Sign in to follow this  
Jules

Edward Snowden

But if the government just said "ok, we screwed up. Snowden won't be prosecuted" then he wouldn't have had to flee the country and be forced to give those secrets away in exchange for asylum.

• Upvote 1

And it's bogus to say he should just keep everything a secret if the information has implications across the globe. Get real, folks. If I would have told you this stuff was happening before he leaked it, you would have clenched your butt cheeks together really tight, held your nose high in the air and would have mocked me and said there was no legit source for that information.

Well... It's happening, and there is a legit source -- the government itself (well, in a roundabout way). He's not threatening our national security or economy, the government and its agencies did that with the actions they took initially.

I am not saying you have to like the information coming out nor the manner in which its happening... But let's not act like Snowden is actually at fault here. This wouldn't even be a story if there wasn't wrongdoing occurring by the people he is leaking this information on.

You want to cherry pick the truth, and that just isn't how it works.

Edited by Favre4Ever
  • Upvote 1

But if the government just said "ok, we screwed up. Snowden won't be prosecuted" then he wouldn't have had to flee the country and be forced to give those secrets away in exchange for asylum.

Rarely when I type LOL do I actually laugh out loud. This is one of the times I actually did.

• Upvote 1

Guess I can chime in on Snowden haven't been here in awhile. I appreciate Snowden telling the American people about the "phony" NSA spying. I might have even admired him had he stopped at that point. Now I view him as a traitor. Telling other countries we are spying and how we are doing it is completely irresponsible. The damages caused wouldn't be limited to our government. It endangers the lives of American citizens and that ain't fucking cool. I'm looking at the big picture. Him buddying up with Russia makes him a traitor on Obama's level. I think people forgot the hot Mic incident where Obama said "I'll have more flexibility after I'm reelected." This was well before his reelection. Well before campaigning. It made me uneasy for three reasons. 1. He was talking to the Russians. 2. What was he talking about? 3. He sounded Ohh so confident about his reelection as if it were already in the bag and the democratic process was merely a formality. Snowden could've stopped his leaks at the point in which he did the American people a service but he didn't. He is a traitor in my book. Many Americans opposed to the government want to put Snkwden on a pedestal because he put them in a tough spot but if you look at the big picture he put us all in a tough spot. I am not a fan of our government. I didn't join the military for the government. I did it for my family and I feel Snowden has now done more harm than good.

"All the world's a stage".....

And it's bogus to say he should just keep everything a secret if the information has implications across the globe. Get real, folks. If I would have told you this stuff was happening before he leaked it, you would have clenched your butt cheeks together really tight, held your nose high in the air and would have mocked me and said there was no legit source for that information.

Well... It's happening, and there is a legit source -- the government itself (well, in a roundabout way). He's not threatening our national security or economy, the government and its agencies did that with the actions they took initially.

I am not saying you have to like the information coming out nor the manner in which its happening... But let's not act like Snowden is actually at fault here. This wouldn't even be a story if there wasn't wrongdoing occurring by the people he is leaking this information on.

You want to cherry pick the truth, and that just isn't how it works.

What I want to know is well, if they are supposedly watching and spying on everything to prevent terrorist attacks.

Then well....why did the Boston Marathon attack happen? Mmmmhmmmmm.......

It was also extremely beyond creepy to see the entire city of Boston on lockdown. That shit freaked me out even more then the actual crime if you want me to be honest. I know that area pretty well too since I went to college in Boston.

Edited by Jules

What I want to know is well, if they are supposedly watching and spying on everything to prevent terrorist attacks.

Then well....why did the Boston Marathon attack happen? Mmmmhmmmmm.......

Considering the government has not denied that anything snowden said was true, I'd say it just furthers the point of how bogus their reasoning is.

Considering the government has not denied that anything snowden said was true, I'd say it just furthers the point of how bogus their reasoning is.

They fucking admitted it. Holder and several other representatives essentially said that this was usual and had been going on for close to seven years.

It swear my life is divided into 2 parts.

Pre 9/11

Post 9/11

Pre 9/11 it seemed like times were much looser, free and fun. But, then again hell President Clinton made us all feel like we should be having sex and snorting cocaine. :corn:

Then 9/11 happened when I was in college and boom...the bubble popped. Then you got felt up when flying. Security rose. People were glummer. People became paranoid.

And it has gone downhill ever since IMO.

I honestly feel bad at times for those who were too young to experience the pre 9/11 days. Granted bad shit happened even then but we had more of a sense of freedom and fun in the air.

The party ended with 9/11.

