Sarge

2013 MLB Trade Deadline

It's July now and the rumors have already started slightly. Will your team be a buyer, a seller, or will they stand pat?

The Pirates are definitely going to be buyers, but as is always going to be the case with Huntington, he's not gonna give up top prospects for "top" trades. I expect he'll try to bolster the rotation, the bullpen, the bench, and hopefully RF. So instead of pulling off one big trade, we'll probably see the Pirates make some mid-market moves to try to strengthen the roster.

Indians will probably be in buy mode, they spent a lot of money in FA and the team needs some pitching and another hitter.

Cliff Lee is a pipe dream, but he would be nice to get. I would say someone like Bud Norris is more realistic for us.

Not sure we will do much of anything. I would have said we would be looking to trade an OF to bring up Oscar Taveras, but he has found himself back on the DL and we might wait for the roster expansion to bring him up if we bring him up at all this year.

I am sure Mozeliak will be calling around checking on the value of pitching, but ultimately, not sure if a deal will get done.

Fully expect us to stand pat.

Edited by Favre4Ever

I know Pirates fans are going to be disappointed probably by the strategy I outlined, but we only really have to play .500 ball the rest of the way to make the playoffs. That would give us 92 wins. We could do that even with the current team, but any small upgrades are going to make it even more likely that we see the Pirates in the playoffs this year.

I've been saying this a lot lately, but, feels good, man. :smug:

Phillies should initiate a major firesale. Lee, Utley, Papelbon, Ruiz, absolutely anyone who collects a suitable return, except for Hamels and Brown.

Nothing major. Probably something similar to 2010 when our big move was getting Rick Ankiel and Kyle Farnsworth, except I don't think the players will be that shitty. A middle reliever ala Jesse Crain and/or a utility infielder.

Edited by Tridentdawgpound

Phillies should initiate a major firesale. Lee, Utley, Papelbon, Ruiz, absolutely anyone who collects a suitable return, except for Hamels and Brown.

Utley to the A's for a mid-level prospect. :smug:

If the reports about Wandy Rodriguez that just came out an hour or so ago are true, then the Pirates will almost certainly be in the market for a starting pitcher.

And we have our first trade:

The Baltimore Orioles bolstered their starting rotation Tuesday, acquiring Scott Feldman in a trade with the Chicago Cubs, a source involved in the negotiations told ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law.

According to the source, Baltimore also acquired backup catcher Steve Clevenger in the deal, which sent reliever Pedro Strop, starter Jake Arrieta and international bonus money to the Cubs.

Despite inconsistent starting pitching this season, the Orioles entered Tuesday with a 47-36 record. Baltimore's starting pitchers have posted a 4.79 ERA this season, the third-highest mark in the American League.

Feldman, 30, is 7-6 with a 3.46 ERA in 15 starts this season with the Cubs. Prior to signing with the Cubs this past offseason, the right-hander spent the previous eight years with the Texas Rangers and was a 17-game winner in 2009.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/9444795/baltimore-orioles-acquire-scott-feldman-deal-chicago-cubs-source-says

Marlins starter Ricky Nolasco is putting up his best numbers since 2008. Through 18 starts, the right-hander has a 3.85 ERA and is averaging 3.6 strikeouts for every one walk, his highest rate since 2010. As the 30-year-old is a free agent after the season and the Marlins are headed nowhere, Nolasco was expected to be a hot commodity leading up to the July 31 trade deadline.MLB.com's Joe Frisaro reports that the Marlins have already received offers from both the Dodgers and the Giants.

At least two offers are on the table for Marlins right-hander Ricky Nolasco.

According to a league source familiar with the talks, the Dodgers are offering a pitching prospect and are also willing to assume the remaining nearly $5.7 million Nolasco will make this season.

The Giants are said to be the other club, offering two pitching prospects. But San Francisco is looking for Miami to assume at least a portion of what is left on the right-hander's contract.

http://hardballtalk...._medium=twitter

The Nationals have acquired outfielder Scott Hairston in a trade with the Cubs, FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal tweets, citing a source. The Cubs will receive a minor-league pitcher in return, Rosenthal reports.

Hairston, 33, has played sparingly this year, hitting .163/.225/.398 in 111 plate appearances, the overwhelming majority of them against lefties. He would likely be used in a similar bench role with the Nationals. Hairston has a .244/.299/.447 line over ten seasons with the Diamondbacks, Padres, Athletics, Mets and Cubs. The Cubs signed him to a two-year, $5MM contract last offseason after he posted an .803 OPS with New York in 2012.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/07/nationals-acquire-scott-hairston.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

My thoughts on the Nolasco trade: First off good for him going to a potential playoff team. With a little more run support he should be fine as the Dodgers #4 or #5. Stephen Fife is throwing the ball well right now, so that's a nice rotation with Kershaw, Ryu, Greinke, Fife, Nolasco.

Good luck in Dodger Blue, Ricky.

@Buster_ESPN 6h

Diamondbacks are among the teams talking about Jake Peavy, and CWS have had scouts on hand at Arizona games; they've seen Randall Delgado.

Things have been quiet so far, but they'll pick up after the All-Star break.

Scott Lauber @ScottLauber

#RedSox have acquired Matt Thornton from White Sox for minor league OF Brandon Jacobs

I'm hearing that the Pirates are contacting the White Sox about both Alex Rios and Alexei Ramirez.

I expect the Mets to be sellers and the Tigers to be buyers, though I wouldn't be surprised if either one of them stayed put. Basically, everyone out there is looking for pitching relief help and closers, but the market for them is bad right now

The Pirates would like a middle of the order bat and are talking to Seattle about Kendrys Morales.

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 38s

Source: #Cubs will acquire Triple A IF Mike Olt, Single A RHP C.J. Edwards and a third player from #Rangers for Garza.

The third player in the Garza trade is Justin Grimm. Rangers got fleeced.

Rangers giving up four prospects for Matt Garza...

Imagine what the Phillies could have gotten for Lee. :sigh:

K-Rod to the Orioles for prospect Nick Delmonico.

Do the Pirates have prospects? I was just sitting here pondering at the fact that they'd inquire about Morales, and really what kind of price it would take to make trading Morales worth it. Dude was one of the most solid signings lately and was a quick fan favorite

Do the Pirates have prospects? I was just sitting here pondering at the fact that they'd inquire about Morales, and really what kind of price it would take to make trading Morales worth it. Dude was one of the most solid signings lately and was a quick fan favorite

They have two of the top 20 prospects in the MLB and a great farm system, overall.

You're probably not gonna get much for Kendry, though, if some team wants to take a flier on him.

Edited by BLUE

Heard rumors of Alfonso Soriano going back to the Yanks? Dont know if there is any truth to this.

There is probably some truth to it, yea.