Sign in to follow this  
KempBolt

Update: Broncos suspend two execs for offseason DUIs

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/08/broncos-exec-arrested-for-dui-crashing-into-police-car/

This is the time of year NFL front offices worry the most about players.

But those front offices aren’t exempt from the concern, either.

According to CBS4 in Denver, Broncos director of player personnel Matt Russell was arrested and jailed over the weekend on charges including DUI and crashing into a police car.

According to the report, Russell was involved in an accident in the town of Frisco, and then crashed into a police car in the nearby town of Breckenridge. An officer who was in the car was hospitalized with what was described as minor injuries.

“Any time anybody is impaired and hits a fully-marked police car that person should not have been driving in the first place,” said Colorado State Trooper Nate Reid. “It’s a dangerous profession.”

Russell was charged with driving under the influence, careless driving resulting in injury, having an open container of alcohol in his car, and failure to display proof of insurance.

Russell was released on a $1,000 bond Sunday.

The former linebacker was viewed as John Elway’s heir apparent on the personnel side of the organization, and they even blocked the Chargers from interviewing him for their General Manager position this offseason.

Well that's not good.

Edited by BLUE

So what's the fallout for something like this? A non-star player would likely be cut, a star player would face some sort of league punishment. If guilty, does this guy get the boot and Heckert get promoted?

Yeah I have no idea. Methinks there will be a serious double standard for an exec.

I like the guy for what he did with us, but I want to see the league or the Broncos staff hit him hard. This is unacceptable.

This is actually a little bit funny, when you consider Elway ousted Xanders to give this guy a promotion, and never had anything but good things to say about him at the time.

I'd just like to be in these guys' heads sometime. I constantly wonder how people get themselves in these positions just flush it away.

Wouldn't care at all if he got the axe.

Idiot.

Maybe the broncos should hire him a cab to take him everywhere.

So now former players are calling out the front office for covering up Heckert's infraction:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/10/nalen-calls-broncos-cowards-for-silence-on-heckerts-june-arrest/

And it's come out that Russell's blood alcohol level was .246:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/10/report-matt-russells-bac-was-0-246-percent/

The best part is that he was drinking peppermint schnapps!

Broncos brass will huddle on Monday to discuss forthcoming discipline for pro personnel director Tom Heckert and player personnel director Matt Russell following their offseason DUI arrests.

Heckert's blood alcohol content following his June 11 arrest was 0.162 percent -- more than twice the legal limit. Russell, who hit multiple vehicles including a cop car before his arrest, blew a whopping 0.246. VP of Player Personnel John Elway, president Joe Ellis, and owner Pat Bowlen will discuss the Broncos' plan of action. We wouldn't be surprised to see Heckert and Russell both let go. At the very least, they'll both face suspensions.

Source: Denver Post

The Broncos could be subject to the league's salary remittance policy, which penalizes teams for repeat offenses within an organization.

Although typically enforced in relation to players, Commissioner Roger Goodell has the authority to apply non-player suspensions. Under the policy, the league can fine the team an increasing percentage of the employee's salary for each additional employee that is suspended. In Denver's case, Heckert is the first offender and Russell is the repeat offender. The policy allows the league to fine the Broncos 25% of Russell's salary.

Source: NFL.com

Edited by Vin

I read that Heckert's BAC was .162 SEVEN HOURS after his initial arrest.

Completely rampant irresponsibility. I don't care if they both get let go. They need to be made an example of that this kind of behavior won't be tolerated within this organization at any level. It's incredibly fortunate that they didn't hurt anyone but themselves.

Per Rotoworld.com:

Broncos suspended pro personnel director Tom Heckert one month without pay and player personnel director Matt Russell indefinitely without pay following their offseason DUI arrests.

They're lucky to still have jobs. Russell's DUI was particularly egregious, as he blew over three times the legal limit on BAC tests and hit a cop car with his Toyota Tundra while driving around at an extreme level of drunkenness. Heckert's DUI was more standard, blowing twice the legal limit but committing no other crimes. Still, it's been an embarrassing offseason for the Broncos' front office. Russell and Heckert are John Elway's top two lieutenants. Jul 15 - 2:33 PM

Source: Mike Klis on Twitter

I find it disingenuous that they're saying this behavior is "unacceptable" and suspending Heckert, when it's pretty obvious that they weren't going to do anything about it until Russell got caught and this all got strung out in the media. Saving face.

Note to NFL execs: Get drunk as shit and jump in a car and we'll give you a slap on the wrist and a summer vacation.

Suspensions were BS. At least one of these guys should have gotten the axe. Both if it were me wielding it. Completely dangerous irresponsibility and a blemish on the organization. :censored:

At the very least they should have traded them to Chicago :corn:

I remember Heckert when he was in Philly. Always thought he was shady... :shifty: