Sign in to follow this  
housemd

Browns plan 300 carries for Trent Richardson

Browns OC Norv Turner wants Trent Richardson to carry the ball 300 times this season.

"Obviously, the trend in the league is to not do that, but I think it depends on your team and everyone around it," Turner said. "If that player is your best player, then I think it's probably a good thing to have him in the game and give him the ball. So I would hope Trent would have that many carries." Only five running backs carried the ball at least 300 times last season; Richardson toted it 267 times. Stacked up at 5-foot-11 and 224 pounds, he's certainly built to handle the load.

No doubt Norv means it too. He's one of the few guys left in the league who prefers featuring a runner 80+% of the time to any sort of committee. And when his offense is working the way he wants it to, he definitely calls enough runs for a back to get up there. The only real caveat here is Richardson's health. Mathews would have gotten to 300+ carries too if he had been healthy (and reliable on 3rd downs).

Well him, Hardesty, and Brandon Jackson all have injury issues. Chris Ogbonnaya has been pretty healthy but hasn't every really carried the load and I'm sure he can. I don't know what Dion Lewis injury background looks like, but he's a small guy.

Hopefully he can stay healthy, and if he can't I'm not so sure the people behind him can either. We have talent back there, just not health.

If Richardson can stay healthy, they should be pretty solid. Any time you have a playmaking running back that's getting 20+ carries per game, it's a big advantage towards winning football games. Obviously everyone knows that so I'm just beating a dead horse. I do question whether or not he will be able to stay healthy.

None of those other guys seem like anything but 3rd down capable backs.

Well him, Hardesty, and Brandon Jackson all have injury issues. Chris Ogbonnaya has been pretty healthy but hasn't every really carried the load and I'm sure he can. I don't know what Dion Lewis injury background looks like, but he's a small guy.

Hopefully he can stay healthy, and if he can't I'm not so sure the people behind him can either. We have talent back there, just not health.

I'd say let's see how this year goes before we label him as an injury issue guy.

Well I'm just saying he suffered one his last year in college, and 2 last year, and already one this year, no matter how minor it is/was. There is reason for concern.

Browns OC Norv Turner is targeting 300 carries and 60 receptions for Trent Richardson this season.

Turner conceded Richardson will need breathers, but he wants his bellcow involved in every offensive package. (Unlike Ryan Mathews.) "It's hard for a tailback now to play every down the entire game, but they have to be prepared to play every down," said Turner. "If we're in a two-minute situation, I don't think any of us want Trent standing on the sidelines." Richardson finished his rookie season with 267 carries and 51 catches, and was the No. 9 overall fantasy back.

If he stays on the field, those are good numbers to target for a bellcow type of back. I'm waiting to see if he can break out though, I have a feeling he's just gonna be Mark Ingram all over again.

He's much better than Mark Ingram will ever be IMO. Also, he's proven that he can be effective even when injured, so while he has suffered injuries, the guy has produced. :yep:

Just like everyone else has said, if TRich stays healthy there's no reason this isn't a very realistic goal. He spent the whole season hurt last year and still showed flashes of being a great ball carrier. There's no reason, if healthy, he shouldn't be the workhorse the Browns whole offense is anchored around.

Edited by Hungle1207