitching prospect, but I would not trade Cingrani. Maybe a lower level guy with a decent ceiling like Drew Cisco or a guy closer to the bigs but with a higher floor like Sharky Rogers.

So, we may be in the market for a starter now. Bud Norris please if we're going that route.

I would immediately hang up the phone if the Reds were offering Leake, Chapman and Hamilton + some lottery ticket for Giancarlo.

@Ken_Rosenthal Rival clubs say price for #Royals’ Santana is high, maybe even higher than what #Cubs got for Garza. KC wants major-league ready talent.

Joel Sherman reports that the Pirates (and the Rangers) keep calling the Marlins about Giancarlo Stanton, but that Jeffrey Loria doesn't want to trade him.

There is probably some truth to it, yea.

Yep, I guess there is.

Soriano's trade to Yankees nearly complete. Citing sources, ESPN.com reported that of the estimated $24.5 million remaining on Soriano's contract through next season, the Cubs will pay about $17.7 million and the Yankees the remaining $6.8 million, $5 million of that coming next year, when Soriano is due to be paid $18 million.

The Cubs will get a pitching prospect in return, sources told ESPN.com.

@Ken_Rosenthal Trade: #Braves announce acquisition of LHP Scott Downs from #Angels for RHP Cory Rasmus. Strong add to bullpen by Atlanta.

@BizballMaury Tigers acquire RHP Jose Veras from the Astros in exchange for outfielder Danry Vasquez and player to be named later on or before Sept 15
Edited by Sarge

Indians are after Outman of the Rockies. His ERA is a bit high but thats probably due to the park he pitches in. His #s against lefties are outstanding. Hopefully we can add a bat prefer a 3rd basemen and a reliever before the deadline.

Rays get Jesse Crain for the White Sox, good move to try and add a quality arm to the bullpen.

What happens if the clubs can't agree on a "player to be named later" ?

Usually there's a list that the one team gets to choose from. If the other team decides they actually don't want to trade anyway, then they have to come up with a monetary value for compensation.

Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune tweeted that the White Sox asked for Jameson Taillon or Gregory Polanco for Alex Rios and the Pirates quickly said no. Travis Sawchik tweeted that their showing interest in Alex Dickerson, so it appears the asking price for Rios has gone down.

If all they want is Dickerson and a few other C prospects, we should get it done. Rios isn't a huge masher, but we need a bat in RF.

Pirates just traded for Bud Norris. Apparently they gave up Tyler Glasnow. Not a fan of giving him up but fuck it, gotta strike while the iron is hot. Norris will help shore up the back end of our rotation.

Edit: Dodgers signed Brian Wilson.

Edited by Sarge

Fuck it's like a fire sale for the White Sox right now.

Just now reading this (sorry been vacant from the boards for quite sometime) and nice to see the interest generated by the trade deadline.

I have a few of my own observations as well:

1) Glad the Braves did NOT trade for a starting pitcher yet (and certainly glad it wasn't Bud Norris who I think is decent but not an improvement for the Bravos). The Braves pick up of Scott Downs for almost nothing is a good fit for the club.

2) I was shocked that the Pirates did not pick up a rightfielder. Don't get me wrong I think they have an excellent club (and are in good position after their series with the Cardinals) but still a lot of season left. Little improvements can make a big difference when the time comes.

3) I was also shocked that the Phillies and Mariners especially weren't more active at the deadline. Both had some pieces that they could have moved and picked up some players of benefit (even if in the minors) since the players moved would have been pending free agents anyway. ---I will say that I would not be suprised to see Michael Young or even Cliff Lee moved now during the waiver period. (remember last year the big Dodgers/Red Sox trade happened after the non waiver trade deadline was past.)

4. I think that the Orioles actually did the most to benefit their 2013 club because of the several (but gradual albeit) improvements they made. Not one big improvement but several small ones.

I agree on all counts. I really thought the Pirates would add quite a few pieces at the deadline, but the asking prices for decent players was absurdly high. Apparently, Neal Huntington made an offer to the Marlins for Stanton that interested the front office, but the owner overruled it. I would've loved to have Stanton in RF. The Pirates were also in on Norris, Morneau, Byrd, Rios, Schierholtz, and Peavy for a while. I think Huntington tried hard, but teams were asking for Jameson Taillon and/or Gregory Polanco and Huntington said he would not part with them under any circumstances.