Edited by Jules

They fucking admitted it. Holder and several other representatives essentially said that this was usual and had been going on for close to seven years.

Which made Obama look AWFUL by the way. He comes out and says while it is happening, there are no abuses of it and there are checks to keep the system in place. What happens? Information is released in a document that says the NSA violated privacy rules nearly THREE THOUSAND times in a single year -- and that document was withheld form one of the oversight committee members.

Now, you do have to realize that some of those were, allegedly, made in error. But that number... Three thousand. Even factoring in mistakes in violating the law, the sheer number of ties it happened should dumbfound everyone.

I still love the government trying to make it look small by saying they only look at around 1.6% of the Internet. I like to think most people would realize that is an enormous amount of information, but sometimes I don't think so. The blind supporters of this keep throwing that number around without realizing most of the Internet is comprised of spam and ads; the 1.6% the NSA looks at is a gargantuan amount of information.

EDIT: Turns out it was 1.6%, not 1.8%.

Edited by Vikingfan465

I really hope someday our media will stop fucking us over. Some people do their due diligence and actually follow whats going on but if you watch the news at night and that is your only source of information you are incredibly misinformed. I really don't know how anyone can still be supporting the current administration. So many blatant lies have been told its incredible. Everyone in DC should be brought up on treason charges. Its amazing that congress wants to go after guys like Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds for lying under oath about steroids when Eric Holder and Jame Clapper lied through their damn teeth about serious shit and congress has done nothing. There is really no difference between the parties right now. There use to be but not anymore. Instead of being divided by politics the American people need to unite and remove all these assholes from positions of power. We need to peel back the layers of the government and fix this shit. There is no accountability in DC.

• Upvote 1

I really hope someday our media will stop fucking us over. Some people do their due diligence and actually follow whats going on but if you watch the news at night and that is your only source of information you are incredibly misinformed. I really don't know how anyone can still be supporting the current administration. So many blatant lies have been told its incredible. Everyone in DC should be brought up on treason charges. Its amazing that congress wants to go after guys like Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds for lying under oath about steroids when Eric Holder and Jame Clapper lied through their damn teeth about serious shit and congress has done nothing. There is really no difference between the parties right now. There use to be but not anymore. Instead of being divided by politics the American people need to unite and remove all these assholes from positions of power. We need to peel back the layers of the government and fix this shit. There is no accountability in DC.

Oh I absolutely agree with you. But, sometimes I often wonder how far gone we already are and if it is too late. The whole system is corrupt.

I have said many times before but I don't have a ton of hope for the future unless something miraculous occurs.

Guest Phailadelphia

I really hope someday our media will stop fucking us over. Some people do their due diligence and actually follow whats going on but if you watch the news at night and that is your only source of information you are incredibly misinformed.

“I will stand with the Muslims should the political winds shift in an ugly direction.”

-Barack Hussein Obama

I'd say those winds have shifted in an ugly direction.

ikr

• Upvote 2

Pretty tired of running into people who support the NSA with XKeyscore, PRISM, and their monitoring 1.6% of global Internet traffic.

I repeat 1.6% for the sake of mocking people who think that isn't an ungodly amount of data.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/oct/25/europe-erupts-nsa-spying-chief-government

Utterly pathetic.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/oct/25/nsa-no-congress-oversight

Even worse that the House Committee overseeing this piece-of-shit organization is practically defending them. This is no longer just "national security", and people should have realized that after we learned how much spying we've done on economic organizations and allied nations/governments. (Also pathetic that said allies didn't care until their leaders were victimized.)

The dude called his tune and now he has to dance to it.

Guest Phailadelphia

Anyone still think this shit head Snowden is a hero?

Its almost like he's revealing this information to keep himself from being sent back to the US. Maybe if we as a society encouraged whistleblowers, he wouldn't have felt like his life was in danger by staying here.

• Upvote 1

Wait what?

Because he let the rest of the nations know that the US is spying on them?

Yea maybe I missed something else. I still am far more upset about the spying than anything snowden did

Guest Phailadelphia

Wait what?

Because he let the rest of the nations know that the US is spying on them?

You think they aren't spying on us too? It's a kind of unspoken action. Nations spy on each other, friend or foe. But as far as I know, there's nothing in the Constitution that says we can't spy on other nations. What Snowden is doing now is severely cripple US relations abroad. It has fuckall to do with protecting US citizens from the NSA.

I agree with blots. I highly doubt any of that information would have been released if he wasn't going to face a life sentence for revealing such an injustice.

LMAO at acting like Snowden is crippling US foreign relations.

• Upvote 1