Jay24

"Seattle or San Francisco: Who wins the NFC West?"

16 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the NFC West

Seeing as I'm a 49ers fan, I expect us to win the division at 12-4. What are your guys thoughts?

I have Seattle winning the division at 12-4, with San Francisco close behind at 11-5. The improvements the Seahawks made, combined with the chemistry of the young team and the fact that they were this close to advancing to the NFC Championship Game last year, earns my vote for them. Not to mention, the 49ers need a true go to receiver now that Crabtree is out for the noticeable future

Gonna go with the 49ers on this one. Don't think the Seattle D can keep up with the niners high powered offense this season.

I went with the 49ers as well, but I expect both of these teams to be among the best in the NFC (and the entire NFL for that matter).

This is tough... I'd love to say the 49ers are going to win it again but I just don't know. Should be a great battle for the West crown.

Gonna go with the 49ers on this one. Don't think the Seattle D can keep up with the niners high powered offense this season.

You mean the high powered offense that couldn't win by more than a score in SF and that got blown out in Seattle? The high powered offense whose best receiver is injured?

Also we had the #1 scoring defense last year. NOBODY beat us by more than 7 points last year. Nobody anywhere should be questioning our defense. Our offense maybe, but not our defense.

Anyway, I have Seattle by one game.

Here's how I see it:

QB: Push

RB: Push

WR/TE: SEA

OL: SF

DL: SF

Pass Rush: Push

Secondary: SEA

LB: SF

So that's three areas where I think the Niners are better, 2 where I see the 'hawks with an advantage, and 3 areas where it's a coin flip. Slight advantage to SF in my mind.

I think that first match we had last season is going to be very reminiscent of what we get both games this year. Both teams have similar quarterbacks, run games, and defenses. Pete and Jim didn't like each other in college, and it hasn't changed as you've seen in recent interviews, especially Harbaugh's response to the Seattle Bruce Irvin adderall scandle.

We have the ingredients for a future Ravens Steelers decade long rivalry as I proposed with this thread: http://www.thegridironpalace.com/forums/index.php?/topic/65570-hawksniners-to-become-the-next-ravenssteelers/

I think it comes down to week 17. It could be as simple as who's healthy. If we see two healthy teams........ :panic:

Here's how I see it:

QB: Push

RB: Push

WR/TE: SEA

OL: SF

DL: SF

Pass Rush: Push

Secondary: SEA

LB: SF

So that's three areas where I think the Niners are better, 2 where I see the 'hawks with an advantage, and 3 areas where it's a coin flip. Slight advantage to SF in my mind.

Really? After all the DL aquisitions we picked up this offseason you just flat give the DL category to SF? Yes the DL/Pass Rush was our weak spot last year, but after this offseason with everything we've invested into it we now, at least on paper, have one of the best and deepest dlines in the nfl.

The D-line will be decent with Cliff Avril, Brandon Mebane, Red Bryant, and Jason Jones will hold it down until mid season when it will contain Chris Clemons, Red Bryant, Brandon Mebane, Cliff Avril, and Bruce Irvin all on the line of scrimmage :rock:

The D-line will be decent with Cliff Avril, Brandon Mebane, Red Bryant, and Jason Jones will hold it down until mid season when it will contain Chris Clemons, Red Bryant, Brandon Mebane, Cliff Avril, and Bruce Irvin all on the line of scrimmage :rock:

Irvin's being moved to LB. Also we don't have Jason Jones anymore. We got rid of him. We have Michael Bennett now. You need to keep up on your Seahawks news BC.

Really? After all the DL aquisitions we picked up this offseason you just flat give the DL category to SF? Yes the DL/Pass Rush was our weak spot last year, but after this offseason with everything we've invested into it we now, at least on paper, have one of the best and deepest dlines in the nfl.

Because I'm comparing slightly different schemes here, I'm comparing Avril, Bennett, Irvin, and Clemons (pass rushers) to Aldon Smith and Ahmad Brooks and Mebane, McDaniel, and Bryant (DL) to Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, and Glenn Dorsey. Matching the players up based on the roles they play in the defense.

I was listening to a guy who sets the opening lines for NFL teams in Vegas a couple days ago. His name's Jim Fortenbaugh. He said that the only thing that can cause a line to change from opening (~2 wks ago) to today is how the professional bettors respond to it. Vegas respects some of their opinions enough to raise or lower a line based on someone laying a heavy bet on the over or the under. Anyways, he made the comment that Seattle was a team that no one wanted the over on. He couldn't explain why, but he said the professional bettors didn't want to touch them. Thought that was odd. Maybe some weird trend they've found? Thought it was interesting because I see no reason on the roster not to think they'll be good this year.

I was listening to a guy who sets the opening lines for NFL teams in Vegas a couple days ago. His name's Jim Fortenbaugh. He said that the only thing that can cause a line to change from opening (~2 wks ago) to today is how the professional bettors respond to it. Vegas respects some of their opinions enough to raise or lower a line based on someone laying a heavy bet on the over or the under. Anyways, he made the comment that Seattle was a team that no one wanted the over on. He couldn't explain why, but he said the professional bettors didn't want to touch them. Thought that was odd. Maybe some weird trend they've found? Thought it was interesting because I see no reason on the roster not to think they'll be good this year.

That's because professional betters are cowards that will only bet on the surest thing, and right now the sure bet is the Niners. The Seahawks are the new blood. too many question marks. Russel Wilson is too great an unknown. These people bet for a living and the smart money is on the Niners. they won't bet on us until they're sure it's a bet they can't lose.

Yeah I fell off the map there for awhile, but I'm headed to training camp on the 25h :rock:

I think one of them is going to fall off due to injuries or something else. My guess is San Francisco falls off and doesn't even finish 2nd but its just a guess. They have a bunch of talent so it would take a lot of injuries. Could go either way. Heck both could and one of the others could step up. Arizona and St Louis both have some pieces and could surprise if there's a drop off :shrug: how's that for a definitive answer?